Layoffs at SD...Shitty Day

Posted 468 day(s) ago by drumhead23us4688 Views 102 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    vCash

Don't be poor

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    This has got to be Keefs sock account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have sock accounts. I do have one sock I'll show you though. (if interested pm shamp)

vCash

Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
    Oh really -- it's "fact" is it? Give me a break.

The SD reductions have nothing to do with Obamacare. They are happening because nat gas prices have been hovering around $3 for the past 3 years.
    Nice comprehension skills….
    I didn’t say Obamacare was responsible for this particular case!

But as I said it is a fact that there are reductions in staff and hours at more than a few businesses.
    The fact is that Obamacare does increases the cost of doing business for companies such as SD. There is just no getting around that fact unless you’re stupid…. Obamacare makes staff/hour reductions more likely at many businesses thus making more families poorer and more likely to depend on government assistant programs.

vCash

In before the dome.

Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    In before the dome.
    We can't have nice things.
    2 users like PokeJ's post: MoJoOkie, SirPrize

vCash

This has got to be Keefs sock account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope. I'm Twil's sock
    The following users like this post: PokeJ

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    Nope. I'm Twil's sock
    Like I said,,,,,,

vCash

I don't know if the two correlate, but I saw how much COBRA coverage is....and holy crap! $1200 for a family of three for health, dental, and vision. I know the company gets a better rate than that, but dayum. That is ridiculous.

Re: Layoffs at SD...Shitty Day

So I take it you are safe? Did anyone in IT get let go today?

vCash

Well, I'm safe for now I guess. No one has any idea what's coming next. I talked to a couple people and nobody that I know of from IT was let go.
    2 users like drumhead23us's post: OilSooner, SoonerAmongThePack

vCash

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Well, I'm safe for now I guess. No one has any idea what's coming next. I talked to a couple people and nobody that I know of from IT was let go.
    Glad to hear it.

vCash

We can't have nice things.
    This is why there are hardly any chics here.

vCash

Your IT department will eventually get outsourced to India or the Philippines. That is what happened to ours.
    The following users like this post: SirPrize

vCash

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Your IT department will eventually get outsourced to India or the Philippines. That is what happened to ours.
    Scott in India does a great job.
    The following users like this post: MoJoOkie

vCash

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I hope not. The IT guys here are cool guys. Nothing would surprise me anymore, though.

vCash

I hope not. The IT guys here are cool guys. Nothing would surprise me anymore, though.
    A lot of IT positions from here are being shipped to the Philippines. They can remote in and work on pretty much anything. We have an IT guy that works on the hardware on the workstations for Oklahoma, Texas, and Jamaica.

vCash

Now I know why my order is always ____ ed up..........

vCash

I don't know if the two correlate, but I saw how much COBRA coverage is....and holy crap! $1200 for a family of three for health, dental, and vision. I know the company gets a better rate than that, but dayum. That is ridiculous.

I paid $1,360 for a family of three for one month last year when switching jobs. Had to do it, our 2nd baby was born over the month lapse in coverage before the new job's coverage kicked in.

vCash

Originally Posted by keefsmangledfingers View Post
    I don't have sock accounts. I do have one sock I'll show you though. (if interested pm shamp)
    You're not ctina?

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Sry for your loss. I tried my part in November.
    Dude we get it. You've made 3 comments about how this is somehow caused by a man who doesn't pass laws by comment twelve.
    3 users like party1234's post: Bob Swilkinson, McRib, MoJoOkie

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Oh really -- it's "fact" is it? Give me a break.

The SD reductions have nothing to do with Obamacare. They are happening because nat gas prices have been hovering around $3 for the past 3 years.
    i don't think he specifically meant at Sandridge but industry wide and other industries
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Gonna see much more of this with Obama care!!! Don't say you weren't warned! Hope & change!!!
    Hope you don't get laid off, lose your company and it's gonna change unfortunately for the worse. I have a couple clients here in Dallas that are cutting hourly employees back to 30 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Sucks!

vCash

They do NOT get a better rate. They are allowed by law to add 2% to their standard "rate" (they are probably self funded so rate is not entirely fitting) for administering COBRA on your behalf but that is what they/you are paying for your group health plan. Your contribution plus what they pay will be no more than 2% less than the 1200 you quoted. You cannot bilk COBRA participants like you are suggesting.

