News from CES

Posted 711 day(s) ago 1604 Views 56 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

News from CES

You probably need to be a (rich white guy)sarcasm ...to own this but dam this is amazing what they are doing these days.

Kingston's DataTraveler HyperX Predator: a 1TB USB 3.0 flash drive

By Daniel Cooper posted Jan 7th, 2013 at 1:35 PM 2
    A 1TB flash drive? Frankly, we're incredulous, but that's what Kingston is claiming it'll begin selling later in Q1. The DataTraveler HyperX predator 3.0 promises read/write speeds of up to 240MB/s and 160MB/s respectively and will sell you a 512GB version right now. At the same time, it's launching 32GB and 64GB versions in the same line that offer read/write speeds of 150MB/s and 70MB/s. If you're interested in snagging one of the top two units, be advised that the price of the 512GB edition is a staggering $1,750.00 -- so you'd better get working on impressing that MLB scout next time they're passing by.

sheesh

Even if I were super rich, no way I'd buy this. My wife will not be washing a $1,750 USB stick in the laundry

Not to mention in this day and age of "cloud" storage these are kinda obsolete?! I remember buying a 2 GB usb stick back in like 2004ish for a couple hundred bucks!

I agree I would never buy it. Just amazing they can stick a tb of storage on something as small as a thumb drive that is amazing.
    Makes you wonder why we are paying so much for tablets that only have 16,32,or 64gb of storage haha.
    2 users like macdaddybuff's post: soonerbldr, Sooners2007

Thats a lot of portable ****
    4 users like soonerdm's post: macdaddybuff, Sooners2007, Steve O'Seinus, The Baconator®

Dang. I think the biggest USB data drive I have is 32GB. I couldn't imagine 1TB.

In before heisman.

CES: NVIDIA introduces project shield, android gaming handheld

The system uses the company's new Tegra 4 processor and is housed within a controller with a flip-up screen, complete with its own integrated sound system and the complete array of controls you'd find on a traditional console controller. It features an HDMI port for video output, micro-USB for accessories and docks, and a microSD port for expandable storage. While the exact specs are still forthcoming, Project Shield has a 5-inch 720p HD display. The system, Nvidia says, is "pure Android," which gives it unhindered access to the standard Android interfaced, as well as apps and games from the Google Play store.
    Using software built by Nvidia, the Shield provides remote access to the games installed on your gaming PC at home, including Steam titles. Users can play any PC game on the Shield from anywhere within the same local Wi-Fi network.
    Pricing has yet to be revealed, but Nvidia says Project Shield will ship in Q2 of this year. We'll be getting hands-on time with Project Shield later this week, so stay tuned to IGN.com/CES for updates.

I'd lose it.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

If you can't fathom WHY you would need a 1TB high speed flash drive... then you definitely don't need one, regardless of price.

Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    If you can't fathom WHY you would need a 1TB high speed flash drive... then you definitely don't need one, regardless of price.
    Back up everything you own, phone, camera, laptop, tablet. Store it somewhere safe. This would prob be great for industrial espionage also.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007

Re: News from CES

Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    Back up everything you own, phone, camera, laptop, tablet. Store it somewhere safe. This would prob be great for industrial espionage also.
    1TB is not a lot of storage for "everything you own" ..

This would prob be great for industrial espionage also.
    That's exactly what we used the 2gb one we got in 2004ish! Ha

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Espionage just went to another level.
    The following users like this post: cbsooner

News from CES

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    1TB is not a lot of storage for "everything you own" ..
    Digital Hoarding is a thing.

3D has universally failed. So what do the tech companies have to fleece your wallet when you're not poor?

4K "UHD".

They're all over CES. Sony, Samsung, LG..all have models. Next 3-5 years, they'll drop down to reasonable consumer prices

The size of a native, uncompressed, 4K movie? At 45 MB PER FRAME, roughly 10 TB.

We need a bunch of those USB sticks.

Great article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/why-4k-uhd-tele...am-7000009506/

And size comparison below.

I have a TB external and had no problem filling it up.

Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    I agree I would never buy it. Just amazing they can stick a tb of storage on something as small as a thumb drive that is amazing.
    Makes you wonder why we are paying so much for tablets that only have 16,32,or 64gb of storage haha.
    Because you will. Stop standing in line all night for a product that is old news in three months and maybe the ass raping will slow down.

I used to have a friend that would get me into this show and be able to play around with everything and check things out, sometimes with all the others around. There's cool stuff there but most is way above my pay grade.

Samsung had a nice $20,000 85 in. TV at CES. I'm sure Rom already has one.

Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    I already have 1 TB drives . . . just not a portable 1 TB drive.

Yet.

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    Samsung had a nice $20,000 85 in. TV at CES. I'm sure Rom already has one.
    Wonder if they'll take food stamps for it..

