Your 2013 Paycheck

Posted 616 day(s) ago 1988 Views 84 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 85
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,628
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Your 2013 Paycheck

    Did you get hit hard by the expiration of the payroll tax holiday/increase in withholding?

    I did. 9% decrease in take home pay.

  2. #2
    If a 2% increase accounts for 9% then 6.4% is 30%...you must max our your 401k and pay a shitload of your healthcare for it to decrease your take home by 9%....

  3. #3
    I'm strictly commission, so I'm not sure how it's going to hit me. I'm assuming I won't feel the crunch until I pay my taxes next year for my earnings this year but been wondering about that.
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner


  4. #4
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,628
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    If a 2% increase accounts for 9% then 6.4% is 30%...you must max our your 401k and pay a shitload of your healthcare for it to decrease your take home by 9%....
    Withholding tables were adjusted as well, I think. Not just the 2%...

    After the OP, I figured out that at least some portion of that 9% occurred because my last few paychecks in 2012, I had paid in the annual max for FICA or SS or something. (I was told this off-hand; I don't have any control over that amount).
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner


  5. #5

    Your 2013 Paycheck

    About 10% here.

  6. #6

    Your 2013 Paycheck

    Almost all of my increase was social security and medicare.

  7. #7
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,628
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    The worst part is- you know this extra money we're all chipping in isn't going to fix a damn thing.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    I'm strictly commission, so I'm not sure how it's going to hit me. I'm assuming I won't feel the crunch until I pay my taxes next year for my earnings this year but been wondering about that.
    In 2013 your will pay an additional 2% payroll taxes on everything you earn up to $113,700

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Withholding tables were adjusted as well, I think. Not just the 2%...

    After the OP, I figured out that at least some portion of that 9% occurred because my last few paychecks in 2012, I had paid in the annual max for FICA or SS or something. (I was told this off-hand; I don't have any control over that amount).
    Once you hit 110,100 they stopped withholding 4.2% of your payroll taxes...

  10. #10

  11. #11
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Couple Hundred bucks a pay period. But I also upped my FSA contributions and added a few other things. This also takes into account paying SS withholdings again as well

  12. #12

    Re: Your 2013 Paycheck

    Taxes went down for me, despite a small raise. I maxed out my FSA this year in an attempt to prepare for any potential health problems my wife may have. And upped my 401k contribution by a percentage point.

    SS went up, but to be honest it had to go back up. We need to uncap the tax and that should handle our problems.

  13. #13
    Forty bucks a pay period max due to the tax holiday season ending...less than 20 bucks if you make 50k...still a ton of money when it comes from a 100 million plus workers...
    The following users like this post: Aurora


  14. #14
    Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Taxes went down for me, despite a small raise. I maxed out my FSA this year in an attempt to prepare for any potential health problems my wife may have.

    SS went up, but to be honest it had to go back up. We need to uncap the tax and that should handle our problems.
    We don't need to uncap the tax though the limit does need to be raised somewhat...

  15. #15
    melbitoast's Avatar
    Posts
    5,123
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Just north of Hell

    My raise essentially offset my tax increase. My net pay went down $8.

  16. #16
    AcousticSoup's Avatar
    Posts
    13,240
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Falls

    Your 2013 Paycheck

    We all got straight across the board raises in my department due to a great year of productivity. This isn't a part of our annual individual raises.

    We now all bring home about five or six percent less than we did last year.

    I LOVE WORKING HARDER FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO ENJOY IT!!!
    The following users like this post: jdmt37


  17. #17

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    We all got straight across the board raises in my department due to a great year of productivity. This isn't a part of our annual individual raises.

    We now all bring home about five or six percent less than we did last year.

    I LOVE WORKING HARDER FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO ENJOY IT!!!

    Thanks accoustic, yo da best homey
    4 users like land burglar73507's post: AcousticSoup, Clark W. Griswold, pphilfran, SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC

    Last edited by OrangeBlossom; January 15th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

  19. #19
    His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III
    SoCaliSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    7,278
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SoCal

    I don't pay into Social Security...or Medicare.

    Well...not my main job.

  20. #20
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    30,816
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    No raise and a bit more out of my check

  21. #21
    OuachitaSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,606
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas Texas

    Your 2013 Paycheck

    In before dome?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,469
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    Since PBS is banned...

    HOPE AND CHANGE!


  23. #23
    typically, most here either make a shitload or are lying. and need to read up on payroll taxes.
    2 users like SoonerinBoulder's post: OnlyOneOklahoma, suncoastsooner


  24. #24

    Re: Your 2013 Paycheck

    Originally Posted by SoonerinBoulder View Post
    typically, most here either make a shitload or are lying. and need to read up on payroll taxes.
    Probably a combination of both. Day laborers don't have time to shit up the internet all day.

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post

    Thanks accoustic, yo da best homey
    Orange, why does this show to be edited? It shouldn't have been hotlinked since I used an image post. Just wondering, not ****ing.

  26. #26
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,591
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Probably a combination of both. Day laborers don't have time to shit up the internet all day.
    how many posts have you made today Brooks Brother?

  27. #27

    Re: Your 2013 Paycheck

    Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    how many posts have you made today Brooks Brother?
    A handful. Waiting on feedback from a customer sucks.

