Hurst impressing @ Shrine Bowl

Posted 647 day(s) ago 3539 Views 47 Replies
Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1

    Hurst impressing @ Shrine Bowl

    Oklahoma CB Demontre Hurst made an outstanding interception in individual drills, reaching over his head with one arm while at full extension on his leap and cradling the ball into his elbow before crashing to the ground and rolling right up. He looked very at home in the jam drill.
    http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/201...uad-day-one/2/

    Most of the practice was devoted to one-on-one matchups. The wide receivers and cornerbacks went against each other. Overall, the defensive backs had a quality day and did pretty well considering the drill has an advantage for the offense. The quarterback and receiver know the route that is being run without a pass rush or safety help for the corner. Despite those advantages, there were a few defensive backs who stood out with good practices.

    One of them was Oklahoma cornerback Demontre Hurst. He showed nice flexibility and change-of-directions skills to run with receivers. Hurst did a nice job of not allowing separation. On a pass to speedy wideout Chad Bumphis, Hurst timed his break well to slap the ball away from the Mississippi State product.

    On another route downfield, Hurst blanketed Middle Tennessee State receiver Anthony Amos and slapped away the ball. That happened again during the team scrimmage as Hurst broke on the ball to block the pass. Hurst definitely helped himself on Tuesday and looks like a solid mid-round pick.
    http://walterfootball.com/eastwest2013practice4.php

  2. #2
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Hurst shining does not surprise me... He never got a chance to fully showcase his lockdown skills because OU hardly plays man and jams receivers at the line... He is going to be a solid pick-up for who ever drafts him.
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay


  3. #3
    DrBrizzle's Avatar
    Posts
    619
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drilling teeth...

    Hurst impressing @ Shrine Bowl

    It's almost like whoever Hurst was guarding disappeared in our games. Hurst was out there on every play. Yet I rarely saw him or noticed him at all. He just quietly did his job every game.

  4. #4
    Mid round? Round 1 or 2.

  5. #5
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    One of the top CBs in Stoops era!

  6. #6
    XxSuBLiMexX's Avatar
    Posts
    4,624
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Steppin' Razors

    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    Hurst shining does not surprise me... He never got a chance to fully showcase his lockdown skills because OU hardly plays man and jams receivers at the line... He is going to be a solid pick-up for who ever drafts him.
    He didn't get noticed because teams were only picking on All-American super-stud Aaron Colvin.
    3 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: HeroOfTheDay, Stinger_1066, VRO405


  7. #7
    **** you^
    3 users like 85sooners's post: chewyhux, freedombird, oorah_okie


  8. #8
    Maybe he's like some players we have had lately.. Showcasing his talent in front of pro scouts but not that much into the TEAM aspect of football.

  9. #9
    XxSuBLiMexX's Avatar
    Posts
    4,624
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Steppin' Razors

    Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    **** you^
    Quite rude aren't we?

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    Hurst shining does not surprise me... He never got a chance to fully showcase his lockdown skills because OU hardly plays man and jams receivers at the line... He is going to be a solid pick-up for who ever drafts him.
    All we did was play man this season. That's part of why we couldn't stop the run against spread teams.

  11. #11
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a

    Hurst impressing @ Shrine Bowl

    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    He never got a chance to fully showcase his lockdown skills because OU hardly plays man .
    umm what?

  12. #12
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    5,038
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    He didn't get noticed because teams were only picking on All-American super-stud Aaron Colvin.
    I always felt that Hurst was the better of the two. He still got burned some but he is fundamentally solid. Well rounded with no glaring weaknesses.

    That being said, Colvin has a chance to be "an all american super-stud" if he can get more physical and improve in his ball playing skills at the end of the throw.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    He didn't get noticed because teams were only picking on All-American super-stud Aaron Colvin.
    Absolutely correct. Opponents did not throw at Hurst because it was easier to beat Colvin. Opponents attack your weakness not your strength.

  14. #14
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a

    Hurst impressing @ Shrine Bowl

    Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
    Absolutely correct. Opponents did not throw at Hurst because it was easier to beat Colvin. Opponents attack your weakness not your strength.
    Could be true. Could also be true that Colvin covered the opponents best receiver. Don't know rhough

  15. #15
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,797
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mia's hometown

    Do we ever get a report "<player> is sucking ass at the <game>. Wow he's shit"?

    Just curious

  16. #16
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    All we did was play man this season. That's part of why we couldn't stop the run against spread teams.
    We played man but played the WRs 5-10 yards off the LOS, as far as I can remember... I hardly remember ever seeing our CBs jamming the WRs at the line... Could be wrong

  17. #17
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    One of my friends, who is an SEC fan, brought it to my attention that one of the reasons that SEC teams always have good defenses is because their DBs always jam the WRs at the LOS... And he pointed out that the Big XII teams play 'prevent' defense... I've paying attention to that since then

  18. #18
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    One of my friends, who is an SEC fan, brought it to my attention that one of the reasons that SEC teams always have good defenses is because their DBs always jam the WRs at the LOS... And he pointed out that the Big XII teams play 'prevent' defense... I've paying attention to that since then
    We aren't playing a prevent. and SEC defenses are better because of this, it's because they are physical at the line and play crappier offenses

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
    Absolutely correct. Opponents did not throw at Hurst because it was easier to beat Colvin. Opponents attack your weakness not your strength.
    Hurst got lit like Christmas in the cotton bowl. Hurst and Colvin are really good CBs but everyone gets thrown on sometimes

  20. #20
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    We aren't playing a prevent. and SEC defenses are better because of this, it's because they are physical at the line and play crappier offenses
    Prevent was his way of being sarcastic, meaning our DBs play so far off the WRs... As far as their offenses being crappy, I agree! But it doesn't matter because they still manage to win the big one...

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Do we ever get a report "<player> is sucking ass at the <game>. Wow he's shit"?

    Just curious
    Not WE, but you should read the Monday report on Klein. It was so bad they suggested he change positions.

    From the Walterfootball: "The player who may have hurt himself the most was Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein. He had a horrific day and did not look anything like an NFL quarterback. To start off the seven-on-seven scrimmage session, Klein dropped back to pass and held onto the ball for ages - far longer than a typical quarterback could in the NFL. Klein telegraphed a ball downfield along the sideline and it was easily intercepted by North Carolina State safety Earl Wolff.

    The very next play saw Wolff break on the ball and slap away a slant pass from Klein to Florida State wide receiver Rodney Smith. In the 11-on-11 scrimmage, Wolff intercepted Klein again on a late throw to the sideline. In a real game, Klein would've been sacked as he held onto the ball way too long again. Defensive linemen ran by Klein while he held onto the ball in the no tackling practice. A few plays later, Klein bounced a short pass into his receiver.

    Klein did hit on a long completion down the field. The ball was thrown deep and just got over the leaping hand of a safety. The big Seminole Smith (6-6, 219) laid out to make a diving catch in the front of the end zone.

    Overall, Klein really struggled in the first day. His throwing motion and footwork need a lot of improvement. It looks like he is shot-putting his throws. Klein doesn't have a strong arm. He is a project quarterback at best and maybe should move to another position. "

    "

  22. #22
    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    We played man but played the WRs 5-10 yards off the LOS, as far as I can remember... I hardly remember ever seeing our CBs jamming the WRs at the line... Could be wrong
    It's because we're playing against spread teams. You can't press the WRs when your safeties are in man and you have no help over the top.

    SEC defenses play agains 1, 2, or 3 WRs at a time. You can run a man cover 2 press when you don't have to account for 4 or 5 receivers at a time. You can chuck the guy off his route and direct him toward your safety help.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic


  23. #23
    Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Not WE, but you should read the Monday report on Klein. It was so bad they suggested he change positions.

    From the Walterfootball: "The player who may have hurt himself the most was Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein. He had a horrific day and did not look anything like an NFL quarterback. To start off the seven-on-seven scrimmage session, Klein dropped back to pass and held onto the ball for ages - far longer than a typical quarterback could in the NFL. Klein telegraphed a ball downfield along the sideline and it was easily intercepted by North Carolina State safety Earl Wolff.

    The very next play saw Wolff break on the ball and slap away a slant pass from Klein to Florida State wide receiver Rodney Smith. In the 11-on-11 scrimmage, Wolff intercepted Klein again on a late throw to the sideline. In a real game, Klein would've been sacked as he held onto the ball way too long again. Defensive linemen ran by Klein while he held onto the ball in the no tackling practice. A few plays later, Klein bounced a short pass into his receiver.

    Klein did hit on a long completion down the field. The ball was thrown deep and just got over the leaping hand of a safety. The big Seminole Smith (6-6, 219) laid out to make a diving catch in the front of the end zone.

    Overall, Klein really struggled in the first day. His throwing motion and footwork need a lot of improvement. It looks like he is shot-putting his throws. Klein doesn't have a strong arm. He is a project quarterback at best and maybe should move to another position. "

    "
    I said this while watching the Fiesta Bowl. Klein has the arm-strength of a middle school girl, and a throwing motion that makes Tebow's look fast.

  24. #24
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,797
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mia's hometown

    Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Not WE, but you should read the Monday report on Klein. It was so bad they suggested he change positions.

    From the Walterfootball: "The player who may have hurt himself the most was Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein. He had a horrific day and did not look anything like an NFL quarterback. To start off the seven-on-seven scrimmage session, Klein dropped back to pass and held onto the ball for ages - far longer than a typical quarterback could in the NFL. Klein telegraphed a ball downfield along the sideline and it was easily intercepted by North Carolina State safety Earl Wolff.

    The very next play saw Wolff break on the ball and slap away a slant pass from Klein to Florida State wide receiver Rodney Smith. In the 11-on-11 scrimmage, Wolff intercepted Klein again on a late throw to the sideline. In a real game, Klein would've been sacked as he held onto the ball way too long again. Defensive linemen ran by Klein while he held onto the ball in the no tackling practice. A few plays later, Klein bounced a short pass into his receiver.

    Klein did hit on a long completion down the field. The ball was thrown deep and just got over the leaping hand of a safety. The big Seminole Smith (6-6, 219) laid out to make a diving catch in the front of the end zone.

    Overall, Klein really struggled in the first day. His throwing motion and footwork need a lot of improvement. It looks like he is shot-putting his throws. Klein doesn't have a strong arm. He is a project quarterback at best and maybe should move to another position. "

    "
    LOL I'd say that's close enough

  25. #25
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    It's because we're playing against spread teams. You can't press the WRs when your safeties are in man and you have no help over the top.

    SEC defenses play agains 1, 2, or 3 WRs at a time. You can run a man cover 2 press when you don't have to account for 4 or 5 receivers at a time. You can chuck the guy off his route and direct him toward your safety help.
    You bring up very good points Baker... But let me ask you this, why do these spread teams always get 'shut down' by SEC teams in the NCGs? (OU '09, TX '10 and Oregon '11). These spread teams scored an avg of 18ppg, while the crappy offenses that Bounce referred to scored an avg of 27ppg

  26. #26
    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    You bring up very good points Baker... But let me ask you this, why do these spread teams always get 'shut down' by SEC teams in the NCGs? (OU '09, TX '10 and Oregon '11)
    It's always easier to stop an offense with a month to prepare. Plus the time off has a chance to get the offense out of rhythm.
    OU and UO, who were considered not good defensively pretty much shut down UF and AU's high-scoring attacks in those games.
    2 users like Jbaker's post: plk1214, VRO405


  27. #27
    Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    It's because we're playing against spread teams. You can't press the WRs when your safeties are in man and you have no help over the top.

    SEC defenses play agains 1, 2, or 3 WRs at a time. You can run a man cover 2 press when you don't have to account for 4 or 5 receivers at a time. You can chuck the guy off his route and direct him toward your safety help.
    You can't press the WRs when your safeties are in man and you have no help over the top.

    Correct.

  28. #28
    Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    I said this while watching the Fiesta Bowl. Klein has the arm-strength of a middle school girl, and a throwing motion that makes Tebow's look fast.
    I think Klein is really left handed but throws with his right. God Dammit I don't know how we lost to those guys.

  29. #29
    Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    I think Klein is really left handed but throws with his right. God Dammit I don't know how we lost to those guys.
    I do Nx I'd prefer not to rehash it.

  30. #30
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,120
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    Could be true. Could also be true that Colvin covered the opponents best receiver. Don't know rhough
    Neither Colvin nor Hurst had any choice in who they covered. One was assigned to the left side, and the other to the right. They did not switch sides based on which receiver lined up where. Most likely the opposing team's offensive coordinator tried to line up his best receiver against Colvin as often as possible, except when Gabe Lynn was on the field. Then it was a no brainer.
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay


  31. #31
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,120
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by mazeppa pompazoidi View Post
    I do Nx I'd prefer not to rehash it.
    Welcome to the board, G-Ailard S-Artain.

  32. #32
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Neither Colvin nor Hurst had any choice in who they covered. One was assigned to the left side, and the other to the right. They did not switch sides based on which receiver lined up where. Most likely the opposing team's offensive coordinator tried to line up his best receiver against Colvin as often as possible, except when Gabe Lynn was on the field. Then it was a no brainer.
    well yeah exactly my point....thanks

  33. #33
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    5,038
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    well yeah exactly my point....thanks
    That's weak. Your point was that Colvin was assinged to the best receiver because he was the best corner. Stinger's point was that the best receiver was assigned to Colvin because he was the more vulnerable corner.

    More than likely, the opposing offenses lined up receivers the way they had practiced those plays all season long.
    2 users like Yuck Fu's post: HeroOfTheDay, Stinger_1066


  34. #34
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    That's weak. Your point was that Colvin was assinged to the best receiver because he was the best corner. Stinger's point was that the best receiver was assigned to Colvin because he was the more vulnerable corner.

    More than likely, the opposing offenses lined up receivers the way they had practiced those plays all season long.
    no, my point was that maybe colvin covered the other teams receiver more than Hurts. Whether that was b/c the other team thought he was more vulnerable or b/c like you said, thats how the opponenet practices those plays.

  35. #35
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,120
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    no, my point was that maybe colvin covered the other teams receiver more than Hurts. Whether that was b/c the other team thought he was more vulnerable or b/c like you said, thats how the opponenet practices those plays.
    You're wrong and Yuck Fu is right. Go back and look at post #14. Its all about context. SoonerSpock made the point that the opponents attacked the weaker corner. You offered up the alternative that maybe our defense was designed so that Colvin would cover the better receiver.

  36. #36
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    You offered up the alternative that maybe our defense was designed so that Colvin would cover the better receiver.
    no

  37. #37

  38. #38
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,797
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mia's hometown

    Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    I think Klein is really left handed but throws with his right. God Dammit I don't know how we lost to those guys.
    We spotted them 14 points (although Stoops will argue 17)

  39. #39
    on cbssports channel Jamarcus McFarland in his second all star game, number 98, i believe on the stripes team

  40. #40
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Welcome to the board, G-Ailard S-Artain.
    Thanks. I figured there were some old Okies like me on here.

  41. #41
    Turk's Avatar
    Posts
    6,634
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE,OK

    The way OU's lbs and d-line have played the last few seasons? I give Hurst even more props for his play.

  42. #42
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,943
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    I think was difficult for any OU DB to shine during the season when the opponents QB had time to send a text, make a phone call and then select where to throw or run the ball against our combinations of fabulous front fours and the hands of stones LBs we used.

  43. #43
    Originally Posted by mazeppa pompazoidi View Post
    Thanks. I figured there were some old Okies like me on here.
    So...now that Hee Haw didn't pan out,whats the master of late-night television up to these days? I heard he and Roy Clark-aka-the Gay Cabelero had a business venture going.

  44. #44
    Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    So...now that Hee Haw didn't pan out,whats the master of late-night television up to these days? I heard he and Roy Clark-aka-the Gay Cabelero had a business venture going.
    Didn't pan out? Dude... Gunilla, Misti, Barbi, etc.? I was rollin' for almost 20 years! No business venture with Roy, but trying to resurrect Gary Busey's career. Not going so well though

    By the way, Hurst will do well in a system with a strong front 7.

  45. #45
    All we played was man. Hurst and Colvin both got beat at times but that was because we were almost dead last in TFL and Sacks and they had to tackle too much in run support as well.

  46. #46
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,797
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mia's hometown

    I watched the game some, but kept flipping over to the Barrett-Jackson auction. How'd he do again?

  47. #47
    Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    All we played was man. Hurst and Colvin both got beat at times but that was because we were almost dead last in TFL and Sacks and they had to tackle too much in run support as well.
    This!! A little difficult to cover a WR then have an 'ah shit!' moment and have to support the running QB/RB in a split second.
    Gotta have a push from up front or, at least the ability to clog the lanes, or this league will make you pay!

  48. #48
    Turk's Avatar
    Posts
    6,634
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE,OK

    If OU had one of the following...just one this past season

    Jeremy Beal
    Frank Alexander
    Calvin Thibadeux(sp?)
    Rufus Alexander
    Clint Ingram
    Sedric Jones
    Mike Balogun
    Austin Box
    Adrian Taylor
    C.J. Ah You
    Remi Ayodele
    Corey Callens
    Martin Chase
    Roger Steffan
    Rocky Bright

    Hurst and Colvin would have been stat monsters.....

Similar Threads

  1. CFB Shrine Bowl: 3pm (Ikard,Clay) NFL Network 3pm
    By usaosooner in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: January 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM
  2. OU's Demontre Hurst to play in Shrine Game
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM
  3. Hurst to Play in East-West Shrine Game.
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM