Zero Superbowl wins for NE since

Posted 579 day(s) ago 2814 Views 61 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

NFL Zero Superbowl wins for NE since

installing the no-huddle spread attack. Tom Brady has continued to carve up the NFL during the regular season, racking up all kinds of offensive records, but when it has mattered, his offense has failed.

Sounds like a certain team we all love.

We love Oregon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 users like OuachitaSooner's post: meandmybutt, nstinson, oorah_okie

Wonder if Patriots message board meltdown are as epic as LT meltdowns.....
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay

They won 3 when they ran a typical pro style offense that established a run game first, and focused on ball control.
    The following users like this post: OU812

Does Gronk Make the difference?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Wonder if Patriots message board meltdown are as epic as LT meltdowns.....
    I'm guessing probably worse.

Also, zero superbowl wins since they were caught cheating and Godell swept it all under the rug
    5 users like stlOU's post: EufaulaSooner, IndySooner, Irish_Sooner, oubozfan44, Schnelly

Wishbone anyone?
    The following users like this post: BajaOklahoma

Tried to read some of the posts on the main NE board, the server was down.

This is what happens when defensive minded coaches abandon their identity to chase after the skirts of offensive records and exotic formations.
    4 users like Nazgul's post: madillsoonerfan5353, OU812, Sooner 4 Life, Sooners2007

As well as 26 other NFL teams the vast majority who do not run any sort of spread
    2 users like Irish_Sooner's post: logan, OUMallen

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    This is what happens when defensive minded coaches abandon their identity to chase after the skirts of offensive records and exotic formations.
    Maybe you should be coach?

So their offense was good enough to get into the Super Bowl 2 more times and the AFC championship game another 2 times, but it is also the reason they did not win them?

While you guys engage in sophistry, Niners and Ravens will play big boy football and decide who is crowned champion. I guess this the type of fan base we are now, the one that celebrates co-championships, and getting in divisional championship games.
    2 users like Nazgul's post: DIB, Sooner 4 Life

They might have won today if Welker catches that ball for a 1st down in the first half. And they win the SB if he catches that one against the NYG that he's going to live with forever.

I hate the Pats - but they just had a bad second half today against a determined Ravens squad.

I agree with the premise though. If we could run Bama's offense and had the personnel they do - I'd prefer that to the pinball stuff.

Offense had nothing to do with a 3rd string tight end catching the ball off his helmet on 3rd and long, or manningham making an unreal catch on the sideline late in the fourth quarter.
    The following users like this post: lycao

Jim Harbaugh abandoned his more traditional style of offense to switch, in the middle of the season, to a young and inexperienced mobile QB running a zone-read scheme that is new and relatively untested in the NFL. Seems to have worked out pretty well. I want OU to abandon the no-huddle, finesse offense too, but let's not argue against innovation.

While you guys engage in sophistry, Niners and Ravens will play big boy football and decide who is crowned champion. I guess this the type of fan base we are now, the one that celebrates co-championships, and getting in divisional championship games.
    You worked very very hard to get to the point where you felt vindicated to take a swipe at OU. You couldn't find ANY other thread to post on you had to create yet another one? Good job though, much work went into this.

However, it hasn't been the offense that has ****ed up the Patriots, it's the lack of defense and getting key stops when needed. BTW is Kaepernick a traditional QB now? You know the kind that just drops backs and throws and let the rest of the offense play "big boy" football.

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    You worked very very hard to get to the point where you felt vindicated to take a swipe at OU. You couldn't find ANY other thread to post on you had to create yet another one? Good job though, much work went into this.

However, it hasn't been the offense that has ****ed up the Patriots, it's the lack of defense and getting key stops when needed. BTW is Kaepernick a traditional QB now? You know the kind that just drops backs and throws and let the rest of the offense play "big boy" football.
    does it ever get old white knighting for ou?

Their main problem is all these little engines that could like Welker, edelman, woodhead, etc. get exposed when they play a physical team. This isn't the Bills. The Ravens were out there manhandling these little receivers, not caring if they picked up the occasional clown defenseless receiver penalties. There is a reason the Patriots dropped some balls. Meanwhile the Ravens are running with Boldin, Smith, Jones out there who are big physical guys and wearing out smallish DB's.

OU has some of the same issues at WR. They can't keep trotting out 3 little engines that could and beat good teams. Guys like Saunders, Shepherd, Neal are good players, but they have to be mixed in with physical wideouts, or, god forbid, a tight end. You can't have 3 slot guys on the field at one time.
    The following users like this post: fdubzou

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    does it ever get old white knighting for ou?
    Does it ever get old being a douche? Was ANYTHING I said wrong? It's funny I didn't white knight for anything but hey that's the cliche right? Don't argue what I said just the fact I said it, for some reason that bothers you, I'm so sorry. Please continue being a douche. Enjoy your night
    2 users like Soonerlife's post: oorah_okie, Tenacious C

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    Their main problem is all these little engines that could like Welker, edelman, woodhead, etc. get exposed when they play a physical team. This isn't the Bills. The Ravens were out there manhandling these little receivers, not caring if they picked up the occasional clown defenseless receiver penalties. There is a reason the Patriots dropped some balls. Meanwhile the Ravens are running with Boldin, Smith, Jones out there who are big physical guys and wearing out smallish DB's.
    OU has some of the same issues at WR.
    You're right I've thought that for a while. I don't think they are a "gimmick" offense but some of their players ie the ones you mentioned are "gimmicky". NE prides themselves on taking the over achievers and making them into something. I like Welker I think he is savvy enough with his experience, but the other two I'm just not sold on

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    You're right I've thought that for a while. I don't think they are a "gimmick" offense but some of their players ie the ones you mentioned are "gimmicky". NE prides themselves on taking the over achievers and making them into something. I like Welker I think he is savvy enough with his experience, but the other two I'm just not sold on
    They play in such a bad division some of these things don't get exposed till later, even takes the Super Bowl sometimes to do it. They are still really good, but the fact they were favored to beat the Ravens by nearly double digits was laughable. The Ravens were always going to wear on them as the game went on. Patriots could have won, but a 10 point spread with two evenly talented teams (Ravens probably more talented) was very odd.