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Digital Hoarding is a thing.
    Werd. Good article in PC mag a while back about that. I had 590 pictures from Disney World. Knocked it down to 210 because of all the dups and trips and bad pictures. Go through once a year and delete old files on the storage drive. It's under 160GB right now and thats with all my music.
    2 users like soonerdm's post: macdaddybuff, OnlyOneOklahoma

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    Werd. Good article in PC mag a while back about that. I had 590 pictures from Disney World. Knocked it down to 210 because of all the dups and trips and bad pictures. Go through once a year and delete old files on the storage drive. It's under 160GB right now and thats with all my music.
    This what I do. Go through once a year and clean it up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

4K TV is such a scam.
    Utterly useless unless it's nearing the 100" range.

Anybody who buys a 60" 4K TV is a moron. Aside from the fact that there is no content for it, and won't be for years. Certainly not broadcast content for at minimum a decade.

And, when done correctly, 3D content can be really good. I've got a few 3D Blu Rays that are duds (I'm looking at you, Tron), but some that are just truly awesome.

Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    4K TV is such a scam.

Anybody who buys a 60" 4K TV is a moron. Aside from the fact that there is no content for it, and won't be for years. Certainly not broadcast content for at minimum a decade.

And, when done correctly, 3D content can be really good. I've got a few 3D Blu Rays that are duds (I'm looking at you, Tron), but some that are just truly awesome.
    To me the best 3D broadcasts that I have seen are sporting events other than that I don't seem to get as much out of movies or video games in 3D unless I just have yet to see the good ones.

CES Qualcom keynote:

who thought this was a good idea? it's like a never ending bad joke, except, thankfully there is an end.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ictures-tweets

Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    To me the best 3D broadcasts that I have seen are sporting events other than that I don't seem to get as much out of movies or video games in 3D unless I just have yet to see the good ones.
    Hugo in 3D is pretty phenomenal.
    Also really liked playing Halo Anniversary in 3D.

My set is active. Don't know how much a difference that makes compared to passive, but I think you get better depth.

Originally Posted by runningwithscissors View Post
    CES Qualcom keynote:

who thought this was a good idea? it's like a never ending bad joke, except, thankfully there is an end.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ictures-tweets
    Doesn't anyone write articles anymore?

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    3D has universally failed. So what do the tech companies have to fleece your wallet when you're not poor?

4K "UHD".

They're all over CES. Sony, Samsung, LG..all have models. Next 3-5 years, they'll drop down to reasonable consumer prices

The size of a native, uncompressed, 4K movie? At 45 MB PER FRAME, roughly 10 TB.

We need a bunch of those USB sticks.

Great article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/why-4k-uhd-tele...am-7000009506/

And size comparison below.

Nobody outside those involved in actual production receive a copy of the workprint, so that is a meaningless number. Even the files distributed to Cinemas are compressed and range in size from 200 - 400GB. Files distributed to folks like Netflix (called mezzanine files) are further compressed, transcoded/encoded again for the consumer formats. By the time you actually stream it (http download, actually) it is tremendously smaller.

4K TV is such a scam.

2K is a reasonable format.. 4K,.. not so much. 8K doesn't make any sense at all for human consumption.

News from CES

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Nobody outside those involved in actual production receive a copy of the workprint, so that is a meaningless number. Even the files distributed to Cinemas are compressed and range in size from 200 - 400GB. Files distributed to folks like Netflix (called mezzanine files) are further compressed, transcoded/encoded again for the consumer formats. By the time you actually stream it (http download, actually) it is tremendously smaller.
    Probably on the order of 0.4 MB per frame or 10 MB per second. Just a quick calculation and I could be way off.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    So with that level of compression, is it reasonable to expect 4K could be streamed in the next 5 years?

4K TV is such a scam.

This

And to those looking to the future for 4K streaming; What's the point? An image only has to have a certain amount of pixels to be called HD. When it comes to streaming they don't discuss the bitrate. HD streaming usually streams at around 6Mbps. Even if bandwidth were able to increase steaming to 15Mbps in the next few years, it would be way short of what 4K would need. Not to say that they won't stream something and call it 4K because it has enough pixels to be termed 4K. But what you will be getting will not be the quality you would expect from 4K. Just compare an HD stream to the same content on Blu-ray and you will see what I mean.

I can't see 8K and above being wanted and/or needed. We're getting to the point where people will suffer motion sickness because the image will be so real that their eyes will tell them that they are moving but their inner ear will tell them that they are sitting still in a movie theater. The brain will have issues dealing with this conflicting information.

