Posted 610 day(s) ago 8747 Views 77 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Recruitment '13 DT Matthew Romar Verbal

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...w-Romar-128343

6'3 268 Offers: Arkansas,Missouri,Utah,Texas Tech,Baylor, TCU
    Rivals 3 Star

Film: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1203300/highlights/10831382

He'll visit
    Last edited by usaosooner; January 28th, 2013 at 10:41 PM.

I like the offer. Another DT wouldn't hurt in case Huggins doesn't make it in.

Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    I like the offer. Another DT wouldn't hurt in case Huggins doesn't make it in.
    Is it looking like Huggins won't make it?

Like his build. Looks like he can easily add 25lbs
    The following users like this post: huntinsooner

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Is it looking like Huggins won't make it?
    It's a rumor that's been around for awhile but I'm hoping our coaches checked into the situation and made sure he had everything in order. But they did the same with Metoyer, Gardner, and Latu. I'm skeptical but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Either way, Romar looks like a good prospect that could bulk up easy and make some noise in a year or two.

Romar?

4 users like WFSooner's post: ab5sr, oucub23, OUfootball, StiffArmTrophy

He seems more powerful than his weight would lead you to expect. Perhaps he's a Jordan Wade type. However, if he's 265-270 he better be a legit 6'3".

SoonerNation @Sooner_Nation
    RT @BPrzybylo: Port Arthur Memorial coach Kenny Harrison confirms DT Matthew Romar will take #Sooners official visit this weekend
    2 users like oudidntknow84's post: nolesooner, Vodnik

is he kin to former quarterback Brent Romar?
    The following users like this post: DIB

'13 DT Matthew Romar- Offer

Great hope he has a great visit.

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    Great hope he has a great visit.
    This.

If we were to go to a 3-4 then this guy only would need to add a few pounds and he would be ideal size for a defensive end. I'm not saying we are or aren't because I have no clue just an observation.

Talked to a Coach today who is heavily recruiting Romar. He thinks that if Romar doesn't commit this weekend OU moves on. Romar just scheduled a trip to TCU the last weekend so I don't think he will commit. Cincy is back in it pretty good because of the relationship between Romar and the Coach recruiting him.

If I were betting, I would bet Romar winds up at TCU.

So the coach's attitude is "If he doesn't commit after visit, move on"?... No wonder....

Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    So the coach's attitude is "If he doesn't commit after visit, move on"?... No wonder....
    I don't think that is Jackie's attitude at all. I just think that OU thinks, with time being so short and schollys limited, that they should go to the next player in line.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Move on to who? What other DTs are we recruiting??? There's nobody left that's worth a scholarship.

'13 DT Matthew Romar- Offer

Romar is visiting this weekend

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Move on to who? What other DTs are we recruiting??? There's nobody left that's worth a scholarship.
    We do have 3 very good ones coming in. That would bring us to 8, which is the preferred number.

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    First, you have absolutely no idea whether that is true or not. None. How many players have you evaluated in person? People who say shit like this drive me nuts. The 49er's best OLineman played at Idaho and the Ravens best OLineman played at Harvard. Do you think they had enough "stars" for you to think that OU should have offered them schollys? I have been following recruiting for 30 years. You will really know something about a class in 3 or 4 years.

I should have said that the player they would move on to might not be a DT. I have absolutely no idea who is on their board and who they might go to. For the record, the Coach I talked to is not at OU but is competing against OU in recruiting Romar.
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

Originally Posted by BernieMadoff View Post
    First, you have absolutely no idea whether that is true or not. None. How many players have you evaluated in person? People who say shit like this drive me nuts. The 49er's best OLineman played at Idaho and the Ravens best OLineman played at Harvard. Do you think they had enough "stars" for you to think that OU should have offered them schollys? I have been following recruiting for 30 years. You will really know something about a class in 3 or 4 years.

I should have said that the player they would move on to might not be a DT. I have absolutely no idea who is on their board and who they might go to. For the record, the Coach I talked to is not at OU but is competing against OU in recruiting Romar.
    I think what OU812 is trying to say is who else can we get on and expect a commitment from with so little time left
    Last edited by VRO405; January 25th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

At some point do you save schollys for the next class if there are better prospects a year forward?

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    At some point do you save schollys for the next class if there are better prospects a year forward?
    61, check the thoughts and rants thread for some comments about that.

If they are thinking about switching to a 3-4, Romar would be a great fit as a DE. If not he would be a DT in the 4-3 after a couple of years. Hope his visit goes good.

Originally Posted by BernieMadoff View Post

I was talking about the DT position. If we miss on romar I don't want to just grab anyone. I think we have some good DTs in this class, if they qualify. If we don't get Romar, then get the best available regardless of position. Don't grab a DT that's not OU good just bc he's a DT. We've sent out several late offers in the last few weeks at other positions, good players worthy of the offers, and been turned down so far. I was just saying I don't want us to reach on just anybody at any position.

For the record, I agree with your post regarding recruiting. I've never believed in any recruit ranking system as they're all flawed and very subjective. They're not to be totally disregarded or totally trusted. I trust good coaches evaluations in finding players. Our coaches do a great job in evaluations. Where we've been coming up short is convincing those kids to come to OU. This is a solid class it's just very disappointing at certain positions (LB,OT,TE).

Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    I think what OU812 is trying to say is who else can we get on and expect a commitment from with so little time left
    Yay for reading comprehension and non-emotional responses!
    The following users like this post: BernieMadoff

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Yay for reading comprehension and non-emotional responses!
    Very true. My apologies.
    The following users like this post: Wailer

Originally Posted by Sandman6 View Post
    He didnt commit.
    Not unexpected. He had promised TCU that he would take a visit this upcoming weekend and the kid is most definitely a man of his word.

We'll see whether his insistence on being true to his word might cost him a scholly if OU moves on.

At this point I don't think OU will pull the offer until after he visits TCU.

BOOMER! confirmed by Josh of Sooner Scoop
    5 users like usaosooner's post: andymancan20, barlowd, Cabbage_town_kid, jmizzy4ou, Vodnik

GREAT...good get

I guess Stoops had a in home with him tonight. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N510PX
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

Sweet.

Great!

Now, I'm going to think of scooby doo whenever I hear his name.

'13 DT Matthew Romar Verbal

Great job stoops troops.

Welcome aboard.

Great get...now to get outlaw and aedson

We should be done with D-lineman, now get 2 or 3 more on the O-Line.

A little light but we can fix that!

For being a gloom and doom class, 2013 is turning out to be pretty good

I can't believe a month ago we were freaking out, now we are set

Re: '13 DT Matthew Romar Verbal

Looks like he runs pretty well for 265lbs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Looking at the flightwire and it looks like we stopped in Sugarland first. Who are we looking at from Sugarland? Dominic Walker? I'd like to flip Maurice Smith! That'd be a huge surprise

Besides the two you mentioned, qaz.

UCLA LB commit from nearby Missouri City- Deon Hollins Jr. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...LlyyzyTCNIPZB4
    Maybe trying to flip him?

Also from Missouri City - OT Maurice Porter - committed to TTU
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...IK.eAbOuBIPZB4

Also can't rule out that they were going to Houston and just wanted a smaller airport, I guess. In that case, Dwayne Johnson. Uncommited. 3 star OL. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...fsoGya3xVIPZB4

Originally Posted by mushu405 View Post
    A little light but we can fix that!
    By converting him to TE

I would make him a TE or a FB. I dont know if we can get hit to 300lbs and him keep that speed. Didnt seem to take on blocks with the intent to make sure they dont want to block him again. Keep him around 265 or so and let him play FB or TE.

2 users like Onikuno's post: HeroOfTheDay, SoonerSteve1