Report: Xbox 720 Will Pack an 8-Core AMD Chip, 1.2 Teraflops of Power

Posted 647 day(s) ago 1854 Views 28 Replies
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie

    Report: Xbox 720 Will Pack an 8-Core AMD Chip, 1.2 Teraflops of Power

    Again, I have no idea what any of this means:

    http://gizmodo.com/5977907/report-xb...flops-of-power
    The following users like this post: CrimsonKel


  2. #2
    I had to google teraflop, lol I see its "A teraflop is one trillion floating point operations per second."

  3. #3
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,831
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Sounds to expensive and wont be backwards compatible with current xbox games. So....doubt it.

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    Sounds to expensive and wont be backwards compatible with current xbox games. So....doubt it.
    so a 360 game that comes out spring won't work on the new hardware?

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Again, I have no idea what any of this means:

    http://gizmodo.com/5977907/report-xb...flops-of-power
    Reminds me of the scene in Bull Durham where Nuke talks about his Porsche with the Blaupunkt sound system.

  6. #6
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,831
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    so a 360 game that comes out spring won't work on the new hardware?
    I was thinking of like BF3 and COD. Because I'm selfish. It just sounds like they are accelerating the technology. and games are expensive.

  7. #7
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie

    Honestly, I don't care for backwards compatibility that much. For the most part, when I finished a game or move on in the sports seasons, I'm done with them. I thought backward compatibility for the PS2 and Xbox would be awesome ... until you are reminded how much better the technology is in the new system.

  8. #8
    S00nerJay's Avatar
    Posts
    1,915
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    I was thinking of like BF3 and COD. Because I'm selfish. It just sounds like they are accelerating the technology. and games are expensive.
    No they aren't. I remember Nintendo games costing 50 dollars. I remember buying Legend of Zelda for over 60 dollars on the SNES. N64 games cost closer to $70-75.

    These were back in the days when gas was .70 cent a gallon. So back in NES - SNES days, a game was approximately equal to about 4 or 5 full tanks of gasoline.

    Now, often times you can buy a brand new game for less than a full tank of gas.

    P.S. Aren't you supposed to be gone?
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob


  9. #9
    No backwards compatibility would really suck. I have a few 1st Gen xbox games that i still play from time to time (KOTOR 1 and 2, Baulder's Gate 2 etc) Not to mention games that they are currently supporting with online functionality that you wouldn't be able to play (Halo 4,BLOPS etc). However nothing in the linked article even hinted at non-backwards compatibility and nothing anywhere else has even guessed as to weather or not it would be available.

    As a side note I wonder how they are going to handle game saves, DLC, achievement scores, and XBLA games when moving to the next generation.

  10. #10
    I don't understand why backwards compatibility is so much of a hassle for the game companies to do. Maybe LA could shed a little light on why, but in my head I would think it would be fairly simple and straight forward. I can still use software from 10 years ago on my Mac and my PC so why can't game companies get their software to be backwards compatible?

  11. #11
    So which will be more powerful? The 720 or the PS4?

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I don't understand why backwards compatibility is so much of a hassle for the game companies to do. Maybe LA could shed a little light on why, but in my head I would think it would be fairly simple and straight forward. I can still use software from 10 years ago on my Mac and my PC so why can't game companies get their software to be backwards compatible?
    I have the same wonder. With the switch to the HD generation of consoles it was not as much of an issue and it will be for this next gen for all the reasons i put above. Before you didn't have all of this downloadable content and money tied up in the previous system. Are they going to just make you to re-download all of your old arcade games on the new console? How about the saved games? And the games on demand. Games on demand and arcade games should be the easiest if its going to use the same marketplace. I can only speak for xbox. I have no idea how the PS3 does their stuff.

  13. #13
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    If Xbox is (as planned) going BluRay in he next console, backward compatibility could b more trouble than its worth.

  14. #14
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,831
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Honestly, I don't care for backwards compatibility that much. For the most part, when I finished a game or move on in the sports seasons, I'm done with them. I thought backward compatibility for the PS2 and Xbox would be awesome ... until you are reminded how much better the technology is in the new system.
    Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    No they aren't. I remember Nintendo games costing 50 dollars. I remember buying Legend of Zelda for over 60 dollars on the SNES. N64 games cost closer to $70-75.

    These were back in the days when gas was .70 cent a gallon. So back in NES - SNES days, a game was approximately equal to about 4 or 5 full tanks of gasoline.

    Now, often times you can buy a brand new game for less than a full tank of gas.

    P.S. Aren't you supposed to be gone?
    Both good points.

    PS: You cannot read. The bet was a week. A week. 7 days. A week.

  15. #15
    nlight1's Avatar
    Posts
    2,964
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Report: Xbox 720 Will Pack an 8-Core AMD Chip, 1.2 Teraflops of Power

    Calm down David

  16. #16
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,831
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    Calm down David
    You calm down.

  17. #17

    Report: Xbox 720 Will Pack an 8-Core AMD Chip, 1.2 Teraflops of Power

    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    You calm down.
    He told you.

  18. #18
    nlight1's Avatar
    Posts
    2,964
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Report: Xbox 720 Will Pack an 8-Core AMD Chip, 1.2 Teraflops of Power

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    He told you.
    I'm trembling in terror....

    That being said I'm excited about the next Xbox.

  19. #19
    nlight1's Avatar
    Posts
    2,964
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Report: Xbox 720 Will Pack an 8-Core AMD Chip, 1.2 Teraflops of Power

    Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    So which will be more powerful? The 720 or the PS4?
    After reading the link, it appears the PS4 will have 50% more processing power compared to the new Xbox. The Xbox will have double the memory/ram though. And they will now both have blue ray.

