Becareful what you wish for

Posted 656 day(s) ago 934 Views 36 Replies

I have been back and forth on how I feel about Bob and the staff. I dont think that I am at the extreme like most that I would be willing to gamble and bring another coach in. To find a coach to come in here and rattle off 10 win seasons like Stoops has, that is a tough task at hand. I do agree he has lost some fire, and I also agree that there needs to be MANY changes with his staff. This is what will make my mind up for me...if he makes no changes, then I know he is stubborn and when he feels his decisions, though not best for the program, but what he wants is more important and we continue down this path, I would follow most and say it is time for a change at the HC. I am hoping he will do the right thing and make some changes...I am doubtful of this, but lets see.

He made changes. Brent is gone. He ran off a lot of players in the off-season. We are moving to a more mobile qb game.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I have been back and forth on how I feel about Bob and the staff. I dont think that I am at the extreme like most that I would be willing to gamble and bring another coach in. To find a coach to come in here and rattle off 10 win seasons like Stoops has, that is a tough task at hand. I do agree he has lost some fire, and I also agree that there needs to be MANY changes with his staff. This is what will make my mind up for me...if he makes no changes, then I know he is stubborn and when he feels his decisions, though not best for the program, but what he wants is more important and we continue down this path, I would follow most and say it is time for a change at the HC. I am hoping he will do the right thing and make some changes...I am doubtful of this, but lets see.
    I'd be willing to wager that there will be no significant changes to the staff in the offseason. This staff did produce a Big XII co-championship afterall. :-/

Bob is stubborn and, in my opinion, unwilling to make the tough calls at this stage in his career. That's why we rarely gamble with trick plays and why his staff has become a group of fat (literally), happy and comfortable drinking buddies. Our recruiting flops are another indicator. Laziness and complacency has set in with the OU staff.
    The following users like this post: soonirvana

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    He made changes. Brent is gone. He ran off a lot of players in the off-season. We are moving to a more mobile qb game.
    not sure if you are serious.

Originally Posted by ElGuapoSooner View Post
    I'd be willing to wager that there will be no significant changes to the staff in the offseason. This staff did produce a Big XII co-championship afterall. :-/

Bob is stubborn and, in my opinion, unwilling to make the tough calls at this stage in his career. That's why we rarely gamble with trick plays and why his staff has become a group of fat (literally), happy and comfortable drinking buddies. Our recruiting flops are another indicator. Laziness and complacency has set in with the OU staff.
    I am hoping you are wrong...I am worried you are right.

I look forward to the next 8 months of hand wringing and regurgitation.

Offseason!

while I don't think we are completely in the shitter going forward, we are going to have a couple lean years likely...at least next year, I've been hopeful that 2014 we would challenge again but I'm trying to temper my expectations of this team

kinda sick and tired of believing all the hype every year and then watching us get our shit pushed up while the team doesn't even care and aren't affected by it

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post

Offseason!
    I look forward to more oorah, we fo sho dont see enough posts...but hey you are now closer to 11,500 by just posting on this one.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

I agree. When I step back and think about where I was last year at this time, I remember thinking I wanted to see changes. I wanted to see a change defensively, which we saw, and I wanted to see the cancers out of the locker room and I think they worked toward that. As long as they continue to evolve, I'll be patient. I'm anxious to see what's ahead.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    while I don't think we are completely in the shitter going forward, we are going to have a couple lean years likely...at least next year, I've been hopeful that 2014 we would challenge again but I'm trying to temper my expectations of this team

kinda sick and tired of believing all the hype every year and then watching us get our shit pushed up while the team doesn't even care and aren't affected by it
    this is what gets me too

We need to have a new attitude. If Stoops is the guy to lead us to that change I'm for it. But he hasn't shown any of the signs that he has the last 8 years or so.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    We need to have a new attitude. If Stoops is the guy to lead us to that change I'm for it. But he hasn't shown any of the signs that he has the last 8 years or so.
    I feel like if he does nothing and we move into next year with the same staff and we do not win the big 12 out right (I am not saying this should be our only expectation) but I think he will move on. I am thinking he will feel the heat this off season, now will he care about what the fans think? That is another question.

