OU 2013 Offense & Defense

Posted 686 day(s) ago 3272 Views 59 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

OU 2013 Offense & Defense

As I watched the 1st half of the NCG last night, I thought OU can do what 'Bama is doing. I-formation with Bell, Millard/Ripkowski, and Williams/Clay in the backfield. The line isn't a bunch of scrubs and played pretty well this year. The roster has some highly recruited TEs and really just one of them needs to step up and be a threat to the defense...WRs are fine and will be for years.

Defense...we are screwed. Not sure where help is coming from on the DL and LB positions....JUCO? RS Frosh?

Alabama rushed for like 265 yds against what had been dubbed as the toughest front 7 in college football.
    OU hasn't run the football that well since Barry Switzer installed the wishbone. Stoops has had some record setting teams at OU but none of them EVER even approached running the football like Alabama did against Notre Dame last nite.
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

until we get an o line that avg's over 300+ lbs we're not running the ball like that...
    The following users like this post: Meni

They are all over 300 except Ikard and he's arguably our best lineman.

Originally Posted by cozyone View Post
    As I watched the 1st half of the NCG last night, I thought OU can do what 'Bama is doing. I-formation with Bell, Millard/Ripkowski, and Williams/Clay in the backfield. The line isn't a bunch of scrubs and played pretty well this year. The roster has some highly recruited TEs and really just one of them needs to step up and be a threat to the defense...WRs are fine and will be for years.

Defense...we are screwed. Not sure where help is coming from on the DL and LB positions....JUCO? RS Frosh?
    You're nuts regarding our offense being able to come close to replicating what Bama did last night. Your assessment of the D is spot on.

We can only pray

I actually think our defense will end up being better next year than this year, honestly how much worse can they get?
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    I actually think our defense will end up being better next year than this year, honestly how much worse can they get?
    I really want some of that kool aid. What do you see that I don't? I mean sure another year in the system should help some, but if the underclassman had any tangible improvement over the starters I have to think Mike would have played them this year as bad as we were. I had high hopes for Jordan Philips this year that never really materialized. Frank Shannon was an improvement over Wort, but not much better. What do you see? I want to believe, but I don't see it...

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I really want some of that kool aid. What do you see that I don't? I mean sure another year in the system should help some, but if the underclassman had any tangible improvement over the starters I have to think Mike would have played them this year as bad as we were. I had high hopes for Jordan Philips this year that never really materialized. Frank Shannon was an improvement over Wort, but not much better. What do you see? I want to believe, but I don't see it...
    I'm just saying I think they should automatically be better, I thought we saw the bottom of the barrel defensively this year. It has to improve even though we are replacing a lot. I know its possible we could be worse but I just don't believe it will be. We were really bad this year, I expect to be bad again next year but improved if ever so slightly than what the 2012 defense showed us.

Originally Posted by OkieforOU View Post
    Alabama rushed for like 265 yds against what had been dubbed as the toughest front 7 in college football.
    OU hasn't run the football that well since Barry Switzer installed the wishbone. Stoops has had some record setting teams at OU but none of them EVER even approached running the football like Alabama did against Notre Dame last nite.
    2008 was probably your best OL. In order for OU to do what Bama did you need that kind of talent up front and OU frankly doesn't right now.
    2 users like S11-Baylor's post: KCRuf/Nek, soonerbldr

I know a lot of people on here scoffed at this, but I tend to agree. However, if he tries to run out that 6 or 7 DB scheme again, I'm going to drive to Norman, pull his shirt over his head, and hockey punch him until he cries. What a waste of a week in preparation.

I do like seeing the fire that I saw out of Mike while re-watching the game. However, I do believe it was more about not wanting to be embarrassed.
    The following users like this post: greensooner

I hope we go seriously after the best OL, DL, and LB's in Juco. I don't know whats out there, but there have to be some guys that are better than what we have. But, that brings on another question...is it talent that we are lacking, or good coaching? If its coaching, we could bring in all the Juco talent we wanted, but it wouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by OkieforOU View Post

3 users like HeroOfTheDay's post: El Jefe, Teo9969, veyron_80

in stoops' first year....the defense was pretty weak...
    it made a huge improvement in year 2...
    of course we had some great players back then...
    i think mike can turn things around......but i doubt we have the players to do it next year.....