  20. #20
    Maybe I'll just get both. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 360 for Halo 4 (I've got a PS3), but maybe I should just hold out for the 720.

  21. #21
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie

    Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    Maybe I'll just get both. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 360 for Halo 4 (I've got a PS3), but maybe I should just hold out for the 720.
    Unless you find a used one for cheap that's reliable, I'd just hold out, honestly.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob


  22. #22
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    If Xbox is (as planned) going BluRay in he next console, backward compatibility could b more trouble than its worth.
    Good point. Blu-ray players are backward compatible with DVDs. Someone correct me on this but i believe the HDDVD was only an ad-on drive for the 360 and not what the games were printed on. If this is the case it could still be possible



    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post

    PS: You cannot read. The bet was a week. A week. 7 days. A week.
    ^^^this counts as whining

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    Good point. Blu-ray players are backward compatible with DVDs. Someone correct me on this but i believe the HDDVD was only an ad-on drive for the 360 and not what the games were printed on. If this is the case it could still be possible




    ^^^this counts as whining
    The HDDVD drive is an external add on. I have several HDDVDs still. They are quite cheap on Amazon now--shocker I know.

  24. #24
    eyeballjr's Avatar
    Posts
    1,772
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bartlesville

    Unless the PS4 is a flop, or XBox is crazy better, I will stick with sony.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Showtime


  25. #25
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    4,916
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    Good point. Blu-ray players are backward compatible with DVDs. Someone correct me on this but i believe the HDDVD was only an ad-on drive for the 360 and not what the games were printed on. If this is the case it could still be possible
    Blu ray drives were MADE backward compatible by adding a second laser. It is not inherently backward compatible. HD DVD drives were backward compatible with DVD, as they used the same laser. Then it's just a matter of decoding the mpeg2. Blu Rays and HDDVD use H.264 and VC-1 for compression so mpeg2 had to be included to decode DVDs. Anyone upgrading to Windows 8 may have noticed that DVD movies no longer work unless you add an Mpeg2 decoder, because Microsoft has dropped support.

    Backward compatibility is not worth the money for most companies, the reason being that you either have to emulate the old hardware in software, which results in a lot of technical issues or you have to include hardware that will allow old games to play natively on the new console, which increases the price of the console. But most people buying the new console won't play old games on it, and there's no financial updside for the hardware maker. Developers don't want to have to support old games on new consoles, so chances are some of those games won't play right anyway. I suggest just holding on to your old console to play those old games, so you get the exact experience that was intended.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob


  26. #26
    Yeah if this is true i will probably hold on to my old 360. Thanks for the info

  27. #27
    S00nerJay's Avatar
    Posts
    1,915
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Blu ray drives were MADE backward compatible by adding a second laser. It is not inherently backward compatible. HD DVD drives were backward compatible with DVD, as they used the same laser. Then it's just a matter of decoding the mpeg2. Blu Rays and HDDVD use H.264 and VC-1 for compression so mpeg2 had to be included to decode DVDs. Anyone upgrading to Windows 8 may have noticed that DVD movies no longer work unless you add an Mpeg2 decoder, because Microsoft has dropped support.

    Backward compatibility is not worth the money for most companies, the reason being that you either have to emulate the old hardware in software, which results in a lot of technical issues or you have to include hardware that will allow old games to play natively on the new console, which increases the price of the console. But most people buying the new console won't play old games on it, and there's no financial updside for the hardware maker. Developers don't want to have to support old games on new consoles, so chances are some of those games won't play right anyway. I suggest just holding on to your old console to play those old games, so you get the exact experience that was intended.
    I could be wrong, but because I still put a decent stock in what the PS3 has underneath it's hood I would like to think that the PS3 would be a major **** to emulate. I remember hearing PS2 emulation was near impossible without the GPU on board, and regular xbox emulation is buggy on the 360.

  28. #28
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    4,916
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    I have the original 60gig PS3 that has PS2 compatibility, and even with the chips it wasn't that great.

  29. #29
    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Blu ray drives were MADE backward compatible by adding a second laser. It is not inherently backward compatible. HD DVD drives were backward compatible with DVD, as they used the same laser. Then it's just a matter of decoding the mpeg2. Blu Rays and HDDVD use H.264 and VC-1 for compression so mpeg2 had to be included to decode DVDs. Anyone upgrading to Windows 8 may have noticed that DVD movies no longer work unless you add an Mpeg2 decoder, because Microsoft has dropped support.

    Backward compatibility is not worth the money for most companies, the reason being that you either have to emulate the old hardware in software, which results in a lot of technical issues or you have to include hardware that will allow old games to play natively on the new console, which increases the price of the console. But most people buying the new console won't play old games on it, and there's no financial updside for the hardware maker. Developers don't want to have to support old games on new consoles, so chances are some of those games won't play right anyway. I suggest just holding on to your old console to play those old games, so you get the exact experience that was intended.
    I can see where it's not profitable for the console makers to make if backwards compatible. I guess with the whole backwards compatibility issue can always be rectified through PC gaming. As long as it was either made for PC originally or if someone decides to port the games over. Still kind of suck though that they can't figure out a way to make games universal on a particular platform. Or maybe they will some day.

Similar Threads

  1. Common core
    By oucub23 in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 565
    Last Post: October 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
  2. What happened to our wr core
    By Sooner 1234 in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: September 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM
  3. Wisconsin's six core values
    By usaosooner in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: April 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM
  4. NCAA 2006 only old xbox NCAA game compatible with XBOX 360
    By Meni in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: October 11th, 2012, 03:27 AM
  5. Pack it up, pack it in. Let me begin.
    By McRib in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: July 18th, 2012, 08:05 AM