Anyone seriously considering giving up their season tickets?

Posted 651 day(s) ago by Lost Chickasaw3661 Views 130 Replies
Results 101 to 131 of 131
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
  1. #101
    Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    Keep giving the athletic department money for shitty results. You're not a real fan unless you do.
    2004 - 12-1
    2005 - 8-4
    2006 - 11-3
    2007 - 11-3
    2008 - 12-2
    2009 - 8-5
    2010 - 12-2
    2011 - 10-3
    2012 - 10-3

    We could have one of the more spoiled fan bases in the country.
    2 users like Breastman's post: Drake, Mahler


  2. #102
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by sooner1011 View Post
    Yeah.. because the congestion caused by 85,000 people leaving the same place at one time is strictly a Norman issue.
    Exactly what has the city of Norman or OU done in the past 40 years to significantly improve football traffic around campus and to help it leave town?
    What little that has been done hasn’t come close to keeping up with the stadium expansions.... but worse it’s hasn’t come close to keeping up with the population growth of OU and the city of Norman.

    There are several solutions that would help…..
    Some, but not all, are fairly cheap considering the millions that are spent by OU fans during each home game.

  3. #103
    Originally Posted by Breastman View Post
    2004 - 12-1
    2005 - 8-4
    2006 - 11-3
    2007 - 11-3
    2008 - 12-2
    2009 - 8-5
    2010 - 12-2
    2011 - 10-3
    2012 - 10-3

    We could have one of the more spoiled fan bases in the country.
    I know FL fans that want a new coach after a loss to louisville.. One bad bowl loss and they want a new coach. Seems we need to play mediocre Conn. type teams to win our bowl games.

  4. #104
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I agree….
    but the State, OU and the city of Norman really do need to find much better solutions to parking and traffic congestion.
    This is an issue that all OU fans need to be vocal about and direct their concerns to their elected leaders
    I don't get this at all. Its 5 or 6 Saturdays a year. Getting in out of Norman is not that big of deal.

    You have 85K people coming in for an event. I'm not sure what you think can be done. That many people in cars is going to be congested.

  5. #105
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I don't get this at all. Its 5 or 6 Saturdays a year. Getting in out of Norman is not that big of deal.

    You have 85K people coming in for an event. I'm not sure what you think can be done. That many people in cars is going to be congested.
    It takes now more time to make your way out of town and as a result people leave close games early just to beat traffic. Not very much has been done to help in many years.

    If nothing else, it’s a much discussed issue of safety as the increased congestion does delay emergency response times.
    Due to the growth of Norman and OU I am not talking about doing very much that isn’t already needed in the everyday life of Norman area residents.

  6. #106
    SoonerAmongThePack's Avatar
    Posts
    4,651
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In The Clouds

    Originally Posted by Breastman View Post
    2004 - 12-1
    2005 - 8-4
    2006 - 11-3
    2007 - 11-3
    2008 - 12-2
    2009 - 8-5
    2010 - 12-2
    2011 - 10-3
    2012 - 10-3

    We could have one of the more spoiled fan bases in the country.
    Eye test. Do we honestly think that we have the players on campus (or committed) and the staff coaching them to beat the teams that will be competing in the BCS playoff?

  7. #107
    Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I don't get this at all. Its 5 or 6 Saturdays a year. Getting in out of Norman is not that big of deal.

    You have 85K people coming in for an event. I'm not sure what you think can be done. That many people in cars is going to be congested.
    there isn't anything OU can really do, or Norman. But it would be nice if our state can get on the ball and address some of its transportation issues. Light rail from Guthrie to Noble, crossing another rail from Tinker to Yukon would be nice, connected to relevant street car lines in downtown OKC and Norman, so ostensibly people wouldn't even have to drive into Norman, only their local rail stop. Heck, a rail from Tulsa to OKC as well.

    An OKC bypass for I44 for travelers from Tulsa that pulls off north of Jones, weaves east of Tinker (probably around the I40/I240 divide) then west of Lake Thunderbird and reconnects with I35 at Purcell, offering access to Highway 9 so that Tulsa travelers approach the campus from the East and OKC travelers approach the campus from the North, instead of both metro areas funneling their traffic from the north on I35.
    The following users like this post: OU48A


  8. #108
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by Master Pandemonium View Post
    there isn't anything OU can really do, or Norman. But it would be nice if our state can get on the ball and address some of its transportation issues. Light rail from Guthrie to Noble, crossing another rail from Tinker to Yukon would be nice, connected to relevant street car lines in downtown OKC and Norman, so ostensibly people wouldn't even have to drive into Norman, only their local rail stop. Heck, a rail from Tulsa to OKC as well.

