Pre Season Polls - Woohoo!!!!!

Posted 471 day(s) ago 4170 Views 60 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 61
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1
    ATMsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,282
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Check your six...


  2. #2
    That is a great place for us to start the season.

  3. #3
    OU isn't rebuilding on offense. Landry Jones isn't a loss as OU always takes care of business at the QB position when it's not the 2005 or 2009 situation and I am looking forward to that being proven next season by the Sooners. Once again, 2013 isn't 2005 or 2009 where OU is breaking in a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an inexperienced offensive line and inexperienced receiving corps.

    OU will be starting a junior QB that's been in big games when the score was tight and he will be throwing behind a very experienced offensive line and throwing to a very experienced receiving corps. I like the ranking though, this team needs a chip on their shoulder.

    They really need to take OU's schedule into account though, it sets up beautifully when you factor in the well placed bye-weeks and what most the opposition loses in terms of key personnel.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: BoulderSooner, HeroOfTheDay, Peach Fuzz


  4. #4
    OU was 9-4 in 2012?
    2 users like the-rover's post: ArmySooner, Turk


  5. #5
    LVSOONER15's Avatar
    Posts
    4,210
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    vCash
    5021
    Location
    Gettin it done....

    21. We no longer intimidate opponents. lol
    The following users like this post: BoomerDT


  6. #6
    IndySooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,649
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    3839
    Location
    Edmond

    Two things:

    1) I think any poll with Texas ahead of us is hilarious
    2) We didn't have four losses this year

  7. #7
    I think they're way off on ATM though. Manziel doesn't need the greatest of offensive lines because of his incredible scrambling ability that allows time for receivers to get open. I wish ATM the worst though!

  8. #8
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    3,893
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Euless, TX

    Sounds about right. Someone might hit the 1000 yd mark on our D next year...

  9. #9
    lauderdaleOU's Avatar
    Posts
    3,565
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas, TX

    Sent Paul Myerberg a tweet telling him to at least correct our record... shit-tastic reporting
    The following users like this post: OUCarlton


  10. #10
    BobbyDMusic's Avatar
    Posts
    91
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX

    Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    OU was 9-4 in 2012?
    They must think we actually lost to UTEP. Sure felt like it.

  11. #11
    LVSOONER15's Avatar
    Posts
    4,210
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    vCash
    5021
    Location
    Gettin it done....

    Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    They must think we actually lost to UTEP. Sure felt like it.
    Our last few season openers have been very lackluster. How we are not preapred for an inferior opponent is beyond me.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    They must think we actually lost to UTEP. Sure felt like it.
    and WVU and OSU

  13. #13
    That's about where we should be ranked. Reality setting in yet guys?

  14. #14
    oSuJeff97's Avatar
    Posts
    1,252
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    The gray place between expectations and reality.

    That poll is hilarious. TCU at #13? OK. So they're going to be the trendy pick for next year I guess.

    I think it makes all kinds of sense that they are 6 spots ahead of an OSU team that beat them by 3 TDs.

  15. #15
    zevogolf's Avatar
    Posts
    4,700
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Florida

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    I think they're way off on ATM though. Manziel doesn't need the greatest of offensive lines because of his incredible scrambling ability that allows time for receivers to get open. I wish ATM the worst though!
    rb's and qb's are only as good as their OL...

  16. #16
    zevogolf's Avatar
    Posts
    4,700
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Florida

    Originally Posted by LVSOONER15 View Post
    Our last few season openers have been very lackluster. How we are not preapred for an inferior opponent is beyond me.
    Not anymore than being unprepared for the LAST!!!!

  17. #17
    land burglar73507's Avatar
    Posts
    16,965
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    L Town

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    OU isn't rebuilding on offense. Landry Jones isn't a loss as OU always takes care of business at the QB position when it's not the 2005 or 2009 situation and I am looking forward to that being proven next season by the Sooners. Once again, 2013 isn't 2005 or 2009 where OU is breaking in a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an inexperienced offensive line and inexperienced receiving corps.

    OU will be starting a junior QB that's been in big games when the score was tight and he will be throwing behind a very experienced offensive line and throwing to a very experienced receiving corps. I like the ranking though, this team needs a chip on their shoulder.

    They really need to take OU's schedule into account though, it sets up beautifully when you factor in the well placed bye-weeks and what most the opposition loses in terms of key personnel.
    The byes will be good to help heal any banged up players but it's not like the staff will use this time to game plan for the opponents.

  18. #18
    OuachitaSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,383
    Join Date
    May 2011
    vCash
    4063
    Location
    Dallas Texas

    Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    The byes will be good to help heal any banged up players but it's not like the staff will use this time to game plan for the opponants.

  19. #19
    madbrad's Avatar
    Posts
    6,480
    Join Date
    May 2011
    vCash
    1300
    Location
    Dallas

    I'd say the ranking is more than fair, if not spot on.