  28. #28
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,591
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    A handful. Waiting on feedback from a customer sucks.
    You are funny.

  29. #29
    QRISooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,812
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Granbury, Texas

    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Did you get hit hard by the expiration of the payroll tax holiday/increase in withholding?

    I did. 9% decrease in take home pay.
    It didn't affect me at all. My wife and I are independent contractors and we are incorporated. The Corp pays us a salary.....We never took the 2% payroll tax cut in the first place, so we don't have to give it back.

    Yes, we gave extra money to the government...............I'm sure it bought some nice cell phones.....

  30. #30
    The only change in my first pay check was the increase in FICA/SS back to 6.2%. No one really should have seen their payroll taxes change. The IRS sent out revised tables after the fiscal cliff deal. Unless you make more than $400,000 your payroll taxes should be unchanged.

  31. #31

    Re: Your 2013 Paycheck

    Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    You are funny.
    Why's that?

  32. #32
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,591
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Why's that?
    Just your ironic nature I guess.

    I love to see 24 year old entry level professionals that overdress call people mouth breathers for their internet posting, by posting on the internet.

  33. #33
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,469
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    In all fairness, where the hell else is a 24 year old supposed to be besides entry level?

  34. #34
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,591
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    In all fairness, where the hell else is a 24 year old supposed to be besides entry level?

    HE HAS DREAMS!!!

  35. #35
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    4,531
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa

    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    In all fairness, where the hell else is a 24 year old supposed to be besides entry level?
    Balls deep in some ****es ass, drunk and avoiding starting their career, because they aren't ready to be an adult.
    The following users like this post: Saul Good


  36. #36
    Mississippi Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,411
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    East St Louis, yo

    Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Balls deep in some ****es ass, drunk and avoiding starting their career, because they aren't ready to be an adult.
    Man, I was 24 for a very long time.
    The following users like this post: Saul Good


  37. #37
    lauderdaleOU's Avatar
    Posts
    4,059
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX

    Take home pay after first pay period of the year was about $60 lighter. So I'm getting $120 less a month. My SEP contributions won't be affected, but this still blows

  38. #38
    My wife's was $106 less, I haven't received my check yet.

  39. #39
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,591
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    My wife's was $106 less, I haven't received my check yet.
    The wife and I have lost roughly the equivalent of one of our car payments a month fromour take home.

  40. #40
    nekkedJ_bird's Avatar
    Posts
    2,453
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a Shoe with sooo man children...what to do?

    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    The worst part is- you know this extra money we're all chipping in isn't going to fix a damn thing.
    it isn't extra money.... it shifted sides from employer to employee
    (at least that is what i was told by a lady at work, i haven't researched it myself)

  41. #41
    While it won't make any difference to us in our daily spending, it's still a kick in the nuts and that much less ill be putting in savings each month.

  42. #42
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    30,816
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    The wife and I have lost roughly the equivalent of one of our car payments a month fromour take home.
    I hope that is a Hyundai sized payment and not a Range Rover Lease sized payment

  43. #43
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,591
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I hope that is a Hyundai sized payment and not a Range Rover Lease sized payment
    It is a highlander sized payment (somewhere in the middle )

  44. #44
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    30,816
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    While it won't make any difference to us in our daily spending, it's still a kick in the nuts and that much less ill be putting in savings each month.
    I will decrease my gift giving accordingly , however it was very small amount I am missing. More for my fella but he makes a bit more than I do.

  45. #45
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I hope that is a Hyundai sized payment and not a Range Rover Lease sized payment
    But he was told it was a "smart buy".

  46. #46
    Originally Posted by nekkedJ_bird View Post
    it isn't extra money.... it shifted sides from employer to employee
    (at least that is what i was told by a lady at work, i haven't researched it myself)
    The employer always paid the same, no increase to them...the 2% cut to employees was made up by the government so the overall funding stayed the same....

  47. #47
    don't be poor....
    3 users like SoonerArtillery's post: Aurora, jdmt37, SoCaliSooner


  48. #48
    nekkedJ_bird's Avatar
    Posts
    2,453
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a Shoe with sooo man children...what to do?

    Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    The employer always paid the same, no increase to them...the 2% cut to employees was made up by the government so the overall funding stayed the same....
    cool that really makes more sense and the person that told me is kinda an idiot

    on another note, have any of you played with your tax return? chances are, you are not going to be happy.

  49. #49

    Re: Your 2013 Paycheck

    Originally Posted by nekkedJ_bird View Post
    cool that really makes more sense and the person that told me is kinda an idiot

    on another note, have any of you played with your tax return? chances are, you are not going to be happy.
    Why? Nothing changed.

  50. #50
    nekkedJ_bird's Avatar
    Posts
    2,453
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a Shoe with sooo man children...what to do?

    Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    Why? Nothing changed.
    so far, everyone i have played with either owe more than last year or they are getting back less....and there hasn't been a change in their situation

    i haven't seen the tax liability chart for this 2012 to compare it to 2011...but i'll look into it

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Rocklahoma
    By Boomer..... in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: April 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
  2. 2013 - Best of Web
    By soonerUthenMe in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
  3. What will 2013 be like with a new QB???
    By SoonerDick in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: December 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM