1 down 2 to go.

Posted 455 day(s) ago 2966 Views 61 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

1 down 2 to go.

Number of seasons, prior to this year, that I have given Stoops to "right the ship" is 3. When those 3 years expire he will be entering his 17th season as HC at Oklahoma.

According to Bob, this season was pretty good and I agreed with him until that back alley abortion of game against aTm. We ended up where we started - inept offense and shitty defense. Despite a returning senior QB, we were stagnate, not just offensively but as a team.

Of course he won't be fired and will be allowed to finish out his contract, but as a fan, how long until you give up on him? If you already have, when did that happen? It happened for me after the Florida loss, so I think I've been pretty patient giving him 6 more years after that. If you haven't given up on him, what will it take?

Keep in mind that 'giving up on him' doesn't mean you want him fired, want him eaten by wolves, or don't support the team, or no longer support the football program, it simply means you don't believe Stoops can do what is expected of the HC at Oklahoma.

Obviously, no one from the OU admin, coach, player, or anyone that matters really gives a shit about what any of us think. It was just interesting to me after last season and the season before there seemed to be a real shift in attitudes on this board and I just wanted to know where everyone was at. Was the meltdown after aTm just that, or is their a real change in attitude about the current state of the program?

So if he doesn't "right the ship", what will you do? Honest question...not trying to be a smartass...I'm just curious.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: oorah_okie, Schooner9

I was tired after the KState game. Ridiculous mistakes are hard to watch. I was numb after the Cotton Bowl. Didn't matter to me either way. Notre Dame showed were weren't physical enough. But...I think the team responds to Blake Bell better than Landry. I think Landry is a good player but a dull person. What kind of leader is that for a game as emotional as football? To me it's less a matter of Stoops righting the ship and more can Blake right the ship.
    2 users like srburkhart's post: BoomerDT, SilksKS

It will be 13 yrs since his national title season. Have any coaches ever gone 13 yrs or more and ended up winning another national title? It certainly seems like Bobby Stoops has risen, peaked, plateaued, and is now on a downhill slide at the end if his career. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but the direction and momentum of this program is in obvious decline.
    The following users like this post: sooner68

vCash

Not satisfied but at least we're not stuck with like Ferentz at Iowa where going 8-5 seems to be the bellweather there. Granted OU is not a super elite program right now but if we can go 10 wins and up each year, that's going to be a good year. We are just not Bama, LSU or Oregon or rising like maybe A &M. Georgia and Clemson had really good years but there coaches were on the ropes coming into the last couple of years. Also Michigan had dropped worse than OU over the past 5 years as has USC. So OU isn't at the pinnacle but certainly not in the dumps. Maybe Bob has just got to work harder, be more creative, make smarter decisions on his staff to maintain where we are and have a shot to climb back up into NC contention.
    Let's not wander into the woods looking for some miracle or flavor-of-the-year coach who we think would be a better choice.

vCash

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    It will be 13 yrs since his national title season. Have any coaches ever gone 13 yrs or more and ended up winning another national title? It certainly seems like Bobby Stoops has risen, peaked, plateaued, and is now on a downhill slide at the end if his career. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but the direction and momentum of this program is in obvious decline.
    Well, there are only eighteen coaches that have won multiple national titles at the same school, so the list is pretty short. (Guessing it is about one tenth of one percent of total coaches)

I asked this very question last year on the board. How long is too long for OU to go without a national championship? It's going to get harder and harder to fire him the longer he stays. Those coaches who coach at the same school for that long become an institution themselves. Joe Pa, Beamer, Bowden... Once he has been here 20 years excuses start to get made for him. We already hear from Stoops' white knights about how at least he is doing it the right way and not over signing and cutting players like those SEC coaches or how noble Stoops is for not working with "street agents", etc...