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post

no

Originally Posted by willie View Post
    no
    No?

AD = 1925 yards his freshman year

Demarco and CB in 2008 = Over 1,000 yards each

What more do you want? Line up in the damn wishbone or run Air Force's offense?
    2 users like HeroOfTheDay's post: Dr Sleep, The Dude

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    in stoops' first year....the defense was pretty weak...
    it made a huge improvement in year 2...
    of course we had some great players back then...
    i think mike can turn things around......but i doubt we have the players to do it next year.....
    OU also radically changed up coverage schemes and was way ahead of the Big 12 offenses of the time schematically. That was as big of a reason as any for the dramatic turnaround.

It's the line play, how many bama lineman going round 1? 2 or 3? how many OU? Lane will be lucky to go round 5

AD had? Chris Chester, Jammal Brown, Davin Joseph, all still in the NFL
    OU today has?

No?

AD = 1925 yards his freshman year

Demarco and CB in 2008 = Over 1,000 yards each

What more do you want? Line up in the damn wishbone or run Air Force's offense?
    I am not saying they ran the ball well but to say they were capable of running it like Bama did last night is silly

Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I am not saying they ran the ball well but to say they were capable of running it like Bama did last night is silly
    I'd say OU did both those years.

Originally Posted by S11-Baylor View Post
    OU also radically changed up coverage schemes and was way ahead of the Big 12 offenses of the time schematically. That was as big of a reason as any for the dramatic turnaround.

that's one theory....

wrt the offense.....i think we could be better next year..
    landry was a good qb but he was fools gold....
    a new qb will force heupel to change philosophies and hopefully will bring fresh ideas....

You know things are bad when a ****ing Baylor fan is telling us how to run a ****ing offense.
    The following users like this post: DarrellS011

Except when it mattered. AD had his lowest total against USC and we stalled out twice inside the 5 against Florida.

OU has never been able to run it like Bama does during Stoops' tenure. With AD it was feast or famine. Lots of two yard carries and hopefully breaks a long one. 2008 was probably our best efforts but even then we weren't just ripping off 6 yards every damn snap when the opponent knew it was coming.
    The following users like this post: ArmySooner

I like it

Not when it mattered.
    The following users like this post: ArmySooner

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    OU has never been able to run it like Bama does during Stoops tenure. With AD is was feast or famine. Lots of two yard carries and hopefully breaks a long one. 2008 was probably our best efforts but even then we weren't just ripping off 6 yards every damn snap when the opponent knew it was coming.
    Yup, see the Texas game, TCU game, and of course........Florida.

I want to see us go to a more pro style offense and get more physical. The spread offense is played out.

Originally Posted by ourn View Post
    Not when it mattered.
    God forbid OU lost to the better team in 2004 and 2008?

Originally Posted by ousoonerpip View Post
    I want to see us go to a more pro style offense and get more physical. The spread offense is played out.
    Schematically you kinda already do what most pro teams do. The issue is the talent on the OL. Yes you go uptempo and will use 3-4 wr's but the schemes are pretty much the same blocking up front we see from a lot of pros.

Our scheme on offense will work significantly better when we have a QB who can move the chains with his legs. Just the threat of that will make everything else in the offense easier. And we are loaded with talent at RB, WR, and most of the o-line two deep is returning.

Defense... lots of problems. Mike is recruiting well in the secondary. I like the guys we've got coming in to play DEnd. We need another good DT or two. We need another good LB or two. And more importantly than that, we need some pride. Seems like getting scorched week in and week out by Big 12 offenses has made even our good efforts look mediocre. I think that's worn on the team's psyche.

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    Our scheme on offense will work significantly better when we have a QB who can move the chains with his legs. Just the threat of that will make everything else in the offense easier. And we are loaded with talent at RB, WR, and most of the o-line two deep is returning.

Defense... lots of problems. Mike is recruiting well in the secondary. I like the guys we've got coming in to play DEnd. We need another good DT or two. We need another good LB or two. And more importantly than that, we need some pride. Seems like getting scorched week in and week out by Big 12 offenses has made even our good efforts look mediocre. I think that's worn on the team's psyche.

i disagree that we are loaded with talent at rb and wr.....

