Steve Davis weighs in:

Posted 644 day(s) ago 3378 Views 64 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Steve Davis weighs in:

Rod Gilmore says, 'keep it in your pants, er within the program'

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8844245

I disagree, Bob needs to hear the opinions.. Hats off to Steve.

somebody needs to speak up ... waaaaaaay too many pumpers defending him ... the program isn't being left in the dust, it's been left in the dust ... if A&M can improve that much that quickly, than Bob needs to be held accountable ...
    5 users like deadserious's post: boomermagic, OU812, SilksKS, Sooners2007, soonirvana

I still think the 27 yrs deal is a bit out of line; Bob did win one in 14 yrs and had nothing to do with the previous 13. But yeah, I'm glad these former players are starting to listen to our advice

Gilmore needs to understand that it’s being put out by players in a public form because Bob Stoops has not been entirely truthful about the state of the OU football program over things that anyone can see.
    Many fans are also frustrated by the Bob Stoops spin.

Stoops can do everyone who cares about OU football a favor by being bluntly honest about where we need improvement.
    4 users like OU48A's post: boomermagic, oorah_okie, OU812, soonirvana

Last edited by OU48A; January 14th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

I would be more impressed if a bunch of former players, perhaps in a group, set up a meeting with Stoops to discuss what they see going on with the program. While the former players speaking out gives credence to our concerns, it's not the correct way to handle this. You go up the chain of command. If they don't make an impression on Bob, they meet with Joe. Then David.
    Joe and David are smart enough to realize how serious this is coming from former players.

Steve Davis weighs in:

They would probably need to go straight to Joe cause Bob isn't meeting with any former players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilmore: Hammered by ND??? Didn't watch the same game that I saw. Tight fit going into the 4th qtr. Perception is stronger than fact.

Bummer
    2 users like PLAW's post: OrlandoSooner, tennsooner

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I disagree, Bob needs to hear the opinions.. Hats off to Steve.
    Steve Davis can say whatever he darn well pleases. He earned that right. I can't think of one person on any message board that is worthy of carrying Steve Davis' jock.

Boomer

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    They would probably need to go straight to Joe cause Bob isn't meeting with any former players.

god damn this is one smart post ... bob ain't meeting with former players and neither is joe, which is why these former players have taken to the media ... it's a bad, bad PR move by Bob and Joe ... but don't forget, Joe's resume isn't looking to awesome either ... his Capel hire was baaaaaaad news ... OU basketball is but a shell of what it was when Calvin Simpson was in Norman ... like Sampson or not, it's true ... we ****ing suck in hoops and our football program has been reduced to bush league ... and NONE of us knew it was even happening ... we're the frogs in the cold water that has been boiled over time ...

Originally Posted by PLAW View Post
    Gilmore: Hammered by ND??? Didn't watch the same game that I saw. Tight fit going into the 4th qtr. Perception is stronger than fact.

Bummer
    Yeah, 13-13 with a little over 8 minutes to go in the game pretty much constitutes it being "anybody's game". A very deceiving score.

Originally Posted by BajaOklahoma View Post
    I would be more impressed if a bunch of former players, perhaps in a group, set up a meeting with Stoops to discuss what they see going on with the program. While the former players speaking out gives credence to our concerns, it's not the correct way to handle this. You go up the chain of command. If they don't make an impression on Bob, they meet with Joe. Then David.
    Joe and David are smart enough to realize how serious this is coming from former players.
    If he ignores these players and the fans opinions a meeting wouldn't help. I'm not convinced he knows how to fix things. I think he has tried.. Time for a change..
    2 users like boomermagic's post: Maranatha, OU Sam

Originally Posted by deadserious View Post
    god damn this is one smart post ... bob ain't meeting with former players and neither is joe, which is why these former players have taken to the media ... it's a bad, bad PR move by Bob and Joe ... but don't forget, Joe's resume isn't looking to awesome either ... his Capel hire was baaaaaaad news ... OU basketball is but a shell of what it was when Calvin Simpson was in Norman ... like Sampson or not, it's true ... we ****ing suck in hoops and our football program has been reduced to bush league ... and NONE of us knew it was even happening ... we're the frogs in the cold water that has been boiled over time ...
    I have been screaming about the football team not being prepared for a couple of years now but anyway.

Steve Davis can say whatever he darn well pleases. He earned that right. I can't think of one person on any message board that is worthy of carrying Steve Davis' jock.

Boomer
    You are preaching to the choir. I totally agree..

I don't think they need to "keep it in the family". Its part of the job ... listen, learn, deal with it.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

OH... It will get to Bob. I am sure at least one of his assistants reads this board. Word flies fast.

Sometime you need a kick in the butt

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    OH... It will get to Bob. I am sure at least one of his assistants reads this board. Word flies fast.
    Well said, dick!

