3-4 Defense or 3-3-5 Defense

Posted 451 day(s) ago by huntinsooner3512 Views 76 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    vCash

So if we do switch to a 3 man front, does BJW coach OLBs? Does Kish hang around? Probably wouldn't hurt to bring in a guy with some roots in the 3-4.

I didnt think we were big enough to run the 3-4. Phillips is plenty big if we put him over the center, but the DEs in that scheme need to be very good at the point of attack or the LBs will get swallowed up, just like last year. Now, when we ran the "50", which is basically a 3-4, we had Lewis and Alexander on the ends and they could hold up. Perhaps we have that now at DE and we just havent seen it yet.

vCash

They need to move the smaller DT's to end. You can't be small at the ends and expect to hold the line of scrimmage.

vCash

Why do they call it a 3-4 or a 3-3 when it's really a 5-2 or 5-1? Also, the Big XII-II offenses typically love the quick slants. Wouldn't that be pretty effective with holes in the short middle?

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    So if we do switch to a 3 man front, does BJW coach OLBs? Does Kish hang around? Probably wouldn't hurt to bring in a guy with some roots in the 3-4.
    Maybe this is what they are going to do in the alleged coaching change after NSD.

vCash

I got an ESPN update on my phone earlier that said the coaches are telling the recruits we are switching to the 3-4

vCash

Stole this from Wiki

“ I think good coaches will coach with the personnel they have, and if you only have one (good) linebacker, you’re not going to play a 3–4. ”
    —Hank Bullough, who installed one of the first 3–4 defenses with the New England Patriots.[10]
    This quote worries me.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    This quote worries me.
    Me too. Hoping Chuka, Grissom and Onuahu can stand up and play OLB.

Does anyone on this staff know how to coach a 3-4? Mike & bob made their bones with a 4-3 base and variations off of that. If they get away from what they know, it could be a disaster. I personally don't care what they do as long as it yields the results we need to be great again on defense. I'm just worried we're trying to run a defense that none of these coaches really "know" inside and out. Someone please tell me there's nothing to worry about.

vCash

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Does anyone on this staff know how to coach a 3-4? Mike & bob made their bones with a 4-3 base and variations off of that. If they get away from what they know, it could be a disaster. I personally don't care what they do as long as it yields the results we need to be great again on defense. I'm just worried we're trying to run a defense that none of these coaches really "know" inside and out. Someone please tell me there's nothing to worry about.
    There's nothing to worry about.*

*Except our complete lack of talent and depth in the DL and LB positions, the possibility that we are switching Defenses as a gimmick PR move to show that Bob is "Making Changes", we're not sure if we have a QB that can throw the ball better than a full back, we have the best FB in the country and decide the best place for him is on the bench, we have an explosive RB that only makes plays on the field but spends most of gameday on the sidelines, we always lose half of our OL during the offseason, we're due another DUI/drug arrest, our conference is dropping like a lead zeppelin in respectability, and due to our complete ineptitude in recruiting, we have will have guys on the roster for the next 5 years that would have otherwise been playing for the Virginia Cavaliers. I think that's a full disclaimer.
    3 users like The's post: madbrad, OU812, SECsooner

vCash

The pretty much covered it.

vCash

Scheme wasn't the real problem. Talent was. We didn't have quality DTs and that will still be the case.

Soft is soft
    Can't tackle for shit is cant tackle for shit.

Anything is better than the 4-0-7 that we currently run...

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    Scheme wasn't the real problem. Talent was. We didn't have quality DTs and that will still be the case.

Soft is soft
    Can't tackle for shit is cant tackle for shit.
    I for one appreciate your AvatASS...
    The following users like this post: meandmybutt

This will be a giant fail. The 3-4 required three defensive linemen who can stop the run by themselves. When was the last time we had that?

The NT is actually the key.

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    We didn't have quality DTs and that will still be the case.
    You're right on the first part, but you are very wrong on the second part. I will go ahead and say I told you so right now ahead of time.

vCash

More worries for the off-season. I was wondering how I would spend my time this Summer/Fall. Now that THAT'S done back to ****.

vCash

Originally Posted by Big Pimpin' View Post
    This will be a giant fail. The 3-4 required three defensive linemen who can stop the run by themselves. When was the last time we had that?

The NT is actually the key.
    Actually, you are only half right. I'm not sure we have the personnel to play the 3 up front. But the 3-4 schemes to have the down linemen nullify the offensive line and leave the LBs to make the stop. Not sure we have the second line of defense (LBs) to make this work either. But I'm the casual fan and not a coaching expert, so we'll see. I do know that the nose in a 3-4 needs to be good/large enough to require a double team. I didn't see anybody on the field in 2012 that fits that. The one thing that might make sense is that Mike loves to bring the heat and the 3-4 is a blitzer's dream come true. Downside is a good passing team with quick routes and a decent OL (see Big XII-II) can pick the 3-4 apart.

vCash

Originally Posted by MoJoOkie View Post
    Actually, you are only half right. I'm not sure we have the personnel to play the 3 up front. But the 3-4 schemes to have the down linemen nullify the offensive line and leave the LBs to make the stop. Not sure we have the second line of defense (LBs) to make this work either. But I'm the casual fan and not a coaching expert, so we'll see. I do know that the nose in a 3-4 needs to be good/large enough to require a double team. I didn't see anybody on the field in 2012 that fits that. The one thing that might make sense is that Mike loves to bring the heat and the 3-4 is a blitzer's dream come true. Downside is a good passing team with quick routes and a decent OL (see Big XII-II) can pick the 3-4 apart.
    And you've got a few things correct, kind of. The NT, if you will, doesn't have to be "large enough to require a double team." The NT will often line up directly over the OC or shade them slightly. This way, they can cover both the R and L A gap. In other words, they will try to control the blocker, not the gap. If the opposing team doubles the NT, then the NT will try to split them or occupy both. This, as you mentioned, is what allows the LBs to cause havoc.

No one on OU is there yet, and I don't know (other than rumors and wishful thinking) how good Wade is (forget Russell right now, he isn't even at OU). However, I think Jordan Phillips has the potential to be a 2-gap DT who lines up directly over the OC (see Michael Brockers from LSU; same size and both are very athletic). Wade then could be a 1-gap DT to Phillips' left or right. We have several DEs who could play 1-gap (maybe 2-gap) or drop into coverage. Favors and Lindley can play a role, too. Lindley showed good coverage ability in high school. Thus, he could play OLB or ILB (supposing he beats out or subs in for Nelson). Favors is an MLB to me. Shannon could play OLB or ILB, IMO.

OU seems to have the "potential" and the "flexbility" to play 3-4, but they have ZERO depth to play it, IMO.

LBs are a question mark. Just because they haven't really played at all. Maybe they aren't good enough to play. We definitely have size issues at LB but maybe the speed at LB will make up for it. That's something that can work in the 3-4 real well if we have the right speed on the edges.

Looking at the film of Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and I can see him fitting the 3-4 OLB spot pretty nicely.

vCash

Not a big fan of the move. I see it more as a reaction to a lack of talent at the DL position. So unless they see some incoming talent that leads them to think the better scheme is a 3-4, then I just don't understand the decision making behind the switch. Either way, the talent on the defensive side of the ball needs to improve, whatever scheme we run.

Say we go to either a
    3-4 or a 3-3-5, post your projected starting lineup for both...

vCash

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    You're right on the first part, but you are very wrong on the second part. I will go ahead and say I told you so right now ahead of time.
    I hope you are correct. I would like to be wrong.

vCash

FWIW writer at CFN says OK should not go to 3-4. Do not have the players and coaches do not know it!

Re: 3-4 Defense or 3-3-5 Defense

We don't have the players for the 4-3 or 50 or whatever bullshit D we threw out there last year.

We just don't have the players....