Another? None are coming to mind. Switzer went 10 years. Osbourne went a bunch of years w/out one then won 1. Paterno and Bowden too.

vCash

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I asked this very question last year on the board. How long is too long for OU to go without a national championship? It's going to get harder and harder to fire him the longer he stays. Those coaches who coach at the same school for that long become an institution themselves. Joe Pa, Beamer, Bowden... Once he has been here 20 years excuses start to get made for him. We already hear from Stoops' white knights about how at least he is doing it the right way and not over signing and cutting players like those SEC coaches or how noble Stoops is for not working with "street agents", etc...
    Not a really convincing argument when you consider Paterno won a national title in year 17&21of his HC tenure at PSU and Bowden won in year 18&24 of his.

If anything they are prime arguments for coaching stability.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Not a really convincing argument when you consider Paterno won a national title in year 17&21of his HC tenure at PSU and Bowden won in year 18&24 of his.

If anything they are prime arguments for coaching stability.
    So do you consider 17-24 years an acceptable length of time between national championships for the Oklahoma Sooners?

vCash

So do you consider 17-24 years an acceptable length of time between national championships for the Oklahoma Sooners?
    If we average playing in the title game every three years, I might. It would be utterly dependent upon our competitiveness in those games and many other factors.

I can not say with certainty that going another 3-10 years would be "unacceptable" for these reasons.
    The following users like this post: Oldnslo

I gave up on "Big Game Bob" after 2011. Talking about how it was time for another NC and going this long without one was unacceptable at OU. To me those were just words to quiet the doubters, because in my opinion Stoops and Co. haven't taken any steps in the right direction to change this trend. "Big Lame Bob" is complacent and satisfied with bonus after bonus after bonus for co championships. Bob will never have the hunger again if he keeps getting rewarded for "winning" the joke conference we are in.
    The following users like this post: Backintheday

vCash

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    So if he doesn't "right the ship", what will you do? Honest question...not trying to be a smartass...I'm just curious.
    Pout.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

We know it's hard because darn it....guys like you deserve sooo much.

If we average playing in the title game every three years, I might. It would be utterly dependent upon our competitiveness in those games and many other factors.

I can not say with certainty that going another 3-10 years would be "unacceptable" for these reasons.
    This is where a great many would disagree with you. I think our recruiting has been hurt significantly BECAUSE we have not shown well in national championship games, you on the other hand believe that our national perception is enhanced by consistently losing national championship games. If we made it to the next 5 national championship games and lost every one of them, do you really believe that would help Stoops or the national perception of the program from a recruit perspective?

I've long said the worst 3 days work Stoops has done in his career is losing those 3 national championship games. The worst thing that could happen to Stoops at this point in his career is lose another national championship game. It wouldn't be out of line for someone to suggest Stoops would rather not ever make the title game again, the shit storm would be unmanageable.

vCash

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    This is where a great many would disagree with you. I think our recruiting has been hurt significantly BECAUSE we have not shown well in national championship games, you on the other hand believe that our national perception is enhanced by consistently losing national championship games. If we made it to the next 5 national championship games and lost every one of them, do you really believe that would help Stoops or the national perception of the program from a recruit perspective?

I've long said the worst 3 days work Stoops has done in his career is losing those 3 national championship games. The worst thing that could happen to Stoops at this point in his career is lose another national championship game. It wouldn't be out of line for someone to suggest Stoops would rather not ever make the title game again, the shit storm would be unmanageable.
    It can hurt him right now, because of the belief that we don't always get the two best teams in the game (an effectual hindsight problem where he loser is readily dismissed as not worthy). If we go to the title the next five years, we would have won a national semifinal for the last three of those.

I think that would result in far more recruiting benefit than not making the playoff at all, certainly.

Fair question and I don't think you are being a smartass. I don't know that I'll do anything different than I have been since the last national championship loss, except maybe not expect a national championship at all, right now I am clinging to just a little bit of hope. Since the last loss, I have lowered my expectations of the program, I expect to lose 2-3 games per year, I expect to be in contention for the conference championship, I expect an occasional BCS bowl, I expect to lose that BCS bowl more often that win it. So far, that appears to be the right formula, though I didn't expect the total and complete asswhipping from a team we have recent history of dominating. It would be nice to avoid that if possible.