If we show these attitude changes but still go 8-5 this year or something because of these changes then I'm not really for getting rid of Stoops. It's not just about wins and losses. Watching this program the last 7 or 8 years has mostly been a pain. The only exception was the 07-08 years of course and that was more for the innovative offense.

I have said it on many threads, and I am for sure no expert...but I think we lack talent in many areas...DL, LB, and I have been nervous about talent in the secondary when you see GAbe Lynn still out there and I wont ever say his name again only #30. I think we need a coach that can recruit, period, that is a start. Then we need an OC, JH is WAY over his ****ing head, this was the biggest mistake Stoops made. He tries to be too loyal and promote within, major **** up here. He should have brought big boy back to run the OC. I am giving MS a pass, until he can bring some of his athletes in...so 2 changes I see that needs to me made immediately.

Do you feel he would have made those changes regarding Brent if his brother wasn't needing a gig? Players leave every year, I'm not sure he ran more off this past year than previous year defections. They just seemed to get more pub for some reason. I'll believe the mobile qb game when I see it for a full season. We have the same coaches and I don't feel zebras can truly change their stripes after this long.

We may need to see scheme changes because we just lost all our DLinemen and have only a couple reserves coming back. Unless we recruit some real talent we won't be better on a 4-3 Line. But also only playing 2 LBs in our scheme is dumb. Especially with how so many teams utilize QBs to move around. We basically don't even have anyone to account for a mobile QB in our scheme.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Do you feel he would have made those changes regarding Brent if his brother wasn't needing a gig? Players leave every year, I'm not sure he ran more off this past year than previous year defections. They just seemed to get more pub for some reason. I'll believe the mobile qb game when I see it for a full season. We have the same coaches and I don't feel zebras can truly change their stripes after this long.
    We did see the offense change from a shotgun offense that wasn't really a spread offense but spreadlite with White to more of Ace formation with AD/Bomar/PT/Allan Patric then to a more spread offense with Bradford then the no huddle stuff with Kevin Wilson. The only time we had any mobility in the QB play was with White as a freshman.

It's going to be pretty easy to improve on McFarland, McGee and Walker at the DT spots. No, it's going to be real easy actually.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    It's going to be pretty easy to improve on McFarland, McGee and Walker at the DT spots. No, it's going to be real easy actually.
    It could be real easy to get worse than those guys too as in having only one true DT. But still if the attitude we have from the top is the same we shouldn't expect to have a tougher team at the trenches either.

With who? I mean if the players behind them were better wouldn't they have been the ones playing?

Says who?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post

Offseason!
    So I guess mods are allowed to derail and thread shit? Good to know and keep up the good work.
    4 users like Fahooglegods's post: H82Lose, lobster999, oorah_okie, Turk

Any organization can, and I argue, will become complacent with success.
    An infusion of "new blood" is always needed to keep everyone from the
    top down sharp and alive. Hey y'all, I remember Bud's & Barry's last few
    years and the temporary program depression that followed.
    This too shall pass!

I think it's bullshit for Stoops to not care what fans think. If you don't care what fans think? Then why would you care about the production on the field? At least that's the conclusion I would come to. The smug act is old. He's on the sidelines clapping like Mack and then he gets in the presser and goes into dick mode. I have always really liked Bob. He was always a no nonsense guy. No excuses. We will play the best players. I loved all that stuff. But now the guy has sunk to claiming conference championships that he should not. YES...YES...the way it works out now...OU is a co Big 12 Champ this year. But the old Bob woulda shrugged that title off and said "we're gonna go out next year and win another one by ourselves".

With who? I mean if the players behind them were better wouldn't they have been the ones playing?
    Starting QB: Paul Thompson
    Back Up: Sam Bradford

I do not know the answer to this but how many head coaches have won a NC after having been with the same school for 12 years? Talking BCS.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    It could be real easy to get worse than those guys too as in having only one true DT. But still if the attitude we have from the top is the same we shouldn't expect to have a tougher team at the trenches either.
    I am pretty convinced it can't get worse there. I have never seen a group of players be the exact same players they were when they stepped on campus as when they left campus.

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    Starting QB: Paul Thompson
    Back Up: Sam Bradford
    The year before we started a freshman that couldn't even take snaps over Paul Thompson.

