Norvell to Bears? No he is staying

Posted 455 day(s) ago by OUsooners19829509 Views 110 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    vCash

Bob's wife's brother is looking to get into coaching.... he has been a fireman for 3 yr and knows coaching he says. Bob thinks he will be a good fit, because he knows people and is confident in his ability. SARCASM!

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    Bob's wife's brother is looking to get into coaching.... he has been a fireman for 3 yr and knows coaching he says. Bob thinks he will be a good fit, because he knows people and is confident in his ability. SARCASM!
    Ron Stoops Jr needs a job.

I shit you not.

vCash

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Since when have you guys started taking Hale's word as gospel?
    He did break the Jaz Renoylds, Trey Franks, Quentin Hayes, and the now long gone Kameel Jackson being suspended well before the other members of the local media picked up on it.

vCash

Dump or demote Josh. Promote Norvell. Make him an associate head coach or 2nd in command instead of Mike. Seems to be the most solid assistant on Bob's staff.
    The following users like this post: Cabbage_town_kid

vCash

Norvell to Bears?

#2 offensive coach is always the most popular guy on our staff.
    The following users like this post: cccasooner2

vCash

I just saw Norvell leaving the Sears Tower in Chicago and he was not wearing an OU coat. I think he was heading to Geno's East to get some pizza, then tour the Field Museum before taking a boat ride on Lake Michigan. After that, he will be visiting The House of Blues and staying in the Drake Hotel for the night..............

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    #2 offensive coach is always the most popular guy on our staff.
    But the #2 guys isn't always the most qualified for a position. In this case he was more qualified.

vCash

Norvell to Bears?

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    But the #2 guys isn't always the most qualified for a position. In this case he was more qualified.
    To call plays? Check out his UCLA "success".

Originally Posted by Slobber View Post
    I just saw Norvell leaving the Sears Tower in Chicago and he was not wearing an OU coat. I think he was heading to Geno's East to get some pizza, then tour the Field Museum before taking a boat ride on Lake Michigan. After that, he will be visiting The House of Blues and staying in the Drake Hotel for the night..............
    Have had a soft spot in my heart for Chicago since 1963 and a bullet hole in my shoulder since......

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    To call plays? Check out his UCLA "success".
    Not his fault. They were down to their 4th string QB by the end of that season.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    He did break the Jaz Renoylds, Trey Franks, Quentin Hayes, and the now long gone Kameel Jackson being suspended well before the other members of the local media picked up on it.
    True, but he's rarely right on this stuff.

Since when do we start freaking out when assistant coaches leave? Norvell's history is to not stay too long at any place. It would be nice if he could take Patton and Kittle with him in a package deal though.
    2 users like OldSooner's post: ab5sr, IndySooner

vCash

Not Safe For Work
    3 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: BMR, lauderdaleOU, The

Last edited by drumhead23us; January 24th, 2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: man butt

Bring back Chuck Long and Darrell Wyatt, we're golden.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by soonerker View Post
    Not sure I get the meltdown. Everyone complains that we keep missing out on the 5* WR recruits. Do WRs get better over time? Was stills better his junior year than his freshman year (or did he just have more opportunities)? What happened to Metoyer? We have no idea how game planning works on this team. maybe he is the one who is keeping millard off the field? So to sum up...he can't land the top WR recruits and players don't get better over time...working for the bears is a great opportunity! (this is using the usual logic found on this board and may or may not reflect my own opinion).
    just leave.

vCash

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    Bring back Chuck Long and Darrell Wyatt, we're golden.
    I will take Norvell over Wyatt though Wyatt did a damn good job while he was here.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I will take Norvell over Wyatt though Wyatt did a damn good job while he was here.
    Me too but assuming Norvell's gone, Wyatt isn't a bad option. I doubt we could get him out of burnt orange though. I know people hate Long as well but I'll argue with a Rose Bowl trophy and back to back national title game appearances.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

vCash

Me too but assuming Norvell's gone, Wyatt isn't a bad option. I doubt we could get him out of burnt orange though. I know people hate Long as well but I'll argue with a Rose Bowl trophy and back to back national title game appearances.
    He's not a beast out on the recruiting trail like Jay is. but he can coach and develop WR's. Hell, look what he did with guys like Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones, and Mark Bradley as examples of his ability.

vCash

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    Gundy is not too shabby himself.
    Matter of opinion.