Re: 1 down 2 to go.

We haven't shown well in National Championship Games?

2001 Orange Bowl - Championship
    2004 Sugar Bowl - We go to OT if White doesn't overthrow Jones (Although we should've kept running inside the redzone)
    2005 Orange Bowl - We got embarrassed
    2009 BCS Championship - We were the underdogs and did more than we were expected to do. It was tied in the 4th.

So out of the 4 championship games he's been to, only one has been "bad". I guess others here see any loss as "we didn't show up".

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Not satisfied but at least we're not stuck with like Ferentz at Iowa where going 8-5 seems to be the bellweather there. Granted OU is not a super elite program right now but if we can go 10 wins and up each year, that's going to be a good year. We are just not Bama, LSU or Oregon or rising like maybe A &M. Georgia and Clemson had really good years but there coaches were on the ropes coming into the last couple of years. Also Michigan had dropped worse than OU over the past 5 years as has USC. So OU isn't at the pinnacle but certainly not in the dumps. Maybe Bob has just got to work harder, be more creative, make smarter decisions on his staff to maintain where we are and have a shot to climb back up into NC contention.
    Let's not wander into the woods looking for some miracle or flavor-of-the-year coach who we think would be a better choice.
    More than fair assessment. I think OU has been more consistent than any of the programs you mention. So the question is; is consistency good enough? That answer obviously depends on who you ask. I believe consistency is good enough for Boren, JC, and the BOR and that is fine with me. A better question is; is consistency good enough for Stoops? The answer to this question greatly affects how hard Bob is willing to work.

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    We haven't shown well in National Championship Games?

2001 Orange Bowl - Championship
    2004 Sugar Bowl - We go to OT if White doesn't overthrow Jones (Although we should've kept running inside the redzone)
    2005 Orange Bowl - We got embarrassed
    2009 BCS Championship - We were the underdogs and did more than we were expected to do. It was tied in the 4th.

So out of the 4 championship games he's been to, only one has been "bad". I guess others here see any loss as "we didn't show up".
    I was at the FSU game, great game, obviously not one of the games I was speaking about.
    LSU loss was acceptable.
    USC loss was an abortion.
    Disagree with you about Florida, the coaching staff managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So, in my view we had 1 decent showing in the three losses, stating 'not showing well' is being kind. Bottom line is no one nationally remembers how close those game were or weren't (save the USC abortion), they do know Stoops has lost 3 in a row and can't seem to win them.

vCash

Number of seasons, prior to this year, that I have given Stoops to "right the ship" is 3. When those 3 years expire he will be entering his 17th season as HC at Oklahoma.

According to Bob, this season was pretty good and I agreed with him until that back alley abortion of game against aTm. We ended up where we started - inept offense and shitty defense. Despite a returning senior QB, we were stagnate, not just offensively but as a team.

Of course he won't be fired and will be allowed to finish out his contract, but as a fan, how long until you give up on him? If you already have, w

hen did that happen? It happened for me after the Florida loss, so I think I've been pretty patient giving him 6 more years after that. If you haven'

t given up on him, what will it take?

Keep in mind that 'giving up on him' doesn't mean you want him fired, want him eaten by wolves, or don't support the team, or no longer support the football program, it simply means you don't believe Stoops can do what is expected of the HC at Oklahoma.

Obviously, no one from the OU admin, coach, player, or anyone that matters really gives a shit about what any of us think. It was just interesting to me after last season and the season before there seemed to be a real shift in attitudes on this board and I just wanted to know where everyone was at. Was the meltdown after aTm just that, or is their a real change in attitude about the current state of the program?