The Patriots offense is not the problem, the bad defense and the injuries are the problem.

I saw Colin K in the pistol today, same as Landry.

You're right...the niners hate the spread.

Tommy McDonald... If you didn't see him play, your life lacks meaning. And the football...when did they change its contours and air pressure? k

I've never been impressed with NE's defense over the past few years. Reminds me of a Venable's defense.

I will say Nazgul has a point.

While teams like San Fran, Washington in the NFL, and Oregon in college run the spread, they run a run 1st oriented spread with a mobile QB.

I truly believe a pass 1st spread with an immobile QB breeds soft attitudes upfront and it trickles down to the rest of the team. Running the ball 1st, no matter what offensive philosophy or formations you choose, will always make a better team then a team who passes 50 times a game

SoonerBounce Guest

installing the no-huddle spread attack. Tom Brady has continued to carve up the NFL during the regular season, racking up all kinds of offensive records, but when it has mattered, his offense has failed.

Sounds like a certain team we all love.
    I actually had this same thought. But I don't think it's bc the offense can't win, it's just that everybody has adapted and caught up

Coach Harbaugh's team will win the Super Bowl. LOL

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    I actually had this same thought. But I don't think it's bc the offense can't win, it's just that everybody has adapted and caught up
    It's easy to scheme as a defense to disrupt passing lanes, receivers, and get pressure on the QB.

It is much more difficult to stop a running attack. Even though you know its coming (Like AD) if the line plays physical, eventually the defense will break down

The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

The Patriots offense is not the problem
    How is it possible to make this statement?

A quick look at their last 2 playoff losses is glaring.

All the records against the AFC East are great, but their lack of explosive players on the outside and little engine's that could playing big roles isn't working. And we'll see how long they can pay two All-Pro TE's.

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    How is it possible to make this statement?

A quick look at their last 2 playoff losses is glaring.

All the records against the AFC East are great, but their lack of explosive players on the outside and little engine's that could playing big roles isn't working. And we'll see how long they can pay two All-Pro TE's.
    Tonight's game is undeniable, when it comes to failing in the red zone. With that said the Pats were also without Gronk tonight and he was very bang up in the Super Bowl last season.Without the offense working the way it does they do not even make it as far as they did. The defense is horrid and has been for a while. The running game isn't near as bad as it looked tonight, the play calling just seemed to abandon it for no reason (till Ridley got hurt anyways).

Tom Brady & Vince wolfolk are the only current patriots with a Super Bowl ring... The turn over in that league is constant.

Talib going out absolutely killed the Pat defense.

Someone pointed it out before, but I definitely tie it more to the cheating than to the offense. It's no coincidence that Manning started carving Belicheat's D up when the cameras were turned off.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Someone pointed it out before, but I definitely tie it more to the cheating than to the offense. It's no coincidence that Manning started carving Belicheat's D up when the cameras were turned off.
    can't wait for the future to have all the facts come out and see how much cheating they were really doing

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    can't wait for the future to have all the facts come out and see how much cheating they were really doing
    Godell destroyed all of the tapes etc.
    I don't think you destroy evidence because "it's not that bad"

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Does Gronk Make the difference?

I was wondering the same thing. New England had trouble converting in the red zone. Much like OU did this year against better competition. Would Gronk have been worth 7? 14??
    On defense New England was willing to give up the short stuff and prevent the big play. Very similar to our strategy against spread teams. Only problem - NE couldn't keep Flacco & company out of the end zone or anywhere else last nite.

Brady socred what should've been the game winning TD using the no huddle offense in 2007. Defense gave up the game because Samuel dropped a game clinching pick right before the most improbable catch this side of the Immaculate Reception.

Last year Welker drops a pass that essentially clinches the game, but it still takes a ridiculous Manningham catch to win that one.

Pats offense wasn't as prolific in those games as they were in the regular season, but their offense wasn't the reason they lost. Brady made the plays to put his team in the position to win both games, but the defense gave up the lead twice.

The last few Super Bowl champs weren't exactly run first offenses.... Giants, Packers, saints, colts. Even the Steelers only had 50 or so rushing yards in their win.

Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    The last few Super Bowl champs weren't exactly run first offenses.... Giants, Packers, saints, colts. Even the Steelers only had 50 or so rushing yards in their win.
    You're doing it wrong.

Take this a step further. Which would you rather game plan against as a DC? A off tackle offense that utilizes play action or a spread attack that uses play action, 4 wides, a TE and a running qb?

Even yesterday the Ravens weren't some smash mouth team the entire game. They tried it in the first half and scored 7 points. They went to a no huddle pass first attack in the second half and scored 21. Yes they ran for a couple first downs at the end of the game, but that was after they were able to pass themselves to the lead.
    2 users like aaron7's post: Master Pandemonium, oucub23

haha yeah, you go tell Bill ****in' Belichick how to run his team. This board is hilarious.

LOL, 2 super bowl losses in last minute.... gee lost to Ravens with GRONK, Chandler Jones, and TALIB out
    notice the Ravens offense while TALIB was in? 3 possessions, no movement.

real simple, Brady with Belichick is success. the most successful team in past 11 years, by far.
    5 super bowl apperances, 3 wins, 7 AFC Title games, 5 wins, AFC East champs all of 2 in past 11.

Belichick vs LandThieves, I'll take the HALL OF FAME COACH