TruGreen- Does it work?

Posted 556 day(s) ago 2662 Views 44 Replies
    vCash

TruGreen- Does it work?

Any reviews on the TruGreen law service? Does it keep weeds from growing?

vCash

We've been pleased with our TruGreen service. Going on our third year now.

We just have them do our front yard and you can see a difference.

TruGreen- Does it work?

It works. It's not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    It works. It's not cheap.

Depends on the definition of cheap. I use them. They come out 6 times a year and its $70.36 per visit. I consider that pretty cheap. And it works. My yard is weed free.

vCash

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post
    Depends on the definition of cheap. I use them. They come out 6 times a year and its $70.36 per visit. I consider that pretty cheap. And it works. My yard is weed free.
    Yep . . . we also have them aerate our yard for a little more.

vCash

I feel like a big enough loser that I don't even mow my own yard, let me at least keep the fertilizing duties.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Yep . . . we also have them aerate our yard for a little more.
    I have moles that do that for me.
    2 users like QRISooner's post: IndySooner, Sooner Bob

Thats $420 for one season. Do it yourself is cheaper, it's just not easier.

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    It was a waste of money when we first got it. We cancelled our service and I guess there was a shakeup and a lot of people were fired (apparently, we weren't the only ones that cancelled.) The new guy that called us was really helpful and apologetic, and tried several times to get us to let him come back and have the yard for another season. When we told him why we cancelled, he apologized profusely and said that our complaints were valid and the person before him should have done more. We declined--we're considering picking it back up this year though.

Pricey. Had them here and one year it would work and one year there would be weeds. I'm paying that much money there should never been weeds. Plus they said what they put on the lawn didn't kill "Dallis" grass. I'm know expert looks like about 6 inch tall similar to wheat. Said nothing will kill that and that's what I had all over my yard.

In the end; I quit the service and my lawn looks like crap. PLUS if you pay for them to come out now they are going to tell you that you're going to get weeds because you didn't lay down stuff in the fall.

vCash

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    Thats $420 for one season. Do it yourself is cheaper, it's just not easier.
    Yes, a little cheaper. Just think, if I saved that $420/year and invested it for 10 years........I could retire a few months early.

Re: TruGreen- Does it work?

How big is your yard? Are they doing both front and back?

We find it very effective at soaking up a bit of cash. I haven't been impressed.

vCash

used them for 2 years. first year they came like 6 times. no weeds. i said, why not come less often. and last year they came out only 3 times. still no weeds.

vCash

Originally Posted by dtex View Post
    used them for 2 years. first year they came like 6 times. no weeds. i said, why not come less often. and last year they came out only 3 times. still no weeds.
    I may go for this. We're in a new house and we want to keep the lawn looking good, for once. With the warmish winder, weeds have started to pop up in the grass, which is mostly dormant at this point

My HOA fertilizes the front anyway, but I'm worried the weeds will go nuts in the spring. We have a pretty tiny yard, too, so hopefully it won't be too expensive.

i hear they shovel alot of manure....

vCash

I have a St. Augustine lawn. Never had a weed.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

vCash

I may go for this. We're in a new house and we want to keep the lawn looking good, for once. With the warmish winder, weeds have started to pop up in the grass, which is mostly dormant at this point

My HOA fertilizes the front anyway, but I'm worried the weeds will go nuts in the spring. We have a pretty tiny yard, too, so hopefully it won't be too expensive.
    My house is on a 1/2 acre and it costs me about $12 and 30 minutes to do it myself each time compared to close to $100 to have someone else do it.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

vCash

PM.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

vCash

When I was in HS I worked briefly for them ... Honestly you could do yourself to your own lawn what we did in like 30 minutes a every other week fwiw

Anyways IMO it works as you could 9 out of 10 times tell which was a yard we worked on compared to the neighbors but the amount of work put in for that $70.36/month or $70.36/bi-weekly is absurd TBH

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III
    vCash

Amateurs...
    3 users like SoCaliSooner's post: DRLSooner, jdmt37, smokeeater

vCash

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    When I was in HS I worked briefly for them ... Honestly you could do yourself to your own lawn what we did in like 30 minutes a every other week fwiw

Anyways IMO it works as you could 9 out of 10 times tell which was a yard we worked on compared to the neighbors but the amount of work put in for that $70.36/month or $70.36/bi-weekly is absurd TBH
    I'll pay you 25$ to come over and do mine.

vCash

My next door neighbor has had that service for several years now, and I play catch-up to make my lawn look as good as his. His greens earlier, stays green later, and is weed free. I'd probably recommend...

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I'll pay you 25$ to come over and do mine.
    Hah if I could use TruGreen's equipment + product it would be an easy ass $25
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

I tried them and thought they sucked. Tried lawn America after someone on this site recommended them and have been pleased. They come 4 times a year and spot treatment as requested. $45 for a normal visit, $15 for spot. Cheaper than all the chemicals I was buying.

vCash

TruGreen- Does it work?

Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    My house is on a 1/2 acre and it costs me about $12 and 30 minutes to do it myself each time compared to close to $100 to have someone else do it.
    So, what should we use? Is the pre-emergent different than the springtime application?

vCash

So, what should we use? Is the pre-emergent different than the springtime application?
    I'm not an expert but have one of the prettiest lawns in the neighborhood. I just go ask the people at Home Depot or a local indy plant and garden center questions that I may have, such as what to do for a type of weed that pops up, etc. They're able to answer most questions. I also believe that Scott's products work best for my lawn and have been using them for 15 years, and yes the springtime stuff is different than the fall fertilizer that I apply. Fertilize often, nitrogen to green it up, a general weed and feed for most weeds, and if I get a weed patch that's a bit stubborn, like one under a tree that birds may have caused by dropping seeds, I'll spray. When I see grubs I put some of that shit down too.

vCash

A few years ago I had TruGreen leave a hanger on my door. I called and set up a time for them to come take a look and they never showed up. I called Scotts and got a bit of a deal because I was coming from a competitor (more or less). I used Scotts until we sold the house. I never had them aerate or anything like that. They just sprayed a few times a year. My weeds were gone. If I ever saw a weed, I would call and they would come out. I had a beautiful lawn for the time that I had Scotts. I was very pleased with them.

Yes.

Simazine or Atrizine in the fall for bermuda lawns (it will stunt or kill fescue)
    Pendamethlyn or Prodiamine in the spring.

Mix with Trimec or Triplet, spring and fall to kill weeds that are already germinated.

Water thoroughly the day after application.
    The following users like this post: SoCaliSooner

vCash

Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
    Yes.

Simazine or Atrizine in the fall for bermuda lawns (it will stunt or kill fescue)

Mix with Trimec or Triplet, spring and fall to kill weeds that are already germinated.

Listen to this man...

TruGreen- Does it work?

Yes.

Probably kills cats too!

TruGreen sucks and are too expensive. Get a local company that someone really likes that you know.
    2 users like Sponge's post: Lake_Bum, OU48A

vCash

vCash

PM Soonerprices, or just rock / pave it.

vCash

Yes.

We're the opposite out here. Most turf lawns are fescue and we use Fusilade to control any bermuda that gets into the fescue.

My guys just thatched, aerated and over seeded a fescue lawn that's about 10,000 square feet just last week. We put down some poly coated 43-0-0 to give the turf some "pop" and within a week it already looks good.

Trimec is a must along with Quincept for broadleaf control. It's relatively inexpensive to spray/fertilize your own place. I actually enjoy it.

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    We're the opposite out here. Most turf lawns are fescue and we use Fusilade to control any bermuda that gets into the fescue.

My guys just thatched, aerated and over seeded a fescue lawn that's about 10,000 square feet just last week. We put down some poly coated 43-0-0 to give the turf some "pop" and within a week it already looks good.

Trimec is a must along with Quincept for broadleaf control. It's relatively inexpensive to spray/fertilize your own place. I actually enjoy it.
    Is that Sponges house?

Idiot Question: I have a lawn that has everything. Bermuda, St. Augustine, etc. What do I need to do? (Besides give up.)

vCash

I used their service for a few years. I'm super tight with money for no reason and after a few threads like this popped up years ago on OUI, I started doing my own using the recommended chemicals. My yard was really rough before trugreen and they definitely made it look good, so their service was very effective for me. My yard is much bigger now and since I am spending a shit load of time mowing and all that, I just do the rest of it too.

vCash

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    How big is your yard? Are they doing both front and back?
    0.50 acre, less a 2700 sq foot house. Yes, they do front and back.

vCash

When grass is dormant you can use Roundup to kill any weed...(possibly not nut grass, triangular stalk)

Use a pre emergent 3 or 4 time a year and you will have very few, if any, weeds...

vCash

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I have a St. Augustine lawn. Never had a weed.
    You probably actually have Raleigh St Augustine...it is much more tolerant of St Augustine decline and brown patch...

vCash

Originally Posted by LHSooner View Post
    Idiot Question: I have a lawn that has everything. Bermuda, St. Augustine, etc. What do I need to do? (Besides give up.)
    If you want to keep the Bermuda you can mow the lawn at a low setting and it will slowly kill off the St Augustine...also, broad leaf weed killers with Dicamba will kill St A but not the Bermuda...

if you want to keep the St Augustine mow high and let the St Augustine shade out the Bermuda...there are supposedly herbicides that will kill Bermuda but not St A...I don't know of a product name off hand...

vCash

A year ago I took bids and found a mom and pop lawn spray that was the cheapest. They did a very good job. I was weed free on a windy corner lot.
    However in an effort to save money I have cut back to 3 times a year when they will spray pre-emergent.
    With the money I save I can easily pay for the fertilizer and a small amount of weed killer.
    I will have money left over and have more control over the times of the applications.

vCash

Originally Posted by dtex View Post
    This is the point I would make as well. They'll tell you six applications is required, THAT AIN'T TRUE

And they'll markup fertilization about 300% what it would cost to do it yourself. 'Spiz' is perfect for most soil/grass in Oklahoma, two or three applications a year. It's 'moisture-released', not time-released, so it won't burn in the heat of summer

vCash

Preemergent three or four times a year...

Fertilize monthly with a balanced(3/1/2 or 4/1/2), time release fertilizer