I gave Bob one more year AFTER the 2011 season so I am convinced that he won't get it done.. I have honestly been convinced of that for about 3 years now. Everyone was saying we had all the injuries and thats not Bob's fault so I agreed and gave him one last year before I gave up and decided It's best he just let someone else get the job done. I understand thru a certain individual whom I know that is very close to the situation that Bob has agreed he will leave if things aren't improving by next seasons end. Honestly, After the horrible usc game I had serious questions about Bob and doubted he would win another NC at OU. We were just so unprepared and embarrassed I suspected we would not be able to win another NC with Bob as HC. Now, I would be totally shocked if we did. I have given up on Bob but I love my Sooners.

vCash

This and we deserve better and should demand better.

vCash

I dont see OU making any waves on the national scene for a very long time. Bob has lost the fire and it is showing in recruiting this year. Seems like there is one screw up after another and it shows the program is on auto pilot. I think the admin. needs to see what Bob does next year and if the situation continues to get worse than they need to put the heat on him.

vCash

More than fair assessment. I think OU has been more consistent than any of the programs you mention. So the question is; is consistency good enough? That answer obviously depends on who you ask. I believe consistency is good enough for Boren, JC, and the BOR and that is fine with me. A better question is; is consistency good enough for Stoops? The answer to this question greatly affects how hard Bob is willing to work.
    I don't think It's a matter of how hard Bob is willing to work.. I just don't think Bob can get it done.. He honestly doesn't know what to do He is getting beaten in the recruiting wars, He is absolutely sold on an offensive scheme that depends almost entirely on the pass.. He almost never has a really good OL that can both pass and run block. He almost never fires an assistant.. He rarely changes game plans when the one we have isn't working. He is too stubborn to change what might make a difference. He is NOT a good game day coach.. He totally depends on his assistants to get the job done and seemingly never overrules their bad decisions during games. As a result of all this we as a team are constantly out coached, Out recruited and beaten by teams with equal talent..
    2 users like boomermagic's post: madillsoonerfan5353, Sooner 4 Life

vCash

Another? None are coming to mind. Switzer went 10 years. Osbourne went a bunch of years w/out one then won 1. Paterno and Bowden too.
    Switzer went 9 seasons then won his last NC.

You guys enjoy whining to each other?
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

vCash

He will run a marathon. I've given him three years to run a marathon and one year is up.

vCash

Originally Posted by IndoSooner View Post
    You guys enjoy whining to each other?
    It's ok just set back and watch..

vCash

...'giving up on him' doesn't mean you want him fired... it simply means you don't believe Stoops can do what is expected of the HC at Oklahoma.
    I can understand (and I agree with) those who think Stoops is not getting it done and we can find a better coach, and I can also understand (but disagree with) those who say the expectations of people like me are unrealistic. But I will never understand those who say Stoops can't do what is expected of him but refuse to support firing him. If someone can't meet expectations, you find someone who can. You don't just accept defeat. I've seen others on this board with the same attitude, and I don't get it.

Bob Stoops will have to have several 7-5 type seasons consecutively before even being considered being fired for we'll say "Lack of performance". Only Alabama, LSU and Oregon have more wins the last 4 seasons. You have to have a complete and utter lack of knowledge of the game of football to even think that Bob Stoops is on the hot seat after winning at least 10 games in 12 of his 14 seasons.

Do I want to see the Sooners run the football more? Yes
    Should they have recruited more sizable LB's the last 3 years? Yes
    Should they have made Landry Jones compete for the starting QB job after the 2009 and 2010 seasons? Yes

Should the coach who has won 41 games in the last 4 years be on the Hot Seat? Absolutely not!

You see whether you want to believe this or not the Sooner Football program was a complete crap hole before Bob Stoops arrived. Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson were long gone in 1999. Bob Stoops is who put this program back in the top 5 so please call me when you whiners finally get to be University Administrators so we can watch as you "Right their Ships"!
    2 users like sportsproducer's post: dainbramage, DHF

Originally Posted by sportsproducer View Post
    You have to have a complete and utter lack of knowledge of the game of football to even think that Bob Stoops is on the hot seat after winning at least 10 games in 12 of his 14 seasons.
    Oklahoma Football.. It's not about winning championships, It's about getting ten wins. Boomer!!!
    3 users like lobster999's post: Backintheday, boomermagic, madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Switzer went 9 seasons then won his last NC.
    Excuse me...9. Has anyone gone longer between them? This is an interesting question. Looks like Fielding Yost went from 1904 to 1918 between 2 of his.

