Seriously? It's come to this??

Posted 553 day(s) ago 3888 Views 56 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Read where we are "battling" the likes of Western Michigan and UAB for Oline.

Have we completely lost the ability to compete with the big boys for talent?
    Kendal Moore

vCash

Yep, it has. One weekish til NSD and we're scrapping the bottom of the barrel. I hope for staff changes after NSD, but don't expect any.

vCash

Originally Posted by Backintheday View Post

Kendal Moore
    For the most part yes I think we have. It is sad.

Last week I saw where UTerus' class is not nearly as high as it usually is (not in the top 10 at the time). I began wondering if shitty recruiting is now a Big 12 pandemic, not just isolated to us. I meant to research it, but I decided to drink more beer and then forgot about it.

If next year is the same then we can worry. A&m can't take everyone and their dog next year. But remember lane Johnson wasn't getting recruited by big time programs and he turned into a first rounder. If the product on the field suffers more than usual I will start to panic.

we are trying to piece together the latter half of this class like this was Stoops first year or something
    The following users like this post: boomersooner53

vCash

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    But remember lane Johnson wasn't getting recruited by big time programs and he turned into a first rounder.
    Yet we still couldn't run the ball with him as a starter.
    3 users like EufaulaSooner's post: boomermagic, BoonesFarmSooner, Sooner 4 Life

Re: Seriously? It's come to this??

As long as we develop and put players in the right positions, I don't care.

vCash

But remember lane Johnson wasn't getting recruited by big time programs and he turned into a first rounder.
    It's a sad day for the program when we actually recruit a TE that turns into a great tackle. What about the good ol' days when we could just recruit great o-linemen? I hate the fact that we count on players swapping positions to fill in gaps elsewhere. Sometimes it works out great but a lot of this has to do with recruiting.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

This could be a recruiting tool against us that we are being turned down by players considering elite programs. Other staffs can poise the question" there must something wrong at OU if they are going after the same players as the WAC, ConUSA, Ohio Valley leagues". Those schools should be scrambling after our leftovers.

Originally Posted by sooner68 View Post
    It's a sad day for the program when we actually recruit a TE that turns into a great tackle. What about the good ol' days when we could just recruit great o-linemen? I hate the fact that we count on players swapping positions to fill in gaps elsewhere. Sometimes it works out great but a lot of this has to do with recruiting.
    Is this serious?

Originally Posted by sooner68 View Post
    Frank Romero and Jammal Brown didn't start at tackle at OU.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

vCash

Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Is this serious?
    ****ing right I'm serious. We actually hit on Lane Johnson as a converted lineman from te so that's good. What about the o-linemen that we recruited that can't beat out a player that swapped positions? You don't see a problem there? I see that we recruited players that aren't as good as the coaches thought or we just plain suck in the recruiting dept. now.

Don't get me wrong because I'm happy that we've had players swap positions like Johnson, Brown, and others but when you have to do this then that means that your recruiting dropped off somewhere else.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Frank Romero and Jammal Brown didn't start at tackle at OU.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    No shit

Chris Chester also started at TE.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    As long as we develop and put players in the right positions, I don't care.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    The following users like this post: sooner68

The sky hasn't fallen yet,as far as having to fight schools such as UAB,UCM for players,those schools put their fair share of talent in the NFL,you can't expect to have top talent recruited every year or for that matter every other year.Right now and for the last 5-7 years,the SEC has been the flavor of the year,their success hasn't all been due to recruiting,it has helped don't get me wrong but its not the whole story.The Big12 isn't the only other conference in the nation besides the SEC,look how long the B1G has been down,the ACC,and the gawd-awful BE. All conferences and all schools compete for recruits just like OU,recruits(nowadays) go where they will be highlighted most,get the most exposure,very few stay close to home or where other members of their family went. Thinking that OU is spiraling down the drain is a bit much,things could be worse as well as better,but I don't see the gloom and doom that some of you folks are talking about.Recruiting,like winning NCs goes in cycles,live long enough and you'll see what I mean.

Originally Posted by EufaulaSooner View Post
    Yet we still couldn't run the ball with him as a starter.
    That's not a talent issue, that's a Will Patton issue.

vCash

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    That's not a talent issue, that's a Will Patton issue.
    I think that's essentially the basis of this thread... I doubt anyone has a problem with Lane Johnson. He is a great Sooner! It's the coaches who seem to have become complacent with recruiting and some don't seem all that great at coaching to begin with.

