Pre Season Polls - Woohoo!!!!!

Posted 471 day(s) ago 4170 Views 60 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2
    vCash

That is a great place for us to start the season.

OU isn't rebuilding on offense. Landry Jones isn't a loss as OU always takes care of business at the QB position when it's not the 2005 or 2009 situation and I am looking forward to that being proven next season by the Sooners. Once again, 2013 isn't 2005 or 2009 where OU is breaking in a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an inexperienced offensive line and inexperienced receiving corps.

OU will be starting a junior QB that's been in big games when the score was tight and he will be throwing behind a very experienced offensive line and throwing to a very experienced receiving corps. I like the ranking though, this team needs a chip on their shoulder.

They really need to take OU's schedule into account though, it sets up beautifully when you factor in the well placed bye-weeks and what most the opposition loses in terms of key personnel.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: BoulderSooner, HeroOfTheDay, Peach Fuzz

OU was 9-4 in 2012?
    2 users like the-rover's post: ArmySooner, Turk

vCash

21. We no longer intimidate opponents. lol
    The following users like this post: BoomerDT

vCash

Two things:

1) I think any poll with Texas ahead of us is hilarious
    2) We didn't have four losses this year

I think they're way off on ATM though. Manziel doesn't need the greatest of offensive lines because of his incredible scrambling ability that allows time for receivers to get open. I wish ATM the worst though!

vCash

Sounds about right. Someone might hit the 1000 yd mark on our D next year...

vCash

Sent Paul Myerberg a tweet telling him to at least correct our record... shit-tastic reporting
    The following users like this post: OUCarlton

vCash

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    OU was 9-4 in 2012?
    They must think we actually lost to UTEP. Sure felt like it.

vCash

Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    Our last few season openers have been very lackluster. How we are not preapred for an inferior opponent is beyond me.

Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    and WVU and OSU

That's about where we should be ranked. Reality setting in yet guys?

vCash
    The gray place between expectations and reality.

That poll is hilarious. TCU at #13? OK. So they're going to be the trendy pick for next year I guess.

I think it makes all kinds of sense that they are 6 spots ahead of an OSU team that beat them by 3 TDs.

vCash

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    I think they're way off on ATM though. Manziel doesn't need the greatest of offensive lines because of his incredible scrambling ability that allows time for receivers to get open. I wish ATM the worst though!
    rb's and qb's are only as good as their OL...

vCash

Originally Posted by LVSOONER15 View Post
    Our last few season openers have been very lackluster. How we are not preapred for an inferior opponent is beyond me.
    Not anymore than being unprepared for the LAST!!!!

vCash

OU isn't rebuilding on offense. Landry Jones isn't a loss as OU always takes care of business at the QB position when it's not the 2005 or 2009 situation and I am looking forward to that being proven next season by the Sooners. Once again, 2013 isn't 2005 or 2009 where OU is breaking in a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an inexperienced offensive line and inexperienced receiving corps.

OU will be starting a junior QB that's been in big games when the score was tight and he will be throwing behind a very experienced offensive line and throwing to a very experienced receiving corps. I like the ranking though, this team needs a chip on their shoulder.

They really need to take OU's schedule into account though, it sets up beautifully when you factor in the well placed bye-weeks and what most the opposition loses in terms of key personnel.
    The byes will be good to help heal any banged up players but it's not like the staff will use this time to game plan for the opponents.

vCash

Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    The byes will be good to help heal any banged up players but it's not like the staff will use this time to game plan for the opponants.

vCash

I'd say the ranking is more than fair, if not spot on.

We played a legit top 10 team at the cotton bowl and got blown out.

vCash

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    what's wrong bro? Why you changin my spellin?

Below Fresno? Boise and TCU are too high.

vCash

I love it, I hope that's where we start the season. The article is right, we don't intimidate teams anymore. No one is afraid of playing OU and we will be replacing quite a bit defensively, our best OT, 2nd best WR, Landry

we have a lot to prove to not only ourselves but to the nation as to how good we really are, of course people are going to be skeptical of Oklahoma considering all the letdowns this program has had on the big stage

Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    The byes will be good to help heal any banged up players but it's not like the staff will use this time to game plan for the opponents.
    Are you saying this coaching staff doesn't know how to game plan? They know how to game plan, they just don't know how to adjust after that game plan no longer works. Adjusting is actually pretty simple, do anything but what you're currently doing since it is not working.

vCash

Oklahoma no longer intimidates opponents, so they'll need to outwork and out-scheme teams in and out of Big 12 play.
    I'll believe it when I see it.

I await the inevitable comparisons to 2000.

"We started the 2000 season ranked 20. We'll fly under the raider and sneak up on people. Yadda yadda yadda.."

This aint' 2000 brother. Stop drawing comparisons to teams past. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, don't get too excited and wait and see how good we really are.

vCash

OU isn't rebuilding on offense. Landry Jones isn't a loss.
    Thought it would be a waste of my life to keep reading.

vCash

Alabama is the most elite program in college football
    Wish this was us.

vCash

Are you saying this coaching staff doesn't know how to game plan? They know how to game plan, they just don't know how to adjust after that game plan no longer works. Adjusting is actually pretty simple, do anything but what you're currently doing since it is not working.
    This is exactly right. Would love to see more half time adjustments.

