Music festivals

Posted 606 day(s) ago 1373 Views 52 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Music Music festivals

As I have been seeing the lineups coming out for the music festivals this summer, I find myself getting annoyed...am I the only one?

Take http://www.coachella.com/ for instance...While there are a few bands on each day that I would like to see. there are a shit ton I have no interest in, that only seem to be added for filler to make this a 3 day festival (or in coachellas case, two of the exact same 3 day festivals).

Why did we get away from the one day, all acts are interesting thing?

Last one I went to was Ozzfest..in one day you had Jonathan Davis (awful), Serj Tankian, Hellyeah, Ozzy, and Metallica on the main stage. And a second stage with smaller acts I could peruse....

Now normally I would not go see a Jonathan Davis show, or Hellyeah...but I watched both with no problem here....instead of getting through 47 shit bands to hear the 3 good ones.

Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    As I have been seeing the lineups coming out for the music festivals this summer, I find myself getting annoyed...am I the only one?

Take http://www.coachella.com/ for instance...While there are a few bands on each day that I would like to see. there are a shit ton I have no interest in, that only seem to be added for filler to make this a 3 day festival (or in coachellas case, two of the exact same 3 day festivals).

Last one I went to was Ozzfest..in one day you had Jonathan Davis (awful), Serj Tankian, Hellyeah, Ozzy, and Metallica on the main stage. And a second stage with smaller acts I could peruse....

Now normally I would not go see a Jonathan Davis show, or Hellyeah...but I watched both with no problem here....instead of getting through 47 shit bands to hear the 3 good ones.
    Agreed on all fronts. I was at that same show, as was DM, and you're right: Jon Davis was turrible. But yeah, I wish they could just jam pack one day full of amazing acts, but the almighty dollar always wins out.

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Agreed on all fronts. I was at that same show, as was DM, and you're right: Jon Davis was turrible. But yeah, I wish they could just jam pack one day full of amazing acts, but the almighty dollar always wins out.

Serj was really good at that I thought...

Coachella is the prime example of it being about the $$..they are doing it two weekends in a row, exact same show...On day 1 there are a couple (Lou Reed ftw!) maybe 3 acts I would go and see...(Yeah Yeah Yeahs, of Monsters and Men, LR, and a few others I would tolerate)..Day 2 - Violent Femmes, DKM, Puscifer...Day 3 - would be the best day - RHCP, WuTang, Social D, Gaslight Anthem, Lumineers...

Pretty varied lineup from me...throw those all together, crm in some 3rd stage crap, and boom a one day festival for everyone.

Music festivals

I feel the same way, but I wonder if its always been that way and we were just more interested in the party than solely the music.

Getting old is weird.
    4 users like AcousticSoup's post: Julz, oucub23, soonerbornsoonerbrett, SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC

I have been finding myself watching "Warped Roadies" on Fuse on Friday nights...

Thats pretty much how I remember it being...also makes me feel really old.

You guys missed The Sword at that Ozzfest.... cause you're homosexuals... And lets not forget the great Max Cavelera was there with Cavelrera Conspiracy and did a cover of ROOTS by Sepultura. King Diamond, Kingdom of Sorrow.... anyway. Yeah Whomever organizes the metal fests are ahead of their time. The only one I would go to would be Download in Donnington England

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    You guys missed The Sword at that Ozzfest.... cause you're homosexuals... And lets not forget the great Max Cavelera was there with Cavelrera Conspiracy and did a cover of ROOTS by Sepultura. King Diamond, Kingdom of Sorrow.... anyway. Yeah Whomever organizes the metal fests are ahead of their time. The only one I would go to would be Download in Donnington England
    I wouldn't say I "missed" Sword...as when I saw them after I was rather bored. I saw enough of King Diamond on stage w/ Metallica....I caught a few of the outside acts, they were good time killers,.

