The Flu...who's had it and how bad...

Posted 637 day(s) ago 1103 Views 49 Replies

Am hearing of how bad this flu season has been across the US. Am right now on a plane between Dallas and San Francisco with people hacking and sneezing like crazy, so my flu-less days may be numbered.

Curious to hear from those who have experienced the flu this season....

How bad? How long were you out of commission?

Discuss.

I got my flu shot 12/20 and got the flu on 12/27. For the next week I was pretty much out of commission. Never had much of a fever(1.5) and didn't throw up. I just didn't get out of bed that whole time. The next week I was functional but still tired and ciughing and stuffed up. Now, 2 1/2 weeks later I feel better but am still blowing out some gunk. Add in a broken tooth/crown for that first week and i was just peachy.

Now my daughter, on the other hand, got some sort of stomach flu and threw up for 2-3 and is fine. Go figure.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I got my flu shot 12/20 and got the flu on 12/27. For the next week I was pretty much out of commission. Never had much of a fever(1.5) and didn't throw up. I just didn't get out of bed that whole time. The next week I was functional but still tired and ciughing and stuffed up. Now, 2 1/2 weeks later I feel better but am still blowing out some gunk. Add in a broken tooth/crown for that first week and i was just peachy.

Now my daughter, on the other hand, got some sort of stomach flu and threw up for 2-3 and is fine. Go figure.
    Kids are bad asses and adults are pussies.
    2 users like mexican/ninja's post: COLLISON ANGRY, oucub23

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    No kidding...all that shit they pass around to each other at school helps with the immune system.

I had flu and walking pneumonia with fever of 104 early December; missed 3 days of work. Any ****er sneezing/coughing and tells you it's allergies is full of shit.

Originally Posted by tfoolry View Post
    I had flu and walking pneumonia with fever of 104 early December; missed 3 days of work. Any ****er sneezing/coughing and tells you it's allergies is full of shit.
    No shit....and how ****ing hard is it to cover ones mouth when a sneeze hits? I mean, for God's sake, man....we're in a ****ing tube. This airplane air is already a cesspool without some nasty sick **** tilting his head upward and sneezing for all passengers to enjoy.

Getting crises right now. Developed a cough last night. Completely beat down with back and LE pain this morning. Stomach issues this evening. This shit sucks.

Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    Getting crises right now. Developed a cough last night. Completely beat down with back and LE pain this morning. Stomach issues this evening. This shit sucks.
    I am shocked you did not have the best doctor in the state drop by for an in-house flu vac shot ... Truly shocked
    2 users like Irish_Sooner's post: MoJoOkie, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by FranksAndBeans View Post
    Am hearing of how bad this flu season has been across the US. Am right now on a plane between Dallas and San Francisco with people hacking and sneezing like crazy, so my flu-less days may be numbered.

Curious to hear from those who have experienced the flu this season....

How bad? How long were you out of commission?

Discuss.
    it was nice knowing you. we'll have fun at your wake though.

Ugh, that sounds awful. Sorry you're sick :-/

Haven't gotten sick yet but I know it'll probably happen at some point in the next couple of months. I hate that flu and cold season falls during a time of the year when it really sucks to get behind on my work.

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    I am shocked you did not have the best doctor in the state drop by for an in-house flu vac shot ... Truly shocked
    I figured he would have paid someone to get sick for him.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: Irish_Sooner, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    Well she's 22. And she's a huge baby when it comes to shit like that.

I have 20 high school kids on my team and 9 were out for 3 to 4 days last week and still have 1 out. We've weathered the storm to go 3-0 during that span with 2 starters missing four days of school. I hope that's the end of it.

had it, survived, 105 temp one night but worked all the way thru. I am a dental hygenist and don't make much so could not afford to take off.

Wife and kids had it last week, I am evidently too tough for the virus.

Re: The Flu...who's had it and how bad...

Hope you get well soon

The Dark Side

Had the stomach flu for the first time in my life about 4 weeks ago.

I sleep beside a 5 gallon bucket for 3 nights. I barfed into it 6 or 7 times one night.
    I barfed up 3 inches of puke into the 5 gallon bucket twice.

At one point I was sitting on the pot with massive diarrhea coming out and barfing into the bucket at the exact same moment.
    The toilet couldn’t fill up fast enough. I pulled stomach muscles that I didn’t know I had, they hurt for about a week.
    I had a 103 temp and a sinus infection during this too. It was bad man….Probably the worst I ever felt.
    It was about 2 weeks before I really felt back to normal.

When I finally did make it to the Doctor I was much better but my Doctor had the stomach flu too.
    I am really glad I chose not to go to the Cotton bowl this year.

Haven't been legit sick in like 4 years. Had little sinus problems, but no flu or other sickness. My antibodies kick ass, but I just know the boom is gonna drop some day...

Originally Posted by the_Mont View Post
    Haven't been legit sick in like 4 years. Had little sinus problems, but no flu or other sickness. My antibodies kick ass, but I just know the boom is gonna drop some day...
    Same here. I'll probably catch Ebola at some pt.
    The following users like this post: the_Mont

Originally Posted by willie View Post
    had it, survived, 105 temp one night but worked all the way thru. I am a dental hygenist and don't make much so could not afford to take off.
    That's good you had a 105 fever and were sticking your hands in people's mouths. <makes note to cancel dental appts for the next few weeks>
    4 users like oucub23's post: Aurora, Jenn and tonic, soonertravis, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Well she's 22. And she's a huge baby when it comes to shit like that.
    Pics or GTFO
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Had it for 4 days last week. Nausea, vomiting, etc. The worst we're the aches; it felt like I had been in a car wreck. Woke up Sunday completely drenched in sweat but the aches were gone. It was miserable.