This is the beginning of the end and I can't figure out how I feel about it.

I am a bears fan and the only position trestman hasn't filled is wr coach. Thats not a good move for Norvell. He is a co-OC with OU and one more shitty year of play calling from heupal and he can remove the co from his title. That job with the bears won't come with any responsibility. Trestman will be the OC and running the offense from center out. Norvell will have no input at any level. Not even with the position he would be "coaching"

vCash

can we send Bobby and keep Norvell?

I think Long is a great QB coach. As a OC he was really good until we played other good teams that actually scouted us, then they saw how simple our game plans were and how predictable we were. Rarely are you going to have a team that is predictable win the MNC on talent alone. Simplicity does has it advantages, but an OC needs to know when to mix it up and add more wrinkles and disguise plays pre-snap.

vCash

Originally Posted by Dr Sleep View Post
    I think Long is a great QB coach. As a OC he was really good until we played other good teams that actually scouted us, then they saw how simple our game plans were and how predictable we were. Rarely are you going to have a team that is predictable win the MNC on talent alone. Simplicity does has it advantages, but an OC needs to know when to mix it up and add more wrinkles and disguise plays pre-snap.
    That explains why he's now coaching high school WRs......

Norvell is the only coach that has successfullyand continually identified, recruited, signed and coached up players for his particular position -- whether they be 3, 4 or 5 stars. I think he is the best thing on this staff next to Mike Stoops. Losing him would be a critical blow to OU. If he leaves, IMHO, it's because he sees the writing on the wall here --- were going down the tubes fast or Bob is retiring in a year or two.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

Norvell to Bears?

Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    Norvell is the only coach that has successfullyand continually identified, recruited, signed and coached up players for his particular position -- whether they be 3, 4 or 5 stars. I think he is the best thing on this staff next to Mike Stoops. Losing him would be a critical blow to OU. If he leaves, IMHO, it's because he sees the writing on the wall here --- were going down the tubes fast or Bob is retiring in a year or two.
    Umm our qb an rb recruiting has been just as good

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

Norvell to Bears?

And cb

I completely understand what you are saying but back to back NCG > than back to back Insight bowl win and Cotton bowl debacle. It really doesn't matter as it won't happen anyway.

He's not a beast out on the recruiting trail like Jay is. but he can coach and develop WR's. Hell, look what he did with guys like Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones, and Mark Bradley as examples of his ability.
    Mark Clayton and Brandon Jones were pretty highly recruited guys, so was Travis Wilson. Juaquin and Manny maybe not so much. But I think Juaquin was one of Bobby Jack Wrights finds. At any rate, I think Jay is 1 and Darrell is 1a or a close 2.

vCash

You can say that about every one of our OCs since Long left.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

vCash

Mark Clayton
    Thought Mark Clayton was a no star. Isn't that one of the coaching legends at OU...how our coaches were such good talent evaluators that they saw this overlooked 140lb kid who nobody else wanted and turned him into a superstar?

Yeah Bounce. We get game breakers. Williams is a juco recruit that we got because we didn't have anybody who could cut it --- or should I be more specific -- we had a guy name Finch who could cut it, but we leave him on the bench for some BS excuse.

You are right on qb, but as you might note I said and "coached" up. Landry never improved in the last 3 years, IMO. SO Huepel didn't do much with him.

CB you are partially right, but again we are coaching them up too. And you might also note that I said except Mike.

vCash

Mark Clayton and Brandon Jones were pretty highly recruited guys, so was Travis Wilson. Juaquin and Manny maybe not so much. But I think Juaquin was one of Bobby Jack Wrights finds. At any rate, I think Jay is 1 and Darrell is 1a or a close 2.
    Mark was a 2* I believe and he showed up in Norman standing 5'7" tall and weighting a paltry 150 lbs. Lol

Mark was a 2* I believe and he showed up in Norman standing 5'7" tall and weighting a paltry 150 lbs. Lol

Is Mark done with the NFL or still working on returning? I thought I read/heard somewhere he was still trying to return. Anyone know?

