Remember the time Stoops raised the crystal ball?

Posted 654 day(s) ago 3115 Views 99 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Yeah, I barely remember it too. I was in my 20's and my kids couldn't ride bikes without training wheels. Fast forward to 2013 and I've got one one of those kids graduating from high school this year with another to follow next year along with one, soon to be two grandkids. In other words, thank you Nick Saban for reminding me how long it's been and how old I now feel. Looking back as a fan, I wish I would have appreciated that championship more...really thought we'd at least be working on #9 or 10 by now. So it goes...
    The following users like this post: sovasooner

Barely, I was 11.

That was a long time ago. I was 13 at the time.

Who let the dogs out?
    2 users like Ibi unus Oklahomae's post: Eigenvalue, Sabla

Originally Posted by ElGuapoSooner View Post
    I was in my 20's and my kids couldn't ride bikes without training wheels. Fast forward to 2012 and I've got one one of those kids graduating from high school this year with another to follow next year along with one, soon to be two grandkids. In other words, thank you Nick Saban for reminding me how long it's been and how old I now feel. Looking back as a fan, I wish I would have appreciated that championship more...really thought we'd at least be working on #9 or 10 by now. So it goes...
    I was a student at OU at that time. Amazing time. Another time, another place.

Originally Posted by Ibi unus Oklahomae View Post
    Who let the dogs out?
    Who let the Soonaz out? Man, shit. We had some fire in those day.
    The following users like this post: Clark W. Griswold

man to be 13 again. I jerked off all the time 7 times a day. I didn't even need the harcore **** I need today. Just a thought, and I'd be going to town.

Former coach, Bob Stoops.
    2 users like OUInformant's post: boomermagic, SilksKS

Yeah, I barely remember it too. I was in my 20's and my kids couldn't ride bikes without training wheels. Fast forward to 2013 and I've got one one of those kids graduating from high school this year with another to follow next year along with one, soon to be two grandkids. In other words, thank you Nick Saban for reminding me how long it's been and how old I now feel. Looking back as a fan, I wish I would have appreciated that championship more...really thought we'd at least be working on #9 or 10 by now. So it goes...
    Wait something doesn't add up in hear...

I do remember, my fried jumped over the wall and was tackled by a Miami police officer but he only had him by the shoe so he kicked it off and took off through the stadium.... he never got his shoe back...

No.

I heard this on the radio...think it was from the morning animals:

the current drought (2000 - 2013) has been almost as long as the former drought (1985 - 2000).

his dude was still doin his thang back then

I had just graduated from OU & wasn't married. Now I've been married 11 yrs., have two kids (7 & 3) and I'm old as dirt.

Wow, I was 15. It seems so long ago.

Former Balls

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post

the current drought (2000 - 2013) has been almost as long as the former drought (1985 - 2000).
    Yup. If we don't win a title in the next 3 seasons, we would have gone longer between 2000-2016+? and 1985-2000. And that period involved 5 different head coaches...
    3 users like Master Pandemonium's post: Backintheday, boomermagic, Tug Medick

I was 9 at the time..in the 3rd grade. I had to ask my parents to stay up to watch the game at the time since I had school the next morning.

Originally Posted by NortheastOK_Sooner View Post
    I was 9 at the time..in the 3rd grade. I had to ask my parents to stay up to watch the game at the time since I had school the next morning.
    Bunch of young ****s around here. Frankly, that explains a lot!
    3 users like IndySooner's post: Comanche, Walker8W, Written

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Hahahaa I was 26!!

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Hahahaa I was 26!!
    I was 24. Those were the days!
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Hahahaa I was 26!!
    This!

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Well...I've been exposed!

I was 16 and it might have been the last football game I watched without drinking. In other words...an eternity ago.

Yes, We are LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG Overdue..

16 and I had tears in my eyes as the last seconds ticked off and the celebration began. My first game was a loss to Tech in 96. It's still real to me dammit!

Originally Posted by OUInformant View Post
    Former coach, Bob Stoops.
    This was before he was arrogant, Obnoxious and so damn stubborn he won't listen to anyone..
    2 users like boomermagic's post: Backintheday, CNCSOONER

Not really, I was like seven

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post

Damn.... That is weird to think of...

I was 16 and probably felt like Stoops was the best coach ever. Seriously I remembered on the boards at the time how everyone thought I was overly too positive on Stoops in those years.

If Stoops ever wins another, it will be the longest any coach has gone between AP titles. Bear had a drought between his '65 and '78 AP titles.

i was 47 we were on top of the college football world and i was sure we starting a run of 2 or 3 natl. championships in the next 5 years to see what we have become now is just to sad
    2 users like boomersooner53's post: Backintheday, SilksKS

I was 40. It seems like it was only yesterday.
    The following users like this post: Oldnslo

Re: Remember the time Stoops raised the crystal ball?