Originally Posted by the_Mont View Post
    I'm like you. I've had flu only twice that I can remember in my adult life.

One of these days I expect I'll be able to post something like OU48A posted above (#18). Sounds like lots of fun.
    The following users like this post: the_Mont

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    I figured he would have paid someone to get sick for him.
    Not bad, gentlemen.

I have never received a flu shot. Never had the flu, so never really thought about it.

Yeah, that was a mistake. And by "that", I mean not paying the mowers to handle this flu for me.

My oldest had it over Christmas break . . . thankfully none of the rest of us caught it.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post

I sleep beside a 5 gallon bucket for 3 nights. I barfed into it 6 or 7 times one night.

At one point I was sitting on the pot with massive diarrhea coming out and barfing into the bucket at the exact same moment.
    The toilet couldn’t fill up fast enough. I pulled stomach muscles that I didn’t know I had, they hurt for about a week.
    I had a 103 temp and a sinus infection during this too. It was bad man….Probably the worst I ever felt.

When I finally did make it to the Doctor I was much better but my Doctor had the stomach flu too.
    That sounds more like food posioning than the flu. None of the people I know that have had it experienced symptoms like that.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

One of these days I expect I'll be able to post something like OU48A posted above (#18). Sounds like lots of fun.
    Trust me you don’t want to be able to make a post like mine!

They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
    After this experience, I don’t believe that’s always true.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by Stoopsies Pinkie View Post
    That sounds more like food posioning than the flu. None of the people I know that have had it experienced symptoms like that.
    At the time I wondered if food poisoning was a possibility.

My wife had a touch of whatever it was too, but not nearly as bad.

I assumed it was stomach flu because I had herd of others having it. I had guessed that I had it so bad because of my sinus infection and because of other underlying medical conditions.

But we did buy some fast food the night before where we both ate the exact same thing.
    We could have picked up the flu or been poisoned at that restaurant?

I had Flo. She wasn't bad

How much weight you lose?

Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
    How much weight you lose?
    Not real sure on the exact weight lost. After I stared feeling well enough to keep things down I drank several zero sports drinks and water. I weigh myself the next day and noticed that I weighed about 6 to 8 pounds less than normal.
    Since then I have gained about 4 pounds back, but I am trying to lose a few pounds.

I assumed it was stomach flu because I had herd of others having it. I had guessed that I had it so bad because of my sinus infection and because of other underlying medical conditions.

But we did buy some fast food the night before where we both ate the exact same thing.
    Most food bourne illnesses take 24 to 48 hours to make you sick, some up to 72 hours. You need to look back at what you ate up to 2 or 3 days earlier.
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

Currently at work with a fever. I love sweating, but being cold.

This is a great thread. It's wonderful reading about all you people puking and shitting. 5 stars!!!!

Threw up this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed

Most food bourne illnesses take 24 to 48 hours to make you sick, some up to 72 hours. You need to look back at what you ate up to 2 or 3 days earlier.
    That is usually the general rule I've used when conducting outbreak investigations in the past. But some can hit you much sooner than that though . . .

One of the grade schools here in Duncan has been shut down for the next two days because of so many sick kids.

Ok thanks. I didn’t know what the time line was on somthing like this.
    I can’t remember everything I ate 4 weeks ago, but I did violate my rule of not eating anything away from the house during cold and flu season that’s uncooked. I won’t violate that rule again!

Ok thanks. I didn’t know what the time line was on somthing like this.
    I can’t remember everything I ate 4 weeks ago, but I did violate my rule of not eating anything away from the house during cold and flu season that’s uncooked. I won’t violate that rule again!
    People sneeze on cooked food too. I think you'd be doing more for yourself if you just didn't go to the dentist. Infected hygienists can kill you.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

same here.....
    i was sick alot as a kid.....rarely get sick as an adult...
    i may have had the flu once in 20-30 years...
    but i only go out in public one day a week

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    same here.....
    i was sick alot as a kid.....rarely get sick as an adult...
    i may have had the flu once in 20-30 years...
    but i only go out in public one day a week
    What about Wednesday night?

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    That is usually the general rule I've used when conducting outbreak investigations in the past. But some can hit you much sooner than that though . . .
    You conduct outbreak investigations? Have you seen Contagion?

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    I could feel it coming on for several hours before, but it was about 20 hours after I ate at the restaurant in question until I was good and sick. It was only about 12 to 14 hours for my wife.

What about Wednesday night?
    what about it?

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    People sneeze on cooked food too. I think you'd be doing more for yourself if you just didn't go to the dentist. Infected hygienists can kill you.
    Thankfully most wear gloves and mask these days…. At least mine do. I had a root canal done about a year ago. The Dentist doing it made me wear safety glassed.
    In contrast..... when I was a kid (1965) I busted my chin requiring 7 stitches. The only doctor available was about 75 years old. The entire town knew he couldn’t see to drive, including me at that young age. He stood over me while smoking a camel cigarette. An image I will never forget.

Thought I was over this last night. Now at the doctors office bc my chest feels like there is a knife wedged in it. This sickness? It is motherfucker.

Originally Posted by willie View Post
    So did you sneeze down your patients throat?

Most likely Norovirus, not food borne illness.