WOLVERINES!!!! (N.Korea mean mugging)

Posted 637 day(s) ago 630 Views 19 Replies

Strategy WOLVERINES!!!! (N.Korea mean mugging)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/wo...test.html?_r=0

North Korea said Wednesday that its nuclear weapons program was no longer negotiable, and indicated that it might conduct its third nuclear test to retaliate against the United Nations Security Council’s tightening of sanctions against the country for launching a rocket last month.

Although it was not the first time North Korea had expressed such a strident stance, its posture, coming under the new leadership of Kim Jong-un, threw a direct challenge to President Obama as he starts his second term, and to Park Geun-hye, who will be sworn in as president of South Korea next month.

After years of tensions with North Korea, both Mr. Obama and Ms. Park recently said they were keeping the door open for dialogue with North Korea on the premise that such engagement would lead to the eventual dismantling of its nuclear weapons program.

The North’s comments came as Washington reaffirmed its policy of punishing North Korea for moving toward the development of long-range missiles tipped with a nuclear warhead, spearheading international backing for a unanimous Security Council resolution on Tuesday.

The resolution tightened existing sanctions and condemned North Korea’s Dec. 12 rocket launching as a violation of earlier resolutions banning the country from conducting any tests involving ballistic missile technology. North Korea said Wednesday that it would take “physical counteraction” to bolster its “nuclear deterrence both qualitatively and quantitatively.”

By “physical counteraction,” analysts in Seoul said, North Korea most likely meant detonating another nuclear device to show advances in bomb making. After analyzing the debris of the rocket North Korea fired in December to put a satellite into orbit, South Korean officials said North Korea indigenously built crucial components of a missile that can fly more than 6,200 miles.

In recent months, international experts have detected what appear to be new tunneling activities and efforts to fix flood damage in the Punggye-ri nuclear test site in northeastern North Korea. Kim Min-seok, spokesman for the Defense Ministry of South Korea, told reporters last month that North Korea could conduct a third nuclear test on short notice once its leadership decided to. North Korea conducted an underground nuclear test in Punggye-ri in 2006 and in 2009.

The North Korean statement said Wednesday that Washington and its allies “know better than any others about the fact that ballistic missile technology is the only means for launching satellites, and they launch satellites more than any others.” It added, “This is self-deception and the height of double standards.”

In recent years, North Korea has made it increasingly clear that it is determined to keep its nuclear weapons at whatever costs, undermining a once-popular belief that the Pyongyang government’s brinkmanship was a mere bargaining ploy designed to get as many concessions as possible in exchange for nuclear weapons.

Choi Jin-wook, an analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul, said, “This is a strong message from North Korea, basically saying that no matter how much economic aid it receives, no matter how flexible other countries become, it will be negotiating only on the premise that it will be accepted and treated as a nuclear power.”

He continued, “The North is sending a wake-up alarm to Washington and Seoul.”

Bumbling idiots. They'll blow themselves up before they can harm anyone else.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Bumbling idiots. They'll blow themselves up before they can harm anyone else.
    If it was just the government ****s, I'd be fine with that. Sadly, they are using the nukes to enslave an entire country.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    If it was just the government ****s, I'd be fine with that. Sadly, they are using the nukes to enslave an entire country.
    If it weren't for China, someone would have done something about this by now, I think. Right?

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    If it weren't for China, someone would have done something about this by now, I think. Right?
    Ya. N Koreans that escape into China are sent back if caught. The government would have folded a long time ago if not for the Chinese. It's troubling to me that we are as beholden to China as we are yet they are probably the largest violators of human rights, directly and indirectly, in the world today.
    The following users like this post: fdubzou

Ya. N Koreans that escape into China are sent back if caught. The government would have folded a long time ago if not for the Chinese. It's troubling to me that we are as beholden to China as we are yet they are probably the largest violators of human rights, directly and indirectly, in the world today.
    Not to mention their pollution. What we do over here and in Europe isn't going to be of much impact environmentally when their air is yellow.

Not to mention their pollution. What we do over here and in Europe isn't going to be of much impact environmentally when their air is yellow.
    Is their pollution that bad? I actually don't know. I would assume that it's not since there's really no electricity or anything anywhere.

Edit: nevermind you meant China.

Is their pollution that bad? I actually don't know. I would assume that it's not since there's really no electricity or anything anywhere.

Edit: nevermind you meant China.
    Ha, yeah, I meant China. I've read/heard that it's pretty awful there. Like, people have to relocate, you can see it in the air, etc.

Ha, yeah, I meant China. I've read/heard that it's pretty awful there. Like, people have to relocate, you can see it in the air, etc.
    Severe Air Pollution Stroke Beijing

Beijing, the capital city of China endured its worst air pollution last weekend, Officials called for residents to stay home and avoid exercising outside after the murky air darkened the skies over Beijing and surrounding areas. The yellow fog warning was finally lifted on Wednesday, as the capital’s residents saw their first sunshine after seven days.
    Data posted on Sunday by the monitoring centre - bjmemc.com.cn - showed particulate matter measuring less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter (PM2.5) had reached more than 600 micrograms per square metre at some monitoring stations in Beijing, and was as high as 900 on Saturday evening.
    The recommended daily level for PM2.5 is 20, according to the World Health Organisation. Such pollution has been identified as a major cause of asthma and respiratory diseases.
    20 million ordered to stay indoors, 1000s of children hospitalized.

We should nuke China. The world would be a better place. A lot less people and cheap junk.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    We should nuke China. The world would be a better place. A lot less people and cheap junk.
    DO it, and fast forward 30 years, and their environment might actually be cleaner than it would be otherswise!
    3 users like OUMallen's post: DHF, Gonzo, oucub23

Re: WOLVERINES!!!! (N.Korea mean mugging)

Take out Beijing first.

Barring that, quit buying their junk and collapse their economy. Toss out the politburo and set up an economy that is sustainable.

Barring that, quit buying their junk and collapse their economy. Toss out the politburo and set up an economy that is sustainable.
    But.. but.. my happy meals would be 14 dollars and my clothes would all cost as much as my made in USA uniforms!

I don't like cheap shit. Id rather have one nice thing than 30 pieces of cheap shit. That said, it's nearly impossible to not own something that was made there.

Chinese pollution sucks, but they present a bigger danger in other categories aside from the environment.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

It will suck discovering those mass graves in NK when communism eventually falls.

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    It will suck discovering those mass graves in NK when communism eventually falls.
    The work camps are disturbing as hell to me. It's concentration camp stuff--kids are born there, grow up there and die there.

I don't like cheap shit. Id rather have one nice thing than 30 pieces of cheap shit. That said, it's nearly impossible to not own something that was made there.
    Almost nothing is really "made in the USA" anymore, most items with this label now only mean they were assembled in US, parts were manufactured somewhere else. Yet another reason that there are so few quality jobs around. The reason is purely profit based.

Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    Almost nothing is really "made in the USA" anymore, most items with this label now only mean they were assembled in US, parts were manufactured somewhere else. Yet another reason that there are so few quality jobs around. The reason is purely profit based.
    Not purely.