Color Me Rad 5k............OKC

Posted 703 day(s) ago 3611 Views 70 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Any of slack-jaws going to run in this? Its for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Me and Mrs Snake are going to run it.
    The following users like this post: Pardner

I was talking to my boss today about doing this with her and some coworkers - her daughter has CF.

Also, we have a poster with CF. I won't out him, but I think he's very inspirational.

Are these guys going to be there?

2 users like tfoolry's post: OUMallen, Tug Medick

My wife has CF, I may do this. When is it?

Date?

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I was talking to my boss today about doing this with her and some coworkers - her daughter has CF.

Also, we have a poster with CF. I won't out him, but I think he's very inspirational.
    Said poster is welcome to IM me, I am curious now. Especially as the spouse of a person with CF.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Said poster is welcome to IM me, I am curious now. Especially as the spouse of a person with CF.
    Spouse? Are you married to a man?

May 11.
    http://www.colormerad.com/races/oklahomacity.html

May 11, 2013

sounds pretty good, hope my schedule will allow

Originally Posted by catfishcurtis View Post
    sounds pretty good, hope my schedule will allow
    That makes two of us.

My wife, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law are going to run..I might run it

In a Shoe with sooo man children...what to do?

Is it wrong to want to run this just to watch mrs. Snake
    3 users like nekkedJ_bird's post: Aurora, Julz, Stinger_1066

I'm the poster that was talking about. Thanks everyone for running. There are exciting things going on in CF research right now, and fund raisers like this go a long way towards helping to find a cure. For the first time there is actually a light at the end of the tunnel.

OnlyOne, (or anyone else) please feel free to IM me if you'd like to. I'm not shy at all about talking about CF.
    5 users like Pardner's post: Aurora, drumhead23us, McRib, OUMallen, SoulRebel

Originally Posted by Pardner View Post
    I'm the poster that was talking about. Thanks everyone for running. There are exciting things going on in CF research right now, and fund raisers like this go a long way towards helping to find a cure. For the first time there is actually a light at the end of the tunnel.

OnlyOne, (or anyone else) please feel free to IM me if you'd like to. I'm not shy at all about talking about CF.
    <3

Are you going to run in this race, ?

Re: Color Me Rad 5k............OKC

Wow you guys are young, hopefully she is well and can battle this

You should run this

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    Are you going to run in this race, ?
    I'm planning on it.

Love to you, hopefully the lights at the end of the tunnel are truly life changing for people with CF
    2 users like Aurora's post: McRib, Pardner

Our Houston version in march benefits the Special Olympics

I don't live in okc but I will sponsor a broke ass LT runner to run it for me. PM me if interested.

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Love to you, hopefully the lights at the end of the tunnel are truly life changing for people with CF
    Thanks, Aurora. In a nutshell, researchers have recently discovered a cure for one of the over 1,500 documented mutations of the CF gene. Now they just need to apply the same techniques to find something that will cure the other mutations. Once they do, instead of two hour-long breathing treatments a day, 15+ pills with every meal, and IV antibiotics for 3 weeks every 3 months, I'll take one or two pills a day. That's it. Life changing indeed. It will take time and money, but sooner or later they'll have a cure. What used to be science fiction is inevitable, thanks to people like you who help raise money to fight this disease.
    2 users like Pardner's post: Aurora, Saul Good

Wow you guys are young, hopefully she is well and can battle this

You should run this
    I'm not well educated on it but don't you have it from childhood. I guess I always think of Boomer Esiason's kid.

Originally Posted by Sir Bevedere View Post
    I don't live in okc but I will sponsor a broke ass LT runner to run it for me. PM me if interested.
    Where do you live, Sir Bevedere?

Pardner & I were at OU together, he's older than me! (Sorry dude, your age is practically miraculous )

Thanks, Aurora. In a nutshell, researchers have recently discovered a cure for one of the over 1,500 documented mutations of the CF gene. Now they just need to apply the same techniques to find something that will cure the other mutations. Once they do, instead of two hour-long breathing treatments a day, 15+ pills with every meal, and IV antibiotics for 3 weeks every 3 months, I'll take one or two pills a day. That's it. Life changing indeed. It will take time and money, but sooner or later they'll have a cure. What used to be science fiction is inevitable, thanks to people like you who help raise money to fight this disease.
    So awesome. Sooooo so awesome.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I'm not well educated on it but don't you have it from childhood. I guess I always think of Boomer Esiason's kid.
    Yes, it's genetic, but not everyone is diagnosed at birth. Most are diagnosed within the first six months, especially now with mandatory screenings in many states, but my twin sister and I weren't diagnosed until we were 29.