    An OKC bypass for I44 for travelers from Tulsa that pulls off north of Jones, weaves east of Tinker (probably around the I40/I240 divide) then west of Lake Thunderbird and reconnects with I35 at Purcell, offering access to Highway 9 so that Tulsa travelers approach the campus from the East and OKC travelers approach the campus from the North, instead of both metro areas funneling their traffic from the north on I35.
    These are great ideas that would have a better chance of being built if OU & The City of Norman and OU fans made enough noise and supported them and made their views known to their elected state leaders no matter where they live in Oklahoma…..

    But OU and the city of Norman could better handle game day traffic and widen several city streets that are needed any way. Commuter rail will eventually be built and would help if it has enough capacity.

  9. #109
    Keller Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    506
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Keller, Texas

    Originally Posted by Lost Chickasaw View Post
    Pretty weak home schedule next year.... Cost will probably go up another $50 or so per seat as it has every year... We'll have a new QB... Just wondering if any of you are seriously saying "I'm out!" ???

    Naw man, hell naw, I'll be there!

  10. #110
    Originally Posted by Master Pandemonium View Post
    there isn't anything OU can really do, or Norman. But it would be nice if our state can get on the ball and address some of its transportation issues. Light rail from Guthrie to Noble, crossing another rail from Tinker to Yukon would be nice, connected to relevant street car lines in downtown OKC and Norman, so ostensibly people wouldn't even have to drive into Norman, only their local rail stop. Heck, a rail from Tulsa to OKC as well.

    An OKC bypass for I44 for travelers from Tulsa that pulls off north of Jones, weaves east of Tinker (probably around the I40/I240 divide) then west of Lake Thunderbird and reconnects with I35 at Purcell, offering access to Highway 9 so that Tulsa travelers approach the campus from the East and OKC travelers approach the campus from the North, instead of both metro areas funneling their traffic from the north on I35.
    We can keep the roads up now and you want to add a dedicated road from the Turner Turnpike to Norman? How about a high speed bullet train from Tulsa straight to Owen Field?

    Don't get me started on light rail. Nobody is going to ride the train! Sounds good in theory. We are trained in this society to come and go as we want, to stop and eat when we want on our own schedules. Amtrak and all passenger rail is nothing but a government money suck. The cost to build what you are proposing versus the need and wants of the general public doesn't even come close to a break even proposition.

    I agree that Norman needs some traffic work. But that is more on an overall need rather than just for 5-6 Saturdays a year.

  11. #111

    Anyone seriously considering giving up their season tickets?

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Most people are paying for entertainment and right now, they are not getting it. Was there anything entertaining about the Cotton Bowl as a Sooner fan?

    Pre-game margaritas at field level was pretty cool.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  12. #112
    Originally Posted by Lost Chickasaw View Post
    Pretty weak home schedule next year.... Cost will probably go up another $50 or so per seat as it has every year... We'll have a new QB... Just wondering if any of you are seriously saying "I'm out!" ???
    A new QB & different look on offense is one reason I'm excited for next year

  13. #113

    Anyone seriously considering giving up their season tickets?

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    It is a bad investment right now
    Investment? WTF?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  14. #114
    Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    A new QB & different look on offense is one reason I'm excited for next year
    +1

  15. #115
    Do the people wanting to get rid of their tickets think this was a bad year? They must not have gone through the Gibbs, Blake, Schelly years. If I kept my tickets, even buying two more, why would it even cross my mind to not renew my tickets. I am considering selling two just for the fact that the kids no longer live here and it gets to be a hassle selling single game tickets.

  16. #116
    beelzeBob's Avatar
    Posts
    4,672
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Norman, OK

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    These are great ideas that would have a better chance of being built if OU & The City of Norman and OU fans made enough noise and supported them and made their views known to their elected state leaders no matter where they live in Oklahoma…..

    But OU and the city of Norman could better handle game day traffic and widen several city streets that are needed any way. Commuter rail will eventually be built and would help if it has enough capacity.
    OU and the city of Norman dont exactly work well with each other on issues like this. OU doesnt want wider streets. Norman doesnt want traffic to bottleneck near campus. As a Norman resident, I think the city needs to be mindful of what I and other Norman residents want, which is not the same as what the fanbase necessarily wants. Believe or not, your conveinece getting out of town is not a concern of most Norman residents.

  17. #117
    beelzeBob's Avatar
    Posts
    4,672
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Norman, OK

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    These are great ideas that would have a better chance of being built if OU & The City of Norman and OU fans made enough noise and supported them and made their views known to their elected state leaders no matter where they live in Oklahoma…..