We're getting to the point where people will suffer motion sickness because the image will be so real that their eyes will tell them that they are moving but their inner ear will tell them that they are sitting still in a movie theater. The brain will have issues dealing with this conflicting information.
    I believe that this is the future of cinema, if you have been to Universal Studios lately, some of their most popular rides are these ultra realistic HD things that feature, water droplets, hot air to simulate fire and stomach churning drops that feature little to no actual movement of the ride. Its all just a big mind-****.

Anyone got some good links on stuff from CES. I follow CultofMac.com which shows Apple/Android CES related stuff but want to see more!

Try cnet.

Engadget

Sent by My Bad Ass Note 2

I believe that this is the future of cinema, if you have been to Universal Studios lately, some of their most popular rides are these ultra realistic HD things that feature, water droplets, hot air to simulate fire and stomach churning drops that feature little to no actual movement of the ride. Its all just a big mind-****.
    Weren't they having that happen to people watching the new Hobbit movie?

News from CES

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Weren't they having that happen to people watching the new Hobbit movie?
    Slightly different.
    It just looked fake (or more like a stage play or soap opera) because it was shot at a very high frame rate.

News from CES

I'm tired of the soap opera effect complaints. It's more REAL looking, people just aren't accustomed to it. 24fps is archaic and lame.
    The following users like this post: DIB

News from CES

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    I'm tired of the soap opera effect complaints. It's more REAL looking, people just aren't accustomed to it. 24fps is archaic and lame.
    I think the point is you want it to look cinematic rather than real. Well, more importantly, you're used to it looking more cinematic.

If it's something that's going to become standard, viewers will have to adjust the way the watch, and creators will have to adjust the way they create.
    The following users like this post: drspencer

Slightly different.
    It just looked fake (or more like a stage play or soap opera) because it was shot at a very high frame rate.
    I'm not a fan of HRF. Until the can make the sets not feel out of place with the characters of the movie they don't need to do it. It's probably like a decade away from being fixed. Kind of like the use of CG for many years. It took some time before the techniques and technology were good enough to not seem like it was out of place.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I'm not a fan of HRF. Until the can make the sets not feel out of place with the characters of the movie they don't need to do it. It's probably like a decade away from being fixed. Kind of like the use of CG for many years. It took some time before the techniques and technology were good enough to not seem like it was out of place.
    I, honestly, thought the sets looked better and more integrated in the HFR. The first time I watched it, it took me out of the story a bit...those waterfalls were mesmerizing. When I rewatched it, everything just seemed to fit together, visually, better than the 24fps.

Part of the problem is not the hyper reality of the look but that the soap opera effect is due to the TV creating content that isn't there. TVs that do that interpolate frames in order to make the frame rate fit. Basically it's guessing at what it thinks the frame between say frame #23 and frame #24 would be. I don't want the TV guessing at something like that. I want to watch the content that the director intended.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    I, honestly, thought the sets looked better and more integrated in the HFR. The first time I watched it, it took me out of the story a bit...those waterfalls were mesmerizing. When I rewatched it, everything just seemed to fit together, visually, better than the 24fps.
    This might be true. I may go and see it again and see if it's as big of a distraction as it was the first go around or if I get used to it.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Part of the problem is not the hyper reality of the look but that the soap opera effect is due to the TV creating content that isn't there. TVs that do that interpolate frames in order to make the frame rate fit. Basically it's guessing at what it thinks the frame between say frame #23 and frame #24 would be. I don't want the TV guessing at something like that. I want to watch the content that the director intended.
    I agree that I'd rather the TV not be interpolating so much.
    Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    This might be true. I may go and see it again and see if it's as big of a distraction as it was the first go around or if I get used to it.
    I saw Hobbit in 2D and didn't notice anything different from a normal movie. Was the 48fps only in 3D?

I agree that I'd rather the TV not be interpolating so much.

I saw Hobbit in 2D and didn't notice anything different from a normal movie. Was the 48fps only in 3D?
    Yes, only 3D.

Panasonic displayed a 4K OLED. Like we've discussed earlier in this thread, there's no need for 4K in the home. OLED TVs were supposed to be out 3rd quarter last year. Now they say they'll be out around March this year. OLED makes much more sense for the home than 4K does. I'll be glad when OLED prices come down to decent prices in the next couple of years. I'm excited about OLED. No need to include 4K with it though.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Panasonic displayed a 4K OLED. Like we've discussed earlier in this thread, there's no need for 4K in the home. OLED TVs were supposed to be out 3rd quarter last year. Now they say they'll be out around March this year. OLED makes much more sense for the home than 4K does. I'll be glad when OLED prices come down to decent prices in the next couple of years. I'm excited about OLED. No need to include 4K with it though.
    Agreed.
    I can't wait to get an OLED TV once they become affordable. I stick with plasma for now because of the superior image accuracy, but I do get glare at certain times on sunny days. So assuming OLED becomes affordable, I'll likely make the shift to it.
    The following users like this post: traxx