Bob Stoops will have to have several 7-5 type seasons consecutively before even being considered being fired for we'll say "Lack of performance". Only Alabama, LSU and Oregon have more wins the last 4 seasons. You have to have a complete and utter lack of knowledge of the game of football to even think that Bob Stoops is on the hot seat after winning at least 10 games in 12 of his 14 seasons.

Should they have made Landry Jones compete for the starting QB job after the 2009 and 2010 seasons? Yes

Should the coach who has won 41 games in the last 4 years be on the Hot Seat? Absolutely not!

You see whether you want to believe this or not the Sooner Football program was a complete crap hole before Bob Stoops arrived. Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson were long gone in 1999. Bob Stoops is who put this program back in the top 5 so please call me when you whiners finally get to be University Administrators so we can watch as you "Right their Ships"!
    If you're going to chastise others for "lack of knowledge", then you should bother to get your stuff right.

1. Chris Peterson has won more games over the last 4 years than Bob Stoops.
    In fact, he has won NINE more games (49-40) than Bob over that period.
    Gary Patterson has won more games (42-40) over that period than Stoops.

Additionally (only for context)...Urban Meyer was out of coaching in 2011 but has won 46 over his last 4. Mike Gundy and Bret Bielema both won 40 over that same stretch. Gundy in the same conference. Bo Pelini and Frank Beamer won 39 over that period, merely 1 win behind Stoops. Beamer's national reputation is that VT is in a slide and Pelini is not exactly enjoying a free ride at NU. And Spurrier won 38 over that stretch in the toughest conference in football.

2. Stoops has won at least 10 games in 11 of his 14 seasons. Not 12.
    3. Stoops has won 40 (8+12+10+10) over that stretch. Not 41.

vCash

Originally Posted by LudwigVanMorrison View Post
    I can understand (and I agree with) those who think Stoops is not getting it done and we can find a better coach, and I can also understand (but disagree with) those who say the expectations of people like me are unrealistic. But I will never understand those who say Stoops can't do what is expected of him but refuse to support firing him. If someone can't meet expectations, you find someone who can. You don't just accept defeat. I've seen others on this board with the same attitude, and I don't get it.
    I know what you are saying.. I think those people are in denial.. They don't think Bob will do what needs to be done but they want him as HC anyway ? Crazy man Crazy..

vCash

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    If you're going to chastise others for "lack of knowledge", then you should bother to get your stuff right.

1. Chris Peterson has won more games over the last 4 years than Bob Stoops.
    In fact, he has won NINE more games (49-40) than Bob over that period.
    Gary Patterson has won more games (42-40) over that period than Stoops.

Additionally (only for context)...Urban Meyer was out of coaching in 2011 but has won 46 over his last 4. Mike Gundy and Bret Bielema both won 40 over that same stretch. Gundy in the same conference. Bo Pelini and Frank Beamer won 39 over that period, merely 1 win behind Stoops. Beamer's national reputation is that VT is in a slide and Pelini is not exactly enjoying a free ride at NU. And Spurrier won 38 over that stretch in the toughest conference in football.

2. Stoops has won at least 10 games in 11 of his 14 seasons. Not 12.
    3. Stoops has won 40 (8+12+10+10) over that stretch. Not 41.
    Winning 10 games a season and coming up short when it really counts won't get it done..

Originally Posted by LudwigVanMorrison View Post
    I think that's a fair criticism. Personally, I've expressed that particular view.

I don't support firing Stoops presently but I inch closer every day but I am 95% confident he will never win another national title at OU. And that's the difficult thing to grapple with. I fully understand the criticism of this view. The remaining 5% of 'hope' is that he'll make the necessary changes and most of that '95%' is believing he won't, with the rest of if being circumstances beyond his control.