Duh ....

vCash

In some games, mainly I'm referring to some past bowl games, no it didn't seem like they had a plan. You'd think they'd never seen JM before the cotton bowl, not that I expected them to stop him but damn, the D looked totally lost. And as far as the offense, they didn't really throw any new wrinkles or anything. To me it's almost like, "were OU, this is what we do try to stop us if you can" and they do. But your right about the adjustments to. Painfully stubborn or stupid (take your pick). My point is when you have more time to prepare ie bye weeks or bowl games or 1st game of the season, this team has consistently looked unprepared.

We need a good kick in the butt.

Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    And then as several months passed into the 2013 season, you changed your mind and realized I was correct. I don't think Blake Bell will be a better passer than Landry Jones, but I do believe he will be a better QB than Landry Jones. It's along the same lines that Barry Sanders was a better runner than Emmitt Smith, but Emmitt Smith was a better running back than Barry Sanders.

vCash

Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    Bowl season is over. Mods, pls ban david.
    The following users like this post: OkieforOU

vCash

Next year's offense may turn out to be pretty good. At least they have some decent talent returning at skill positions and the possibility of a quarterback that can be a leader. But the defense is going to be worse than this year's unless Mike manages to score some real studs that can play immediately. Without a drastically improved D, we'll be doing good to go 8-4 imo.

vCash
    The gray place between expectations and reality.

Next year's offense may turn out to be pretty good. At least they have some decent talent returning at skill positions and the possibility of a quarterback that can be a leader.
    Replacing a 5th-year senior who has been a starter for 4 years is probably going to be more difficult than you think.

Uhhh, I stopped reading it with Nebbish at #10?! and texass above us?!
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

vCash

Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
    Replacing a 5th-year senior who has been a starter for 4 years is probably going to be more difficult than you think.
    this

These people that think that Bell or whoever is named the starter is going to come in and immediately be better than Landry are fooling themselves. First year starters usually struggle even following mediocre QBs, much less following record setters like Landry
    2 users like ousooner_4's post: DHF, oorah_okie

Originally Posted by ousooner_4 View Post
    this

These people that think that Bell or whoever is named the starter is going to come in and immediately be better than Landry are fooling themselves. First year starters usually struggle even following mediocre QBs, much less following record setters like Landry
    Unless they're playing against OU's defense.

vCash

Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
    Originally Posted by ousooner_4 View Post
    this

Maybe you are both correct. I'm willing to entertain that thought.

But why might Landry be a record setting QB? Because he's a 4 year starter. Because he didn't jump to the NFL. Because we can't run the ball. Because we run a LOT of offensive plays. There's a lot of factors that can skew the numbers. You can't just rely on the numbers to tell the whole story.

Originally Posted by LVSOONER15 View Post
    21. We no longer intimidate opponents. lol
    OU hasn't intimidated ANYBODY in at least 4 years.

vCash

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    OU hasn't intimidated ANYBODY in at least 4 years.
    Except Texas.
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay

vCash

Originally Posted by traxx View Post

But why might Landry be a record setting QB? Because he's a 4 year starter. Because he didn't jump to the NFL. Because we can't run the ball. Because we run a LOT of offensive plays. There's a lot of factors that can skew the numbers. You can't just rely on the numbers to tell the whole story.
    Because we've only been chucking the ball around like this for 13 years and nobody is close in number of starts?

vCash

Re: Pre Season Polls - Woohoo!!!!!

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Except Texas.
    And KU

Originally Posted by traxx View Post

Pretty spot on. Back with Bradford, we lined up in the I formation and one back set and we could run the football down other teams throats. We also get up to the line quicker than we used to, which means more offensive plays.

vCash

Good, the top 10 should be reserved for teams with balls.
    2 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: byrk75, Tug Medick

vCash

Dont drink the Kool-Aide. We shouldnt be ranked period. We need to prove that we belong. We are being ranked on name only just like the whorns. Fire away.
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick

vCash

wow, this pole is absolute dog dicks

vCash

I'm looking forward to 2014 season.

vCash

I wonder if OSU has started printing their "2013 Pre-Season USA Today Paul Myerberg Two Spots Ahead of OU" championship shirts yet.
    The following users like this post: dog-knee

vCash

And then as several months passed into the 2013 season, you changed your mind and realized I was correct. I don't think Blake Bell will be a better passer than Landry Jones, but I do believe he will be a better QB than Landry Jones. It's along the same lines that Barry Sanders was a better runner than Emmitt Smith, but Emmitt Smith was a better running back than Barry Sanders.
    Na I disagree with your assessment of QBs. But I like your style

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Bowl season is over. Mods, pls ban david.
    Yeah, what the hell is up with that?

vCash

Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I wonder if OSU has started printing their "2013 Pre-Season USA Today Paul Myerberg Two Spots Ahead of OU" championship shirts yet.
    Stupid post is stupid.

Pokes are ranked too high if you ask me.

vCash

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    Stupid post is stupid.

Pokes are ranked too high if you ask me.
    Everyone is ranked to high. Because it's 2 days after the NC game.