Final A.P. Poll

Posted 652 day(s) ago 2191 Views 39 Replies

Final A.P. Poll

Not too bad of a fall for the ass kicking we took.
    Team Record Pts Pv
    1. Alabama (59) 13-1 1,475 2
    2. Oregon 12-1 1,358 5
    3. Ohio St. 12-0 1,302 3
    4. Notre Dame 12-1 1,288 1
    5. Georgia 12-2 1,230 6
    5. Texas A&M 11-2 1,230 10
    7. Stanford 12-2 1,169 8
    8. South Carolina 11-2 1,038 11
    9. Florida 11-2 933 4
    10. Florida St. 12-2 922 13
    11. Clemson 11-2 889 14
    12. Kansas St. 11-2 871 7
    13. Louisville 11-2 781 22
    14. LSU 10-3 756 9
    15. Oklahoma 10-3 615 12
    16. Utah St. 11-2 456 18
    17. Northwestern 10-3 443 21
    18. Boise St. 11-2 419 20
    19. Texas 9-4 358 NR
    20. Oregon St. 9-4 303 15
    21. San Jose St. 11-2 243 24
    22. N. Illinois 12-2 227 16
    23. Vanderbilt 9-4 180 NR
    24. Michigan 8-5 147 19
    25. Nebraska 10-4 119 23

Only three Big XII teams in the top 25, and none in the top 10. Wow.

I'm guessing Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, and Texas A&M will be next season's pre-season top 4. We may be in the top 15 pre-season if we are lucky.

I know it's meaningless, but how in the world is NIU still ranked?

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Only three Big XII teams in the top 25, and none in the top 10. Wow.
    But by all means, let's keep hanging our hats on winning/sharing conference titles in this shit ass league

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    Wow, the big 12 is going to struggle this year

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    Well we were B12 co-champs.

Florida above Louisville....

B12 = Bus trash, unless expansion happens by 2015. Problem is, nobody wants to expand into the Big 12 these days....
    The following users like this post: SoonerDan74012

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    Florida above Louisville....
    Stanford below Oregon.

OU is the second highest ranked 3 loss team!!

What in all that is sacred in CFB is that ****ed up Texas team doing ranked in the top 25? Utah State #16???

stanford should be higher

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    I'm guessing Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, and Texas A&M will be next season's pre-season top 4. We may be in the top 15 pre-season if we are lucky.
    ATM only has 10 returning starters on the whole team with 4 of the 5 OL graduating. I would think 4 is a bit high.

It's AD, not AP. Oh wait.
    4 users like ozz's post: Orange is ugly, OUMallen, Pardner, SleestakkSooner

Osu - team on the rise
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

Only SR on the A&M line was the center - Lewis.

RT - Mathews has already stated he is coming back.

LT - Joekel to decide in the next couple of days.

So they will only lose 1-2 from the OL.

A&M might be ranked #2 preseason

SEC Speed

Originally Posted by ousoonerpip View Post
    A&M might be ranked #2 preseason
    Just want to poll the forum and hear everyone's thoughts on us moving to the SEC. Our defensive recruiting would hopefully increase and offensive recruiting has always been strong.

I know its likely not going to happen but I wanted to hear some educated opinions. Key word: educated

at least we finished above Utah State!!!

Originally Posted by BoomSoon View Post
    Just want to poll the forum and hear everyone's thoughts on us moving to the SEC. Our defensive recruiting would hopefully increase and offensive recruiting has always been strong.

I know its likely not going to happen but I wanted to hear some educated opinions. Key word: educated
    Key word educated... perhaps you look in the wrong spot.
    This is a place for us to drown our sorrows amonst like minded peoples.

I'm not a Dr. but I am a MASTER (of Arts) so my educated view is we are more likely to go in the Big East than the SEC.

I dont understand why these posts keep popping up. That ship has already sailed. And as long as Boren is Head Master, that ship wont be coming by our port again. OU is not going to the sec, so why even discuss it?

The bottom 10 of the top 25 is the weakest I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
    Only SR on the A&M line was the center - Lewis.

RT - Mathews has already stated he is coming back.

LT - Joekel to decide in the next couple of days.

So they will only lose 1-2 from the OL.
    Joeckel declared today so they lose 2

Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
    But by all means, let's keep hanging our hats on winning/sharing conference titles in this shit ass league
    What is your ranking of conferences?

Obviously SEC is #1. But where do rate this shit ass league?

Originally Posted by Drake View Post

It's probably the overall #2 league but the reality is that there are a bunch of slightly above average teams and no great ones.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    Joeckel declared today so they lose 2
    Joeckel is a stud, so that's a big loss.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Joeckel is a stud, so that's a big loss.
    agreed, Mathews' brother takes over the center spot for the departed senior but I don't know who takes over for Joeckel

I remember when we were recruiting Joeckel, I wanted him b/c he looked like a nasty mofo

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    The bottom 10 of the top 25 is the weakest I've ever seen.
    Not really. It's about normal if you look at power ratings. It's just that you see a lot of faces that you would not expect to see and a lot of the regular faces are either not there or lower than they normally are. I would love to have Utah State's offensive and defensive lines. The smaller schools don't get the big time QBs, WRs and RBs but they get a lot of good linemen which makes their QBs, WRs and RBs look a lot better.