    We played a legit top 10 team at the cotton bowl and got blown out.

  20. #20
    land burglar73507's Avatar
    Posts
    16,965
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    L Town

    Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    what's wrong bro? Why you changin my spellin?

  21. #21
    Below Fresno? Boise and TCU are too high.

  22. #22
    greensooner's Avatar
    Posts
    6,599
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Edmond

    I love it, I hope that's where we start the season. The article is right, we don't intimidate teams anymore. No one is afraid of playing OU and we will be replacing quite a bit defensively, our best OT, 2nd best WR, Landry

    we have a lot to prove to not only ourselves but to the nation as to how good we really are, of course people are going to be skeptical of Oklahoma considering all the letdowns this program has had on the big stage

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    The byes will be good to help heal any banged up players but it's not like the staff will use this time to game plan for the opponents.
    Are you saying this coaching staff doesn't know how to game plan? They know how to game plan, they just don't know how to adjust after that game plan no longer works. Adjusting is actually pretty simple, do anything but what you're currently doing since it is not working.

  24. #24
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    8,610
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Oklahoma no longer intimidates opponents, so they'll need to outwork and out-scheme teams in and out of Big 12 play.
    I'll believe it when I see it.

    I await the inevitable comparisons to 2000.

    "We started the 2000 season ranked 20. We'll fly under the raider and sneak up on people. Yadda yadda yadda.."

    This aint' 2000 brother. Stop drawing comparisons to teams past. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, don't get too excited and wait and see how good we really are.

  25. #25
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,816
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    OU isn't rebuilding on offense. Landry Jones isn't a loss.
    Thought it would be a waste of my life to keep reading.

  26. #26
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    8,610
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Alabama is the most elite program in college football
    Wish this was us.

  27. #27
    BobbyDMusic's Avatar
    Posts
    91
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Are you saying this coaching staff doesn't know how to game plan? They know how to game plan, they just don't know how to adjust after that game plan no longer works. Adjusting is actually pretty simple, do anything but what you're currently doing since it is not working.
    This is exactly right. Would love to see more half time adjustments.

    Duh ....

  28. #28
    land burglar73507's Avatar
    Posts
    16,965
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    L Town

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Are you saying this coaching staff doesn't know how to game plan? They know how to game plan, they just don't know how to adjust after that game plan no longer works. Adjusting is actually pretty simple, do anything but what you're currently doing since it is not working.
    In some games, mainly I'm referring to some past bowl games, no it didn't seem like they had a plan. You'd think they'd never seen JM before the cotton bowl, not that I expected them to stop him but damn, the D looked totally lost. And as far as the offense, they didn't really throw any new wrinkles or anything. To me it's almost like, "were OU, this is what we do try to stop us if you can" and they do. But your right about the adjustments to. Painfully stubborn or stupid (take your pick). My point is when you have more time to prepare ie bye weeks or bowl games or 1st game of the season, this team has consistently looked unprepared.

  29. #29
    We need a good kick in the butt.

  30. #30
    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    Thought it would be a waste of my life to keep reading.
    And then as several months passed into the 2013 season, you changed your mind and realized I was correct. I don't think Blake Bell will be a better passer than Landry Jones, but I do believe he will be a better QB than Landry Jones. It's along the same lines that Barry Sanders was a better runner than Emmitt Smith, but Emmitt Smith was a better running back than Barry Sanders.

  31. #31
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    20,208
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1100
    Location
    Westeros

    Pre Season Polls - Woohoo!!!!!

    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    Thought it would be a waste of my life to keep reading.
    Bowl season is over. Mods, pls ban david.
    The following users like this post: OkieforOU


  32. #32
    tcrb's Avatar
    Posts
    4,363
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Behind enemy lines

    Next year's offense may turn out to be pretty good. At least they have some decent talent returning at skill positions and the possibility of a quarterback that can be a leader. But the defense is going to be worse than this year's unless Mike manages to score some real studs that can play immediately. Without a drastically improved D, we'll be doing good to go 8-4 imo.

  33. #33
    oSuJeff97's Avatar
    Posts
    1,252
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    The gray place between expectations and reality.

    Next year's offense may turn out to be pretty good. At least they have some decent talent returning at skill positions and the possibility of a quarterback that can be a leader.
    Replacing a 5th-year senior who has been a starter for 4 years is probably going to be more difficult than you think.

  34. #34
    Uhhh, I stopped reading it with Nebbish at #10?! and texass above us?!
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

  35. #35
    ousooner_4's Avatar
    Posts
    947
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ardmore, OK

    Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
    Replacing a 5th-year senior who has been a starter for 4 years is probably going to be more difficult than you think.
    this

    These people that think that Bell or whoever is named the starter is going to come in and immediately be better than Landry are fooling themselves. First year starters usually struggle even following mediocre QBs, much less following record setters like Landry
    2 users like ousooner_4's post: DHF, oorah_okie


  36. #36
    Originally Posted by ousooner_4 View Post
    this

    These people that think that Bell or whoever is named the starter is going to come in and immediately be better than Landry are fooling themselves. First year starters usually struggle even following mediocre QBs, much less following record setters like Landry
    Unless they're playing against OU's defense.

