QB next season

Posted 653 day(s) ago 1817 Views 54 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Schooner QB next season

Go ahead and merge this with another thread, if you please. But, I feel Knight will be starting day one. What about y'all?

Unless Knight is just AMAZING... Get ready for 2 years of Bell. I hope he can throw.

There seems to trend on this site that Bell can't throw. I'm not sure where it comes from. I think all of our QBs can throw well enough. I hope Bell can make good decisions about who to throw it to.

I just don't have a good feeling about Bell. I hope and pray the Lord grants him the speed of De'Anthony Thomas....

Let Shepard play QB

Watch Bell's HS highlights. The dude can chuck the ball. And those highlights were from his first year ever playing QB.

Before you complain about his 1 career completion out of the BellDozer, keep in mind that he only had a single reciever on those plays.
    The following users like this post: cheetah

Bell unless he just shits the bed. If he can't throw at least as good
    Klein (Needs to be better than that truthfully) we're screwed because we can't run block well enough to run a primarily power O.
    The following users like this post: soonerbldr

SoonerBounce Guest

QB next season

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    Watch Bell's HS highlights. The dude can chuck the ball. And those highlights were from his first year ever playing QB.

Before you complain about his 1 career completion out of the BellDozer, keep in mind that he only had a single reciever on those plays.
    To be fairs, landrys hs film made him look like he could run.
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    There seems to trend on this site that Bell can't throw. I'm not sure where it comes from. I think all of our QBs can throw well enough. I hope Bell can make good decisions about who to throw it to.
    we have no idea how accurate/consistent bell will be....
    and yes.....if he can make good decisions
    stoops always goes with the safest qb....

Blake bell has a strong arm and has all the physical tools to be a great QB. As with any QB, it will come down to the mental aspect of the game. Can he read the defense and make the right decision under pressure. I think he'll be a great QB eventually. At some point, we must play defense. We can't expect to outscore everyone.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    To be fairs, landrys hs film made him look like he could run.
    Holy hell. I wanted to call BS, but I just watched them, Landry could run back in the day. Even then he made some boneheaded throws but somehow completed them.

How do you go from being a fairly athletic QB to a statue? WTF Schmitty

If Bell couldn't throw, would he have have been getting second team snaps all year? Allen would have been.

Holy hell. I wanted to call BS, but I just watched them, Landry could run back in the day. Even then he made some boneheaded throws but somehow completed them.

How do you go from being a fairly athletic QB to a statue? WTF Schmitty
    Because it was HS!!!
    The following users like this post: Yungpoisna

Haha. Bell can't throw but Knight has proven that he can? The very few throws that Bell has been allowed to attempt have been darts. That dude can throw the ball hard. Don't know about his accuracy though. I predict that Bell will be the QB next year and many will shocked that he is a very competent passer.

Thompson.

Bell to Millard will be a phase used quite frequently... Just my useless opinion

I have a hard time being concerned about OU's next QB given OU has a pretty damn good history of QBs under Coach Stoops. The only bumps in the road were in the 2005 and 2009 seasons when Oklahoma was fielding a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an injury plagued and inexperienced offensive line and throwing to a group of inexperienced receivers.

OU will be fielding a junior QB next season that has been on the field in tight games in the biggest of games and he will be throwing behind a veteran offensive line and a receiving corps that at least has Shepard and Saunders on it and then the hope that Metoyer and Neal can perform. The point being, Blake Bell has already got the "peeing in the pants" problem out of the way that you typically deal with in regards to inexperienced and young QBs.

OU's biggest issues next season aren't offensively, they are defensively (when playing ND and whoever in a bowl game) and that is going to come down to finding a replacement for Jefferson if he really does leave and the need that Jordan Phillips and Jordan Wade step up at the DT spots and guys like Grissom and Tapper step up at the DE spots. Ndlue was decent this season for the first year of seeing significant action, so he could have the chance of being very good next season. I have zero hope for the linebacking corps, which makes me a sad panda. I wish a Torrence Marshall / Lance Mitchell were in the JUCO ranks again. Need something like that badly.

I stopped getting excited about high school highlight videos after Donta Hickson's high school highlight videos didn't translate to the collegiate level. He looked like the greatest prep back in history in those videos.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

I agree, tape doesn't always tell the truth. Its pretty tough to tell how good someone is from HS film due to huge differences in the competition's talent level.

I have an odd feeling it'll be Knight. No idea why. And absolutely nothing to back it up.

That said, I'm praying the Red-White game is on TV this spring.
    The following users like this post: huntinsooner

QB next season

Whoever the QB is. OU should bring back the split-t

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    Let Shepard play QB
    Shepard played a little qb in hs

I say we run the Double Wing. Lets keep the leaky sieve defense off the field as long as possible.