1 championship season in the 28 years since '85. I was 7 and 22 years old for the last two NC's. As long as it has been, I hate to think of how long we may have to yet still wait. I sure hope I don't have to wait till I'm in my 40's...or 50's.

I was 19, and dumb. Now I'm 31 and the same.

Bob only had a single chin back then

17 and a senior in high school, about to head off to Norman. Now I'm 30, married and have a mortgage. And I live in Longhorn Country.

If you makes you feel better I lived in wHorn Country for three years, and now live in Snyder Country. And still walk around in OU stuff.

I was 20 and I was transferring in during the spring semester. Feels like ages ago.

I should watch that game again.. I have it on my VHS tape.......... Crap
    5 users like jakel's post: Blacksheep 171, ElGuapoSooner, IndySooner, McRib, Sabla

Originally Posted by jakel View Post
    Funny stuff right there

Originally Posted by jakel View Post
    I'll lend you my old 65" low def, 500 lb, RCA projection screen TV to play back your game tape on.

7 years old, i think
    i remember watching it with everyone in the fam, but at that point in my life i didnt really care.
    ****in regrets

I was at the game. We (my gf, who became my wife and one of my best friends) drove to Miami to watch it. We spent New Years in New Orleans, celebrating with the Gator fans who later got pasted by the Canes. Before the game, when the Sooners were stretching, they were sitting on the field in the shape of the Sears trophy. Late in the game, our section started the Oooooo-kla-hoooo-maa chant that took over the Seminole war chant. It was the last game I attended in person. Since then I've built a house, business and family.

I'll lend you my old 65" low def, 500 lb, RCA projection screen TV to play back your game tape on.
    I only had the 52" model......finally gave it away a year ago. Tough to even find VHS players anymore.

I was 33, kids were in grade school, both in college now.

Had dial-up internet and no cell phones.

Senior year of college.

Starting at OU in 96 and watching those pathetic excuses for teams flounder around (Justin Fuentes wishbone, wut?) for three years, then watch Bob come up so damn close in a lot of games in 99 (What's this new QB's name? Whorple? Hooply? Sounds Romanian. From South Dakota? lolwut?), then to see that happen was simply unbelievable.

At my first OU game in person, someone hired a banner to be flown behind a plane that read "Hey Gibbs! Delta is ready whenever you are!" that flew over the stadium for what seemed like the entire game. While obviously we aren't back in mid 90's dispair, we certainly are in the doldrums.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

In light of what we've been seeing on the field from week to week, is OU closer to being 13-0 or 7-6?

I see OU as being just a shade above mediocrity for the foreseeable future. You don't grow toughness (mental & physical) or a top 15 defense overnight. Don't sell me Big XII championships either. OSU won a Big XII Championship for God's sakes. We play in a soft, arena style conference that will continue to be exposed against even above average non-conference opponents. Hello, OU struggled to beat UTEP! 13 points against aTm? Hell, La Tech had what, 55 points against the same defense? There are deep seeded issues that I don't think Bob is willing to address at this point, it will have to happen top down and it starts with the big boosters and donors. Hold back the cash and things will start to change real quick.

In light of what we've been seeing on the field from week to week, is OU closer to being 13-0 or 7-6?

I see OU as being just a shade above mediocrity for the foreseeable future. You don't grow toughness (mental & physical) or a top 15 defense overnight. Don't sell me Big XII championships either. OSU won a Big XII Championship for God's sakes. We play in a soft, arena style conference that will continue to be exposed against even above average non-conference opponents. Hello, OU struggled to beat UTEP! 13 points against aTm? Hell, La Tech had what, 55 points against the same defense? There are deep seeded issues that I don't think Bob is willing to address at this point, it will have to happen top down and it starts with the big boosters and donors. Hold back the cash and things will start to change real quick.
    We aren't that far from 13-0. We have better skill players across the board than we did in 99 and 00. If we can shore up the front 7 and get some on the field leadership, we will improve rapidly.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    We aren't that far from 13-0. We have better skill players across the board than we did in 99 and 00. If we can shore up the front 7 and get some on the field leadership, we will improve rapidly.
    I would like to agree with your post, but I'm finding it very difficult. Think about it - we were not that far away from having 4, 5, maybe even 6 losses this year.

7-6... We were more lucky to win the games against OSU, WV, and TCU than we were unlucky against KSU, ND, and A&M.

I was 16 and trying to get with every hot girl at school. I at least got one of them. Those were the days.