One More Bama Thread

Posted 621 day(s) ago 781 Views 21 Replies

One More Bama Thread

Talked to a coach this morning. He attended one of Saban's coaching clinics. He says that Saban looks for two things in recruiting. 1) Production 2) Strength. No matter how athletic a kid is or how much potential he has, he won't recruit the kid if he's not already strong. He doesn't really try to grow kids into a position. Of course I'm sure there may be some exceptions.
    Last edited by SECsooner; January 9th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Interesting, only because we seem to take fliers every now & then. I think it worked well with a few guys, Derrick Strait comes to mind. Hell, Sam Bradford too.

It's gotten to the point now where once Alabama spots the players they want, there's not a lot of recruiting needed. It's more like 'cherry picking', not unlike Miami during the late 80's and much of the 90's.

Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    acceptions
    oversigning FTW!

Jesse Williams 600 bench press video, his spotter helps him

probably a 570 bench press, but still strong as hell

Since I'm new I can't start a thread but this is an excellent perspective on OU football, it's talent (lack thereof) and why we won't sniff a NC unless certain things change.. Feel free to start a thread with it.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...SEC%2F54-18464
    The following users like this post: SoonerAmongThePack

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    Jesse Williams 600 bench press video, his spotter helps him

probably a 570 bench press, but still strong as hell
    Please tell me that's a 1RM.

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Please tell me that's a 1RM.
    yes, he's 320 lbs, its 600, his friend helps a bit, strong dude

my bad, he has a slingshot on, which helps and you see he fails, his buddy saves him
    then again, i'm trusting someone on twitter that that is Jesse

Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    acceptions
    Lol...exceptions
    The following users like this post: BMR

Yes, they are very good! I love their fried pies!

In the same way that dogs resemble their owners, our players being recruited resemble our coaches. Lazy and indifferent...

steroids

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    steroids
    Maybe, but they must start taking them in high school because he won't recruit guys who aren't already strong in the weight room.

Makes sense, you need great lines, offense and defense, strength kicks ass, you can never be too strong

Originally Posted by StevoKinevo View Post
    Since I'm new I can't start a thread but this is an excellent perspective on OU football, it's talent (lack thereof) and why we won't sniff a NC unless certain things change.. Feel free to start a thread with it.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...SEC%2F54-18464
    Thanks for this. I've started the firestorm in a separate thread and credited you.

You cannot be too strong for your sport

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    Interesting, only because we seem to take fliers every now & then. I think it worked well with a few guys, Derrick Strait comes to mind. Hell, Sam Bradford too.

It's gotten to the point now where once Alabama spots the players they want, there's not a lot of recruiting needed. It's more like 'cherry picking', not unlike Miami during the late 80's and much of the 90's.
    Let's be completely honest. Every school that begins to cherry pick recruits tends to get busted down the line for scams involving paying players or giving them extra benefits. Bama is a great program and could win without cheating, but it's pretty evident that things go on there that are not allowed. In a league full of cheaters if anyone believes that the king of the league (Bama) isn't doing something extra to get who the recruits they are getting you are pretty naive.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Let's be completely honest. Every school that begins to cherry pick recruits tends to get busted down the line for scams involving paying players or giving them extra benefits. Bama is a great program and could win without cheating, but it's pretty evident that things go on there that are not allowed. In a league full of cheaters if anyone believes that the king of the league (Bama) isn't doing something extra to get who the recruits they are getting you are pretty naive.
    I'm just interested in their philosophy. That was my point. I was told that there are elite level guys that they have no interest in because of lack of size or strength for position. At Bama, whether you're a 3,4, or 5 star, you better be strong physically for your position
    They remind me of Nebraska in the early to mid 90's who recruited a certain prototype for each position regardless of star rating.

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    I'm just interested in their philosophy. That was my point. I was told that there are elite level guys that they have no interest in because of lack of size or strength for position. At Bama, whether you're a 3,4, or 5 star, you better be strong physically for your position
    They remind me of Nebraska in the early to mid 90's who recruited a certain prototype for each position regardless of star rating.
    Ah... this is a bit of a myth being perpetuated by guys like Colin Cowherd. The last 6 years only USC has had more 4+ star recruits. They consistently sign 60 - 70% of their class as 4+ stars guys. Bama is getting high profile guys and getting them in mass.

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    Sure I can agree here about having a blue print. The biggest problem for OU right now is on D atleast we are in the process of switching the blueprint. Some of these guys we have over there may have looked much better in BV's blitz happy exotic D. Mike's D is different.

Originally Posted by Meni View Post

You cannot be too strong for your sport
    So we are to believe 2 pot-bellied dorks sitting on a Salvation Army couch on Youtube over college S&C coaches?