I'd rank them #2 where every other computer has them ranked.

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    Not really. It's about normal if you look at power ratings. It's just that you see a lot of faces that you would not expect to see and a lot of the regular faces are either not there or lower than they normally are. I would love to have Utah State's offensive and defensive lines. The smaller schools don't get the big time QBs, WRs and RBs but they get a lot of good linemen which makes their QBs, WRs and RBs look a lot better.

I think you're backwards on this one. Those schools tend to have very good WR and RB. They tend to not have much on the lines, but they don't face other teams with good lines so it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    It's probably the overall #2 league but the reality is that there are a bunch of slightly above average teams and no great ones.
    There is only one bad team in the conference. All the rest are above average and three of those teams are pretty good. None are great but there aren't a lot of great teams. Alabama is a great team. Until teams start building defenses like Barry Switzer used to have and they start running the ball more to keep other defenses honest then there won't be very many great teams. Corso hit the nail on the head before the NCG when he said that Saban was a great coach because he was a great teacher. He teaches the fundamentals of football that you need to beat quality football teams. He doesn't try to use trickery to beat you. He lines his team up and plays smash mouth football. He runs the ball down your throar until you can stop it and sprinkles play action passes in to burn your linebackers and safeties who have to play close to the LOS to try and stop the run. A run first offense will win the title nine out of ten times (probably more).
    The following users like this post: BobbyDMusic

Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    Osu - team on the rise
    This guy has such a hard on for the freagin Pukes. There ya go ruining another thread.

Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    I think you're backwards on this one. Those schools tend to have very good WR and RB. They tend to not have much on the lines, but they don't face other teams with good lines so it doesn't matter.
    The MWC and WAC have always gotten a lot of big Samoans or tough white guys that don't mind living in cold desolate locations in Utah and Idaho. A good QB or a good WR isn't worth much unless they have a line that can give the QB time to find that WR. While big time schools are fighting over 4 and 5 star players, smaller schools are just looking for serviceable guys that want to play football.

Bill Blankenship did pretty well in his first year at the smallest university in Div IA. Wonder what he could've done at OU with a top QB and WR corp and a bunch of local players thrown in that want to play football for their favorite university instead of players that just want to use OU as a stepping stone to the NFL.

Final A.P. Poll

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    agreed, Mathews' brother takes over the center spot for the departed senior but I don't know who takes over for Joeckel

I remember when we were recruiting Joeckel, I wanted him b/c he looked like a nasty mofo
    I think during the game they mentioned that one of the guards is a natural left tackle and would be sliding over to replace Joeckel.

I'm not down on the Big 12 like everyone else. I think it is far deeper than the SEC. However, it is undeniable that recruiting in the SEC is much stronger. We can thanks ESPN for that. When you look at the SEC this year, with the exception of Alabama and A&M, it was overrated. Clemson took care of LSU, and Louisville never trailed Florida in that game.

The Big 12 didn't have two teams as good as 'Bama and A&M this year, but that's not to say that will always be the case.
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    I'd rank them #2 where every other computer has them ranked.
    Agree. My shit ass league comment was in reference to Saul Good.

This league hasn't had a great team since the OU (& probably UT) in 2008. But our middleish teams are typically as good or better than most leagues
    The following users like this post: DarrellS011

Haha, take that Boise!!

At least the Big 12 is 2nd best to the SEC! Oh wait, even the Pac 12 is better.

Agree. My shit ass league comment was in reference to Saul Good.

This league hasn't had a great team since the OU (& probably UT) in 2008. But our middleish teams are typically as good or better than most leagues
    Finally had a chance to log back in. Frankly, Im not sure how I would rank conferences. I think the Pac 12 would have a legit argument agaist the Big 12. They have an equal number of teams in the top 25 as the Big 12 and their top two are ranked above KSU (our highest). Not to mention the depantsing their non-champion did to our co-champion. While you state our middle might be better, Im not so sure how good our "middle is". OSU played an absolutely HORRIBLE team in a bowl game (if OSU and PSU are not on probation, does Purdue even make a bowl?). Prior to playing the equivielent of a D2 team in the bowl game, they were 7-5. Hardly material to brag about. Texas and Baylor had good wins (Baylor bordering on great) but after that, we have CRAP. Tech squeeked by freaking Minnesota in what was the equivilent to a home game (see Texas too regarding home games), TCU was beaten by a .500 Michigan State team (joke), WVU got throttled by a basketball school with a football problem. ISU was physically dominated by Tulsa. Tulsa is a good story but not a quality win EVER, let alone "quality loss". So when you sandwhich OSU, Tx, and Baylor with the co-champs both getting their ass kicked by non conference champs and the bottom 4 bowl qualifiers not performing well at all, Im just not sure how you can brag on the Big 12.

With all that said, the Big 12 may very well be #2 but with the product I described above is hardly worthy of pounding our chests. There is a joke somewhere about being 2nd at the special olympics. I stand by my assessment that this league, currently, is shit ass and needs improvement BOTH by the marquee teams (OU and Texas) as well as improvement from some of the bottom feeders/middle men. Perception is reality in the college football world and right now, perception of the Big 12 is not that great.
    Last edited by Saul Good; January 9th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.