    But OU and the city of Norman could better handle game day traffic and widen several city streets that are needed any way. Commuter rail will eventually be built and would help if it has enough capacity.
    Which streets are you refering to. Some need to be widened, but, damn... we already hav 5 lanes of 35 mph al over town.

  18. #118
    beelzeBob's Avatar
    Posts
    4,672
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Norman, OK

    Originally Posted by Yukonsooner View Post
    Do the people wanting to get rid of their tickets think this was a bad year? They must not have gone through the Gibbs, Blake, Schelly years. If I kept my tickets, even buying two more, why would it even cross my mind to not renew my tickets. I am considering selling two just for the fact that the kids no longer live here and it gets to be a hassle selling single game tickets.
    Thats when I got my tix. I sell them now. Again, I doubt anyone really gets rid of their tix. As in call up the Athletic Dept and cancel them. It is a better idea to just get them and resell them.

  19. #119
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,546
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by CitySooner View Post
    I may go on a bit of a **** rant here, but with about 5 minutes to go against the Aggies (OK St.) i saw fans leaving. Yelled "Pathetic" and all they had to say was "we wanna beat the traffic" not only did they miss a Bedlam win, they missed the best moment at Owen Field in a long, long, time. I have always hated leaving early, and I feel the people leaving early should give them up their tickets.
    why do you still have your tickets then?

  20. #120
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    Believe or not, your conveinece getting out of town is not a concern of most Norman residents.
    Believe it or not it is actually is a major concern of some city of Norman leaders (but not enough) who I have had several extended personal conversations with about this very topic. OU football traffic congestion has been a topic of conversation by the city council at recent city council meeting that I attended. So you are wrong….

    As resident of Norman I know many who want better city of Norman streets including OU fans who live in Norman as do. The city of Norman just passed a major streets bond package that won in an election by a major margin, this includes widening west Lindsey Street in part to improve the traffic flow from campus, but it’s VERY limited in scope.
    So obviously there is major support in Norman to improve the streets. Just not all of the right ones IMO.

  21. #121

    I will have my 7 season tickets that I started buying in 1996 until I am SOONER DEAD.

    Like I said until I'm SOONER DEAD and I will Proudly Pass Them on to my Boys Who will also keep them until they are SOONER DEAD and will Pass them to my Grandchildren.

  22. #122
    S00nerJay's Avatar
    Posts
    1,910
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    It's not just because 85,000 people are leaving at once. That only makes a bad situation worse. Traffic in Norman is the complete shits. The only time traffic is tolerable in Norman is in the summer. Norman isn't a big town area wise, so there's a lot of people condensed in a small area. There is little parking, and traffic sucks because all car inevitably have to go through Lindsay, Main, Robinson, or 12th, Flood, 24th.

    My last semester at OU, I lived in OKC in between 89th St and Earlywine park. It took me 45 minutes to get to class. But only 20 to get to Norman.

    And yes, tickets are bad investments. I sold extra tickets in 03 and 04 to UCLA and Oregon and didn't get face value. I've met people in the past that have this false idea that getting OU football tickets is difficult and/or crazy expensive. I always tell them that unless it's a marquee game, you can walk up to the stadium and likely find someone who will simply give you a ticket.

    Only time OU tickets were impossible to get was the Sugar Bowl against LSU in Jan 04. That shit was ridiculous.

  23. #123
    beelzeBob's Avatar
    Posts
    4,672
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Norman, OK

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Believe it or not it is actually is a major concern of some city of Norman leaders (but not enough) who I have had several extended personal conversations with about this very topic. OU football traffic congestion has been a topic of conversation by the city council at recent city council meeting that I attended. So you are wrong….

    As resident of Norman I know many who want better city of Norman streets including OU fans who live in Norman as do. The city of Norman just passed a major streets bond package that won in an election by a major margin, this includes widening west Lindsey Street in part to improve the traffic flow from campus, but it’s VERY limited in scope.
    So obviously there is major support in Norman to improve the streets. Just not all of the right ones IMO.
    We want to improve the streets for ourselves, not for the sake of sooner fans ****ing about traffic.

  24. #124
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I agree….
    but the State, OU and the city of Norman really do need to find much better solutions to parking and traffic congestion.
    This is an issue that all OU fans need to be vocal about and direct their concerns to their elected leaders
    Stop being a lazy ass and walk from LNC. OR
    Stop being poor and donate more so you can park in the ASP lot.

  25. #125
    OU is my team and there's no way I'd give up my season tickets. That's just stupid. Once i spend my money I do not really care where it goes as long as I get to watch OU every week.
    2 users like Midnight Toker's post: OU48A, OUCarlton


  26. #126
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by OUCarlton View Post
    Stop being a lazy ass and walk from LNC. OR
    Stop being poor and donate more so you can park in the ASP lot.
    And if I do, does that solve the problem for everybody else?
    Stop thinking in such stupid selfish ways…..!

