Video Games Breed Killers!!!!

Posted 674 day(s) ago by AcousticSoup4179 Views 173 Replies
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    Those were sociopath/psychopaths. Look at how they were raised. Did they have a violent, abusive childhood? Did they see a lot of violence as a kid?

Can you say without a shadow of a doubt that the games today aren't creating people like them?
    I would say encouraging instead of creating. The environment creates.

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    Do you propose tougher laws on video game content to cure the problem? Do you really think doing that'll fix it? There's some suits up in Washington that want exactly that.
    No. But why not Tougher laws on access to these games and violent content by kids?

Gun owners are being called/forced upon to sacrifice their rights "for the kids." Why aren't video game developers and Hollywood being called/forced upon to do the same thing? They have a much greater influence on society than a gun does.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    I would say encouraging instead of creating. The environment creates.
    And If the kid's environment is 8 plus hours a day, everyday, playing these games and watching violence on TV along with a lack of proper parenting?

You'll never take my violent video games away from me because of the 1% of people out there that are adversely affected by them.
    Now you know how gun owners feel.

No. But why not Tougher laws on access to these games and violent content by kids?

Gun owners are being called/forced upon to sacrifice their rights "for the kids." Why aren't video game developers and Hollywood being called/forced upon to do the same thing? They have a much greater influence on society than a gun does.
    Because you are depending on a Walmart employee who makes $8.50/hour to enforce them.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I can categorically say that blaming video games for violent behavior is at best lazy, and at worst, stupid and ill-informed.

I'm totally fine with that. These games do have ratings, but I guess places like Best Buy and Game Stop ignore those ratings when selling to underage kids?

I'm not for taking away guns from gun owners either. It won't solve that problem.

Now you know how gun owners feel.

Well said.

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Because you are depending on a Walmart employee who makes $8.50/hour to enforce them.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I can categorically say that blaming video games for violent behavior is at best lazy, and at worst, stupid and ill-informed.

Here's are two good articles by Lt. Co. Dave Grossman. They are long but well worth the read.

http://killology.com/print/print_teachkid.htm

http://killology.com/print/print_trainedtokill.htm
    It's interesting he doesn't mention that Michael Carneal was paranoid schizophrenic who thought he was being watched all the time and was bullied. He also doesn't mention that the game that he played was Doom. A game where you're literally running in a straight line, shooting hell demons with a plasma gun, apparently made this kid a sharpshooter. Awesome.

I've never shot a gun, but my 20 years plus of playing violent videogames should make me an expert marksman, I guess.

Exactly, and it's also the same "placebo" effect that will come from changing gun laws. So we make it harder to get assault style rifles, and 30-rd mags, and change up a few rules about gunshows and background checks. It's not going to stop any gun violence, but the "masses" will be appeased for a while.

When I was younger I played with radio controlled cars that were gas powered, plinked with my BB gun, ride a motorcycle, skateboard, hit on chics and played show me yours and I'll show you mine, played outside in the night hiding from cars driving by, reading comics, reading dads skin mags, drawing, painting, reading, jacking off, and sneaking into the movies.

Nothing has changed.

That same employee can make sure a background check is done before a gun is bought or ID for beer or cigs, but not a game?

Either quit denying that violent games and media have an effect on young minds or quit putting ratings on games and media.

My mind was young once and I played lots of violent video games. Now come get in my TV box so I can bury you in it.

Either quit denying that violent games and media have an effect on young minds or quit putting ratings on games and media.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

My mind was young once and I played lots of violent video games. Now come get in my TV box so I can bury you in it.
    You grew up to be a Poke, and you say there was no adverse effect?

Oh, and I eat pizza and I'm not fat.

I have to agree with you. I play BLOPS II (meh game) online and the violent banter and threats that goes back and forth are amazing. I think most kids these days have an addictive behavior and violent video games are both a precursor and an outlet for their violent behavior. Parents are mostly to blame due to they don't care or don't have the education—or common sense—to recognize addictive and obsessive behavior.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2011/...crystian_r.php

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008...ot_dad_ov.html

http://kotaku.com/279272/teen-killed...ver-video-game

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne...shakes_baby_to

We're having a real conversation here. Please don't bring up semantics. You eat pizza too? At least you've got one thing going for you.

You grew up to be a Poke, and you say there was no adverse effect?

Oh, and I eat pizza and I'm not fat.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

That same employee can make sure a background check is done before a gun is bought or ID for beer or cigs, but not a game?