If you earn a paycheck, especially a 5M paycheck, then IMOP...you're open to any type of criticism. That's with any job.
    4 users like Lehmanfan's post: BajaOklahoma, boomermagic, Jason, sooner68

It's simple. If Bob doesn't like the negative publicity, fix the problem.
    4 users like Jason's post: boomermagic, lobster999, Maranatha, OU812

If Bob weren't so **** defensive and didn't make excuses for every short coming, then players wouldn't feel the need to go public with their comments. It's the only voice they have, so they are using it.

Its good to see Steve Davis give his take on the program. He's one of the nicest guys there is and he put it delicately for Stoops and co. He's basically saying we're not on the right track. If your going to listen to anybody, listen to Steve. His 2 National Championships and 33-1-1 record as a starter speaks for itself.
    2 users like Stein7495's post: BAMFSooner, boomermagic

Not gonna lean one way or the other,but some of you guys need to wake the hell up and look at reality. Who has control over anyone else's success in regards from one team to another?
    Who knows more about what the players are capable of than their own position coaches?
    How many variables are there in regards to winning a conference championship? A NC? How many of those variables are controlled by the HBC? By people on a message board?
    How easy is it to blame someone else when things don't turn out the way you want them to?
    Did anyone notice how young this team is?
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

We win @ ND next season and everybody will be lining up to suck Stoops off.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    We win @ ND next season and everybody will be lining up to suck Stoops off.
    until we get blown out in another bowl game,assuming we make a major one.

Bummer
    Score was definitely deceiving. But OU did get physically whipped. By nd and their officials.

I don't think Steve just threw some thoughtless criticism out there so ESPN would have something to talk about.
    Stoops is an average recruiter and I don't think that will change. As he is so fond of saying, it is what it is. Bob's personality is not going to change.
    Up until this point Bob and his assts have done an above avg. job of coaching. I think the combination of an average QB, Venables defense and some poor recruiting choices over the last couple of years are catching up to Bob.
    Next year looks to be a rebuilding year. OU should have done much better the last two seasons. There wasn't any reason for us to lose any of the games we lost in 2011. Back up players just didn't get it done. This year we shouldn't have lost to KSU. Mistakes cost us that game -- and porus run defense. So 2 experienced teams blew their chance for the spotlight, now we're at rebuilding.

I think its pretty clear that our recruiting and performance, especially at the O and D line, and linebackers, hasn't produced very well the last couple of years, for whatever reason.
    And while it is frustrating to see us at times get exposed like aTm this year, its also a bit encouraging to know that even with those deficiencies we were able to win a share of the big XII this year.
    This is college football. You lose players every year. You never have the same roster two years in a row. We have had great receivers and we have a great group of young receivers that will be good for a few years. Our secondary has been really good, too, imo. If we get a good o line and a good defensive front within the next two years, we could be right back in the title picture.

Other than Alabama, what team has been at the top of college football and continued their success without some down years or down games where they look outmatched? Auburn isn't even relevant right now, Texas is a joke, USC was the most dissappointing team in CFB this year.
    Keep ****ing about 10-2 seasons, I'm sure Stoops cares what we all think.

And Steve Davis can say whatever the **** he wants, just like we all can.

I know everyone likes to hate on Bob. He's an easy target. It's like blaming the President when gas prices go up. Just a part of the game. However, I really feel like there is more to be said about the lackluster talent OU seems to have now. It's definitely gone a few notches down. Watchng Alabama in the title game reminded me what OU teams from the early 00's looked like, and then re-watching the Cotton Bowl after affirmed just how far off we are.

To me it is very comparable to what has been going on in Austin for 3 years. The major difference is we do have a coach who can coach. If you want to look at the 6 losses the last two years and blame game plans, I won't argue you, but the major difference to me since 2008 is an immense drop off in talent. It's scary to think about.

Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    I know everyone likes to hate on Bob. He's an easy target. It's like blaming the President when gas prices go up. Just a part of the game. However, I really feel like there is more to be said about the lackluster talent OU seems to have now. It's definitely gone a few notches down. Watchng Alabama in the title game reminded me what OU teams from the early 00's looked like, and then re-watching the Cotton Bowl after affirmed just how far off we are.

To me it is very comparable to what has been going on in Austin for 3 years. The major difference is we do have a coach who can coach. If you want to look at the 6 losses the last two years and blame game plans, I won't argue you, but the major difference to me since 2008 is an immense drop off in talent. It's scary to think about.
    I agree but we also had dropoffs in talent in between our title game years. Look at '05. We start off the season with a loss at home to TCU. The next season we improve, and in '08 we are built back to a contender. I'd agree that currently we look really weak up front on offense and defense, but get one or two good classes in, and that can change in a hurry with the talent we have elsewhere. Lots of teams would love to be in our situation.

Agreed BUT as the head coach, he is also responsible for recruiting. I know he doesn't personally recruit every player himself but, if we're continuously losing them to other schools, then it needs to be looked into and changes made.

