Best dog food for best price?

Posted 623 day(s) ago 6724 Views 247 Replies
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3

Ok, I've done a lot of research lately because I'm getting a new pup. It seems that the best brands out there (or at least three of them) are Orijen, Blue Buffalo and Wellness. Now these brands can be around $50-$60 for a roughly 30 lbs bag. YIKES! That a lot of cash. However, as I've been reading, it seems that because they are made with less "fillers" like the purina and Iams brands (or most supermarket brands), your dog will actually eat less and you will spend about the same amount of money.

So I've been told that it's best to look at the first 4 ingredients in the dog food. For dry dog food, you want at least the first two to be meat. If it's only one, (and its dry food) then it's roughly 80% water! So not much actual meat. Some try and fool you with organic veggies for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ingredients, but that's no good for a dog or animal that is a meat eater. (a horse or a rabbit is a different story)

What do you guys think? There are some supermarket brands that have been deemed ok....but I don't want to break the bank either. What are your experiences and thoughts.

I also know that EVERY dog is different and there isn't one "best" dog food for every dog out there.

i feed my dogs iams natural.
    3 users like bushmaster06's post: Aurora, McRib, MoJoOkie

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    me too

My dog only eats caviar and foie gras. You must hate yours.
    4 users like DIB's post: 2121sooner, DHF, nolesooner, smot poker

You're over thinking this whole having a dog thing.
    3 users like Sir Bevedere's post: brian, jdmt37, the_Mont

I'm also a fan of iams. It's made by Eukanuba. If you do any research, you'll find that all of the brands out there are only made by a couple of manufacturers.

I feed my cats Blue Diamond(although they'd eat out of their litterbox). Best advice is to read the ingredients.

If you want your dog, or any animal really to be as healthy as they can be, you have to feed them the best food. best = expensive. it's part of owning an animal. don't make the commitment if you don't want to pay for quality nutrition.
    2 users like Wailer's post: jdmt37, Snorter Luster Jr.

Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    If you want your dog, or any animal really to be as healthy as they can be, you have to feed them the best food. best = expensive. it's part of owning an animal. don't make the commitment if you don't want to pay for quality nutrition.
    Oh shit...you're one of those? Your animal probably eats better than you do.

I have looked at that.

I got my dogs at the shelter and the Iams seems OK ... I am not going to spend more on dog food than my food .. I already spend enough at the vet

dogfoodanalysis is a really helpful website. But I want as many comments as possible. It's nice to have people who have had dogs and they done well with these brands.

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I got my dogs at the shelter and the Iams seems OK ... I am not going to spend more on dog food than my food .. I already spend enough at the vet
    Some would argue many vet bills come from a lack of nutrition. I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just seeing that this seems like a never ending debate with (some ****ing nutty) pet owners.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    Go with Purina Pro Plan.
    I have heard some interesting things regarding that as well.

Whatever you do, don't just start switching up brands. That'll screw up a puppy.

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    Some would argue many vet bills come from a lack of nutrition. I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just seeing that this seems like a never ending debate with (some ****ing nutty) pet owners.
    my dog has a skin condition it is costly, has nothing to do with food and probably everything to do with why her last owners dumped her =(

My vet says Iams is fine but prefers the Blue Buffalo and some other high dollar one. They eat natural treats I bake myself and I give them water mixed with beef broth frozen into ice cube trays ...they love that. I also make sure they exercise and don't over eat.

I found my dog in a ditch & he eats Iams. He's had a torn ACL & a broken toe in 2 years. That's not poor nutrition, he's a puppy running full speed in a country field. Sometimes doggies are just silly.

Ask your breeder what the puppy has been eating and what the mother ate while pregnant.

also a pretty neat read for some of you that might be interested

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100419202912AAjJ97y

We feed our mutt Royal Canin. I believe it is $60 for 50lbs. I know of two Vets that feed their dogs Pro Plan. We feed our previous dog Nutro Natural Choice and it gave her the shits so we switched her to RC and problem was solved.

my dog has a skin condition it is costly, has nothing to do with food and probably everything to do with why her last owners dumped her =(

My vet says Iams is fine but prefers the Blue Buffalo and some other high dollar one. They eat natural treats I bake myself and I give them water mixed with beef broth frozen into ice cube trays ...they love that. I also make sure they exercise and don't over eat.
    I'll have to try that beef broth ice cube thing. Our dog loves regular ice cubes, but she'd really dig on beef flavored. What's the ratio of water to broth you use?

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I found my dog in a ditch & he eats Iams. He's had a torn ACL & a broken toe in 2 years. That's not poor nutrition, he's a puppy running full speed in a country field.

Ask your breeder what the puppy has been eating and what the mother ate while pregnant.
    That's very good advice and I actually planned on doing that tonight. I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can be. I want to be a good owner.

A skin condition (as I have read) is actually very closely related to what a dog eats. Food can and will affect your dogs skin, allergies and coat. Something to consider. Why don't you try the blue buffalo for a month and see how your dog does. Who knows...maybe the problem will go away. I've read a lot where that has happened.