QB next season

I watched Blake in high school and he could sling it, although his throwing motion was kinda whack. His technique has improved immensely and he's a much better passer than the masses give him credit. Add on top of that he is mobil and he's a gamer with the support of the team. I think he'll be really successful.

Regardless, the offense will need to be tweaked for him and the team to be extremely successful.

I have a good feeling about Kendall Thompson.....

Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    I watched Blake in high school and he could sling it...Regardless, the offense will need to be tweaked for him and the team to be extremely successful.
    Best response in the thread....we're all talking about who can sling it, who might be stronger, who won't pee his pants...and others are (correctly) adding-in the (major) need to upgrade the defense...But...

One of the key factors to Bell sinking or swimming (or any QB, for that matter) is the offensive coaches' ability to scheme to the strengths on the offensive side of the ball. And I, for one, am VERY concerned that JH simply doesn't have the experience or skill to implement a scheme that takes better advantage of a "Blake-Bell-esque" skill set.

JH has been average at best at OC. If we don't bring some innovation and build our offensive scheme to suit the talents of the athletes, Bell will be another underutilized Sooner under the JH regime.
    The following users like this post: DarrellS011

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Completely agree. If Bell couldn't throw he wouldn't be at Oklahoma. Bell will definitely start and I think he'll play really well because Knight is right on his heels. Both QBs are mobile and therefore hopefully the option is utilized. We ran the option once against the gies and it was a huge success. The option will also help the defense because we'll be a team more focused on T.O.P. instead of run and gun.

QB next season

Josh will have more options with Bell, than he ever had with Jones.

I think the biggest issue for our offense next year is winning the line of scrimmage. We have a very solid cast of receivers that will only get better, so whoever is QB just needs to be able to get them the ball--no need to be a hero. Better blocking will make Williams look like the stud he was in the Texas game, and take the heat off of Bell/Knight/Thompson. I believe we can be successful with any of those three at QB.

Originally Posted by OKIE View Post
    I have a good feeling about Kendall Thompson.....
    Same here.

Given Bob's pattern, everyone should realize that the starting QB is going to be Bell and, also given Bob's behavior, he's going to really have to screw up to lose it.

However, I do believe that if Knight is as good as reported then if Bell falters in the first two games, we could see a change.

Thompson is a legacy and he and Allen (if he doesn't transfer) should be trying to get a position change. Thompson is short -- but if he's as fast as some say, how about a move to the secondary? Is Allen fast enough for that, or is he doomed? Can he punt or kick field goals?

SoonerBounce Guest
    My main issue with JH is that against good defenses, he can't find a way to stretch the field. It seems like after the ND game, almost everyone knew they just had to let us dink and donk it down the field.

My main issue with JH is that against good defenses, he can't find a way to stretch the field. It seems like after the ND game, almost everyone knew they just had to let us dink and donk it down the field.
    I'm pretty sure that was the gameplan against A&M. Keep the ball, long time consuming drives, keep their D on the field and keep Johnny off the field.

that is not heupel's fault.....
    he can only do what his qb can do....

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    meh. LJ has shown through his career that he can throw it downfield. I'm not talking 40 yarders. I'm talking over 15

Originally Posted by OkieIron View Post
    Josh will have more options with Bell, than he ever had with Jones.
    not sure this is really accurate. LJ was a four year starter and could make pretty much all the throws. playbook pass wise will be limited due to bells inexperience. if your talking about purely run options, than your statement is valid but over all, Bells playbook will be dumbed down a little to prevent the all dreaded INT's.

Not sure what that means. Landry can make all the throws so it's not like he had some noodle-arm that could only complete 10-15 yard passes. His decision-making was his problem, not his throwing ability.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was the gameplan FOR A&M. Line up their DB's deep and force OU to execute long time consuming drives where mistakes like drops hurt badlyand keep Stills, Brown, & Saunders from beating you with explosive plays.
    FIFY

Originally Posted by S11-Baylor View Post
    FIFY
    I disagree. OU didn't even take shots deep--and A&M's D was getting tired at the end of the first half. Mike knew we didn't match up against Manziel and he'd gut us like a hog if he was on the field much.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    not sure this is really accurate. LJ was a four year starter and could make pretty much all the throws. playbook pass wise will be limited due to bells inexperience. if your talking about purely run options, than your statement is valid but over all, Bells playbook will be dumbed down a little to prevent the all dreaded INT's.
    Landry's playbook will be dumbed down a bit for Bell. The other half of the playbook that includes qb runs will be opened--that half didn't exist when LJ was pulling the trigger.

