Pre-Scouting Senior QB's - Landry Jones

Posted 607 day(s) ago by Meni12207 Views 335 Replies
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4
    Landry Jones is comparable to Matt Schuab. He is unathletic but has a solid arm yet not as good/accurate as Schuab's. career backup at best.

Christ almighty.

It is delusional to suggest Landry was a failure. It is delusional to suggest Landry was a great QB.

He has excellent size and mechanics. He has a great arm. Good release. Some amazing games. We ALL know that.

But he is far and away the most inconsistent quarterback we have had in Norman in many years. Now before I hear about Bomar and Hybl ... Bomar in 2009 was bad. Hybl in 2001 was bad. But no one approaches the play to play, drive to drive, inconsistency of Jones.

The biggest issue I had with him was there seemed to be no significant difference in his consistency from 2010 to 2012. He STILL threw insanely stupid passes to God knows who at the end of his career (see OSU INT).

I think most fans don't think he sucks, but don't think he developed into the star and leader we expected.
    3 users like Bruno Gianelli's post: Clark W. Griswold, dainbramage, drspencer

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    Couldn't be any worse than Tony Romo. LOL
    Amen to that, if you could get rid of Romo and Jerry Jones the Cowboys might once again rise to the top.

Landry is servicable. Has a chance to improve in the Pro ranks, however, IMHO it won't happen.

Landry in the right system will be good.

I think Landry will be out of the league in 3 years

I thought Landry graduated?
    The following users like this post: Fahooglegods

I think LJ goes low enough in the draft that he ends up on a fairly decent team,one that is still en-trenched in the "Pro-Style" game,maybe some place like Pittsburg or Denver,I'd hate to see him end up with the Jets,Cleveland,Jags,Dolphins,those teams fail for lack of consistancy at skill positions and all like the Rams,have no OLine.

Landry, with the right system and a good offensive coordinator, can be a good pro. You really never know. NO ONE thought Tom Brady was gonna be worth a **** when he came out of Michigan.

Play of the Day: Oklahoma QB Landry Jones hooked up with Louisiana Tech’s
    Quinton Patton on a beautiful takeoff that was thrown 53 yards in the air during the
    WR/DB 1-on-1 period
    cx

from practice report ... nice to see both LJ and Lane having a lot of success at practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGrhDuyYYBQ

Originally Posted by PowerPower View Post
    Why is that loss on Landry though? That's his point. Why not on Damian Williams? Or Aaron Colvin? Or Josh Heupel? Or the offensive or defensive line?

I get that this place is a shouting contest at heart and the only way to get your point across is through hyperbole. But why does every single loss have to be on one player? Why does everyone always have to have the simple narrative of "It's only because of that ONE player/play/call/coach that we lost this game?"

Football is still a team sport.
    It always amazes me how it always gets thrown on one player, usually the QB. In four years there were maybe 2 games that you might be able to pin on Landry, no loss last season was his fault. The bigger issue, over the past 4 years has been coaching and recruiting, let's put the blame where it belongs.

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    It always amazes me how it always gets thrown on one player, usually the QB. In four years there were maybe 2 games that you might be able to pin on Landry, no loss last season was his fault. The bigger issue, over the past 4 years has been coaching and recruiting, let's put the blame where it belongs.
    2 games? nope, more than that

2009 Nebraska, dude threw 5 interceptions and the last one was just a "**** it, I don't want the ball in my hands anymore" moment
    2010 No showed against Missouri and A&M, A&M first drive was derr derr derr here you have the ball I don't want it
    2011 OSU, derr derr derr and herp derping
    2012 KSU he had another herp derp moment (deserves blame for gifting KSU a TD, no need to run out of the pocket to the awaiting DEs)

Hell 2010 OU-Texas, we were up 28-10 and Landry tried to herp derp yet again but luckily the ball bounced back to him...the dude had a really solid career here overall but he was responsible for more than 2 losses...I understand QBs can have off games and such but he's had a couple every year where that's been the case and they were costly

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    If Landry wasn't a problem, people wouldn't be complaining about him. There are things as good completions and bad completions and more times than not, Landry opts for the bad completions that don't equate to points when the opportunity was there.

There is also the issue of there never being a Sooner QB being more afraid to get hit than Landry Jones. And let's not forget, he started getting pulled in favor of Blake Bell in 2011 because he choked in the red-zone and that wasn't due to the inability to run the ball, it was his failed decision making.
    At some point last season after watching one of the games, I was going to point out what a **** Landry is about getting hit. I thought better of it, though I do believe that was a HUGE part of his problem in the pocket, happy feet, etc. It is never a good idea for a QB to get hit unless they are built for it and seek it out (like Bell would), but Landry appeared to be overly concerned about it. He obviously hasn't gotten over it but he'll damn sure need to if he's going pro.