I make my Bulldogs food. That little **** has an allergy to just about everything so I have to make it myself.

do dogs like ambien?
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

TTIWWJ (This thread is worthless without JDMT)
    2 users like PokeJ's post: nolesooner, Steve O'Seinus

That's very good advice and I actually planned on doing that tonight. I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can be. I want to be a good owner.
    Be prepared not to sleep for about 4 months then.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    I'll have to try that beef broth ice cube thing. Our dog loves regular ice cubes, but she'd really dig on beef flavored. What's the ratio of water to broth you use?
    12 oz can of broth in my 4 cup mixing cup with a spot and the rest water so it pours nicely into 2 ice cube trays

We have a French bulldog and we feed him Natural Balance grain free. It's about $50 for a 30 lb bag, sometimes a few bucks less if we catch it on sale. French bulldogs are notorious for having allergies to grain and the other shit that is typically used as "filler" in cheaper dog foods. We started off trying to feed him Science Diet but his skin immediately started breaking out as a reaction to the grain. Yes it's expensive, but it is absolutely worth it. The good news is that Frenchies don't eat that much, about 2.5 cups a day.

Iams...but that is the girlfriends choice...if it was up to me they would get Old Roy....

"I'm Mia, I'll eat anything."

A skin condition (as I have read) is actually very closely related to what a dog eats. Food can and will affect your dogs skin, allergies and coat. Something to consider. Why don't you try the blue buffalo for a month and see how your dog does. Who knows...maybe the problem will go away. I've read a lot where that has happened.

I will tell my vet you suggest that based on internet reading and we will switch her food... We can't switch her foods, we tried once she throws up all over my house and the poops everywhere for days...once the puking and pooping stopped she stopped eating for days... I have had her 5 years I am pretty sure we tried everything we could but the shots work and she stopped having big patches of itchy skin...

Sorry to be a **** but I have been taking my animals to the same vet since I moved here and she was the first and only vet to see Bailey when I got her from the shelter.. Believe me if food switching would fix it we would have known...

Also I will ad it is much easier to feed small dogs expensive foods both of mine are 60 lbs and 88 lbs

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    We have a French bulldog and we feed him Natural Balance grain free. It's about $50 for a 30 lb bag, sometimes a few bucks less if we catch it on sale. French bulldogs are notorious for having allergies to grain and the other shit that is typically used as "filler" in cheaper dog foods. We started off trying to feed him Science Diet but his skin immediately started breaking out as a reaction to the grain. Yes it's expensive, but it is absolutely worth it. The good news is that Frenchies don't eat that much, about 2.5 cups a day.
    My English is the same way. We had to start going the "fresh" route because he was constantly breaking out in hives no matter what we bought him.

do dogs like ambien?
    All your posts to me have ambien. Could you at least try to get some new material?

If you want to switch foods and your dog is a picky eater (finicky is for cats) you should mix in a little of the new into the old stuff...slowly raise the percentage of the new food..doesn't always work but might be worth a try..
    The following users like this post: nolesooner

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    some dogs do have food allergy skin things ...unfortunately it is not what is wrong with my Bailey =(

Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I switched my dog from "crap" to Taste of the Wild. It's an affordable highly rated dog food.
    5 users like Boomer.....'s post: JJ24OU, Morningwood, nolesooner, oorah_okie, SpankyNek

I will tell my vet you suggest that based on internet reading and we will switch her food... We can't switch her foods, we tried once she throws up all over my house and the poops everywhere for days...once the puking and pooping stopped she stopped eating for days... I have had her 5 years I am pretty sure we tried everything we could but the shots work and she stopped having big patches of itchy skin...

Sorry to be a **** but I have been taking my animals to the same vet since I moved here and she was the first and only vet to see Bailey when I got her from the shelter.. Believe me if food switching would fix it we would have known...

Also I will ad it is much easier to feed small dogs expensive foods both of mine are 60 lbs and 88 lbs
    When you were switching food, did you introduce it very slowly over a period of 1 to 2 weeks? Increasing it slowly over that time?

Also, yes, your post did come across a tad ****y.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

All your posts to me have ambien. Could you at least try to get some new material?
    Do dogs like Lunesta?
    3 users like pphilfran's post: nolesooner, ThievingMagpie, usaosooner

Originally Posted by Boomer..... View Post
    Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I switched my dog from "crap" to Taste of the Wild. It's an affordable highly rated dog food.
    That was another site I was gonna post.

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    Do dogs like Lunesta?
    Hahaha, you got me there friend. Funny.

Everybody loves a dog thread.

hey ****er, at least i answered your question. personally, i don't care what you feed your dog, its going to eat its own shit anyway.

When you were switching food, did you introduce it very slowly over a period of 1 to 2 weeks? Increasing it slowly over that time?
    nope because I have not raised animals my whole life and I just willy nilly through out all the food on the advice of my vet =)
    The following users like this post: DrBrizzle

holy shit, its a ****ing dog, not a special needs child. this isn't rocket science.

hey ****er, at least i answered your question. personally, i don't care what you feed your dog, its going to eat its own shit anyway.
    To a dog, shit must taste like a cherry Popsicle
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

Thanks for the help.

nope because I have not raised animals my whole life and I just willy nilly through out all the food on the advice of my vet =)
    If you're doing what your bet suggests then by all means continue to do so.

Thanks for the help.
    **** you.

holy shit, its a ****ing dog, not a special needs child. this isn't rocket science.
    Ok ****. Good god. No need to ****ing have an aneurism over the thread. Chill the **** out.