So what are reasonable expectations?
    The man has taken care of business in the Big 12. He's done a lot of good and he's built up a lot of good will and well earned credibility. He's just...not capable, IMO, of getting us out of the relative 'hole' in terms of the national picture. I could list all the reasons, but what's the use at this point?

So yeah, maybe I should support his firing, it's just tough to do so.
    I saw more games (in person) in the 90's than any other time. My college years were '93-'97. I know that horrible period as well as any Sooner fan. Stoops hasn't embarrassed the program off the field and he's done things the right way. So while he has little shot (the national 'Choklahoma' factor) of "righting the ship", it's quite a difficult thing to then take that next step and call for his firing. Although I am right on the cusp...

I want the Sooners to win national championships. Or AT THE VERY LEAST be firmly capable year in and year out of winning them. We are moving further away from the elites. And if you see our recruiting in 2013, and you understand the true context of how the Big 12 in general is being viewed (as of now, prior to potential expansion) the future is relatively bleak (in this national context).

It's a tough call. And if Stoops weren't so stubborn and truly willing to evolve schemes and hire the best available assistants, then this is a different conversation. But what we saw in the Cotton Bowl is yet one more collapse that we have seen numerous times.

I have a lot of affection for Stoops. He's been an incredible representative of this program. But if he can't make the changes, either because he sees that nothing is wrong, or because it is beyond his control and his reputation is damaged to some extent ('Big Game Boob'), then what else can happen?

I think your criticism is fair. It's just tough to bring myself to saying 'he needs to go'. I've left the door open for hope, but there is very little light pouring through. But mostly I respond in these types of threads when people believe Stoops is practically above reproach. He's worthy of some heat. That's all.
    The following users like this post: eightisgreat

vCash

Excuse me...9. Has anyone gone longer between them? This is an interesting question. Looks like Fielding Yost went from 1904 to 1918 between 2 of his.
    You are excused.. Maybe Joe pa not sure. look it up..

1 down 2 to go.

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    You are excused.. Maybe Joe pa not sure. look it up..
    JoePa didn't wind his first until 86 right? He went long w/out one but had 2 fairy close together.

Not exactly easy to research. If Yost hadn't won 6 total I may not have run by his name. Bear's were all in close years too.

vCash

I don't care what Bob has done {It's not near enough IMO} What is he doing now ? I have said this many times Bud and Barry averaged winning a NC about every 5 years. That is what can be done at OU. Don't give me that It was different then bullshit.. It can be done with the right coach. Big 12 Championships are good but we can and should do better. Bob knows, Thats why he made the comment before last season about it being time to win a NC. Bud and Barry won 3 in 16 years.. It's still football and Bama has done it.. There is no excuse..

vCash

JoePa didn't wind his first until 86 right? He went long w/out one but had 2 fairy close together.

Not exactly easy to research. If Yost hadn't won 6 total I may not have run by his name. Bear's were all in close years too.
    If Penn state had been the traditional national power Ou was Joe Pa. wouldn't have lasted very long.. I think the guy was overrated..

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    I agree with most of what you said but don't compare us with Iowa. Iowa isn't on the same level as Oklahoma's program. This 10-3 season was a shitty year for us, Iowa went 4-8.

Well, there are only eighteen coaches that have won multiple national titles at the same school, so the list is pretty short. (Guessing it is about one tenth of one percent of total coaches)
    So you are saying you agree that statistically Stoops probably won't get it done and he should stay coach at Oklahoma for as long as he wants? There are 120 FBS schools and 110 of them are irrelevant with regard to this discussion, so the percentage you mentioned would go way up if you consider only the elite schools. Oklahoma is an elite football school and had two coaches that won multiple national championships, the same must be expected of any coach that plans on staying here for more than 10 years.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

1 down 2 to go.

