Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

Posted 454 day(s) ago 1354 Views 55 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 56
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1
    JDShellnutt's Avatar
    Posts
    424
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Earth

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Besides the nut job committing the killing what's the main contributing factor that drives this type of event? Not trolling, just would like to see what everyone thinks.

      Spoiler:
    My theory is the hype/media attention that these events get drive the next event. It seems to me the more attention, the weeks and weeks of 24/7 reporting just drives the next nut job to out do the last guy.

    For example when you're watching a baseball game and a fan runs on the field, the cameras pan away and don't show or comment about it because it would give other people a reason to do the same.
    So if the networks understand that principle why don't they apply it to these mass shootings?
    3 users like JDShellnutt's post: Julz, Morningwood, soonerintn


  2. #2
    Disintegration of social responsibility and involvement.
    4 users like oucub23's post: Julz, Sancho, SiggyPoke, soonerintn


  3. #3
    nocalsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,445
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Northern California

    kids isolated in their own bedrooms or young adults living alone. It plays on the mind to the extent that they start constructing a memory that does not coincide with reality, due to something that has caused emotional pain.
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke


  4. #4
    kssooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Kansas

    imo, the main contributing factor is mental illness and other contributing factors include but are not limited to the breakdown of the family unit, society, the media from the sensationalism of the news coverage of such events to the entertainment industry.
    5 users like kssooner's post: JDShellnutt, Sancho, SiggyPoke, Sooner Bob, Tundra


  5. #5
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,434
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Parenting.
    3 users like SpankyNek's post: Sancho, SiggyPoke, Sooner Bob


  6. #6
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    6,605
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1500
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Mental illness.
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke


  7. #7
    usaosooner's Avatar
    Posts
    26,972
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    41340
    Location
    hating the off-season

    Mental illness in conjunction with ease of access to weapons

  8. #8
    Psychiatric Medication
    2 users like JCBoomer's post: SiggyPoke, TIMB0B


  9. #9

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Mental illness in conjunction with ease of access to weapons
    Weapons are no more available than they have been in the past.

  10. #10

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post
    Psychiatric Medication
    No.

  11. #11
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,434
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Weapons are no more available than they have been in the past.
    Depends upon what the severity of the mental illness is. Some of these folks would have been committed at other points in our history.

  12. #12
    A lot of factors come into play that, IMO, all begin with a foundation of mental susceptibility. A person who is weak-minded enough to be susceptible to outside influences on a whacked-out level might be detached from society through video games and/or influenced by the violence seen on the local or national news. Without any really good friends, people are easily seen as mere objects.

    Guns, in a way, are like illegal drugs ... or even beer to someone underage. If somebody wants to get them, they will find a way. That will happen with or without gun control laws.

  13. #13
    Nazgul's Avatar
    Posts
    2,267
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Minas Morgul

    mental illness, society, guns, media, violent movies, violent video games, narcissism, evolution

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Parenting.
    this....
    a mind is a fragile thing.....
    mass killers are "nurtured" by their parents......

  15. #15
    smot poker's Avatar
    Posts
    3,236
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    vCash
    1000

    Your problem is flawed with the fact mass murders are not on the rise.
    The following users like this post: ngintunr


  16. #16
    lokifz1's Avatar
    Posts
    1,735
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Deep end of the gene pool.

    They seem to happen in gun free zones.

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    Your problem is flawed with the fact mass murders are not on the rise.

    try using the "reply with quote" button next time.....

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by lokifz1 View Post
    They seem to happen in gun free zones.
    what about the fort hood shooter?

  19. #19
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,434
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Or Jonestown.

  20. #20

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Or Jonestown.
    Ban kool-aid?
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke


  21. #21
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,434
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Ban kool-aid?
    Ban poisoned Kool-Aid

    (Especially when in the hands of a master brainwasher and/or at gunpoint)

  22. #22
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    3,935
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Everything imaginable except for guns.
    3 users like Yuck Fu's post: ngintunr, OnlyOneOklahoma, smot poker


  23. #23
    Sooner Bob's Avatar
    Posts
    4,749
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    North of Waterloo Road

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Parenting.
    Or lack thereof . . .

  24. #24
    Sooner Bob's Avatar
    Posts
    4,749
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    North of Waterloo Road

    I've made this comment several times before on this . . . I think people no longer respect guns. They no longer see them as a tool to provide food for their family, they no longer see it as something that is very dangerous if handled incorrectly. They see guns as a status symbol. Various cultures glorify using guns to control other people and are seen as something that gives more power to bullies and thieves.

  25. #25
    kssooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Kansas

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    I've made this comment several times before on this . . . I think people no longer respect guns. They no longer see them as a tool to provide food for their family, they no longer see it as something that is very dangerous if handled incorrectly. They see guns as a status symbol. Various cultures glorify using guns to control other people and are seen as something that gives more power to bullies and thieves.
    The entertainment industry has also shown that the way to solve your problems is with a gun. You see it in movies, tv shows, rap music, video games, etc.

  26. #26
    andymancan20's Avatar
    Posts
    2,843
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ohio

    devaluing of humanity...when a person stops being a human being and becomes either an animal or a "thing" then it becomes easier to destroy these "things" with reckless abandon...you see this not only in murders but in financial schemes and other destructive forces that appear to be shocking to those of "normal" mindset

  27. #27

    Re: Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    Everything imaginable except for guns.
    /thread

  28. #28
    Sancho's Avatar
    Posts
    4,360
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Land of milk and honey

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    what about the fort hood shooter?
    Gun free zone, essentially. Only MPs are allowed to pack heat on base.

  29. #29
    SiggyPoke's Avatar
    Posts
    3,369
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Tulsa

    Violent video games. Ban them all.

  30. #30
    Dexa's Avatar
    Posts
    2,672
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1476
    Location
    Moore

    Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    /thread
    You're right.. I bet the guns made them do it. I know mine talk to me at night all Son of Sam style. Fortunately I just tell them to pipe the **** down and I keep watching my cartoons.

  31. #31
    kssooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Kansas

    Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    You're right.. I bet the guns made them do it. I know mine talk to me at night all Son of Sam style. Fortunately I just tell them to pipe the **** down and I keep watching my cartoons.
    They are evil motherfuckers aren't they? Always wanting to go out kill kids and shit. It's a damn good thing they can't do a single thing without human operating it or else we'd be living with Skynet or some shit.

  32. #32
    smot poker's Avatar
    Posts
    3,236
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    vCash
    1000

    I blame the satanic foundation of heavy metal music.

    ~sincerely,

    1985
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke


  33. #33
    JDShellnutt's Avatar
    Posts
    424
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Earth

    Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    devaluing of humanity...when a person stops being a human being and becomes either an animal or a "thing" then it becomes easier to destroy these "things" with reckless abandon...you see this not only in murders but in financial schemes and other destructive forces that appear to be shocking to those of "normal" mindset
    My mind can't even fathom how a person shoots a bunch of kids. I've tried to examine the scenario of this shooting and just can't wrap my mind around it. I mean most people in prison for murder wouldn't even go in and kill a bunch of kids. I just don't understand this at all.
    Someone with the kind of sickness to do something like this is truly evil, not evil in the sense like "the devil maid me do it", but just evil to the core of their being. I don't think there's anything you can do with people like this except lock them up forever. There is no rule, law, or medication that can alter this kind of pure evil person. IMHO

  34. #34
    One factor I don't see mentioned very often is social media. Facebook, Twitter, video games. Message boards just like this one. There are so many different ways a child or a young adult or even an older adult can be bullied or ridiculed or excluded now in today's society. "How many friends do you have on facebook?" "How many twitter followers do you have?" "No, you can't join our Call of Duty clan!" It's a new measure of "success" or "worth", we aren't necessarily prepared to deal with because of it's newness. And it's an entire world that a person can be ostracized from and pushed to the edge, without any warning signs and without anyone realizing it. It's always "the quiet kid". "I never really knew him that well." If a person feels left out of these social mediums, or pushed out, there's no telling what kind of impact that can have on an already fragile psyche.
    The following users like this post: DHF