True, but are we going to go to the lengths for video games that we do for ATF? If a clerk at Circle K gets busted selling smokes or beer to a minor, there's a huge fine, penalties, etc. Are we really going to go through the trouble of setting up and enforcing those same types of laws...for friggin video games?

I don't necessarily think it's that black or white on the labeling. I think the ratings are on the games because someone made them put them on there, not because the makers believe that their product is responsible. I just think it's easier to point to something like GTA or COD and blame it than it is to address the real problem, which IMO is the epidemic level of shitty parenting we have going on right now in the US.
    3 users like drumhead23us's post: OrangeBlossom, SoonerBeerSnob, soonerbornsoonerbrett

Well said again.

True, but are we going to go to the lengths for video games that we do for ATF? If a clerk at Circle K gets busted selling smokes or beer to a minor, there's a huge fine, penalties, etc. Are we really going to go through the trouble of setting up and enforcing those same types of laws...for friggin video games?

I don't necessarily think it's that black or white on the labeling. I think the ratings are on the games because someone made them put them on there, not because the makers believe that their product is responsible. I just think it's easier to point to something like GTA or COD and blame it than it is to address the real problem, which IMO is the epidemic level of shitty parenting we have going on right now in the US.

read the articles I posted and about Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and see if you think he's lazy, stupid and ill-informed.

I'd say they have more to do with violent behavior than a scary looking rifle does. A rifle doesn't cause violent behavior but it is rarely used as a tool to commit violence. So are knives, hammers, baseball bats, cars, etc.,

read the articles I posted and about Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and see if you think he's lazy, stupid and ill-informed.

I'd say they have more to do with violent behavior than a scary looking rifle does. A rifle doesn't cause violent behavior but it is rarely used as a tool to commit violence. So are knives, hammers, baseball bats, cars, etc.,
    Don't confuse correlation with causation.

And in the breakdown of parenting, what do parents use as a means to babysit their kids, or use to be the "cool" parent to their kid? Denying that violent media doesn't have an effect on kids is just as irresponsible as denying that shitty parenting has any blame. They both contribute to the problem.

Come and pry my Skyrim, COD, Dantes Inferno, Dishonored, Dead Island, Far Cry 3 and DmC from my cold dead hands.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Don't confuse correlation with causation.
    Tell that everybody in Washington who wants to ban guns.

Come and pry my Skyrim, COD, Dantes Inferno, Dishonored, Dead Island, Far Cry 3 and DmC from my cold dead hands.
    Ooo! How is Dishonored? Been thinking about picking that up... after I go kill a bunch of people because of the games I play.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob

Are you an adult? Do you have any kids? If so, would you let them play those games?

Nobody is suggesting taking away, or limiting access to games from adults.

You should move to Washington. You want to ban violent video games.

Tell that everybody in Washington who wants to ban guns.

No I wouldn't. I was raised by responsible parents and in turn would do the same. This is a sorely lacking reality in our society today and the video games are not the problem. Blaming the video games is nothing more than a scapegoat. What do we do if those who shouldn't sell violent video games to impressionable youths, still sell them. Or what do we do if irresponsible parents buy them for their kids and let them play them?

Are you an adult? Do you have any kids? If so, would you let them play those games?

Nobody is suggesting taking away, or limiting access to games for adults.

You should move to Washington. You want to ban violent video games.
    I do? Please show me where I have said that.

Nobody is suggesting taking away, or limiting access to games from adults.
    The problem with this is the adults buying these games for their kids. Back to shitty parenting.
    2 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: SiggyPoke, SoonerBeerSnob

What you're proposing isn't going to happen. So the only other solution is to ban the creation and distribution of them all together.

I do? Please show me where I have said that.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    The problem with this is the adults buying these games for their kids. Back to shitty parenting.
    Sure it is. Parents buy their kids alcohol and cigarettes as well. The violent video games and media cause major problems with the undeveloped mind. There are lots and lots of studies out there that say so. Like I said, to deny the effect violent media as on the undeveloped mind is no different than denying that shitty parenting is not a cause to the problem. They both are.

Kids need to ****ing go outside and play.
    3 users like barlowd's post: Mississippi Sooner, SiggyPoke, smot poker

So what do you propose doing about it? Watch the Walmart employee closely to make sure they don't sell a copy of COD to an 8 year old? Camp out in a family's house to make sure the parents don't let their 8 year old kid play COD?

Sure it is. Parents buy their kids alcohol and cigarettes as well. The violent video games and media cause major problems with the undeveloped mind. There are lots and lots of studies out there that say so. Like I said, to deny the effect violent media as on the undeveloped mind is no different than denying that shitty parenting is not a cause to the problem. They both are.