I hope Stoops is at OU for at least ten more seasons.

Re: 1 down 2 to go.

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    I hope Stoops is at OU for at least ten more seasons.
    It depends on what stoops we get. 10 seasons of competing for nc's. Or 10 yrs of finishing behind ksu and being even on the field with osu.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

First of all eight is great has probably never held a football in his/her hands. Secondly neither have 99.9% of the other posters on this thread. Do I want OU to win another NC? of course. Do I or any of you have any idea how to do it NO.

vCash

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    I was tired after the KState game. Ridiculous mistakes are hard to watch. I was numb after the Cotton Bowl. Didn't matter to me either way. Notre Dame showed were weren't physical enough. But...I think the team responds to Blake Bell better than Landry. I think Landry is a good player but a dull person. What kind of leader is that for a game as emotional as football? To me it's less a matter of Stoops righting the ship and more can Blake right the ship.

I agree with what you say, but can Bell play MLB or DT? If not it will take a lot more to right the ship.

vCash

So you are saying you agree that statistically Stoops probably won't get it done and he should stay coach at Oklahoma for as long as he wants? There are 120 FBS schools and 110 of them are irrelevant with regard to this discussion, so the percentage you mentioned would go way up if you consider only the elite schools. Oklahoma is an elite football school and had two coaches that won multiple national championships, the same must be expected of any coach that plans on staying here for more than 10 years.
    if stoops stays another 15 years and wins 2 more national titles, he would be on the Mt Rusmore of college football history, and would have surpassed Bud and Barry, IMO, if he Avgs his current wins/season.

1 down 2 to go.

Go to Bobs office and get under his desk if you want to talk like this. Ain't nobody got time for your sunshine pumping.
    2 users like ibleedcrimson's post: boomermagic, Sooner 4 Life

vCash

2011 was a poor year for Bob. We should have at least won the Big XII. Mizzou and OSU were the big hurdles and we beat Mizzou. The 2011 team underachieved. There were way too many recruiting failures over the last two years.
    I thought Stoops went a long ways towards righting the ship this year. He kicked several non-participants off the team and brought Mike back to coach the D. We lost 3 games but none were an embarrassment. I don't know how you can be embarrassed about losing to the team that beat Alabama and won the Heisman. Maybe some of you have forgotten that the reason Sumlin was at OU was because his aTm offense beat us when he was offensive co-ordinator there under RC Slocum.

I don't think Bob's failure to win 3 NC's has really hurt OU's recruiting. Sumlin has been at aTm 1 year and took 2 good recruits from us this year. Sumlin didn't win a national title??? He's just a much better recruiter. Might be a better evaluator of talent as well since he offered Johnny WoManziel when no one else would. Then again maybe the aggies just got lucky on that one.
    The main problem I see with the Stoopses at this point, is their failure to fix the defense in this recruiting class. So far they have whiffed at shoring up the DL and LB positions. I don't see how we can very good this year. The Big XII doesn't look to be very good either so maybe we'll win 10???

vCash

Sumlin's coaching/recruiting abilities are not what is being questioned here.. Snyder beat us too and he is a hellova coach{I rank him as one of the very best} The fact that we lost to aTm is terrible but, What is horrible is we had the shit kicked out of us. You talk about Bob going a long ways toward righting the ship when he ran players off ? What comes to mind is why did he have such deadbeats to begin with ? AND, Why did it take him so long to run their asses off. Why

doesn't he get some damn assistants who can coach and recruit ? You don't think Bob's losing 3 NC's has hurt recruiting ? No, Players line up to play for a team currently known as CHOKLAHOMA. Get real, Get your head out..NSD is around the corner and It ain't sounding any better.. Yes, Bob came in YEARS ago and did very well BUT, I don't see him fixing this with the same staff he has now and it seems most people agree with that..Funny thing is some agree but still think he should stay.. We don't owe Bob a damn thing IMO.. The same thing he fixed years ago he is screwing up now by being too damn stubborn to do what he should do..