  35. #35
    pphilfran's Avatar
    Posts
    10,507
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000

    Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    One factor I don't see mentioned very often is social media. Facebook, Twitter, video games. Message boards just like this one. There are so many different ways a child or a young adult or even an older adult can be bullied or ridiculed or excluded now in today's society. "How many friends do you have on facebook?" "How many twitter followers do you have?" "No, you can't join our Call of Duty clan!" It's a new measure of "success" or "worth", we aren't necessarily prepared to deal with because of it's newness. And it's an entire world that a person can be ostracized from and pushed to the edge, without any warning signs and without anyone realizing it. It's always "the quiet kid". "I never really knew him that well." If a person feels left out of these social mediums, or pushed out, there's no telling what kind of impact that can have on an already fragile psyche.
    Your avatar by itself nearly drives me to mass killings...

  36. #36
    lokifz1's Avatar
    Posts
    1,735
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Deep end of the gene pool.

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    what about the fort hood shooter?

    An act of terrorism by a traitor against a military target.

  37. #37
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,434
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by lokifz1 View Post
    An act of terrorism by a traitor against a military target.
    A gun free zone military target?

  38. #38

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    A gun free zone military target?
    There are probably more people carrying in the mall at Christmas than there are on most CONUS installations. I don't remember seeing anyone carrying when I worked at Sill, or any time I've been on Tinker.

  39. #39
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.

  40. #40
    lokifz1's Avatar
    Posts
    1,735
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Deep end of the gene pool.

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    A gun free zone military target?

    As a matter of fact yes. He picked an area that was gun free rather then attack the gate guards miles away.

  41. #41
    XxSuBLiMexX's Avatar
    Posts
    4,620
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Steppin' Razors

    If we look at this scientifically, the only answer is God. God is the creator of us all and blessed us all with our beautiful minds. I have faith that he used these mass killings so that more good will come than damage was caused. Maybe elementary school kids was a bit far... but who knows, God has great things planned for us!

  42. #42
    Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    If we look at this scientifically, the only answer is God. God is the creator of us all and blessed us all with our beautiful minds. I have faith that he used these mass killings so that more good will come than damage was caused. Maybe elementary school kids was a bit far... but who knows, God has great things planned for us!
    I'm not a religous person by any measure, but you need a new schtick.

  43. #43
    lycao's Avatar
    Posts
    611
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ardmore


  44. #44
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,816
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Lack of love.

  45. #45
    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Disintegration of social responsibility and involvement.
    What exactly do you mean by social responsibility?

  46. #46
    madbrad's Avatar
    Posts
    6,479
    Join Date
    May 2011
    vCash
    1300
    Location
    Dallas

    So in the Arab world, should they ban explosives because c4 makes them blow shit up?

  47. #47

    Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    What exactly do you mean by social responsibility?
    It's our job to take care of those in our communities. Community cohesion is disintegrating.

  48. #48
    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    It's our job to take care of those in our communities. Community cohesion is disintegrating.
    Yes, agree. Also, sounds as though you agree with Hillary's quote that "[i]t takes a village."

  49. #49

    Re: Mass Shootings/Killings - What's the main contributing factor?

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    There are probably more people carrying in the mall at Christmas than there are on most CONUS installations. I don't remember seeing anyone carrying when I worked at Sill, or any time I've been on Tinker.
    Yup. It's illegal to even have one in your vehicle regardless of permit. Only security forces/mps can have one.

  50. #50
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    3,935
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    They are evil motherfuckers aren't they? Always wanting to go out kill kids and shit. It's a damn good thing they can't do a single thing without human operating it or else we'd be living with Skynet or some shit.

    Marshmellows are evil motherfuckers. Always wanting to kill kids and shit. It's a damn good thing they can't do a single thing without human operating them.

    Guns, marshmellows. What the **** is the difference.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 28th, 2013, 10:40 PM
  3. 3 OKC shootings in one day
    By Stinger_1066 in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: February 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM

Tags for this Thread