Edit: want to add that I hope you don't have to worry about COBRA due to not being laid off!! Best of luck to you.
    The following users like this post: pphilfran

Originally Posted by Soonerside View Post
    Hope you don't get laid off, lose your company and it's gonna change unfortunately for the worse. I have a couple clients here in Dallas that are cutting hourly employees back to 30 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Sucks!
    This is becoming common.

vCash

Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
    They do NOT get a better rate. They are allowed by law to add 2% to their standard "rate" (they are probably self funded so rate is not entirely fitting) for administering COBRA on your behalf but that is what they/you are paying for your group health plan. Your contribution plus what they pay will be no more than 2% less than the 1200 you quoted. You cannot bilk COBRA participants like you are suggesting.

Edit: want to add that I hope you don't have to worry about COBRA due to not being laid off!! Best of luck to you.
    I don't understand a bit about big insurance. I just figured big companies got cheaper premiums from insurance places due to how many people they got to sign up. That makes it even more amazing that they foot the bill for so much of the cost.

vCash

I don't understand a bit about big insurance. I just figured big companies got cheaper premiums from insurance places due to how many people they got to sign up. That makes it even more amazing that they foot the bill for so much of the cost.
    Don't want to turn this in to an insurance thread but your thoughts on the law of large numbers is supposed to apply. No clue what your benefits are but 1200 for a family may actually be "relatively" cheap. Health care and thus health insurance is expensive as hell. I work in the industry and 1200 for a family for medical insurance alone isn't that uncommon let alone dental and vision (which are significantly cheaper). Enough about insurance. Good luck again!!

vCash

Thanks, man.

vCash

Watch out for your cornhole.

vCash

Welp, they just came in and took my immediate supervisor.

vCash

Normally I would disagree with The...but go ahead and leave, now...take the afternoon off.

Did you pilfer his shit yet?

vCash

Haha. He got advance notice. He was already mid-pilfer by the time I found out.

vCash

I saw the same type thing at Goodyear corporate...I worked for corporate but was plant based...on a one week session in Akron working on plant planning when the layoffs were announced...they came into the conference room we were working and snagged two of the six Akron associates I was working with and hauled them to the street....

No advance notice...there was panic in the corporate folks eyes...it was sad...

Good luck to ya....

vCash
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

I've been through the whole layoff thing when I was at Learjet just after 911. To this day I wonder who got the best deal... the ones that got laid off with severance or the poor saps that had to stay, cover the workload, maybe take a cut in pay, and wait until the next round of layoffs...

vCash

Man, I'm having the same thought. I'm almost wanting them to just come get it over with and give me the severance so I can move on down the road.

Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
    Don't want to turn this in to an insurance thread but your thoughts on the law of large numbers is supposed to apply. No clue what your benefits are but 1200 for a family may actually be "relatively" cheap. Health care and thus health insurance is expensive as hell. I work in the industry and 1200 for a family for medical insurance alone isn't that uncommon let alone dental and vision (which are significantly cheaper). Enough about insurance. Good luck again!!
    Health Insurance is about the easiest industry to understand from a high level. Based on the employer's demographics a group of actuaries (smart math guys) estimate what medical services will be consumed, and how much they will cost. The insurance company marks that up. "Obamacare" (PPACA) mandates no more than 15% Medical Loss Ratio, so basically the projected premiums are marked up by 15%, and the insurance company uses that 15% to pay salaries, expenses, put money away for Govt-required Risk-Based Capital, and of course, profits. Larger groups spread the risk pool, so the impact of a trauma or cancer patient are spread out more, thus lowering premiums. The number one cause for the rise in health care costs is utilization. The more people seek medical services, the higher the actuaries project claims, and the higher the premiums are. Insurance companies just mark up projected claims expenses, and with the new PPACA law will have to "buy down" premiums for any MLR over 15%.

But you are correct, health care costs have been increasing by double digit percentages per year for quite a while now. It's crazy.
    3 users like CobraKai's post: OU48A, pphilfran, Saul Good

vCash

Man, I'm having the same thought. I'm almost wanting them to just come get it over with and give me the severance so I can move on down the road.
    I ended up getting pizzed off over the whole deal and took a voluntary lay off and bought my own business...lost money on the deal but a lot less pressure and stuck to my ethical standards...