  37. #37
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    8,610
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
    Replacing a 5th-year senior who has been a starter for 4 years is probably going to be more difficult than you think.
    Originally Posted by ousooner_4 View Post
    this

    These people that think that Bell or whoever is named the starter is going to come in and immediately be better than Landry are fooling themselves. First year starters usually struggle even following mediocre QBs, much less following record setters like Landry
    Maybe you are both correct. I'm willing to entertain that thought.

    But why might Landry be a record setting QB? Because he's a 4 year starter. Because he didn't jump to the NFL. Because we can't run the ball. Because we run a LOT of offensive plays. There's a lot of factors that can skew the numbers. You can't just rely on the numbers to tell the whole story.

  38. #38
    Originally Posted by LVSOONER15 View Post
    21. We no longer intimidate opponents. lol
    OU hasn't intimidated ANYBODY in at least 4 years.

  39. #39
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    20,208
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1100
    Location
    Westeros

    Pre Season Polls - Woohoo!!!!!

    Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    OU hasn't intimidated ANYBODY in at least 4 years.
    Except Texas.
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay


  40. #40
    Saul Good's Avatar
    Posts
    1,405
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Stuckeyville

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Maybe you are both correct. I'm willing to entertain that thought.

    But why might Landry be a record setting QB? Because he's a 4 year starter. Because he didn't jump to the NFL. Because we can't run the ball. Because we run a LOT of offensive plays. There's a lot of factors that can skew the numbers. You can't just rely on the numbers to tell the whole story.
    Because we've only been chucking the ball around like this for 13 years and nobody is close in number of starts?

  41. #41
    byrk75's Avatar
    Posts
    20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    vCash
    1270

    Re: Pre Season Polls - Woohoo!!!!!

    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Except Texas.
    And KU

  42. #42
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Maybe you are both correct. I'm willing to entertain that thought.

    But why might Landry be a record setting QB? Because he's a 4 year starter. Because he didn't jump to the NFL. Because we can't run the ball. Because we run a LOT of offensive plays. There's a lot of factors that can skew the numbers. You can't just rely on the numbers to tell the whole story.
    Pretty spot on. Back with Bradford, we lined up in the I formation and one back set and we could run the football down other teams throats. We also get up to the line quicker than we used to, which means more offensive plays.

  43. #43
    XxSuBLiMexX's Avatar
    Posts
    4,620
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Steppin' Razors

    Good, the top 10 should be reserved for teams with balls.
    2 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: byrk75, Tug Medick


  44. #44
    CNCSOONER's Avatar
    Posts
    288
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    On a plane

    Dont drink the Kool-Aide. We shouldnt be ranked period. We need to prove that we belong. We are being ranked on name only just like the whorns. Fire away.
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick


  45. #45
    Peach Fuzz's Avatar
    Posts
    322
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Public Library

    wow, this pole is absolute dog dicks

  46. #46
    OUrage's Avatar
    Posts
    7,539
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    FLORIDA

    I'm looking forward to 2014 season.

  47. #47
    Widescreen's Avatar
    Posts
    1,578
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Allen, TX

    I wonder if OSU has started printing their "2013 Pre-Season USA Today Paul Myerberg Two Spots Ahead of OU" championship shirts yet.
    The following users like this post: dog-knee


  48. #48
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,816
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    And then as several months passed into the 2013 season, you changed your mind and realized I was correct. I don't think Blake Bell will be a better passer than Landry Jones, but I do believe he will be a better QB than Landry Jones. It's along the same lines that Barry Sanders was a better runner than Emmitt Smith, but Emmitt Smith was a better running back than Barry Sanders.
    Na I disagree with your assessment of QBs. But I like your style

    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Bowl season is over. Mods, pls ban david.
    Yeah, what the hell is up with that?

  49. #49
    jdmt37's Avatar
    Posts
    6,268
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000

    Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I wonder if OSU has started printing their "2013 Pre-Season USA Today Paul Myerberg Two Spots Ahead of OU" championship shirts yet.
    Stupid post is stupid.


    Pokes are ranked too high if you ask me.

  50. #50
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,816
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    Stupid post is stupid.


    Pokes are ranked too high if you ask me.
    Everyone is ranked to high. Because it's 2 days after the NC game.

Similar Threads

  1. pre-season polls
    By ben.woods1986 in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: July 27th, 2013, 07:07 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 9th, 2013, 03:10 PM
  3. OU ranked No. 15 in season's final college football polls
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 9th, 2013, 05:20 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 4th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Tags for this Thread