If you have access, you should look at the Cale Gundy led offense when we played Viginia in the '91 Gator Bowl. Oklahoma's offensive strategy was executed almost perfectly as they piled up 618 yards in total offense and picked up 36 first downs. Gundy completed 25 of 31 passes for 329 yards and two touchdowns, and was named the game's Most Valuable Player, and Cory Warren was on the receiving end of five of his passes and picked up 110 yards. Gaddis led the Sooners' 261-yard rushing attack with 104 yards on 20 carries, and scored three touchdowns.
    The following users like this post: cozyone

Originally Posted by pawneesooner View Post
    Bell to LB.
    You're right

Originally Posted by ousoonerpip View Post
    ^^^ This

The spread will never win us another title. The spread didn't even win us a title in 2000, defense did. In 2000, we moved the ball in between the 20s like we always do against good defenses and settled for field goals in the red zone against Florida State. It was a harbinger of things to come. We got lucky when we forced a fumble from Weinke on their 13 yd old and had a tiny back that slipped in between some blockers unseen with a lane to the end zone for the only TD we scored otherwise we never score a TD in that game. This spread we play is from the 90's and everybody knows it can't operate on a condensed field (red zone). That's why we've never scored more than 19 points against a good team in a bowl game and never will.

Alabama can do that because they have cornered the OL market in high school recruits. Oversigning, SEC recruiting territory (ie FL, AL, MS, GA, and LA), allows for collecting as many 300+ lb OL with the footwork of LBs as necessary and cut the chaff from the wheat. If we tried to run that offense next year, we'd resemble Iowa more than Alabama. Alabama also has a phenomenal defense. They could run any offense they want and the result would be the same. We had a great OL and one of the best RBs in history in 2004 and squeezed, what, 80 yards out of AD on 25 carries against USC? That basically is our ceiling as to what we can do in a "run first" I formation running the "Bama" offense. USC blew us out and still threw more than they passed against us (and we ran more than we threw against them)...

We have to be more realistic within the boundaries of our recruiting. TX really doesn't produce quality linemen the same way that the Louisiana to Georgia corridor does. We won't have the lines of scrimmage that LSU and Alabama have. However, we can emulate the teams of FL under Meyer or USC under Carroll. Good enough at the LOS (better then we have been, of course), fast defenses, but well schemed offenses based on misdirection and less on predictability. Run a spread offense with a dual threat QB like FL under Meyer, Auburn under Cam, or A&M this year (all of whom beat Bama at some point), or run a throw-the-ball-to-set-up-the-run under center offense like USC ran. Both are realistic and doable.
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

IRT Defense: Mike Stoops is as big of an issue/problem as our perceived (and somewhat actual) lack of front 7 talent. Mike came in and radically changed the scheme for the one part of last years defense that has actually produced and worked - the aggressive and attacking front 7. Now we don't produce turnovers other than the interceptions that his improved secondary make, almost no pressure or sacks, significantly less tfl's ect ect. Why? Ego? Stubbornness? A desire for credit and glory as a DC?

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    ^^^ This

The spread will never win us another title. The spread didn't even win us a title in 2000, defense did. In 2000, we moved the ball in between the 20s like we always do against good defenses and settled for field goals in the red zone against Florida State. It was a harbinger of things to come. We got lucky when we forced a fumble from Weinke on their 13 yd old and had a tiny back that slipped in between some blockers unseen with a lane to the end zone for the only TD we scored otherwise we never score a TD in that game. This spread we play is from the 90's and everybody knows it can't operate on a condensed field (red zone). That's why we've never scored more than 19 points against a good team in a bowl game and never will.
    I would agree that our version of the spread won't win a title, but to say the spread in general won't win or compete for one doesn't fit with recent history. Florida ran the spread. Texas did with Vince and Colt. Auburn did. Oregon does. Texas A&M does, and they beat Bama on the road. The spread works with a mobile QB who is better than average at throwing the ball. Can't run the spread with an immobile QB, can't run the spread with a mobile QB who can't pass (ie, Michigan under Denard Robinson), but the mixture of QB who can run and pass equally well still works. And arguably, the only antidote to score on Alabama.

