The following users like this post: OUrage

Go ahead and close in the south end zone and you've got it!

Bob Stoops wants OU to have a better press box, but can OU afford it anytime soon?

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    As much money as the Gaylord's have given I'm surprised the pressbox hasn't already been updated. But they've sold The Oklahoman so that well is probably dry. I doubt any single donor could get them close to what a new pressbox would cost and not sure that excites a lot of smaller donors.
    They are at every home game just like always.. I don't think owning or selling the Oklahoman has any bearing on their donations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Stoops wants OU to have a better press box, but can OU afford it anytime soon?

Wow you sure do have a big deck.

looks like Texas A&M

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    They are at every home game just like always.. I don't think owning or selling the Oklahoman has any bearing on their donations.

I didn't say they suddenly hated OU. Just that I'd think no longer owning the Oklahoman might mean they're not handing out $20-$30+ million donations as freely as before. It may take someone passing and the estate directing the next substantial Gaylord donation (one big enough to do something like the journalism bldg, indoor facility, etc.)

If Bob took a pay cut for a couple years he could afford it. He has taken a break from coaching so it would be a fair trade.
    The following users like this post: S00NER14

I didn't say they suddenly hated OU. Just that I'd think no longer owning the Oklahoman might mean they're not handing out $20-$30+ million donations as freely as before. It may take someone passing and the estate directing the next substantial Gaylord donation (one big enough to do something like the journalism bldg, indoor facility, etc.)
    i have absolutely no idea on this, but i'm sure the gaylord fortune was accumulated from far more ventures than just the Oklahoman...Thats a shit newspaper anyways, hard to believe it makes much money...i'm sure they're still plenty flush

who has that pic of the shopped south end zone bowled in??

That wouldn't survive the many earthquakes Oklahoma is now know for.

The Pressbox will be started and finished within the next 3 years. something a little birdie told me
    2 users like usaosooner's post: OU48A, sooner9582

It will never happen. Apparently every contractor in Cleveland county is STILL working on his house.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

No, I get you but don't believe owning or not owning the money pit that is the Oklahoman has any bearing on their contributions.
    2 users like xunil's post: cscsooner, OU48A

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    The Pressbox will be started and finished within the next 3 years. something a little birdie told me

Good to know

Thanks

Surely you jest. When are they looking to begin work?

Did your little birdie say if this will include suites and a small stadium expansion.
    If so it sounds like the press box expansion project that Joe C. talked about in a radio interview.

How about working on the bathrooms first. Be nice to have a decent place to piss and crap without missing part of the game while you stand in line forever.
    Take some of that cash to build a new press box and hire a recruiter to complement Norvell.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Be nice to have a decent place to piss and crap without missing part of the game while you stand in line forever.
    On the north and west sides of the stadium OU needs not just new, but much larger restrooms with better access….
    Escalators for the upper decks would be a welcome addition for many.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    How about working on the bathrooms first. Be nice to have a decent place to piss and crap without missing part of the game while you stand in line forever.
    Take some of that cash to build a new press box and hire a recruiter to complement Norvell.
    Death to piss troughs! Seriously though, hope the new press box happens.

"In a shocking move, the Sooners elect not to receive the ball in the 2nd half, but to kick to the south"

OU footballl brings in more than enough money to build a new press box.

But who gives a damn if we're losing and not getting big name media people at our games anymore.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    I don't think owning or selling the Oklahoman has any bearing on their donations.

I agree
    They sold off a lot of things that were collectively worth a lot more than their newspaper.

It’s possible that OU might be able to build a structure on top of the parking garage that would give the west side more space for eating / drinking, restrooms and other amenities?

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post

Even KSU will have a nicer looking press box side.
    The new KSU structure will measure 250,000 square feet and carries a projected price tag of $75 million

Bob Stoops wants bigger, better press box
    http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/

Bob Stoops joked this season that it would be ironic if they named the Memorial Stadium press box after him, given his sometimes-icy relationship with the local media.

But with the $75 million, state-of-the-art Headington Hall athletic dormitory nearing completion, Stoops said the next facility project he’d like see done would be the revamping of the football stadium’s press box.

“It'll make it a bigger stadium,” Stoops said. “They just need to go end zone to end zone, kind of like Nebraska did.
    I think we’ve all -- our administrators want to get the dorm piece done and I know that’s something that hopefully in the future is something they’ll look at doing.”

Earlier in Stoops’ tenure, OU added an upper deck to the east side,complete with luxury suites. Stoops would like to see the west side of the stadium match it.
    You look at how great the east side is,” Stoops said. “You have to do something equal or better for you guys, more seating, more boxes.
    “A better press box.”

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Bob Stoops wants bigger, better press box
    http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/

Bob Stoops joked this season that it would be ironic if they named the Memorial Stadium press box after him, given his sometimes-icy relationship with the local media.

But with the $75 million, state-of-the-art Headington Hall athletic dormitory nearing completion, Stoops said the next facility project he’d like see done would be the revamping of the football stadium’s press box.

“It'll make it a bigger stadium,” Stoops said. “They just need to go end zone to end zone, kind of like Nebraska did.
    I think we’ve all -- our administrators want to get the dorm piece done and I know that’s something that hopefully in the future is something they’ll look at doing.”

Earlier in Stoops’ tenure, OU added an upper deck to the east side,complete with luxury suites. Stoops would like to see the west side of the stadium match it.
    You look at how great the east side is,” Stoops said. “You have to do something equal or better for you guys, more seating, more boxes.
    “A better press box.”

Bob Stoops Interior Decorator

A new press level would be cool, but they really should finish the Switzer statue first.

2 users like Nuked's post: Mississippi Sooner, Sooner 4 Life

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    looks like Texas A&M
    Looks like a tackle box... oh wait, that's what you said. Carry on...
    The following users like this post: I.M. Hipp83

Will Rogers and Wiley Post were great Oklahomans. Robert S. Kerr got more press, but Mike Monroney was an outstanding senator.

I hope OU puts an awning on top of any new press box.
    It would help hold the noise in the stadium.

So if they re-do the press box and west side, with the intention of making the west match the east, does the west side get completely torn down and built from scratch? If so, then is it really possible for this to be done in the span of one offseason? Just say that construction had begun on Nov 25, 2012 - the day after the last home game and had to be ready by Aug 31, 2013 - the first home game. That's 286 days. Is that enough time to demolish and rebuild just the west side, so that attendance is not affected?