Chipotle Mistake

Posted 672 day(s) ago 1436 Views 18 Replies

Chipotle Mistake

So the wife found a recipe in Real Simple magazine she thought sounded good. ****y chicken and hominy soup. Sounded good to me too so I made it. I do the cooking and tend to embellish on recipes to improve them.

So this recipe called for a rotisserie chicken, a can of hominy, couple stalks of celery, an onion, chicken broth and the chipotle peppers in adobo. I had never worked with chipotle peppers before so we got a small 4 oz can. I put it all together and when I opened up the peppers and dumped them in the pot... they were whole and needed to be chopped... so I fished them all back out and chopped them up... covered and simmered for 45 minutes.

That soup was so freaking hot! We used almost an entire small tub of sour cream trying to cut the heat! I finished a bowl and the top of my head was sweating and my lips were burning. The wife got through half a bowl and I finally told her not to be a hero, she had nothing to prove. She takes the bowls to the kitchen... I cook, she cleans. Awesome arrangement... and comes back and says... how much chipotle did you put in there? The whole can I said. She says... the recipe says 1 TABLESPOON of chipotle peppers. We both paid for that mistake with the soup going in, and the soup coming out. I'll pay closer attention the recipe next time.

Chipotle Mistake

Classic case of the fire ass
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Classic case of the fire ass

It burnt.

I thought you were going to go somewhere else with that story like the time i chopped up 15 habaneros to put in my chili and then went to take a piss.
    3 users like PigSooner's post: AcousticSoup, SiggyPoke, soonerbornsoonerbrett

If the top of your head is sweating, and not just your forehead, you've got serious heat going.

Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    I thought you were going to go somewhere else with that story like the time i chopped up 15 habaneros to put in my chili and then went to take a piss.
    Sort of like in HS when we'd smear Atomic Balm on someones jock.

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    So the wife found a recipe in Real Simple magazine she thought sounded good. ****y chicken and hominy soup. Sounded good to me too so I made it. I do the cooking and tend to embellish on recipes to improve them.

So this recipe called for a rotisserie chicken, a can of hominy, couple stalks of celery, an onion, chicken broth and the chipotle peppers in adobo. I had never worked with chipotle peppers before so we got a small 4 oz can. I put it all together and when I opened up the peppers and dumped them in the pot... they were whole and needed to be chopped... so I fished them all back out and chopped them up... covered and simmered for 45 minutes.

That soup was so freaking hot! We used almost an entire small tub of sour cream trying to cut the heat! I finished a bowl and the top of my head was sweating and my lips were burning. The wife got through half a bowl and I finally told her not to be a hero, she had nothing to prove. She takes the bowls to the kitchen... I cook, she cleans. Awesome arrangement... and comes back and says... how much chipotle did you put in there? The whole can I said. She says... the recipe says 1 TABLESPOON of chipotle peppers. We both paid for that mistake with the soup going in, and the soup coming out. I'll pay closer attention the recipe next time.
    Translated into Messican: "I made posole... it was good."
    5 users like MikeLucky's post: AcousticSoup, Aurora, OUMallen, soonerbornsoonerbrett, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Translated into Messican: "I made posole... it was good."
    Quit being such a Gringo.

That's happened to me. That, and the sweat running down the back of my neck. Good times.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    If the top of your head is sweating, and not just your forehead, you've got serious heat going.

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    That's happened to me. That, and the sweat running down the back of my neck. Good times.
    Kind of what I thought. It's not a chipotle mistake, it's a chipotle success!
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Kind of what I thought. It's not a chipotle mistake, it's a chipotle success!

I like it hot fellas... this was over my normal hot. It was like that Simpsons scene where Homer eats the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango and sees the coyote with Johnny Cash's voice.
    5 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: Aurora, DIB, oucub23, SiggyPoke, SpankyNek

It burnt.
    you should've eaten some ice cream after you ate the soup.

That's wimping out.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    you should've eaten some ice cream after you ate the soup.

I like it hot fellas... this was over my normal hot. It was like that Simpsons scene where Homer eats the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango and sees the coyote with Johnny Cash's voice.
    Actually made me laugh.

I made a cooking mistake today also!

I watched The Cooking Channel last weekend where this guy wraps a pork shoulder in banana leaves and cooks it in a Crock Pot. I had the recipe in my head and went to the Mexican market and asked if they had ancho paste. The Senora asks, "Do you mean this?" - pointing to Achiote Paste. Well, I thought maybe I heard it wrong. I've cooked many times with ancho chiles, but never had purchased an ancho paste.

I got home and started prepping the pork, with salt, pepper, lime juice, onion, and chicken broth, and smeared on the achiote paste.

But later I find the recipe online, and turns out I did hear it correctly - it was ancho paste - not achiote paste!!!

It turned out ok with the achiote paste but no doubt in my mind it would be much better with ancho paste. I can soak, blenderize, and strain anchos to make my own paste if i can't find it at a store.

2 banana leaves
    4 to 6 pound bone-in pork shoulder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 ounces ancho chile paste
    1 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1 white onion, chopped

I wrapped the super-tender pork in a flour torillas, with chopped cilantro for a tasty burrito. A few al dente pinto beans would have been a nice touch.

P.S. A whole can of chipotles?!? Hey-Zeus Hernandez Christ!

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    I made a cooking mistake today also!

I watched The Cooking Channel last weekend where this guy wraps a pork shoulder in banana leaves and cooks it in a Crock Pot. I had the recipe in my head and went to the Mexican market and asked if they had ancho paste. The Senora asks, "Do you mean this?" - pointing to Achiote Paste. Well, I thought maybe I heard it wrong. I've cooked many times with ancho chiles, but never had purchased an ancho paste.

I got home and started prepping the pork, with salt, pepper, lime juice, onion, and chicken broth, and smeared on the achiote paste.

But later I find the recipe online, and turns out I did hear it correctly - it was ancho paste - not achiote paste!!!

It turned out ok with the achiote paste but no doubt in my mind it would be much better with ancho paste. I can soak, blenderize, and strain anchos to make my own paste if i can't find it at a store.

2 banana leaves
    4 to 6 pound bone-in pork shoulder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 ounces ancho chile paste
    1 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1 white onion, chopped

I wrapped the super-tender pork in a flour torillas, with chopped cilantro for a tasty burrito. A few al dente pinto beans would have been a nice touch.

P.S. A whole can of chipotles?!? Hey-Zeus Hernandez Christ!

What exactly do the banana leaves do for this?

There is a mild flavor - like it was wrapped in a giant bay leaf. But also, the banana leaf is liquid proof - so if wrapped well, it will seal in the moisture.

The most memorable dish I've had w/ banana leaves was at a Thai restaurant - halibut baked in banana leaves, with lemongrass, ginger,dried red chiles, lime juice, cabbage, and soy sauce. It was orgasmicfantastic.

It also common with tamales in certain regions of Mexico, but I prefer the corn husks.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

Last edited by nocalsooner; January 25th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.

They use them for tamales in El Salvador as well.

Salvadorian tamales are big, and often contain a bone-in piece of chicken.

also there was a time when there wasn't any Reynolds Wrap.