The spread did help us win in 2000. Part of the reason our offense didn't explode for points against FSU was because of Josh' elbow. We had receivers open against FSU, but Josh could not hit them. We had no long term NFL prospect on offense. Possibly the least talented BCS champion on offense. We would not have gone through Red October without the dynamic offense we ran. However, we did a lot of different things in 2000 that we haven't even tried to do in about a decade. Our WRs were threats to carry the ball on end arounds. We ran the speed option with Josh Heupel. When was the last time we did either of those things? Had the cajones to run a speed option on 4th and 1 in a Big 12 title game? We did everything in that offense. The shotgun was our base offense, but we did so many other things that the defense was always on its toes. I still believe the 2000 playbook was our best playbook, with about half the talent of the 2004 and 2008 teams. We take that playbook into 2004 and 2008, the USC game is at least more competitive and we beat Florida.

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    IRT Defense: Mike Stoops is as big of an issue/problem as our perceived (and somewhat actual) lack of front 7 talent. Mike came in and radically changed the scheme for the one part of last years defense that has actually produced and worked - the aggressive and attacking front 7. Now we don't produce turnovers other than the interceptions that his improved secondary make, almost no pressure or sacks, significantly less tfl's ect ect. Why? Ego? Stubbornness? A desire for credit and glory as a DC?
    The aggressive and attacking front 7? They were non-existent the prior two years to this season as well and if Mike Stoops would have stuck with Brent Venables philosophy, OU would have lost to Texas Tech AGAIN and Baylor AGAIN. OU's record would have been worse this season with the prior philosophy.

We have plenty of 300lb OL that can get the job done. Think of a goal line or short yardage situation with Bell at QB, Rip at FB and Millard dotting the I. It opens up a ton of possibilities...sneaks (where have those been), bootlegs, no nonsense here we come down your thoat and play action.

What will make our ol better is getting a quality dl to go against every day.
    The following users like this post: BAMFSooner

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    The aggressive and attacking front 7? They were non-existent the prior two years to this season as well and if Mike Stoops would have stuck with Brent Venables philosophy, OU would have lost to Texas Tech AGAIN and Baylor AGAIN. OU's record would have been worse this season with the prior philosophy.
    The numbers , defensive statistical rankings (outside of pass defense),and the on field results vehemently disagree with you. I do agree that if our secondary have up the big plays like last year (18td passes) , then yes, we would have lost to those particular teams most likely....if our offense was as wildly inconstant as it was post ryan broyles and dom whaley. That was our only real failing last year . The numbers from the last five seasons bear this out.

OU can do what 'Bama is doing. I-formation with Bell, Millard/Ripkowski, and Williams/Clay in the backfield. The line isn't a bunch of scrubs and played pretty well this year. The roster has some highly recruited TEs and really just one of them needs to step up and be a threat to the defense...WRs are fine and will be for years.
    Yeah ****ing right. Not with this staff.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i disagree that we are loaded with talent at rb and wr.....
    Keith Ford is a five star. Alex Ross is a 4 star. Damien Williams is returning and is good. Trey Millard is returning and might be the best fullback in the country.

Saunders was our best WR the 2nd half of the season. Shepard is a future star. Neal and Metoyer were both very highly recruited players.

How much talent equals loaded?

Keith Ford is a five star. Alex Ross is a 4 star. Damien Williams is returning and is good. Trey Millard is returning and might be the best fullback in the country.

Saunders was our best WR the 2nd half of the season. Shepard is a future star. Neal and Metoyer were both very highly recruited players.

I'll give you the receivers, but these past couple of years should have taught you that a recruits rankings are irrelevant once they are here. I will wait until I see Alex Ross and Keith Ford in games before I say we are loaded with RB talent

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    You're right
    You actually joke but I heard it on Sports Animal suggested it yesterday. I looked it up Millard was playing ILB in high school.... Couple you imagine Millard shooting the gap and stealing your soul?

ESPN LINK

When OU had an able TE, like Gresham, the hurry up was deadly because defenses couldn't substitute based on what package was on the field. Hopefully McNamara can step up and make it happen after his shoulder heals up.

ok..on paper we have decent talent at wr/rb...
    just like qb.....
    i'll believe it when i see it.....