Originally Posted by Yatahaze View Post
    That explains why he's now coaching high school WRs......
    Was OC of one of the best offenses of all time while at OU.

vCash

Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Is Mark done with the NFL or still working on returning? I thought I read/heard somewhere he was still trying to return. Anyone know?
    He posted on his Facebook page last week that he is 4 months away from running routes at full speed and aims to return this season.

Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    Yeah Bounce. We get game breakers. Williams is a juco recruit that we got because we didn't have anybody who could cut it --- or should I be more specific -- we had a guy name Finch who could cut it, but we leave him on the bench for some BS excuse.

You are right on qb, but as you might note I said and "coached" up. Landry never improved in the last 3 years, IMO. SO Huepel didn't do much with him.

CB you are partially right, but again we are coaching them up too. And you might also note that I said except Mike.
    Landry may not have improved as much as you wanted him too, but I do think he improved every year here by quite a bit. He was very very good down the stretch of those last conference games. In his first year he rarely threw the ball downfield. Then he locked onto Broyles and threw deep to Stills, and last year he made all the throws and to everyone.

vCash

Originally Posted by Slobber View Post
    Have you EVER spent time in Chicago in January? That is the best news on this topic!!!

vCash

Originally Posted by KEPort20 View Post
    I am a bears fan and the only position trestman hasn't filled is wr coach. Thats not a good move for Norvell. He is a co-OC with OU and one more shitty year of play calling from heupal and he can remove the co from his title. That job with the bears won't come with any responsibility. Trestman will be the OC and running the offense from center out. Norvell will have no input at any level. Not even with the position he would be "coaching"
    Who wouldn't want to hire this guy? From the Amazon listing for Norvell's book:

In Complete Wide Receiver, legendary coach Jay Norvell provides players and coaches with the instruction, insight, and advice that have produced 8 All-Conference Players and dozens of NFL players, including Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Troy Vincent, Sage Rosenfelds, Tony Simmons, Jerome Pathon, John Hall, Sam Bradford, Zac Taylor, Chad Cascadden, Donald Hayes, and Lee DeRamus.

The most comprehensive resource on the position, from the game’s most accomplished position coach, Complete Wide Receiver is your guide to unlocking potential and maximizing performance at one of the offense’s most important positions.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Wide-...mm_pap_title_0

He posted on his Facebook page last week that he is 4 months away from running routes at full speed and aims to return this season.
    Rivals doesn't go that far back. He responds to your tweets. Ask him. Pretty sure he was at least a 3*. I know they were happy to have him. Who they beat out, IDK.

vCash

Rivals doesn't go that far back. He responds to your tweets. Ask him. Pretty sure he was at least a 3*. I know they were happy to have him. Who they beat out, IDK.
    Funny that you mention this, I was debating with another OU fan about Daryl Wyatt's recruting/coaching ability and ended up asking Mark who his recruiter was and he said it was Brent of all people, but I forgot to ask what his star rating was. I'll ask him, but I'm fairly certain he was a 2*.

Funny that you mention this, I was debating with another OU fan about Daryl Wyatt's recruting/coaching ability and ended up asking Mark who his recruiter was and he said it was Brent of all people, but I forgot to ask what his star rating was. I'll ask him, but I'm fairly certain he was a 2*.
    I saw it, that's why I posted it. Mark's a great dude.

I say Bob needs to talk to Kevin Wilson and work a trade....Litrell for Heupel. Seems legit.

He also interviewed for a Denver coaching vacancy.

Jay isn't leaving OU though.

OU Insider reporting Norvell has decided to stay.

@OU247 Co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell had decided to remain at OU. Both the Broncos and Bears talked to Norvell, but he has decided to stay.
    3 users like Colinreturn's post: andymancan20, MadMex, oudidntknow84

Cool, thanks.