Jordan Phillips, Jordan Wade, Marquis Anderson, Torrea Peterson and Damon Williams. People act like OU doesn't have any DTs on campus. Are they unproven? Yes, but McFarland, McGee and Walker were proven to not do a damn thing in their 4 years. Phillips is bigger than those guys and smokes all of them in footwork and lateral speed.

It's going to be very difficult to be worse than the least talented defensive tackles Oklahoma has fielded in its modern history in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons. Phillips alone will make the DTs better next season than it was the prior 3 seasons. Why isn't he starting? Because Jackie Shipp doesn't know what he is doing and that's been evident the past few seasons now. OU WILL be better at the DT spots next season.

DEs and LBs are what concern me. The LBs almost need a wholesale change as Frank Shannon probably performed the best despite his youth, but Nelson hasn't even come close to his 5 star prep ranking and Wort is dazed, confused and is missing Venables. DEs have some hope with Ndulue who had some solid numbers for his first season of starting action and it's good that Grissom is back where he belongs. Really need Tapper to step up though, because any injuries anywhere in the defensive front will be scary next season just as it was on the offensive line this season.

Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    So I guess mods are allowed to derail and thread shit? Good to know and keep up the good work.
    he does it all the time...or says this is "stillwater bound" like his threads are God like. When I am accused of a sunshine pumper, I only need to refer to his posts, which to him never gets old.

me no mod.

Jordan Phillips, Jordan Wade, Marquis Anderson, Torrea Peterson and Damon Williams. People act like OU doesn't have any DTs on campus. Are they unproven? Yes, but McFarland, McGee and Walker were proven to not do a damn thing in their 4 years. Phillips is bigger than those guys and smokes all of them in footwork and lateral speed.

It's going to be very difficult to be worse than the least talented defensive tackles Oklahoma has fielded in its modern history in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons. Phillips alone will make the DTs better next season than it was the prior 3 seasons. Why isn't he starting? Because Jackie Shipp doesn't know what he is doing and that's been evident the past few seasons now. OU WILL be better at the DT spots next season.

DEs and LBs are what concern me. The LBs almost need a wholesale change as Frank Shannon probably performed the best despite his youth, but Nelson hasn't even come close to his 5 star prep ranking and Wort is dazed, confused and is missing Venables. DEs have some hope with Ndulue who had some solid numbers for his first season of starting action and it's good that Grissom is back where he belongs. Really need Tapper to step up though, because any injuries anywhere in the defensive front will be scary next season just as it was on the offensive line this season.
    What are the chances that Marquis and Torrea are both grade eligible and not suspended for rules violations for the full season next year?

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    he does it all the time...or says this is "stillwater bound" like his threads are God like. When I am accused of a sunshine pumper, I only need to refer to his posts, which to him never gets old.
    True. Do you see what you have done oorah! You have me agreeing with H82.

Then again we may get along now that Landry is gonzo.

trust me...it was hard for me to type.

gosh dammit! I NEVER said I loved Landry, NEVER. I said he was up and down and inconsistant. I said he is not a 1st rounder and I never said he would be a starter in the NFL. I am not sure where we were off on this debate. I do think Landry has a GREAT ARM and he can make the GREAT THROWS...but he can also throw picks at the wrong time and I felt like he always ****ed up right when we needed him the most. BUT- I will not say he is just garbage, and a shitty QB. I will agree, I am glad he is gone. For the main reason of me not getting my hopes up next year. I have no expectations of winning the NC next year, because we do not have a proven QB.

What are the chances that Marquis and Torrea are both grade eligible and not suspended for rules violations for the full season next year?
    I'd like to know if they are and if they can't stay out of trouble, maybe it's time to part ways with them...they don't need 3 and 4 chances

We finished as Big-12 co-champs. We finished 10-3 and ranked #15. The only teams we lost to finished higher than us in the final poll.

Minimal changes needed. The offensive line showed improvement so I am OK with Patton staying another season. Have Norvell call the plays and Josh focus on coaching the QBs. Fire Kittle and/or Kish (whichever one is responsible for the LBs. I can never remember which).

Hit the recruiting trail hard. We'll be conference champs again.