At some point last season after watching one of the games, I was going to point out what a **** Landry is about getting hit. I thought better of it, though I do believe that was a HUGE part of his problem in the pocket, happy feet, etc. It is never a good idea for a QB to get hit unless they are built for it and seek it out (like Bell would), but Landry appeared to be overly concerned about it. He obviously hasn't gotten over it but he'll damn sure need to if he's going pro.
    Just a guess here, but seeing what happened to Sam (twice) and it being the impetus for him to start probably plays a big role here. Especially when coupled with the likelihood that he was coached to avoid contact early on due to our resulting lack of depth at QB.

Best of luck to LJ, but I'm so ready for the next chapter to be written regarding the new OU QB. Whoever that may be.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post

2009 Nebraska, dude threw 5 interceptions and the last one was just a "**** it, I don't want the ball in my hands anymore" moment
    2010 No showed against Missouri and A&M, A&M first drive was derr derr derr here you have the ball I don't want it
    2012 KSU he had another herp derp moment (deserves blame for gifting KSU a TD, no need to run out of the pocket to the awaiting DEs)

Hell 2010 OU-Texas, we were up 28-10 and Landry tried to herp derp yet again but luckily the ball bounced back to him...the dude had a really solid career here overall but he was responsible for more than 2 losses...I understand QBs can have off games and such but he's had a couple every year where that's been the case and they were costly
    You're kind of proving the point. The whole TEAM sucked against OSU last year. Landry sucked that game. But he did not give up 37 points. Also, was it Landry's fault that Kevin Wilson TWICE called four straight running plays against A&M in goal line situations? Was it Landry's fault that Missouri opened their game up with a kick off return.

BIG PICTURE. Every football game is a collection of plays, players, and coaches. I know OU fans hate to admit when a team just might be better than us. So instead every time we lose a game it's because of that ONE boneheaded play or that ONE un-clutch player or that ONE position coach who shouldn't be coaching for OU.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

www.walterfootball.com

"Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones had a few missed opportunities in this practice. Among the good things for him was when he connected with Georgia wide receiver Tavarres King on a curl route. However, Jones also had an overthrow of a back on a short crossing route that was a gimme completion with room to run. Later, Jones had Rivera wide open running down the field, but lofted the ball too far for another poor incompletion. Jones really hasn't improved his stock this week."

Walterfootball.com actually had someone in attendance at the practice?

Interview last night with LJ http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior...oner-for-Jones

I had heard on NFLN that Landry was doing better than Mike Glennon who they thought was going to be the better QB this week.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Walterfootball.com actually had someone in attendance at the practice?

Interview last night with LJ http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior...oner-for-Jones
    they were there all week, just like the "teamdraft" guys as miamidolphinsdraft.com buffalobillsdraft.com etc.

Notes: The much-anticipated quarterback battle many expected to witness during Senior Bowl practice never panned out. While all the signal callers had their moments none wowed scouts during practice or significantly elevated their draft stock. Mike Glennon of North Carolina State looked tremendous in drills yet folded under pressure during scrimmage, something he did on game day in college. Ryan Nassib of Syracuse had his moments but struggled with his timing and accuracy throwing to new receivers. Tyler Wilson of Arkansas was very effective in the short and intermediate field but proved he does not have the arm strength to play in a vertical offense. Florida State's EJ Manuel possesses an incredible amount of physical talent and made some beautiful throws but needs to be reworked from the ground up and is just too inconsistent. Landry Jones of Oklahoma has the throwing skills to play at the next level but just as in college, he made a lot of mental errors throughout the week.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...e-7ea4dcfcae21

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post

The only two I don't fully agree with are Nebraska 09 and osu 11. Nebraska 09 the dude was redshirt freshman playing with an offensive line that was so horrid it got Bradford ****ed for the year. Put on top of that not having Gresham, that offense was inept and it wasn't all on Landry regardless how many interceptions he threw in that game.
    osu 11, The coaches straight ****ed Landry in that game. Everybody knew the best gameplan was to run the ball. Landry had NO weapons left on offense. Broyles out, Reynolds recovering from injury at Baylor, Stills hobbled. Yet we didn't change and just kept trying to throw the ball. That loss isn't all on him regardless of his mishaps in that game.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    The only two I don't fully agree with are Nebraska 09 and osu 11. Nebraska 09 the dude was redshirt freshman playing with an offensive line that was so horrid it got Bradford ****ed for the year. Put on top of that not having Gresham, that offense was inept and it wasn't all on Landry regardless how many interceptions he threw in that game.
    osu 11, The coaches straight ****ed Landry in that game. Everybody knew the best gameplan was to run the ball. Landry had NO weapons left on offense. Broyles out, Reynolds recovering from injury at Baylor, Stills hobbled. Yet we didn't change and just kept trying to throw the ball. That loss isn't all on him regardless of his mishaps in that game.
    I will agree with you on the OSU game last year, that's a valid point but the Nebraska game still stands. We lost 10-3 in a game that he threw 5 INTs in. Our defense did its part, our offense didn't. He commanded the offense and literally I remember the last INT he threw when he just heaped it up without a care in the world.

Anyways how was that offense inept when they put up 65 against A&M the week after? 35 against Kansas and 42 against KSU the 2 weeks before

Seemed like Landry became a bit more gunshy about running downfield after taking that direct shot to the jaw against FSU.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Landry will be out of the league in 2-3 years and will come back to Norman with his wife where he will hope to climb back inside the co**** of warm fuzzies and return to being the "it" couple. Whitney will try to get on the girls BB staff and he will try to heupel route and get on with the football staff while also trying to be a youth pastor at some mega church.

Rotowold has him 6th out of the 6 QBs at the Senior bowl, toss in Barkley, so he could be the 7th QB taken.

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    Rotowold has him 6th out of the 6 QBs at the Senior bowl, toss in Barkley, so he could be the 7th QB taken.
    several others thought he was co #1 at the senior bowl ..

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    several others thought he was co #1 at the senior bowl ..
    did you see the game? show me any site with him at co #1, now after the game

here http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2013/01/26...e-senior-bowl/

did you see the game? show me any site with him at co #1, now after the game

here http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2013/01/26...e-senior-bowl/
    Why are you so defensive and antagonistic? It is your delivery that causes people to argue with you more so than the actual content of your posts.
    2 users like DIB's post: oorah_okie, OrangeBlossom

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Why are you so defensive and antagonistic? It is your delivery that causes people to argue with you more so than the actual content of your posts.
    I saw an absurd post, no one thinks Landry was the best QB, no one, no human.
    I asked for links. I back up my posts with links, Thanks!

I saw an absurd post, no one thinks Landry was the best QB, no one, no human.
    I asked for links. I back up my posts with links, Thanks!
    See what I mean? A rational human being doesn't respond to my question in the manner that you did. It is why most people just assume you are a troll.
    2 users like DIB's post: oorah_okie, Soonerlife

Landry didnt play well at the senior bowl. He definately hurt his draft stock. Personally i think his pro-career is gonna be very similar to Charlie Batch. I'd like to see the kid get a coach from the Belicheck mold that will help him study and work within his limits.

See what I mean? A rational human being doesn't respond to my question in the manner that you did. It is why most people just assume you are a troll.
    Rational Human? what? trolls don't start thread.

Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    Landry didnt play well at the senior bowl. He definately hurt his draft stock. Personally i think his pro-career is gonna be very similar to Charlie Batch. I'd like to see the kid get a coach from the Belicheck mold that will help him study and work within his limits.
    Charlie Batch? in what? talent level?

See, meni, this is a well thought out post that is on topic and in no way confrontational. I disagree with him. I think Landry would have to go well beyond anything he has shown to have a career anywhere close to Batch.

Rational Human? what? trolls don't start thread.
    I don't think you know what a troll is.
    4 users like DIB's post: oorah_okie, OrangeBlossom, Soonerlife, Widescreen

See, meni, this is a well thought out post that is on topic and in no way confrontational. I disagree with him. I think Landry would have to go well beyond anything he has shown to have a career anywhere close to Batch.
    Yes I asked in what way are the similar he said backups for life, I don't see Landry being the league til he's 38

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

SoonerBounce Guest
    Please take OU off of your favorite team list.

I do not post stuff that's confrontational. this is a football message board with many views on every subject bout the team. show me my posts just made to incite people
    http://www.landthieves.com/board/sea...archid=1291697
    210 threads started, please fine the one's created to start shit... zero
    I'm on topic, everything I post is on topic, if you cite replies to idiots? talk to the idiots

Height: 6'4" Weight: 220
    Pass Yds: 4,276 Pct: 66.1% TDs: 33 INTs: 11
    Despite leading all Senior Bowl QBs in yards passing, Jones finished tied for last amongst the group with just 28 explosive plays.
    PROS
    Good set-up and release
    Has good velocity on his throws
    Has physical traits of an NFL quarterback
    CONS
    Struggles with accuracy when he’s on the move
    Below average mobility
    Has a tendency to drop elbow causing ball to sail
    OVERALL
    While Landry Jones looks the part at time, his inconsistency is a real problem for me. In the same drive, he’ll deliver a ball with zip and accuracy into a tight spot down the middle of the field and then turn around and make a wildly inaccurate throw to an open receiver. Jones' quick delivery helped to keep teams from blitzing him effectively. At times, he appears to be throwing to very general areas rather than his man. When Jones lost Ryan Broyles last season, he really struggled from that point forward. Jones has the physical tools, but needs a good deal of refinement and coaching.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/ncaa/
    Original post for this thread. brilliant

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
    OFFS

The Topic is Landry Jones, stay on topic.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    Please take OU off of your favorite team list.
    Thanks for your concern SoonerBounce. Its nice to see you off topic and trying to troll me. Just for your info, i am a fan of Ryan Broyles and Adrian Peterson. Both played for OU. Both had great careers at the school. It is ok to like players from other teams. This particular thread is about Senior Bowl and Landry Jones. I offered a valid opinion on that matter. I actually watched the game. Did you?

Thanks for your concern SoonerBounce. Its nice to see you off topic and trying to troll me. Just for your info, i am a fan of Ryan Broyles and Adrian Peterson. Both played for OU. Both had great careers at the school. It is ok to like players from other teams. This particular thread is about Senior Bowl and Landry Jones. I offered a valid opinion on that matter. I actually watched the game. Did you?
    Sir you have Landry Jones being hit by a ND player, I dont think you are giving a fair and balanced opinion, its obvious you dislike the player.
    If soonerbounce is asking about your favorite teams, he can Direct Message about that, not post it on this thread
    It's funny how SoonerBounce trolls you, but your posts are being moderated

Landry has a lot more talent than most QBs, but I have never seen a QB more afraid to take a hit than Landry Jones and that fear has led to costly mistakes. From a stats standpoint and a physical attributes standpoint, if Blaine Gabbert can be drafted in the first round with a 16 TD to 9 INT ratio in his final year of college, Landry should most certainly get drafted in the first round as well.

However, Landry's Jones mental aspect is what makes him a 3rd round QB instead of a 1st round QB. And that may not be a bad thing if he gets on a good team and can learn from a solid veteran NFL QB. I just think he's always going to be an enigma of being great or being horrible depending on the series and nothing in between those two extremes.

I'm not confusing Landry with either of those guys. Believe me. We need a QB as badly as anyone and no one here is talking about LJ. He'll make a perfectly fine clipboard holder for someone.

Originally Posted by Sooner**** View Post
    The notre game is on landry because we lost by 5 and he fumbled into the endzone. The fifth yr, most experienced player on the field , fumbled into the endzone. Thats why. If that was an NFL game do you guys believe it wouldn't be blamed on him. We never did him any favors by holding his hand. The NFL analysis and fans will be worse than anything big bad sooner nation ever said about him. Or is everyone going to search the internet and continue to protect him from every criticism his entire career.
    Wasn't that KState?

Sir you have Landry Jones being hit by a ND player, I dont think you are giving a fair and balanced opinion, its obvious you dislike the player.
    If soonerbounce is asking about your favorite teams, he can Direct Message about that, not post it on this thread
    It's funny how SoonerBounce trolls you, but your posts are being moderated
    You would be correct. I am not a fan of Landry. To be honest, he blew up in the cotton bowl, he blew up at the senior bowl. If you want a fair assessment of his raw talent, i would place him better then Skelton from Arizona, equal to Ryan Mallett. A good backup who can win me a game, not good enough to take my team to the playoffs.

Landry has a lot more talent than most QBs, but I have never seen a QB more afraid to take a hit than Landry Jones and that fear has led to costly mistakes. From a stats standpoint and a physical attributes standpoint, if Blaine Gabbert can be drafted in the first round with a 16 TD to 9 INT ratio in his final year of college, Landry should most certainly get drafted in the first round as well.

However, Landry's Jones mental aspect is what makes him a 3rd round QB instead of a 1st round QB. And that may not be a bad thing if he gets on a good team and can learn from a solid veteran NFL QB. I just think he's always going to be an enigma of being great or being horrible depending on the series and nothing in between those two extremes.
    His pocket presence needs work, Pollock tweeted, Landry sees ghosts in the pocket, he's 23 years old, has never seen the NFL pass rush, I don't see his pocket presence getting better.
    also the infamous Landry being Landry moments, bad decision pass off his back foot, that's Landry.

Blaine Gabbert is a miss. Teams needed QB's and turns out the QB crop that draft, wasn't very good