  27. #127
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    We want to improve the streets for ourselves, not for the sake of sooner fans ****ing about traffic.
    Yes we do want to improve our streets for our self’s but we also should address the major concerns of our visitors. The good news is that they are mostly one in the same. The tens of thousands of football visitors pump many millions of dollars into the local economy for each game. But there are other events both large and small that are impacted by congestion as well. I have seen information that says about 20% of Norman’s sales tax comes from people visiting Norman. A lot of small town people come to Norman to shop. But I have friends that are now going other places with less congestion. We need to make it the best experience that we reasonably can with better parking and reduced congestion for all of these people. The investment is in the residents and city’s best interest.

    There have been several incidents in recent years where response times have been seriously delayed due to football congestion. Less congestion makes Norman a safer place for ourselves and for our visitors…

  28. #128
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    These are a few of my thoughts on Norman area traffic improvements.

    Make Flood Street one way north bound after a game to Robinson. We could expand the traffic light system that keeps traffic lights green longer on major streets. We could temporarily cover up several stop signs along several major streets near campus.

    Go ahead and 4 lane Lindsey all the way from I-35 to campus. 4 lane Jenkins from Lindsey to HY-9

    Extend HY 9 on the north side of the river to 48 thstreet SW and to 60 th street SW. The state should turn some of these roads into state highways.

    Other things like commuter rail and an east side metro by-pass are in various planning stages. Both will likely eventually be built…. These would help the entire metro area.

    Norman is the 3 largest city in Oklahoma and its growing…But for the 3 largest city with a very significant commuter population the state should be doing a lot more to improve the surface transportation in and around Norman.

  29. #129
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,828
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    No, mine are free.

    (Shouldnt I be banned?)

  30. #130
    Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    We can keep the roads up now and you want to add a dedicated road from the Turner Turnpike to Norman? How about a high speed bullet train from Tulsa straight to Owen Field?.
    No, that's not the point and being disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable. It's less about gameday traffic and more about daily I-35 traffic. So much of the nuisance of driving from downtown OKC to Norman during has to do with the amount of semis clogging up traffic traveling from Chicago/St. Louis to Dallas and beyond, taking the I-44/I-40/I-35 interchange in downtown OKC. Any sort of OKC bypass for I-44 to I-35 would reduce daily traffic in the OKC-Norman corridor, lighten the load for current highways in the metro (which will help aid in upkeep), AND provide an additional major highway into Norman from another direction.

    Outside of the daily clogging at I235 and I44, northbound traffic up to Edmond from downtown OKC is a relative breeze. One of the reasons why is because there's I235, I35, and to an extent, the Lake Hefner parkway that spans the width of Edmond and thus disperses traffic. Norman has I35 and...what? Sooner road? It's a mess. For a city of 100,000, Norman has some sparse highway access when considering there is one major entry point into Norman from the two major metro areas in OK. A bypass that routes all the Midwest-to-TX traffic east of downtown OKC and reconnects I35 at Purcell will also provide a second funnel into Norman from the east. The closer it can hug Norman the better. There are people who commute to campus who live outside of Norman. From Tinker, from Shawnee, and even from Tulsa. Reducing gameday traffic is icing on the cake for any initiative that reduces daily congestion on I35.
    2 users like Master Pandemonium's post: IndySooner, OU48A


  31. #131
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    On an east OKC metro interstate by-pass

    If you look at a satellite map you can see that the river runs more less east and west in an area west of Nobel. This would be a good location for a major bridge. The new freeway could connect with I -35 somewhere near mile marker 100. A mile or so north of the river the freeway could curve back to the northeast before turning more northerly on the east side of Norman. There is still plenty of vacant land between 36th and 48th on the east side of town. The freeway could be built to the east sides of Tinker AF before continuing north to 44 and reconnecting with I–35.

    In the Norman area east west streets would be improved to the new interstate this would reduce congestion on several major east - west streets. Jenkins should be 6 landed to HY 9 with an over pass over HY 9. A 4 landed Jenkins would continue south to the new freeway… This would give OU a southern entrance. It would also reduce congestion on HY9, Lindsey Street and I 35. This would become the primary root for anyone coming to OU or central Norman from south OK or north TX.

    Folks coming to Norman from Tulsa or eastern OK or even from northern OK could use the eastern interstate by-pass. This would be a much better route for many heavy trucks that pass though the metro area.

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Season Tickets
    By NewThief in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 14th, 2013, 11:36 PM
  2. Fans giving back tickets.....
    By EdHarrisIsMyHero in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: September 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM