Let's Talk Bourbon

Posted 1773 day(s) ago by OUSchitzo14384 Views 146 Replies
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    You suck.
    See....Scotch drinkers are ****s....Bourbon drinkers you can hang out with and talk too.....
    The following users like this post: Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    See....Scotch drinkers are ****s....Bourbon drinkers you can hang out with and talk too.....
    I drink Bourbon too.

Originally Posted by LeisureClub View Post
    I seem to either love it or hate it. The smoke and peat heavy variants are a little too much for me. I tend to lean away from Islay's and towards Lowland's.

Thankfully, I keep so much beer on hand(I cellar a bunch) that there's little to no space for me to be keeping more than a few bottles of spirits around.
    Bourbon is scotch perfected by 'mericans because 'merica!

I gotta recommend The Silver Dollar in Louisville if yall are ever out that way. Was in there in September. Only tried like 4 different bourbons but it's a really cool place with hundreds of them.

I'm disappointed that Jason hasn't pulled all of the scotch posts out and created a new scotch thread yet.
    The following users like this post: traxx

You know if you buy a Bourbon that's not quite up to par, it's called Sub-Bourbon.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

The following users like this post: Breadburner

I drink Bourbon too.
    You a drunk....!!

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    You a drunk....!!
    Nope. Too old for that now. The pleasure at the time is not worth the pain the next day.
    The following users like this post: Breadburner

Bought the first bottle of Midwinters Dram today. That is fantastic bourbon.
    Last edited by Bruno Gianelli; December 18th, 2015 at 12:49 PM.

Alcohol is bad for your liver. And it's a sin.

Originally Posted by KyleOU View Post
    Alcohol is bad for your liver. And it's a sin.
    Who says it's a sin?

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Who says it's a sin?
    Your mom. Told me last night
    The following users like this post: KyleOU

Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post

The stash as of today ...

And the full bar, for shits and giggles ...

These are the "after you drank it" pix, right?

Let's Talk Bourbon

Originally Posted by KyleOU View Post
    Your mom. Told me last night
    My mom is not religious so that is a lie and that for sure is a sin.

You also liked your own post and that is a sin as well.

Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post

The stash as of today ...

And the full bar, for shits and giggles ...

Good call on the wine collection. 1998 was a great year for Boone's Farm!

Nice setup.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    I can't do Laphroaig. It's just wayyyy too smoky for me.
    Copy that.

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    These are the "after you drank it" pix, right?
    I quit. They were fine last night.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

''Tis the season for the rare Buffalo Trace stuff. Anyone score a bottle of Pappy, Elmer T, Weller, or BTAC collection? I was in OKC a few weeks ago and was able to get some Weller Special Reserve and Weller Antique 107 (This is so good). I just missed out on Weller 12

I’m convinced Pappy Van Winkle of any age doesn’t exists. A unicorn. Myth. Can’t find it and I hear a lot of bootleg fake stuff on the market. I guess I’ll stick to my Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam Black. I’ll tell ya I like the Evan Williams too. It ain’t got to be expensive to be good.
    3 users like texomakid's post: BoomerSooner33, ChpThril, oucub23

Originally Posted by texomakid View Post
    I’m convinced Pappy Van Winkle of any age doesn’t exists. A unicorn. Myth. Can’t find it and I hear a lot of bootleg fake stuff on the market. I guess I’ll stick to my Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam Black. I’ll tell ya I like the Evan Williams too. It ain’t got to be expensive to be good.
    I recently picked up a store select single barrel Buffalo Trace for $25. It is amazing.
    2 users like BoomerSooner33's post: Squad, texomakid

Originally Posted by texomakid View Post
    I’m convinced Pappy Van Winkle of any age doesn’t exists. A unicorn. Myth.
    A friend's bottle of 15 and 20 say otherwise. Additionally, if you want I'll pick you up a bottle of 20 at a Georgetown liquor store I found. It's only marked for $2,000.

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    A friend's bottle of 15 and 20 say otherwise. Additionally, if you want I'll pick you up a bottle of 20 at a Georgetown liquor store I found. It's only marked for $2,000.
    I haven’t ever found a bottle yet but If they want $2000 for a bottle I guess I’ll never get to taste the stuff. I thought I’d be willing to pay out the ass for a bottle but I didn’t know it was that high. Make ole Evan Williams seem like a real bargain.

This seems like planned scarcity to drive the price up. I can't imagine tasting that bourbon and saying, "Yep. That was $2000 well spent."
    2 users like traxx's post: TehFail, texomakid

This seems like planned scarcity to drive the price up. I can't imagine tasting that bourbon and saying, "Yep. That was $2000 well spent."
    During my trip I was given a recommendation for a D.C. neighborhood burger joint that also had a small bar area. As I sat at the bar having a beer, wondering what I was going to order, I noticed they had a bottle of 15 on the shelf. Naturally I inquired about the cost of what amounts to a shot's worth (about 2 oz.)...drum roll please....$12.

Had some Knob Creek 2001 Ltd....Pretty tasty..

Bulleit Bourbon. Both the standard mash and the Rye are outstanding.
    The following users like this post: Naples_Sooner

During my trip I was given a recommendation for a D.C. neighborhood burger joint that also had a small bar area. As I sat at the bar having a beer, wondering what I was going to order, I noticed they had a bottle of 15 on the shelf. Naturally I inquired about the cost of what amounts to a shot's worth (about 2 oz.)...drum roll please....$12.
    $12 for a taste is doable though. You could at least say you've tried it and now you know if it lives up to reputation or not.
    The following users like this post: texomakid

$12 for a taste is doable though. You could at least say you've tried it and now you know if it lives up to reputation or not.
    Since I had already helped a friend polish off about a 1/4 of his 20 year and had that experience, I opted for 3 more beers instead.
    The following users like this post: traxx

I've had the 15 year. At a place in Fort Worth Texas 4 years ago. It wasn't as good as High West A Midwinter's Night Dram. Which is in my opinion the best Rye on the planet. Everything High West does is amazing.

You will? Awesome. Pick it up for me.

Your post didn't say anything about me paying for it, just says you'll pick it up, so I'm holding you to that.
    The following users like this post: Mixer!

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    You will? Awesome. Pick it up for me.

Your post didn't say anything about me paying for it, just says you'll pick it up, so I'm holding you to that.
    It's a deal, provided you understand that my post also didn't say anything about delivering you a FULL bottle, now did it??
    2 users like Crazyivan's post: Mixer!, oucub23

It's a deal, provided you understand that my post also didn't say anything about delivering you a FULL bottle, now did it??
    No, but it did say a bottle of 20, so there'll have to at least be some in it. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    No, but it did say a bottle of 20, so there'll have to at least be some in it. I'll take what I can get at this point.
    Oh, don't worry, the bottle will most definitely reference that whatever contents WERE in the bottle, consisted of 20. One empty bottle of 20, coming right up!! On a somewhat related note, I believe people actually sell empty bottles of PVW on e-bay.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Oh, don't worry, the bottle will most definitely reference that whatever contents WERE in the bottle, consisted of 20. One empty bottle of 20, coming right up!! On a somewhat related note, I believe people actually sell empty bottles of PVW on e-bay.
    They do sell them. Then the buyers load them up with Jack Daniels and scam everyone.
    2 users like BoomerSooner33's post: Crazyivan, texomakid

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post
    They do sell them. Then the buyers load them up with Jack Daniels and scam everyone.
    Jack Daniels? That's not even bourbon. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Jack Daniels? That's not even bourbon. Talk about adding insult to injury.
    Technically, Jack Daniels is a bourbon. JD is a master at marketing and doesn't want to associate itself as a bourbon. Saying that, I agree that it adds insult to injury. But seriously, My guess is the counterfeit bottles are filled with something like Makers Mark or Larceny (wheated Bourbon mashbill).

Technically, Jack Daniels is a bourbon. JD is a master at marketing and doesn't want to associate itself as a bourbon. Saying that, I agree that it adds insult to injury. But seriously, My guess is the counterfeit bottles are filled with something like Makers Mark or Larceny (wheated Bourbon mashbill).
    Actually it is not. Technically or otherwise JD is NOT Bourbon.
    The following users like this post: texomakid

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Actually it is not. Technically or otherwise JD is NOT Bourbon.
    What makes it NOT a bourbon?

From the website:
    "Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for maturing. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness."

Originally Posted by Mixer! View Post
    From the website:
    Yes, you got that off Jack Daniel's website and they don't want it to be considered a bourbon (Rightfully so, it is the most popular whiskey in the world). When you think of bourbon most people think of Kentucky. They want their own thing. I see why they do it. By legal definition it is a bourbon. A "Straight Tennessee Bourbon". Filtration has nothing to do with what is legally a bourbon. Heaven Hill Distilleries filters some of their bourbon the same way as JD.

What makes JD legally a bourbon?
    Made in the USA - Check
    No additives before the aging process - Check
    Mash-bill consisting of at least 51% corn - Check
    The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less - Check
    Aged in new charred oak barrels - Check
    Aged for at least 2 years - Check

So on a federal level...JD could slap a bourbon label on it a be completely legal. Tennessee has passed state laws to make JD a Tennessee whiskey but there is no such thing as a Tennessee whiskey at the federal level.

So my question is: is there a Federal definition of what whiskey is and can it be used to make JD stop calling their product a whiskey?

Originally Posted by Mixer! View Post
    So my question is: is there a Federal definition of what whiskey is and can it be used to make JD stop calling their product a whiskey?
    Sorry for the confusion. JD is no doubt a whiskey. But it is also a bourbon. Just because you reach the legal definition of bourbon you don’t have to put “bourbon” on your label. They are well within their rights to call themselves a “Tennessee Whiskey”. I just don’t agree with them when they say they don’t produce bourbon because by legal definition they do.

There are products pushed out by JD that would not qualify as a Bourbon (Beam and other traditional bourbon makers as well).

To clarify my earlier post. In order for it to be called bourbon you just have to age it in an oak barrel (no time limit). You do however, have to put it on your label if it is younger than 2 years.

Since we've disagreed on this, I've read up on it a little. There's a lot of argument on both sides of it and none of it seems definitive. There's no authority on it. What I've read about the differences is that bourbon is filtered after it's aged whereas Tennessee whisky is filtered before it's aged. Another thing I read is it is the filtering that's the difference. Jack Daniel's filtering through sugar maple flavors the whisky which bourbon is not supposed to be flavored.

That said, what BoomerSooner said is true; JD is all marketing. It's what a newbie orders because they don't know the difference and it's the only whisky they've ever heard of because of the massive marketing. It's like Starbucks being so well known because of the marketing. Just because it's marketed well and famous doesn't mean it's the best or even good. As far as I'm concerned, JD is serviceable if there's nothing else, Starbucks is not. JD is not bad but it's not great. Starbucks is bad because they have a habit of over roasting their beans and hence the coffee tastes burnt.
    The following users like this post: BoomerSooner33

Since we've disagreed on this, I've read up on it a little. There's a lot of argument on both sides of it and none of it seems definitive. There's no authority on it. What I've read about the differences is that bourbon is filtered after it's aged whereas Tennessee whisky is filtered before it's aged. Another thing I read is it is the filtering that's the difference. Jack Daniel's filtering through sugar maple flavors the whisky which bourbon is not supposed to be flavored.

That said, what BoomerSooner said is true; JD is all marketing. It's what a newbie orders because they don't know the difference and it's the only whisky they've ever heard of because of the massive marketing. It's like Starbucks being so well known because of the marketing. Just because it's marketed well and famous doesn't mean it's the best or even good. As far as I'm concerned, JD is serviceable if there's nothing else, Starbucks is not. JD is not bad but it's not great. Starbucks is bad because they have a habit of over roasting their beans and hence the coffee tastes burnt.
    They filter it through charcoal made of maple wood. Nothing is added to it. The charcoal filtering takes away from the whiskey.

They use what Tennessee calls the Lincoln County Process..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process

Apologize for the terrible reference but it has some good info in it.

JD's single barrel stuff is pretty decent. There are plenty of other of bourbons at the price point of regular JD and Jim Beam white label that I prefer so I tend to stay away.

They filter it through charcoal made of maple wood. Nothing is added to it. The charcoal filtering takes away from the whiskey.

They use what Tennessee calls the Lincoln County Process..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process

Apologize for the terrible reference but it has some good info in it.

JD's single barrel stuff is pretty decent. There are plenty of other of bourbons at the price point of regular JD and Jim Beam white label that I prefer so I tend to stay away.
    Yes, filtering is a subtractive process. But imagine if you had a water filter that filtered through strawberries. Do you not think this would affect the taste.

Sugar maple is where we get maple syrup. The sap from a sugar maple when heated and used as a charcoal would add flavor to anything filtered through it.