Boomer Esiason has done a lot to raise awareness and money for CF. I had the opportunity to go to a Boomer Esiason Foundation fund raiser when I was in NYC. Boomer was there, but I didn't try to meet him. I didn't want to seem like a dork. But looking back on it I wish I'd met him.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I believe, I just think a young couple this could be taxing and I wish them the best. Relationships carry plenty of challenges without adding the stress of a disease such as this

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    Where do you live, Sir Bevedere?
    Camelot
    2 users like Sir Bevedere's post: Stinger_1066, Yasiel Puig

I will let you sponsor me, Sir.

Camelot
    Do I detect a French accent?

I will let you sponsor me, Sir.
    Done, Is there a certain team you want to join?

, you are registered and team captain of LandThieves.
    2 users like Sir Bevedere's post: OUMallen, Pardner

, you are registered and team captain of LandThieves.
    You, Sir, are a truly a knight. And super duper sweet Thank you so very much. <3

I may do this. I am working on improving my cardio and should be more than able to run a 5K by May.

Stinger, you can walk if want, its encouraged.

Sent from my Mobilly using Tapatalk 2

The Mrs is running it. I don't want to embarrass anyone with my blazing speed, I'm sure this is an amateur event but if she's doing it I'll think about it.

Run? Not unless someone is chasing me.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

I believe, I just think a young couple this could be taxing and I wish them the best. Relationships carry plenty of challenges without adding the stress of a disease such as this
    Yeah. Thanks for the wishes. It is very challenging and taxing, some days more than others. Fortunately we are both educated and she is able to work and has good insurance.

My wife was diagnosed at 2 months when she was failure to thrive. They did a salt test, because the gene still hasn't been identified in the late 80s. She is 25 now and lung function in the 60s, we are hoping that new drug can help her and that we can afford it. She has one of the alleles that the next iteration of kalydeco is supposed to help treat, so some of her symptoms may be mitigated it just depends on if it works for heterozygous cf'ers. She does 45 minutes of treatments twice a day and still manages to go to yoga a couple of times a week.

She also loves running but can barely shuffle a 5k in 35-40 minutes. I doubt she will do the color run because they use powder and we don't know if it has any bad effects if she inhales it.

Oh well, life goes on. People should do this if they can.

Yeah. Thanks for the wishes. It is very challenging and taxing, some days more than others. Fortunately we are both educated and she is able to work and has good insurance.

My wife was diagnosed at 2 months when she was failure to thrive. They did a salt test, because the gene still hasn't been identified in the late 80s. She is 25 now and lung function in the 60s, we are hoping that new drug can help her and that we can afford it. She has one of the alleles that the next iteration of kalydeco is supposed to help treat, so some of her symptoms may be mitigated it just depends on if it works for heterozygous cf'ers. She does 45 minutes of treatments twice a day and still manages to go to yoga a couple of times a week.

She also loves running but can barely shuffle a 5k in 35-40 minutes. I doubt she will do the color run because they use powder and we don't know if it has any bad effects if she inhales it.

We'll run for her

Keep hanging in there and trust that science is working hard for a cure! Also keep being sweet to her

Ran it last year in OKC. It was fun, until you get douched with the powdered color packets while crossing the finish line. Makes your eyes and throat burn a little.

Originally Posted by the_Mont View Post
    Ran it last year in OKC. It was fun, until you get douched with the powdered color packets while crossing the finish line. Makes your eyes and throat burn a little.
    Seems like powdered color packets in your douche might make sex afterwards super fun.
    The following users like this post: the_Mont

YeaI doubt she will do the color run because they use powder and we don't know if it has any bad effects if she inhales it.
    Yeah, I was considering volunteering to be a "color bomber" last year, but changed my mind when I found out it was a powder. If I decide to do it this year I'll definitely wear a respirator-style mask. But most likely I'll pass and just recruit runners.

I would go but it's OU's graduation that day and got some folks to see graduate

Originally Posted by dallasstars10 View Post
    I would go but it's OU's graduation that day and got some folks to see graduate
    OH DAMMIT. Meh, I doubt my students will miss me. Or I'll come covered in color powder. Oh well.

OH DAMMIT. Meh, I doubt my students will miss me. Or I'll come covered in color powder. Oh well.
    You can always transfer the registration to another LT poster if it conflicts with your schedule. Just give them the username and password and they can change it to their info.

Or you could just suck it up and do it yourself.

You can always transfer the registration to another LT poster if it conflicts with your schedule. Just give them the username and password and they can change it to their info.

Or you could just suck it up and do it yourself.
    Like I said, I doubt I'll be missed at graduation. I said I'll run & will.

Run. **** that, exercise will kill you!

So mcrib is the team captain? I've run a few races but not been on a fund-raising team, what is required, and how do you register, and is it open to anyone on landthieves?