Steve Davis weighs in:

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    I think its pretty clear that our recruiting and performance, especially at the O and D line, and linebackers, hasn't produced very well the last couple of years, for whatever reason.
    And while it is frustrating to see us at times get exposed like aTm this year, its also a bit encouraging to know that even with those deficiencies we were able to win a share of the big XII this year.
    This is college football. You lose players every year. You never have the same roster two years in a row. We have had great receivers and we have a great group of young receivers that will be good for a few years. Our secondary has been really good, too, imo. If we get a good o line and a good defensive front within the next two years, we could be right back in the title picture.

Other than Alabama, what team has been at the top of college football and continued their success without some down years or down games where they look outmatched? Auburn isn't even relevant right now, Texas is a joke, USC was the most dissappointing team in CFB this year.
    More of a testament to how shitty the big 12 is. Did you not watch the bowls? The big 12 got RUN!

Steve Davis weighs in:

Oh and it was 10-3 wise guy

One of Steve Davis's national championship teams lost at home to Kansas 23-3. That Kansas team finished 7-5.

That same team played its bowl game against Big Ten runner-up Michigan, which was 8-1-2 coming in.

These are different times.
    The following users like this post: MoJoOkie

Was at the OB game vs Mich and should have shut them out except for an OU fumble deep in our own territory. OU's D stopped Mich cold.

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post

It makes you wonder if Bob meets with current players or just says, "Ah **** it, I'm going to Louie's. Come on Mike, I need a DD."

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    It makes you wonder if Bob meets with current players or just says, "Ah **** it, I'm going to Louie's. Come on Mike, I need a DD."
    Mike? DD?
    4 users like OuachitaSooner's post: BAMFSooner, Boognish, bushmaster06, The

If you took a poll I would wager that most fans were OK with a 10-2 season, I think most on this board predicted a couple of losses. Considering those losses came to two teams that were in the hunt for the MNC (one was in there), made those losses even more palatable to most. What got everyone up in arms was getting ass ****d by an aTm team that Stoops has historically owned and seeing the remarkable improvement in that team while our beloved Sooners slide down the shit scale.

Your statement totally ignores how the season ended and it was bad, bad, bad. Conference championships don't mean a whole lot to me, now that we have a 10 team conference, they mean even less.

Had we not shit ourselves against aTm, Davis nor any other former Sooner player would have to say anything. I for one am glad they spoke up.
    2 users like eightisgreat's post: EastSideSooners, Lehmanfan

I'm all for a inter program brawl out in the front yard if that's what it takes. The more public the better.....

More of a testament to how shitty the big 12 is. Did you not watch the bowls? The big 12 got RUN!
    shut up jack ass

The Capel hire was not bad news. Dude recruited players here that probably wouldn't have come. He just happened to have a couple of coach killers in those McD's All-Americans.

If Capel is so bad, why is he on Coach K's staff now?

All that being said, I'm loving Lon.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: Boognish, H82Lose

good job dumb ass make a point spell his name right, Kelvin...****ing tool

I agree but we also had dropoffs in talent in between our title game years. Look at '05. We start off the season with a loss at home to TCU. The next season we improve, and in '08 we are built back to a contender. I'd agree that currently we look really weak up front on offense and defense, but get one or two good classes in, and that can change in a hurry with the talent we have elsewhere. Lots of teams would love to be in our situation.
    Ya. I agree. I'm not so sure '05 was a drop in talent so much as just no veteran talent. It's definitely up front. '08 was a very special O-line, and you're not going to have one like that every year, but these last few have been miserable in comparison.

Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    Agreed BUT as the head coach, he is also responsible for recruiting. I know he doesn't personally recruit every player himself but, if we're continuously losing them to other schools, then it needs to be looked into and changes made.
    The buck does stop at the top. I can't disagree with that. Complacency is a real problem in this world. No one can hide from it.

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    The Capel hire was not bad news. Dude recruited players here that probably wouldn't have come. He just happened to have a couple of coach killers in those McD's All-Americans.

If Capel is so bad, why is he on Coach K's staff now?

All that being said, I'm loving Lon.
    I get the feeling Lon will bring some talent here....

Ya. I agree. I'm not so sure '05 was a drop in talent so much as just no veteran talent. It's definitely up front. '08 was a very special O-line, and you're not going to have one like that every year, but these last few have been miserable in comparison.
    The last 4 seasons, our O-line has had to put up with injuries. They've been good with pass protection but very mediocre at best with run blocking.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    good job dumb ass make a point spell his name right, Kelvin...****ing tool
    I got it, deadserious. I guess H82Lose didn't.

The better athlete, when in great condition in general has lower injury rates.
    We have not had enough great athletes playing in the trenches recently.
    We need to recruit better and more numbers of linemen.

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    The last 4 seasons, our O-line has had to put up with injuries. They've been good with pass protection but very mediocre at best with run blocking.
    Yeah, there have been lots of injuries.
    Also our league is very pass oriented, and we aren't going to get Bama-style linemen year in and year out. If we played smash-mouth run the ball football all the time, I think we would get beat a couple times a season by teams like OSU (see Bama vs. aTm this year). The years when we can run the ball well and be a great passing team, those are the years we compete. That starts with having a good line. Just like in the SEC or whatever, its the teams that are good enough to be balanced that get to the NC.