Cloud Storage

Posted 645 day(s) ago 652 Views 24 Replies

Cloud Storage

Do you trust it?

Some of my most important files are pictures of my kids. When you put it in the cloud, you're just trusting someone else not to screw it up, lose it, have a security breach or have a catastrophe. As per human nature, I think I can do it better and I wanna be in control.

In this article from Paul Thurrott on his Windows Supersite, he seems to saying that he's going exclusively to the cloud. That surprised me for someone from his background to say that. I can understand using the cloud for convenience but I still feel like it would be prudent to be redundant with your files.

http://winsupersite.com/cloud/zero-d...saying-goodbye

What's yous guyses thoughts?

For stuff like pictures, non-sensitive files, etc., it's good to have as a contingency.

i save important things to multiple cloud sources as well as hard backups. can never be too cautious.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    For stuff like pictures, non-sensitive files, etc., it's good to have as a contingency.
    Actually if you have a computer it's good to have a contingency...

There is no way I will ever go EXCLUSIVELY to the cloud. I will ALWAYS have a backup or two of my own. Honestly, in this day and age if you don't have a nas, then you have no excuse if something gets lost forever.

Cloud Storage

I seriously have like 3000 pictures on my cloud. Should I not?

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    It's fine to have them on the cloud, but I would also have them somewhere on a drive in my house too...

You know why its called the cloud? Cause poof its gone. Now it just means online.

It's ultimately your call depending on how sensitive your pics are. Once pics are on the internet or in the cloud they are out of your control. That's why it surprises me how many parents have their kids pics or allow their kids to post pics on fb etc. All it takes is for some perv to right click, save picture as. One can do wonders with the picture editing software that's out there. Now the cute pic of 11 year old Caitlin in her new swimsuit is a nudie pic being passes around the internet.

But if your pics aren't sensitive or your'e not worried about them being "stolen", then at least back them up on a hard drive you have at home or on another cloud storage or two. If whatever cloud service you use has a major catastrohpe then the redundancy will save you from losing all those pics.

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    You know why its called the cloud? Cause poof its gone. Now it just means online.
    I think we all understand that.

Cloud Storage

Welp. I'm really not sure what they are, prolly equal parts shoes, dogs, and my niece. Guess I should figure out some kind of backup plan - they are probably mostly on my laptop, but I'm not sure that they all are.

Welp. I'm really not sure what they are, prolly equal parts shoes, dogs, and my niece. Guess I should figure out some kind of backup plan - they are probably mostly on my laptop, but I'm not sure that they all are.
    I'll back-up all your topless, naked, and ass pics for you. No charge.

Unless you want to have the ability to access from any of your online devices, then I prefer just to have pictures and documents to be back up on a couple hard drives and thumb drives. I don't think your stuff is going to be compromised on most cloud services like a lot of people are saying. It's more useful for businesses to back up in case of fire/disaster.

Cloud Storage

I use Dropbox which I assume is similar. My Dropbox has the files online and on my harddrives. It syncs them all. Therefore if Dropbox disappears I still have same on harddrive. Only bad thing I see is having same files on 3 different PC/Laptops.

Originally Posted by jumperstop View Post
    Unless you want to have the ability to access from any of your online devices, then I prefer just to have pictures and documents to be back up on a couple hard drives and thumb drives. I don't think your stuff is going to be compromised on most cloud services like a lot of people are saying. It's more useful for businesses to back up in case of fire/disaster.
    This. Anything I need or don't want to lose is on my external drive and/or a stick.

Cloud Storage

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    I use Dropbox which I assume is similar. My Dropbox has the files online and on my harddrives. It syncs them all. Therefore if Dropbox disappears I still have same on harddrive. Only bad thing I see is having same files on 3 different PC/Laptops.
    What's a Dropbox?

Wait. Do I sound like an idiot?

Re: Cloud Storage

The cloud is a generic term and has many definitions. I do backup data online; mainly all of our pictures. There are many different online storage providers. I would not trust them all. Some browse your files so who knows how they view your privacy. For example, a coworker used to backup their files to Microsoft. One day he could not access his account so he called them. They told him they suspended his account due to a violation. He had a picture of his wife when she was pregnant lifting up her shirt and showing her stomach. They said basically he had **** on his account. Obviously they were going through his crap. It kind of makes you wonder.

Other companies could be gone tomorrow. Competition is high and I don't trust a lot of their business models. I personally use Amazon S3 and Glacier services. They have a solid business model and are not going away anytime soon.

Cloud Storage

What's a Dropbox?

There's an app for that. It's cloud storage, but as he said not exclusively cloud.

What's a Dropbox?

No...I didn't know what it was until 6 months ago or so. You install it on however many PCs, laptops, ipad, macs, or whatever you want. If you save a file, picture, etc, it uploads the file to their online storage server and automatically downloads the same to the other devices that it's setup on. So if I take a picture/video of the kiddos and download to my laptop, my wife's laptop downloads the same and we can also access online if we are at grandma and grandpa's houses. I liked it more than complete offsite storage because who knows when and if the service will be around.

Originally Posted by dtex View Post
    i save important things to multiple cloud sources as well as hard backups. can never be too cautious.
    I do this as well as dump stuff to discs and external drives . . . .

What's a Dropbox?

There are several options for cloud storage.

Google has the "Google Drive"
    Microsoft has their "Sky Drive"

Plus Amazon has cloud storage for members . . .

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Amazon has cloud storage for members . . .
    So if you have a vag you can't use it?
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

Cloud Storage

Cloud works, I'd keep it on an external HD too to keep redundancy

Re: Cloud Storage

If you backup to external drive, it's a good idea to not keep it located next to your computer. Someone comes to steal your crap chances are they're going to grab the drive sitting right there too.

Cloud Storage

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    No...I didn't know what it was until 6 months ago or so. You install it on however many PCs, laptops, ipad, macs, or whatever you want. If you save a file, picture, etc, it uploads the file to their online storage server and automatically downloads the same to the other devices that it's setup on. So if I take a picture/video of the kiddos and download to my laptop, my wife's laptop downloads the same and we can also access online if we are at grandma and grandpa's houses. I liked it more than complete offsite storage because who knows when and if the service will be around.
    So, I was thinking it was like D2L where my students post assignments and stuff, so that's right? But how is that different from a cloud? Or is it a cloud?

So, I was thinking it was like D2L where my students post assignments and stuff, so that's right? But how is that different from a cloud? Or is it a cloud?
    Cloud storage means storing your files with an online service. Your files live on a server somewhere in the world. Anything where stuff is stored online is considered the cloud.