Millard

Posted 685 day(s) ago 2189 Views 52 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Millard

We all know he doesn't get enough touches. Should he move positions? Is he tall enough to be a tight end? We seem to have a shortage there. He's in the 250 range and can run--linebacker? It seems with all the rbs and wrs we've got and the new ones that are coming in that he's going to be wasted at fb--what are the chances he moves--at least lines up at tight end occasionally?

listen he averages like 6 yards a pop. He needs 50 percent of the carries imo. It would open up our running game like no other. He doesnt need many blocks to make yardage and even when hes hit 1-2 yard gains turn into 3-4 yarders. Hes one of our best offensive weapons and we dont use him. Next season if hes not getting the ball 10 times a game our football staff is finished.
    2 users like MOJO_ERASER's post: DirtycashDylan, Peach Fuzz

with all of his skills and his size and hands, he will be a tight end at the next level.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Jake

One thing to remember is that, no matter how well he has performed right now, the future isn't known. Much like when a PG plays 20 minutes off the bench and is a valuable piece to a team(say like JJ Barrera) you never know how they might perform in a different role. I'm not saying that millard isn't talented or doesn't have the ability to do so but we don't know what a 20-25 carry Millard would be like. RB ---> LB? George Cumby comes to mind.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    with all of his skills and his size and hands, he will be a tight end at the next level.
    He's listed at 6'2" I think. Is that big enough for an NFL tight end? I thought those guys were in the 6'4"+ range? I just want the guy on the field more, and tight end and linebacker are areas we seem to be woefully understaffed in. He has the body type for both of those positions at the college level--and possibly beyond.

Originally Posted by MOJO_ERASER View Post
    listen he averages like 6 yards a pop. He needs 50 percent of the carries imo. It would open up our running game like no other. He doesnt need many blocks to make yardage and even when hes hit 1-2 yard gains turn into 3-4 yarders. Hes one of our best offensive weapons and we dont use him. Next season if hes not getting the ball 10 times a game our football staff is finished.
    Cale keeps getting the rb he wants. We're going to have 5 or 6 backs on campus that fit our scheme better--Millard won't get 10 touches a game at fb.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    He's listed at 6'2" I think. Is that big enough for an NFL tight end? I thought those guys were in the 6'4"+ range? I just want the guy on the field more, and tight end and linebacker are areas we seem to be woefully understaffed in. He has the body type for both of those positions at the college level--and possibly beyond.
    aaron hernandez of the patriots is listed at 6'1".

He needs 10 touches a game where ever he lines up

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    One thing to remember is that, no matter how well he has performed right now, the future isn't known. Much like when a PG plays 20 minutes off the bench and is a valuable piece to a team(say like JJ Barrera) you never know how they might perform in a different role. I'm not saying that millard isn't talented or doesn't have the ability to do so but we don't know what a 20-25 carry Millard would be like. RB ---> LB? George Cumby comes to mind.
    James Harden comes to mind.

Can he coach??
    The following users like this post: OkieforOU

Millard

Would be fantastic at TE. A little surprised we didn't move him this year. A chance to be more productive and stay on field.

Originally Posted by Sooner Jake View Post
    Would be fantastic at TE. A little surprised we didn't move him this year. A chance to be more productive and stay on field.
    he lined up there some, mainly to block.

At TE he will get zero touches.
    2 users like Soonerside's post: AmericanMuscle, Yungpoisna

Millard

Originally Posted by Soonerside View Post
    At TE he will get zero touches.
    If we have a qb run game, I would expect the te to get a bit more usage.
    The following users like this post: Yungpoisna

I couldn't help thinking while watching Bama'. What would Millard and DD Williams do behind a line like that?

Millard

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    There are some guys that size but is Millard really 6'2"? Most teams are looking for the Gresham type guy but in the right system it can work (see NE).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Millard

Ill be very surprised if he is picked up as an NFL TE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It doesn't much matter how he "projects"...Someone will take him based on a particular role they see him able to play in their offense. He has an incredibly diverse and quality skill-set and because of that, he'll get drafted somewhere between the late 3rd and mid 5th on a team that has a use for the flexibility he provides. What he plays will depend on what team he plays for.

James Guest
    Don't move him to TE, he'll end up on the offensive line

well, if he becomes a converted center at least he'll touch the ball every snap...
    The following users like this post: Yungpoisna

DT buddy

He doesnt' have the skill set to play TE at the next level other than being brought in to block a little. He is going to be a RB/FB. His strength is running the ball, blocking and catching those little flare outs/screens out of the backfield. He isn't quick enough to stretch the field, his hands are average at best on the deeper balls, and he struggles at times to get his head turned around on the shorter routes.

Millard

Originally Posted by Muno View Post
    He doesnt' have the skill set to play TE at the next level other than being brought in to block a little. He is going to be a RB/FB. His strength is running the ball, blocking and catching those little flare outs/screens out of the backfield. He isn't quick enough to stretch the field, his hands are average at best on the deeper balls, and he struggles at times to get his head turned around on the shorter routes.
    Sounds like a linebacker.

I think he chose us over Mizzou because they wanted to play him a backer? Not sure, but I think I read that somewhere.

I'm not sure why you would move someone as electric as Millard to LB. I'm surprised they haven't utilized his skill set more ... well I guess I'm not that surprised. James Hanna didn't do much until he was a senior. I would like to see a bit of the 2010 diamond package back with Bell, Millard, Finch/Clay, Williams.

Millard

Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    I'm not sure why you would move someone as electric as Millard to LB. I'm surprised they haven't utilized his skill set more ... well I guess I'm not that surprised. James Hanna didn't do much until he was a senior. I would like to see a bit of the 2010 diamond package back with Bell, Millard, Finch/Clay, Williams.
    You answered your question in your post.

Originally Posted by swpillman View Post
    I couldn't help thinking while watching Bama'. What would Millard and DD Williams do behind a line like that?
    Clay is a much better back than DD. Quicker through the hole and has better speed.

Clay maybe quicker to the hole, but idk about being faster than DD straight line speed. They are both very hesitant deciding when to explode through said hole. Millard on the other hand will try to create a hole if one is not present.

Originally Posted by zevogolf View Post
    Clay is a much better back than DD. Quicker through the hole and has better speed.
    Clay is shiftier, but he's in no way faster than DD

Millard should rarely leave the field. All these different packages OU runs just telegraphs to the defense our intentions. If he is going to get more touches then I would prefer he stays in to pick up any blitzers and then releases to catch a swing pass or a dump off over the middle. He is a nightmare for a safety to bring down. Heupel has to do something to force the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. Right now teams don't respect the run or our passing game over the middle.

We need more of 4 WR 1 RB package with Millard at RB. You spread the D out with the receivers and you get Millard running the ball with 5 on 5 in the box.

Millard

aaron hernandez of the patriots is listed at 6'1".
    He's more of a WR than a TE, in my opinion

Originally Posted by OkieIron View Post
    He's more of a WR than a TE, in my opinion
    a 6'1" 245lb receiver huh?

Originally Posted by zevogolf View Post
    Wut

Millard

a 6'1" 245lb receiver huh?
    Why don't you look up Calvin Johnson's measurements too, while your at it!!

megatron is a freak, hernandez is not.

Millard

Originally Posted by DirtycashDylan View Post
    We need more of 4 WR 1 RB package with Millard at RB. You spread the D out with the receivers and you get Millard running the ball with 5 on 5 in the box.
    It would be logical to believe this would work and for a program like Oklahoma it should work.

However, what we saw this year against KSU, ND, and A&M is that we can't even run the ball against a 3 man front.

Originally Posted by madillsoonerfan5353 View Post
    I think he chose us over Mizzou because they wanted to play him a backer? Not sure, but I think I read that somewhere.
    Mizzou didn't even recruit him. He would be in Columbia if they had, and I know this as fact.

For one, Mizzou doesn't even use a fullback and never have with their spread offense. Two, Millard had a back injury in high school and some thought he would never get over it.

Personally, I don't understand why we don't use him as the feature back. He is very quick thru the hole and runs with reckless abandon as well as is very nimble given his size. In an I formation attack like Alabama uses, he would be very valuable in the 4th quarter when the opposing defense is exhausted.

Having said that, he will play FB in the pros and may even be a feature back. He is as good, if not better, than Peyton Hillis and he's not a kook like Hillis. The Chiefs a few years back started a fullback as their feature back when Charles was hurt, and Millard is better than him too. He will have a long career if he can stay away from injuries.

Millard

megatron is a freak, hernandez is not.
    Whatever!!

Blake Bell to tight end.

Millard

Originally Posted by USArmySooner View Post
    Blake Bell to tight end.
    Heh heh

I'd like to see him as the starting feature back next year, with Ripkowski at FB, Bell at QB and 3 WRs.
    The following users like this post: OkieIron

Millard

Originally Posted by EufaulaSooner View Post
    I'd like to see him as the starting feature back next year, with Ripkowski at FB, Bell at QB and 3 WRs.
    Me too, he would be a beast if he got the ball more than 30 times in one season. Let him touch it 12 to 15 times a game. He would break down the D late in the game!!
    The following users like this post: EufaulaSooner

Originally Posted by USArmySooner View Post
    Blake Bell to tight end.
    If Bell doesn't win the starting QB and if anyone in a skill position were to move, I'd agree that this one might be worth looking into- as far as Millard, leave him where he is but give him many more touches.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    Mizzou didn't even recruit him. He would be in Columbia if they had, and I know this as fact.

For one, Mizzou doesn't even use a fullback and never have with their spread offense. Two, Millard had a back injury in high school and some thought he would never get over it.
    Follow link for enlightenment http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Millard-87452

Millard is a damn man. A man among boys.

Originally Posted by OkieIron View Post
    Why don't you look up Calvin Johnson's measurements too, while your at it!!
    6'5", 235, 4.35 40. Not confusing that with anything on our campus.
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Millard is the best player on the team and he's staying another year. Why the hell would Stills, Jefferson, and especially Wort declare for the draft?

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Heh heh
    Figured you would get a kick out of that.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Millard

He is our best option to remain multiple. You can line him up at FB, RB, TE, or slot (te out wide). That means we can line up in power I on one play and change to shotgun 4 wide with the same personnel. He is the key to our offense next season imo.