So what do you propose doing about it? Watch the Walmart employee closely to make sure they don't sell a copy of COD to an 8 year old? Camp out in a family's house to make sure the parents don't let their 8 year old kid play COD?

That is the problem. There is no way to police this. Taking personal responsibility is the only answer.
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Agreed, but to some there is a way to police it. Simply cut the head off the snake and to hell with the other 99%.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    That is the problem. There is no way to police this. Taking personal responsibility is the only answer.

And in the breakdown of parenting, what do parents use as a means to babysit their kids, or use to be the "cool" parent to their kid? Denying that violent media doesn't have an effect on kids is just as irresponsible as denying that shitty parenting has any blame. They both contribute to the problem.
    Hey, I didn't say it would be easy, and I can start to speak from personal experience as my own kid gets a little older. I'm not suggesting that the parents take away the games altogether - forbidden fruit is always the sweetest. I'm saying they need to be present. Know what your kid is playing/watching on tv/listening to on his ipod. Be there for your kid to explain what's fantasy and what's reality. Have an interest in how your kid's day went at school. Just PAY ATTENTION to your kid and a lot this probably goes away.

Yes, I think video games do play a role, but the role I think they play is small. I think kids, hell adults too, are desensitized and of course the hyper-violent video games are part of that landscape. I can't help but come back to the fact that people have been blaming media for tragedies for a long time now, and it's never really stuck in a meaningful way yet.

I personally think our media does far more to damage society than any video game could possible hope to. And that media is absorbed by both adults and children.

Hey, I didn't say it would be easy, and I can start to speak from personal experience as my own kid gets a little older. I'm not suggesting that the parents take away the games altogether - forbidden fruit is always the sweetest. I'm saying they need to be present. Know what your kid is playing/watching on tv/listening to on his ipod. Be there for your kid to explain what's fantasy and what's reality. Have an interest in how your kid's day went at school. Just PAY ATTENTION to your kid and a lot this probably goes away.

Yes, I think video games do play a role, but the role I think they play is small. I think kids, hell adults too, are desensitized and of course the hyper-violent video games are part of that landscape. I can't help but come back to the fact that people have been blaming media for tragedies for a long time now, and it's never really stuck in a meaningful way yet.

Not trying to assign blame here. Denying that it has an effect though is naive, and can easily lead to bad choices by parents. If we didn't acknowledge that cigarettes are bad for people, the incidence of usage would be markedly higher. By denying that games or movies have any effect, we are doing the same thing. Why is someone a bad parent that lets their 7 year old play blops or watch TCM for several hours a day if those things have no effect?

It sounds like you are. Ban the video games!

Not trying to assign blame here. Denying that it has an effect though is naive, and can easily lead to bad choices by parents. If we didn't acknowledge that cigarettes are bad for people, the incidence of usage would be markedly higher. By denying that games or movies have any effect, we are doing the same thing. Why is someone a bad parent that lets their 7 year old play blops or watch TCM for several hours a day if those things have no effect?

I think it's one thing to say they have an effect, and quite another to say they turn people into homicidal maniacs all on their own.

I used to play "war" outside when I was a kid with fake guns with other neighborhood kids. None of us did anything crazy.
    The following users like this post: The

Ban fake guns and neighborhood war! Ban drinking from the water hose!

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    I used to play "war" outside when I was a kid with fake guns with other neighborhood kids. None of us did anything crazy.

Ban fake guns and neighborhood war! Ban drinking from the water hose!
    I guess we better ban water balloon fights as well

My kid is outside trying to whac a mole. Damn video games!!!!

We sure should! Cut the head off the snake quick! It's the easiest way to not really fix the problem.

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    I guess we better ban water balloon fights as well

You'd better get out there and stop them now, you irresponsible parent you. Because if you don't do anything about it, the government will.

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    My kid is outside trying to whac a mole. Damn video games!!!!

It sounds like you are. Ban the video games!
    It's interesting you think that I'm saying that when I've repeatedly said that I'm not saying that.

I think it's one thing to say they have an effect, and quite another to say they turn people into homicidal maniacs all on their own.
    I've never said that either. What I have said, repeatedly, is that they are a contributing factor today. They are by no means the zero point for these occurrences, but violent media intake does influence behavior.

If not, what is another option?

It's interesting you think that I'm saying that when I've repeatedly said that I'm not saying that.

If not, what is another option?
    Honestly, at this point, PSA's showing that there can be harm done would probably be effective. We are so knotted up in saying there is no harm that many parents honestly don't know that there is harm, or at least risk.