SI.com's Way-Too-Early 2013 Top 25

Posted 646 day(s) ago 1715 Views 22 Replies

Sports Illustrated SI.com's Way-Too-Early 2013 Top 25

Having top 25 polls now is obviously ridiculous, but it's the off-season so here it is.

A couple of funny quips:

Oklahoma Sooners
    2012 record: 10-3
    With four offensive linemen and their top two rushers (Damien Williams and Brennan Clay) returning, the Sooners should have little trouble moving the ball. Blake Bell will have to transition from Belldozer to Bellthrower, but he certainly appears capable. The defense is a bit of a mystery. The Sooners lose most of their defensive line, but given that group's performance last season, that might be a good thing. Safety Tony Jefferson entered the NFL draft, but cornerback Aaron Colvin returns.

Why this ranking could be too low: If Bell emerges as a star and some of the former four- and five-star recruits blossom on defense, the Sooners could be back among the nation's elite.

Why this ranking could be too high: The Big 12 as a whole is tough to project. TCU and Baylor could be major factors, and eventually Texas is going to put it all together.

Texas Longhorns
    2012 record: 9-4
    I know I have a section below for such things, but I'll come right out and say it: I'm probably vastly underrating the Longhorns. Given the amount of quality players they return on offense and defense, they should compete for the Big 12 title and maybe even the national title. But I need to see it on the field. Since 2010, the Longhorns simply haven't lived up to their preseason billing. Until they prove differently, this is still the group that lost to TCU at home, got smoked by Oklahoma in Dallas and played porous defense against the run. The record will need to reflect the talent for the ranking to rise.

Why this ranking could be too low: A three-headed monster at tailback. A defense that has to get better after a bad year that seems like an anomaly. Why do I get the feeling Texas fans will be e-mailing me links to this column when their team cracks the top five?

Why this ranking could be too high: Because games aren't played on paper. Sometimes they're played in Dallas during the Texas State Fair.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...?sct=hp_t11_a2
    8 users like Snorter Luster Jr.'s post: Anglachel, cscsooner, Futbol7, OUfootball, Sooner_117, soonirvana, sOUltrain65, StiffArmTrophy

Fair enough

Originally Posted by Snorter Luster Jr. View Post
    Why this ranking could be too high: Because games aren't played on paper. Sometimes they're played in Dallas during the Texas State Fair.
    THIS
    2 users like Gary Manilow's post: Dr Sleep, soonerintn

Andy Staples is obviously in bed with Oklahoma. dont know how he puts them at number 13 after they get clobbered by number 9 A&M and then loose their starting quarterback while Texas is replacing no one. granted Texas has under performed the past two years but with all the players coming back another sub 10 win season is not likely. and to also have NIU ranked instead of OSU is blasphemy. OSU is also replacing no one along with bringing in a strong class. Andy Staples is retarted.

Originally Posted by Gundy's Lettuce View Post
    Andy Staples is obviously in bed with Oklahoma. dont know how he puts them at number 13 after they get clobbered by number 9 A&M and then loose their starting quarterback while Texas is replacing no one. granted Texas has under performed the past two years but with all the players coming back another sub 10 win season is not likely. and to also have NIU ranked instead of OSU is blasphemy. OSU is also replacing no one along with bringing in a strong class. Andy Staples is retarted.
    Right...... Cause replacing a QB has been such a problem for us over the years. In fact it's been so hard for us to replace a QB that after 2002 White beat you, then Bomar, Thompson, Bradford, and Landry. Five QBs we replaced from your win in 2002 - 2011. Not worried.

Oh, the delicious irony.
    6 users like Snorter Luster Jr.'s post: bushmaster06, LVSOONER15, OUMallen, sovasooner, Stein7495, thurman murman

*D
    *nine
    *lose
    *G
    *under-performed
    *sub-ten
    *A
    *retarded...as in 'Gundy's Lettuce' is retarded.

...and yes I know she is a troll....

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post

*D
    *nine
    *lose
    *G
    *under-performed
    *sub-ten
    *A

...and yes I know she is a troll....
    Why "nine" but not "thirteen"?
    Don't.

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Don't.
    My wife said so....

Ah, then she is right. Except that she is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post

Never insult the lettuce

People that spell the word "Lose" with an added "O" as in "Loose" are ****ing retarded and have no credibility.

Gundy Lettuce you have loose butthole because you are a loser ok state fan and when you lose you wear orange. Good day.
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Don't.
    Because grammatically speaking, I think you are suppose to spell out numbers from one to twelve if they aren't used in a series of numbers. 13 is the first number you can write as an actual number when not in a series of numbers.

The SI.com rank is way too high. Too many question marks, especially on D, and we should no longer be given the benefit of the doubt. I'd put us at about 18 or so until we can prove ourselves again.

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
    when you lose you wear orange.
    As opposed to what....crimson??

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    The SI.com rank is way too high. Too many question marks, especially on D, and we should no longer be given the benefit of the doubt. I'd put us at about 18 or so until we can prove ourselves again.
    I was thinking you spelled out one to ten... everything after can be written/typed as a number... But I agree with your assertion that Gundy's Lettuce is retarded.

One response on UT....QUARTERBACK!!!! Sucks...

OU booster but think we are placed a little high up in the phantom poll. But in most recently we've been placed better than we really were . Maybe better to claw our way up and catch some teams by surprise than be overrated.

Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    I was thinking you spelled out one to ten... everything after can be written/typed as a number... But I agree with your assertion that Gundy's Lettuce is retarded.
    Chicago style says spell 1-99, but that's one style.

Yeah, let's base everything on one game where ATM might have been the best team by season's end. Regardless of what Alabama did to ND, Manziel would still run and throw all over Alabama's defense. They couldn't handle him either.

I don't really have a problem with these rankings. If Bell plays well, we'll have one of the better offenses in the country. And even if the defense doesn't develop, we won't be any worse than anyone else in the Big 12 (with the possible exception of TCU). We have a bye week before going to Notre Dame. We get TCU at home. And a bye week before we go shoot it out with Baylor and another bye before we go to OSU. A #13 ranking just assumes we finish with two regular season losses. That's probably fair.

OSU is underrated here.

The Pokes have an even more favorable schedule than we do. Bye week before TCU at home. Bye week before OU at home. Baylor at home, too. If they beat a pretty overrated Mississippi St. team to start the season, they'll move into the Top 20 (SEC win) and have a pretty clear path upward in the polls. At Texas might be their toughest test away from Stillwater, but if not for a bad officiating call last year, they'd have 3 straight against the Longhorns. As it is, they've won two straight in Austin already.

Listen up "Gundy's tossing salad" or whatever your name is... osu sucks no matter what. Get over it.