Whoever the QB turns out to be, I'm pretty sure he'll be simply awesome.

Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Not sure what that means. Landry can make all the throws so it's not like he had some noodle-arm that could only complete 10-15 yard passes. His decision-making was his problem, not his throwing ability.
    no he can't...
    didn't you watch the cotton bowl....
    the few times he threw down field.....it was no where close to a reception.....
    his accuracy down field is garbage....one of the reasons he will never be an nfl qb.....

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Landry's playbook will be dumbed down a bit for Bell. The other half of the playbook that includes qb runs will be opened--that half didn't exist when LJ was pulling the trigger.
    you know ... i agree ... more so because Bell has had a lot of important game time experience. and once he gets ALL the reps in spring, summer, fall, etc., I think there's a lot we can do with him.

no he can't...
    didn't you watch the cotton bowl....
    the few times he threw down field.....it was no where close to a reception.....
    his accuracy down field is garbage....one of the reasons he will never be an nfl qb.....
    did'nt he either break or almost break some type of accuracy record in the first half? the less than 5 deep balls thrown was due to PLAY CALLING not Landry's decision, or did you not see the game yourself? and if yes, was the cotton bowl your first game you've seen landry play? the kid can and has made ALL the throws thus his 4k plus yards for the year with practically a brand new receiving corp ...

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    did'nt he either break or almost break some type of accuracy record in the first half? the less than 5 deep balls thrown was due to PLAY CALLING not Landry's decision, or did you not see the game yourself? and if yes, was the cotton bowl your first game you've seen landry play? the kid can and has made ALL the throws thus his 4k plus yards for the year with practically a brand new receiving corp ...
    if you think landry is an accurate passer.....either you haven't seen any of his games......or you're blind...
    even on short/intermediate routes....the receivers are constantly having to adjust to the ball...

I am not going to claim that I know anything about the X's and O's of football over and above what I know from just watching over the years and playing damn video games. However, I will state that I am very good friends with a former college defensive player who spent about 5 years GA'ing and position coaching at an ACC school before getting out of the profession. My friend tells me that Notre Dame and A&M purposely gave us the underneath stuff all day long. He said it was obvious that they, especially ND, made a conscious decision that, no matter what, they weren't going to get beat deep. They knew we couldn't run the ball (due to a combination of lack of ability and, most importantly, the stupid pistol running scheme), and decided to just give us all the underneath stuff. That's why Saunders had a what appeared to be a field day against ND. He said that, eventually, ND and A&M knew that we'd get greedy and try to throw down field, which would result in either picks or simple incompletions. I'd say that is basically what happened. So, while it appeared in both games that our offense was moving at will, that was a misconception.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by ChitoBito View Post
    I am not going to claim that I know anything about the X's and O's of football over and above what I know from just watching over the years and playing damn video games. However, I will state that I am very good friends with a former college defensive player who spent about 5 years GA'ing and position coaching at an ACC school before getting out of the profession. My friend tells me that Notre Dame and A&M purposely gave us the underneath stuff all day long. He said it was obvious that they, especially ND, made a conscious decision that, no matter what, they weren't going to get beat deep. They knew we couldn't run the ball (due to a combination of lack of ability and, most importantly, the stupid pistol running scheme), and decided to just give us all the underneath stuff. That's why Saunders had a what appeared to be a field day against ND. He said that, eventually, ND and A&M knew that we'd get greedy and try to throw down field, which would result in either picks or simple incompletions. I'd say that is basically what happened. So, while it appeared in both games that our offense was moving at will, that was a misconception.
    exactly. and your friend is right on. ND exposed how to beat us. (we beat ourselves vs kstate).

if you think landry is an accurate passer.....either you haven't seen any of his games......or you're blind...
    even on short/intermediate routes....the receivers are constantly having to adjust to the ball...
    he was 35 of 48 in one of his worst games ... Did you miss the Still's drop in the end zone; Millard;s drop in the end zone; a few more drops by Brown, Sharp, etc. and you're complaining about accuracy?

Oh and throughout the year, his completion percentage was over 66%. Matt Barkley's is 63% and that's playing against pac 12 defense with two first round receivers.

I'm not sure why so many OU fans have said that we're ****ed next year with Bell throwing. We hardly saw him throw. Like, ever. Not even in mop up duty. Just a few times on Belldozer plays where he'd throw a short pass. I think the jury is still out on him. I would like to see our offensive scheme change with him in there though.

I think your right. Bell can throw or they wouldnt of recruited him so heavily.