With the facilities, tradition, past success of the program - the fans and alumni should expect more than what is currently being delivered.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

As long as we win another NC I'll not complain, so be prepared for some serious ****ing.

vCash

Originally Posted by Backintheday View Post

Kendal Moore
    Oh ye of little faith, you never know which of these recruits will turn out to be the next Tavaris Jeffries or Jeff Vinson.
    2 users like Yuck Fu's post: Backintheday, Yatahaze

vCash

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    This could be a recruiting tool against us that we are being turned down by players considering elite programs. Other staffs can poise the question" there must something wrong at OU if they are going after the same players as the WAC, ConUSA, Ohio Valley leagues". Those schools should be scrambling after our leftovers.
    What saddens me is you are admitting we are no longer an elite program.. That is sad but true..

vCash

Originally Posted by Rockgod View Post
    Snyder is one of the very best to do more with less as well.

vCash

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    Oh ye of little faith, you never know which of these recruits will turn out to be the next Tavaris Jeffries or Jeff Vinson.
    Who ? True..

vCash

Originally Posted by BoonesFarmSooner View Post
    I think that's essentially the basis of this thread... I doubt anyone has a problem with Lane Johnson. He is a great Sooner! It's the coaches who seem to have become complacent with recruiting and some don't seem all that great at coaching to begin with.

With the facilities, tradition, past success of the program - the fans and alumni should expect more than what is currently being delivered.
    I DO expect more..

With everything OU has to offer, we should be doing better in recruiting. If you look at the biggest problem areas (OT,LB,TE) then you begin to notice where changes need to be made. I still think we have problems at DT as well, but if everyone qualifies there's a chance its getting better. OT recruiting has been a disaster. TE and LB positions are headed for disaster and recruiting has been horrible. I think upgrading the coaches at those 2 positions (TE,LB) would be a good place to start correcting the problems.

I have little faith, though, that anything will be done and that concerns me the most.

vCash

Damn, there is no way in hell I could live my entire life in a bomb shelter the way most of you all do.
    2 users like MoJoOkie's post: IndySooner, tennsooner

vCash

So, say we pick up a lot of these scrubs, and they preform pretty much as advertised.

Then, say against all odds, next year and the year after we get an ocean of top tier guys banging down our door to get into OU.

Are we stuck with the guy that was considering Northern Iowa and have to turn away a 5 star kid?

vCash

We lost the 2008 Broyles Award winner for best assistant coach in the country. We moved up Josh and filled the opening with the former head of the Restorative Justice program at Wisconsin Law School.

Best assistant coach in America --> Hippie lawyer

Why would good things result from this?
    2 users like TheLadiesMike's post: lobster999, OU812

vCash

But remember lane Johnson wasn't getting recruited by big time programs and he turned into a first rounder
    So our long-term recruiting plan is to hope that former QBs/TEs turn out to be good OLs? Seems legit.
    The following users like this post: Backintheday

vCash

Call me nuts, but O-line is an area I'm not overly concerned with at the moment. Some of you need to relax.

Originally Posted by Onikuno View Post
    Call me nuts, but O-line is an area I'm not overly concerned with at the moment. Some of you need to relax.
    You're right. LB and DL is where our most pressing needs are at. I'm glad we are kicking ass and taking names in recruiting for those positions, OL will come next year.
    The following users like this post: Backintheday

vCash

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    You're right. LB and DL is where our most pressing needs are at. I'm glad we are kicking ass and taking names in recruiting for those positions, OL will come next year.
    Not trying to pump sunshine, but on the DL we have 1 DT signed; another 2 strong verbals, DE has 3 strong verbals (1 of which is on campus). I won't be surprised if we get 1 or 2 more by NSD.

We are hurting at LB 2 verbals, and they are really both project types. Neither has played a lot of LB. And to top it off, one has a chance of going to Arkie. I still think we will pull off at least one pleasant surprise here too.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

Originally Posted by MoJoOkie View Post
    Damn, there is no way in hell I could live my entire life in a bomb shelter the way most of you all do.
    I think most of us see a program in decline with some obvious deficiencies that need to be corrected. There are problems that must be addressed.

Damn, there is no way in hell I could live my entire life eating a shit sandwich everyday and saying it tastes like Chick Filet.
    2 users like OU812's post: boomermagic, Sooner 4 Life

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    Not trying to pump sunshine, but on the DL we have 1 DT signed; another 2 strong verbals, DE has 3 strong verbals (1 of which is on campus). I won't be surprised if we get 1 or 2 more by NSD.

We are hurting at LB 2 verbals, and they are really both project types. Neither has played a lot of LB. And to top it off, one has a chance of going to Arkie. I still think we will pull off at least one pleasant surprise here too.
    Our spring roster has a total of five DTs on it, two of which I wouldn't trust to go for a walk around campus without getting suspended. Our one DT recruit that can make an immediate impact is a juco that appears to already be having eligibility questions. I totally agree with you about LBs though. For my ray of sunshine today I'll point out that even though our DT roster is very limited, we do have 14 WRs on roster for the spring so we are good there.

vCash

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    I think most of us see a program in decline with some obvious deficiencies that need to be corrected. There are problems that must be addressed.