Yikes. Sorry to hear the man is snatching people up.

I almost feel bad for the HR people and IT security people who are doing the actual layoffs and locking people's accounts at the correct time. Because with fewer people, they are not as needed. They just get to hang on until the end of the first cuts to know their fate.

vCash

This sucks. I know a few people over there (including the ex-ballplayer you mentioned) and know a guy that probably used to be your boss. The bad publicity and alleged management issues must be taking their toll.

Good luck. You're likely safe, because if they were going to fire you, they would have done it before they took your boss.

vCash
    The gray place between expectations and reality.

I feel for you guys... I went through this in the early-to-mid 2000s during the whole telecom/dot-com meltdown. It sucks hard.

It's probably no solace right now, but I can say that every single one of my friends who were laid off ended up in a better situation and are all doing well today.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

I feel for you guys... I went through this in the early-to-mid 2000s during the whole telecom/dot-com meltdown. It sucks hard.

It's probably no solace right now, but I can say that every single one of my friends who were laid off ended up in a better situation and are all doing well today.
    Me too. Ex Wiltel/Worldcom. I know exactly how it feels, and it sucks. We always knew when layoffs would be happening because you'd pull up to the garage and the gates would all be up, indicating there would be some people needing to leave the garage without their card keys. About 1 Friday per month there would be another bloodletting.

vCash
    The gray place between expectations and reality.

Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    Me too. Ex Wiltel/Worldcom. I know exactly how it feels, and it sucks. We always knew when layoffs would be happening because you'd pull up to the garage and the gates would all be up, indicating there would be some people needing to leave the garage without their card keys. About 1 Friday per month there would be another bloodletting.
    Yep. I remember it well.

vCash

I was a telecom guy, too, straight out of college. Talk about a lesson in business right off the bat. There's a reason I don't have loyalty to any company.

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    I was a telecom guy, too, straight out of college. Talk about a lesson in business right off the bat. There's a reason I don't have loyalty to any company.
    Same here. I'm loyal to people, not necessarily the employer.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

vCash

Same here. I'm loyal to people, not necessarily the employer.
    Taught me not to burn bridges. I'm very loyal to bosses that are good to me and it has paid off in multiple occasions, but I will jump for a better deal because I understand that the company will dump me for a better deal at any point they deem fit.

Well drum are you the new boss or looking for a cardboard box to keep warm?

SandRidge Energy is laying folks off today. Well over 30 people have been let go, including my wife. They are just systematically moving throughout the buildings, letting people know. Managers say they are given zero warning. None of the people let go today had any idea it was about to happen. Ugh.
    Managers were lying. They are always given warning. Who do you think picks the folks to be fired?
    The following users like this post: platypus

I told the guy I work with when I saw this and he said "oh yeah - they've been talking about it for a while". So they knew.

I changed jobs five years ago. Had worked at the same place for several years and never listened to head hunters. Got mad one day and one happened to call. Went on the interview and was offered a better job at much better pay. Told my boss and he said they wanted me to stay but couldn't match the offer (big company - could have spent whatever it would take). I told them no - that a complete stranger who had no idea if I'd work out or not was offering me more than the company I had worked for as long as I had and that it made the choice easy and I left.

vCash

Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    Managers were lying. They are always given warning. Who do you think picks the folks to be fired?
    I figured as much. It didn't make any sense when someone told me that even the VPs don't know.

I'm still there. I'm assuming a very large chunk of the boss' role. Basically anything that doesn't violate SOX will probably be on me now.

vCash

Layoffs at SD...Shitty Day

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind words. I'll try to answer everything.
    Yes, she was given a severance package.
    She was in the EHS dept.
    No, you cannot have pictures.
    Thanks for the offer, DM. You have such a big heart.
    No, JH doesn't work there, but a notable former bball player does.
    And as far as Obama being the cause...I don't think so, but I could be wrong. We recently sold our interest in the Permian, prompting a pretty substantial (60+ and counting) reorganization. She just didn't survive for whatever reason.
    She has a really good line on a couple places, so she should be good.
    When they brought in the Hes there was much rejoicing...I guess. At least the lady that was running that department and was totally inept at life is gone from there. That was a couple years ago and unrelated, but still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD