Remember the time Stoops raised the crystal ball?

Posted 589 day(s) ago by ElGuapoSooner3086 Views 99 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    I heard this on the radio...think it was from the morning animals:

the current drought (2000 - 2013) has been almost as long as the former drought (1985 - 2000).

While this is completely true... those two droughts do not compare at all.

And after seeing how old most of you were in 2000. Damn I'm old.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

Originally Posted by ElGuapoSooner View Post
    I would like to agree with your post, but I'm finding it very difficult. Think about it - we were not that far away from having 4, 5, maybe even 6 losses this year.
    We had 5 losses in 99 too. Nobody's ever that far if they make the right moves. If.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    We had 5 losses in 99 too. Nobody's ever that far if they make the right moves. If.
    Just getting to a Bowl game seemed like a miracle in 99.

It's like we're on the downside of the bell curve now. Not much hope in Sooner Land these days.

Seeing that picture has revealed to me what the problem is and how we got from there to here. Look at his sweater and his polo. Straight 100% cotton. That shit shrinks after you wash it and gets all linty and faded. Now, it's nothing but Dri-Fit. Dri-Fit! Ever since we've gone to that fabric we've become soft!

We need to bring back 100% cotton coaching clothing.
    The following users like this post: SoonerDan74012

Originally Posted by ChitoBito View Post
    Seeing that picture has revealed to me what the problem is and how we got from there to here. Look at his sweater and his polo. Straight 100% cotton. That shit shrinks after you wash it and gets all linty and faded. Now, it's nothing but Dri-Fit. Dri-Fit! Ever since we've gone to that fabric we've become soft!

We need to bring back 100% cotton coaching clothing.

I was a freshman.

went to 12 games that year (big 12 in KC)

I was 36. I went to the game (back then, you could get tickets from the school without having to pay out the ass in donations).

For the Sugar Bowl, OU first said I was getting tickets and then, after I bought airfare, told me I wasn't getting tickets. fun times!

I was 23. Just got married (to my FIRST wife). Great and awful year all in the same. Ha.

I was 15. Good times.....yeah.

I was 40 and my triplets were infants. I remember my wife yelling at my oldest son and I to shut up from yelling because we were going to wake the kids. I am starting to wonder if we will sniff another title in my lifetime. On the other side of things, I feel very lucky to have lived to see 4 Natl Championships. Could be worse, could be an aggy and not know what it means to be a champion.

Originally Posted by T-town Sooner View Post
    I was a freshman.

went to 12 games that year (big 12 in KC)
    I missed the KSU game and the A&M games that year. I was at the rest.

I was 21. I remember sitting there watching the pregame and finishing a pack of cigarretes and 12 cans of Schmidt's before kickoff. I've never been so nervous for a game in my life. The 'Noles were specifically talking trash about how they were going to abuse a guy I went to High School with, and I wanted nothing more than for him to shut them up...and he did a pretty good job. Me and all my buddies jumped around screaming doing the jumping up and down man-hug thing (like at the end of Major League) and I drunkenly called my dad and told him "WE'RE NATIONAL ****ING CHAMPIONS, POP!"

Man, that just made me have a sad.

10 years old, 4th grade, living in Abilene, Texas at Dyess Air Force Base.

I'll never forget, my dad was so hyped, then FSU ran their first play for like 35 yards and my dad said "Oh, ****..."

I also loved when Roy Williams did the Tomahawk Chop when he recovered the fumble

My middle son is 13 and doesn't remember when we won it in 2000. He wonders why I like Stoops so much. He doesn't even know big game Bob.
    The following users like this post: Blacksheep 171

Bob was so happy he wet himself.

Now I'm sad to say I think it's time for a change.

I was 18 and the world was my oyster...
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay

I was in my second year of grad school, living in the Renaissance Apartments in SE Norman, which were then brand new. I watched with just my fiance, who is now my wife, and remembered sitting there and almost crying when we'd won, just thinking back about how much shit the program had been through. Thinking back to that 51-7 A&M beatdown in 1997 freezing rain, sitting there from beginning to end wondering if it'd ever get better. When it was over, we opened the door to the balcony and just took it all in...the complex was going nucking futs. I remember watching SportsCenter into the night, just seeing all the great coverage, and seeing Torrance and the team storm Corso on the set and make him eat his words. Then, the next night or so, we went down to the Switzer Center in the freezing cold and waited with thousands for the team to return. It was surreal.

Now, we deal with **** tits, bleached mohawks, and quaalude-looking QBs. My how times have changed.

I graduated in '98 and thought we'd never see a decent team again. When they won it all in 2000 I thought I'd never complain again. The 90s sucked so bad.

Now I'm complaining. ****!

Far cry from 2000, I thought we would have at least 2 more by now.

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    If Stoops ever wins another, it will be the longest any coach has gone between AP titles. Bear had a drought between his '65 and '78 AP titles.
    Great Point! Bear actually had a partial NC in 73 He was also smart enough to switch to the wishbone after playing against OU in the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1970 and that helped revitalize his program after a couple of 5 loss seasons. Stoops needs to make some drastic changes like that because the shine is off the program. Recruits these days were 4 and 5 yrs old when OU last won a national title the strongest memory they have is OU getting their ass whipped in the Cotton Bowl.

Stoops is now Mr. Kruger of Kruger Industrial Smoothings....."We don't care...and it shows"
    The following users like this post: MikeLucky

I was 13 and not an OU fan. To this date I've never had a team I root for win a championship.

At least we have the Thunder now. That's one positive.

I was 34 and remember that whole season like it was yesterday! the great run we had in October! and I remember the night of the game and right after it was over and the College game day crew was interviewing back then known as Big Balls Bob! and Stoops pretty much told Chris Fowler to go **** himself! damn it!!!