Damn, there is no way in hell I could live my entire life eating a shit sandwich everyday and saying it tastes like Chick Filet.
    Well, you could simply go to Chick Fil A....demanding that your current dining environs change the menu seems a bit absurd when you keep on eating the shit sandwich.
    The following users like this post: OU812

vCash

Gay joke?
    The following users like this post: OUCarlton

vCash

I think the greenman pretty much hit it. We are known as Chokelahoma like it or not. If we had won just one of the NC's we played for things might be different. We have lost way to many games we were supposed to win. The SEC is where kids want to play. It has affected all conf. not just the Big 12-2. Until somehow either through coaching? or luck we get back to winning some big games (like ND next year) we are going to have to take the best we can.

vCash

Our spring roster has a total of five DTs on it, two of which I wouldn't trust to go for a walk around campus without getting suspended. Our one DT recruit that can make an immediate impact is a juco that appears to already be having eligibility questions. I totally agree with you about LBs though. For my ray of sunshine today I'll point out that even though our DT roster is very limited, we do have 14 WRs on roster for the spring so we are good there.
    And bemoaning the spring roster now does what?

And bemoaning the spring roster now does what?
    It shows where our dire needs are for this years recruiting class. You feel our needs on the DL have been adequately addressed, I do not. With our limited roster positions at DT I would like to see two impacting juco DTs in this years class. If you really want to get a big lump in your throat look at the Spring roster for LBs. Eight roster LBs and only two of them are listed over 220 lbs.

vCash

It shows where our dire needs are for this years recruiting class. You feel our needs on the DL have been adequately addressed, I do not. With our limited roster positions at DT I would like to see two impacting juco DTs in this years class. If you really want to get a big lump in your throat look at the Spring roster for LBs. Eight roster LBs and only two of them are listed over 220 lbs.
    I'm not saying things are great either. I would love to see an impact JUCO on campus now and get Russell in the summer. At this point its not going to happen. What you'll see in the spring is some position changes, most likey a OL or 2 will shift to DT (Nathan Hughes, was a DE turned OL). I also think a DE or two *may* shift to LB.

Everybody was panicking about WR last year, BTW all that occured after the Spring Game. I simply think we'll be ok, not great, but ok.

vCash

It's just that I've experienced a lot harsher realities, than getting the wrong OT, in my life. I didn't cry like a little **** then and I'm not going to start now. But to each their own.
    2 users like MoJoOkie's post: OUEverest, SpankyNek

It's just that I've experienced a lot harsher realities, than getting the wrong OT, in my life. I didn't cry like a little **** then and I'm not going to start now. But to each their own.
    No.. you cry like a **** every time you see someone make a negative comment. Either way you are still just being a little ****.

I'm not saying things are great either. I would love to see an impact JUCO on campus now and get Russell in the summer. At this point its not going to happen. What you'll see in the spring is some position changes, most likey a OL or 2 will shift to DT (Nathan Hughes, was a DE turned OL). I also think a DE or two *may* shift to LB.

Everybody was panicking about WR last year, BTW all that occured after the Spring Game. I simply think we'll be ok, not great, but ok.
    I was hoping Favors would move back to LB. They did move Lindley back according to the spring roster. Right now he appears to be the muscle in our LB corp. Keeping fingers crossed that he is the man and stays healthy.

vCash

No.. you cry like a **** every time you see someone make a negative comment. Either way you are still just being a little ****.
    What's your ****in' got you so far lobsterboy?

What's your ****in' got you so far lobsterboy?
    an enjoyable way to pass the time during my work day and laughing at old biker hippie ****es.
    The following users like this post: lauderdaleOU

vCash

Anyone with any sense can see OU needs to improve.. If you don't want to discuss it why **** to and about people who do ? We aren't talking about something extremely important in our lives and most people know that. Saying someone is crying like a little **** is stretching the shit out of the situation..

The whole point of this board is to discuss OU football. Opinions that are different from yours are not "crying" as you say. If something doesn't work, I don't say that it does. Denial only prolongs the problem. It never solves the problem. If you want to believe we are headed in the right direction, fine. I disagree. I'm stating my opinion that the program is in decline and I want things to change. I don't want to wait until we get passed up by a&m, osu, Baylor, etc... Forgive me for believing the coaches have a responsibility to not be lazy and complacent. There certainly is a growing body of evidence that reflects laziness and complacency.

I'm not going to come here and sing Kumbaya and say its ok. That's some other board full of sunshine pie in the sky.
    2 users like OU812's post: boomermagic, ltsooner

an enjoyable way to pass the time during my work day and laughing at old biker hippie ****es.
    pics?