Lane Johnson and the NFL draft

Posted 620 day(s) ago 4530 Views 54 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Three of these four prognosticators think Lane will be picked in the first round. If true, that will be a great story for him and the program. Wasn't he a QB and TE in high-school?

Also, Bjoern Werner, the DE at Florida State, is projected by all four to go in the top ten. Isn't he the DE who was causing Johnson all sorts of problems during the 2011 OU @ Florida State game?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

I saw him #26 in one of these awhile back. Interesting that one guy has him at 16, and Gil Brandt doesn't have him going in the first.

A very good story for OU. From QB to OT is quite a journey to the NFL.

Yes Werner was causing issues that night. That dude is a stud. With that said, he was timing the shit out of our rhythmic snaps getting a hell of a jump. We change up our cadence AT ALL. We had him for 5-10 offsides.

Lane Johnson has more completions and TDS as a college QB than anyone on the the OU roster. Sooner fans lick their lips when we play an inexpeirenced Texas QB. Bonghorns will be doing likewise. http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...on_lane00.html

Originally Posted by Rockgod View Post
    Lane Johnson has more completions and TDS as a college QB than anyone on the the OU roster. Sooner fans lick their lips when we play an inexpeirenced Texas QB. Bonghorns will be doing likewise. http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...on_lane00.html
    I think the last thing UT will be doing is talking shit about a QB who ran all over their sorry ass defense.

Originally Posted by Rockgod View Post
    How did Bradford do against Texass in 2007, his first year?

He is the most athletic tackle in the draft

Jared Lorenzen is kicking himself for going to Kentucky.
    2 users like AcousticSoup's post: ozz, Turk

2013 Senior Bowl: Tuesday Practice Report (South Team)

The Detroit Lions' coaching staff ran Tuesday's South team practice with the players in full pads. The stars of Tuesday for the South were Stanford running back Stepfan Taylor, Florida running back Mike Gillislee, Georgia nose tackle John Jenkins and Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson. All of them had excellent practices from start to finish.

Oklahoma's Lane Johnson was the best offensive tackle on the South squad on Tuesday. He beat Clemson's Malliciah Goodman on a few reps, including one where he pushed Goodman into the turf with force. Johnson also had some easy wins with LSU defensive end Lavar Edwards.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

Lane Johnson is creating a lot of buzz at practice. Saw an article where is said he is the most impressive OT out there and that his technique is consistently better than other OT's. We should be tweeting these articles to all HS OLs being recruited to show OU can develop them into pro talent. But yet we can't sign OLs? WTF.

Dumbassed coaching staff, making a QB an OT. Can't be done.

Originally Posted by warrenpiece View Post
    Lane Johnson is creating a lot of buzz at practice. Saw an article where is said he is the most impressive OT out there and that his technique is consistently better than other OT's. We should be tweeting these articles to all HS OLs being recruited to show OU can develop them into pro talent. But yet we can't sign OLs? WTF.
    How can this be??? Kittle can't coach!

With the 18th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft......the Dallas Cowboys select......Lane Jonson......OT from Oklahoma.

We're QBU, can't help it if Lane/Kiffin didn't get the memo.

I thought Lane was really #3 at OT this week; jaekel (****? whatev), and the kid from Central Mich were ahead of him.

Good interview and more news from today...http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...bowl-standouts

Pretty amazing: not long after searching for a position at a JUCO, Lane Johnson stands to sign for $5,000,000 or more as a left tackle. Nice career path. And he can afford lots of gorilla jewelry.
    The following users like this post: quatrogenerian

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    I thought Lane was really #3 at OT this week; jaekel (****? whatev), and the kid from Central Mich were ahead of him.

Good interview and more news from today...http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...bowl-standouts
    Supposedly Jaekal runs a 7.0-40 and the kid from UCMs technique isn't as good and Johnsons overall strength is what sets him apart. Being in the top 3 OT is not a bad place to be,money-wise.

It may work out even better for him. Still a first-round pick on a better team maybe.

Hadn't heard Jaekel and talk of his 40. Likewise Lane's bench could hurt him, although I don't know if someone's bench press has ever 'hurt' anyone, has it? Definitely looking forward to the combine this year.

I have seen more than one projection with Lane going to the Rams at 16.

Lane has made it on Kiper's Big Board at 18.

18 Lane Johnson AGE: 22 DOB: 5/8/90 HT: 6-7WT: 303 POS: OT

He has really long arms, and can absorb rushers. He's pretty technically sound with his feet given a relative lack of experience on the O-line, and he plays relaxed as a pass-blocker. In terms of natural skills, he grades high, but he'll pick up some tricks as he gains more reps against better talent.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    This would be awesome.

Seems pretty incredible that 3 OT could go in the first 15-20 pics of the draft. Have to go look at the last few drafts...definitely a premium position in the NFL. Lane practicing and doing well at both left and right tackle is gold.

who could have predicted 2 years ago, that Lane switching positions would get drafted round 1 and higher than Landry Jones
    no body but Lane?

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    who could have predicted 2 years ago, that Lane switching positions would get drafted round 1 and higher than Landry Jones
    no body but Lane?
    Makes all those QB-TE-OT bashers look like jack asses. Good for Lane good luck with NFL career.

Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson had back-to-back wins against Goodman, pushing him down on the second. Johnson kept making things look easy by shutting down two rushes from LSU's Lavar Edwards. Johnson stopped Edwards in his drop and just kept him far from the pocket. There is no doubt that Johnson has had a tremendous Senior Bowl and has really helped himself.

http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...3practice6.php

Makes all those QB-TE-OT bashers look like jack asses. Good for Lane good luck with NFL career.
    you forgot his stint at DE after TE

Rotated between offensive tackle and defensive end during the spring of 2011

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    With the 18th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft......the Dallas Cowboys select......Lane Jonson......OT from Oklahoma.
    Would be nice...

Curtis Fitzpatrick‏@cfitzfox

OU Offensive Tackle Lane Johnson is named Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman at the Senior Bowl Practices

Re: Lane Johnson and the NFL draft

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    Curtis Fitzpatrick‏@cfitzfox

OU Offensive Tackle Lane Johnson is named Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman at the Senior Bowl Practices
    You see things like this and wonder why can't we run the ball against good defenses? Congrats to Lane
    3 users like Sooner 4 Life's post: ab5sr, Meni, pbc2003

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    You see things like this and wonder why can't we run the ball against good defenses? Congrats to Lane
    not a mystery...LJ is only 1/5 of the OLine,he can't do it all by himself,and you have to give credit,some anyway to the opposing defenses regardless of who they were.
    2 users like greenfacedman's post: ab5sr, Sooner 4 Life

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    With all the help St Louis needs on O line, they may want to trade up into the 20-25 range and pick Lane twice.

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    Jared Lorenzen is kicking himself for going to Kentucky.
    The Hefty Lefty had a cup of coffee in the league.

Originally Posted by okienole3 View Post
    The Hefty Lefty had a cup of coffee in the league.
    The Round Mound of Touchdown spent a couple years as the #3 QB in NY.

Yep. He's Super Bowl Champion Jared Lorenzen.

Any ideas on what Lane will be clocked at in the 40? I'm thinking he should put up a hell of a time in the 40 and shuttle drills for an OT.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Any ideas on what Lane will be clocked at in the 40? I'm thinking he should put up a hell of a time in the 40 and shuttle drills for an OT.
    acording to some OU players they expect Lane to better donald stephenson's combine numbers .. he had the best OT 40 last year
    The following users like this post: lobster999

I saw what appeared to be a projection (I know where the hell would they get this info) yesterday, no link, that had him at 5.1. In an interview on the NFL network a couple of days ago he said he ran 4.7 recently; I'm betting 4.7 or 4.8 range.

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    acording to some OU players they expect Lane to better donald stephenson's combine numbers .. he had the best OT 40 last year
    I think he will too. Didn't Lane say that he beat out all the quarterbacks in the 40?

Originally Posted by mavsfan31 View Post
    I think he will too. Didn't Lane say that he beat out all the quarterbacks in the 40?
    I think I remember that quote from him, too. More importantly, though, doesn't Lane date The Twirler?

Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    not a mystery...LJ is only 1/5 of the OLine,he can't do it all by himself,and you have to give credit,some anyway to the opposing defenses regardless of who they were.
    Also the zone blocking scheme isn't always great for the run if you have injuries...

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    I think I remember that quote from him, too. More importantly, though, doesn't Lane date The Twirler?
    No, I seem to remember another player posting on twitter that Lane got married. I feel like if it was to the twirler we all would have heard about it by now.

I thought the twirler was going out with someone in the band

Going into the Senior Bowl, it was about half and half on where scouts thought he would go..Guys that projected him at LT had him in the 1st round, those that projected him at RT had him in the 2nd round..I think more teams now want him at LT which pushes him into the 1st, especially after seeing his frame and knowing he can probably play at 320ish.

Lane is now 16th pick in kiper new mock draft and up to #11 in Mcshays new draft
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    It's pretty simple really, OU's run-blocking schemes completely negate any talent that OU may have on the offensive line. This is why Patton needs to go. He's great with pass blocking schemes, but atrocious when it comes to run-blocking. Sans the TCU game in 2012, anytime OU faces a Top 50 defense they're lucky to sniff even 80 yards rushing. Sad.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    It's pretty simple really, OU's run-blocking schemes completely negate any talent that OU may have on the offensive line. This is why Patton needs to go. He's great with pass blocking schemes, but atrocious when it comes to run-blocking. Sans the TCU game in 2012, anytime OU faces a Top 50 defense they're lucky to sniff even 80 yards rushing. Sad.
    I never understand this line of thinking. He's the OL coach implementing a scheme around the overall offensive gameplan. OU has been a pass first offense for years. Why wouldn't he scheme to that strength?!?

I know that the fans would love to see a stronger running game, but if the boss (i.e. Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach) don't force that hand, what do YOU do as an OL coach? I really don't think Patton is the problem. We've struggled running the ball for years. Remove NFL MVP (Adrian Petersen) and NFL starter (Demarco Murray) and you would have the same results. I think AD and Murray had so much success at OU based on their talent, not on the strength of OU's OL blocking schemes.

Patton took a position that was riddled with injuries this year and made that unit into a strength. Protecting his QB was the main emphasis of OU's offense this year so they could throw the ball. He succeeded in that area. Landry had ample time to throw all year long. Why so much contempt for a coach who is following the philosophy driven down from the current and previous Offensive Coordinators?

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Oregon is exclusively a zone blocking team. 70% of the teams in the NFL are predominately zone blocking teams. Zone blocking in itself doesn't mean you can't run the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lanes Agent

@KenSarnoff
    @Lanejohnson69 - 6'7, 305 just ran 4.67, 4.69 laser in 40 today.

holy shit
    The following users like this post: ab5sr