Thanks for this LASooner. I still watch it at least once a month.

**** it's depressing around here.
    2 users like Troker's post: Blacksheep 171, HeroOfTheDay

I was 22. Just graduated OU. Couldn't believe how good we were. Thought we'd have 2 more NCs by now. Looks like we're setting up for a bad slide the next 2 to 3 years. Bummed.

I remember the whole day and run up to the game. Couldn't believe we beat "Invincible" FSU. Also remember Bill Teegins doing the Sports Blitz or whatever they called it back then. A few weeks later he's gone....

Time is a funny/cruel thing...

I was skinny and there weren't these fancy message boards with forums. It was all tree branch titles with RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Hyble will be better than Josh
    The following users like this post: lobster999

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    I was skinny and there weren't these fancy message boards with forums. It was all tree branch titles with RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Hyble will be better than Josh
    boomersooner.net/bbs... what the hell ever happened to motherbird?
    The following users like this post: soonerdm

Originally Posted by Master Pandemonium View Post
    Yup. If we don't win a title in the next 3 seasons, we would have gone longer between 2000-2016+? and 1985-2000. And that period involved 5 different head coaches...
    Wow... what a testament.. that is insane. I had never thought about it that way...

Yeah, I barely remember it too. I was in my 20's and my kids couldn't ride bikes without training wheels. Fast forward to 2013 and I've got one one of those kids graduating from high school this year with another to follow next year along with one, soon to be two grandkids. In other words, thank you Nick Saban for reminding me how long it's been and how old I now feel. Looking back as a fan, I wish I would have appreciated that championship more...really thought we'd at least be working on #9 or 10 by now. So it goes...
    Sounds like you may want to have the "birds and bees" talk with your kids...
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by ousooners9192 View Post
    7 years old, i think
    i remember watching it with everyone in the fam, but at that point in my life i didnt really care.
    ****in regrets
    I was 10 but I was only a baseball fan back then. I don't think I even watched the game...... so I still haven't witnessed ou win a championship.

Originally Posted by ChitoBito View Post
    Now, we deal with **** tits, bleached mohawks, and quaalude-looking QBs. My how times have changed.
    This part me me burst out in laughter. Thanks Chito. Lol

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I remember that board. Wasn't that run by that Carey dude?

That board reminds me of how intense the Blake debate was back then. The fanbase was divided in wanting to see Blake gone. There were a lot of people ("the Swarm," Eschback) that vocally and downright derogatorily defended Blake to the end. That was also a time when basketball brought as much conversation as football.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    I also have an older daughter (22). I'm not even 40 yet by the way, so for the record I'm not just some old fart longing for yesteryear. I do still remember the '85 championship, so at least I've had the pleasure of experiencing and enjoying 2 more national championships than fans of many other programs.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    I typed virtually the same thing, then deleted it. Yours is much nicer, and mine went against my resolution of being sweet.

ElGuap, You are my age and a Grampy! Holy smokes

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    That was a long time ago. I was 13 at the time.
    I was 24 years old, my dad was still here (HUGE OU fan... he died 1 year and 5 months later... glad he got to see the return of the monster that is OU football)...

My oldest son was a pinch older (9 mos old) during that game than my youngest son is now (4 mos old). My oldest will be 13 in March...

Crazy how different my life is now.
    Last edited by FiveOhSooner; January 8th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

That was a great night back when I was really tearing it up. We went to Humperdinks on Greenville Ave to watch game and had fun talking shit to a table of FSU fans sitting behind us after 2 hours of hearing the Tomahawk Chop in our ears before game. After the game were victory shots & cigars before heading to Baby Dolls down the street. Someone (who do ya think?) broke my friend's OU car flag in the Humperdinks lot so he had it in his hand when we went to Baby Dolls. Shortly after we sat down front & center @ Baby Dolls, the DJ threw down Boomer Sooner & a stripper grabbed the flag & did very naughty things with it. I don't remember everything that happened after that but just glad there weren't camera phones back then.

Originally Posted by Troker View Post
    I was 13 and not an OU fan. To this date I've never had a team I root for win a championship.

At least we have the Thunder now. That's one positive.
    Sounds like you're the ****in problem.
    2 users like mightysooner's post: Blacksheep 171, thurman murman

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Hahahaa I was 26!!
    Were you still a virgin?

Originally Posted by Troker View Post

Thanks for this LASooner. I still watch it at least once a month.

**** it's depressing around here.
    Love this video.

The last time that happened.. the kids being recruited were 4 and 5 years old.

Originally Posted by HudBannon View Post
    1 championship season in the 28 years since '85. I was 7 and 22 years old for the last two NC's. As long as it has been, I hate to think of how long we may have to yet still wait. I sure hope I don't have to wait till I'm in my 40's...or 50's.
    Oh shit! I'm in my 50s now. You mean by the time we win another, I won't even remember the words to Boomer Sooner??

This phone was state of the art back then
    2 users like soonerdm's post: HeroOfTheDay, The

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Re: Remember the time Stoops raised the crystal ball?

Originally Posted by I.M. Hipp83 View Post
    Stoops is now Mr. Kruger of Kruger Industrial Smoothings....."We don't care...and it shows"
    Whaaaaaaaatever...

Re: Remember the time Stoops raised the crystal ball?

Prove it then Bobby

I was there, and thought he would win 5 more in the next 10 years. Should have won at least 3 more by now. Lost his edge. Attention to detail. Saban has this, so does Urban the Legend.
    The following users like this post: byrk75

Originally Posted by byrk75 View Post
    Prove it then Bobby
    BYRK!!!!
    The following users like this post: byrk75

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Texas is going to light us up...Motherbird post prior to the 63-14 game.