Going to Disney/Universal this fall...

Posted 676 day(s) ago 494 Views 21 Replies

Going to Disney/Universal this fall...

We're planning on staying at The Hardrock when we go to Universal. Anyone have any recs on where to stay at Disney? Places to eat?

It's going to be me and my girlfriend. We're thinking 3 days at Universal and 4 at Disney. Is that too short, too long? Any advice would be appreciated. Price doesn't really matter.

Unless your girlfriend is 7... go to Las Vegas
    2 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: McRib, suncoastsooner

We stayed at Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge...which we thought was awesome. Wake up with a view overlooking the Savannah with many anipals roaming around....but we also had a 10 and 12 yr old with us.

Grand Floridian at Disney.
    The following users like this post: huntinsooner

We stayed at the Portifino. The hard rock is closer to the park, but the portifino had better restaurants. We also upgraded to the club room at the hotel and they served 3 meals a day, didn't eat there but did take beers, drinks, soda's and free water.

Also, all the restaurants at the city walk in Universal were very good, with the exception of Emeril's was disappointed for the price. Go to his other restaurant in the royal pacific hotel much better. But at Emeril's you do get his banana cream pie for free with a park ticket. The Brazilian steak house in the latin quarter was also very good.

We stayed at the Beach Club Villas at Disney. Very nice, cool pool, and not that crowded (by Disney standards). Highly recommend it.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    Did it a couple of months ago and it was sweet. It's been years since I went to Disney or Universal and she's never been and wants to go. We're both looking forward to the trip.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    That's a picture of his girlfriend's mom in his avatar.

Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    Did it a couple of months ago and it was sweet. It's been years since I went to Disney or Universal and she's never been and wants to go. We're both looking forward to the trip.
    Still didn't answer the question. Is your gf 7?

Gays or pedophiles?

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Grand Floridian at Disney.
    That's what my buddy said. Said it can get pricey but is worth it.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    That's a picture of his girlfriend's mom in his avatar.
    Addison Miller is her Playboy name known her since I was 13

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Still didn't answer the question. Is your gf 7?
    Nah, she's 22.

That's what my buddy said. Said it can get pricey but is worth it.
    Yes. Pricey, but worth it. Call it the cost for buttsex, 'cause she'll be letting you that week.

There's a book called the Unofficial guide and they have a website called touringplans.com and an app they make called Lines that cut the time we waited in lines for rides and stuff to almost nothing. I think our longest wait time was 15 minutes. It allows you to see everything you want to see and also have time to relax a bit.

For adults, Epcot is probably the best Disney park, but they are all very well done. The best dining in the parks is at Epcot, though. Disney has tried to step it's game up in that department, and I think they've been successful. However, most of the good sit down restaurants require reservations, and are often full up to 180 days in advance.

Margarita bar in Mexico, Epcot, is excellent. Also great place to watch the fireworks.

Originally Posted by pmartin50 View Post
    Margarita bar in Mexico, Epcot, is excellent. Also great place to watch the fireworks.
    Sounds like a place we'll like haha. Which place has the best fireworks? We're planning for the first week of December so they'll have all their Christmas stuff up.

I avoid the greater Orlando area like a deep rectal itch, but a friend told me about some place in Epcot where all you do is go through and sample beers from all over the world. Pretty damn sure that would be one of my first stops.

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    I avoid the greater Orlando area like a deep rectal itch, but a friend told me about some place in Epcot where all you do is go through and sample beers from all over the world. Pretty damn sure that would be one of my first stops.
    If you go around the World Showcase, you can essentially drink your way around the world. For example, Carlsberg beer at the Norway pavilion, Asahi in Japan, etc. You can do it with just beer or try just any kind of alcohol (so tequila in Mexico, chianti in Italy, sake in Japan, etc.). The thing is, it is kind of expensive, and outside of La Cava de Tequila in Mexico and Tutto Gusto in Italy, I don't think there is much in Epcot that you couldn't get at a good liquor store.

I ended up drinking something in every "country" except China and Morroco last time I went, but if you are looking for unique booze that you haven't ever had a chance to drink before its doubtful you'll find it there.
    The following users like this post: pmartin50

In Universal the watering hole in Jurassic Park has great drinks, also inside the parks go to Mythos at Universal good food and drinks and if you go to the animal kingdom go to the Yak and Yeti. Also drinking your way around Epcot is the way to go.

Another tip: At most parks, the crowds are very thin right at opening, and grow all day to a mid afternoon peak. Then people start to thin out, but that mid afternoon peak creates long lines that last until closing. So, rides like Space Mountain or Rocking Roller Coaster or Soarin' will have extremely long lines starting mid morning and lasting until closing making FastPass a must if you want to ride without a ridiculous wait. The exception to this is Animal Kingdom. It still has the light morning crowds and the afternoon peak, but most people take off once it starts to get dark because none of the animals are visible. Also, there is no evening fireworks show there, unlike the other main parks, so there is no reason to stay after dark for people with kids. Finally, a lot of people ride the raft ride called Kali River Rapids mid afternoon when its hot and get soaked and want to go home and dry off. So, if you stick around until dusk, you basically have the park to yourself. Very short lines at Expedition Everest or DINOSAUR. Also, Expedition Everest is a different experience at night because the darkness lowers the visibility.