I've never been to any of these festival things. I did go see Ween and the Flaming Lips at Red Rocks a few years ago, and it was kind of an all day thing because we waited outside the gate all day to get the good seats when the gates opened about an hour prior to the show. And then the Lips played for an hour or so and then Ween played for like ten hours. I would never pay to see Jonathan Davis. Did you ever see the Southpark episode with Korn? I guess they asked them to be on their Halloween show, and Korn wanted to be all cool and do this or that, so Trey and Matt said "**** it" and cut them out and made an episode with Korn looking all gay and fruity like they were a gay version of the Scooby Doo cast. It was great.

But seriously, Korn sucks.

De unnn na, de unn na unnnnnaaa

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    I've never been to any of these festival things. I did go see Ween and the Flaming Lips at Red Rocks a few years ago, and it was kind of an all day thing because we waited outside the gate all day to get the good seats when the gates opened about an hour prior to the show. And then the Lips played for an hour or so and then Ween played for like ten hours. I would never pay to see Jonathan Davis. Did you ever see the Southpark episode with Korn? I guess they asked them to be on their Halloween show, and Korn wanted to be all cool and do this or that, so Trey and Matt said "**** it" and cut them out and made an episode with Korn looking all gay and fruity like they were a gay version of the Scooby Doo cast. It was great.

Actually I think most of the group was pretty cool about it but the bassist was the one who wanted to look cool, so they decided to make him the Velma character who loses his glasses all the time.

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Actually I think most of the group was pretty cool about it but the bassist was the one who wanted to look cool, so they decided to make him the Velma character who loses his glasses all the time.
    Oh haha thats awesome. I knew it was something like that. Weren't they really pissed off after it aired?

Would you pay to see Ozzy, Metallica, The Sword, Kingdom of Sorrow, Sevendust and many more? I would and did.. unfortunatly Davis was there as well.

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    Would you pay to see Ozzy, Metallica, The Sword, Kingdom of Sorrow, Sevendust and many more? I would and did.. unfortunatly Davis was there as well.
    I don't know... I'd pay to see Ozzy, and I'd see Metallica, and the Sword. Not sure about Kingdom of Sorrow or Sevendust or many more. I'm not really into heavy metal. I'd love to see Black Sabbath.

I was also at that Ozzfest

Jonathan Davis blew large monkey ****s. I love System of a Down so it was cool to actually see Serj live. Hell Yea was cool since it was half of Pantera. The Dimebag tribute was cool because Jerry Cantrell, Kerry King, and Lars all jammed together. Seeing Ozzy was a ****ing dream come true. And Metallica...

Feel good coma

I typically avoid bands that use the Segal movie formula to name themselves.

Kingdom of Sorrow
    Lamb of God (I thought they were a Christian band for a long time)

I'm sure there's a lot more, I see them listed all the time at Ozzfest types of shows and stuff.

Here's a band name generator... my band is Rancid Fury.

I typically avoid bands that use the Segal movie formula to name themselves.

Kingdom of Sorrow
    Lamb of God (I thought they were a Christian band for a long time)

I'm sure there's a lot more, I see them listed all the time at Ozzfest types of shows and stuff.

Here's a band name generator... my band is Rancid Fury.

Thats pretty cool. Kingdom of Sorrow is Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed and Kirk Windstein of DOWN/Crowbar... they cool

Music Coachella lineup

The following users like this post: freeeewilly66

Last edited by usaosooner; January 25th, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: merged duh

Mods, please merge.

I really want to see Japandroids live. One of my favorite albums last year.
    The following users like this post: freeeewilly66

dammit Smot beat me to it!

2 users like Aurora's post: freeeewilly66, Gary Manilow

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Impressive. I got a contact high just reading the artist lineup.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Impressive. I got a contact high just reading the artist lineup.
    Again, it they cut the fat, and ran that from 9am Saturday to midnight, I would be there in a heartbeat.

I am just waiting for Bonarroo and Kansasrocksas to piss me off now.

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    WAKA WAKA!!!

Not as good as it has been in past years, but still solid with the last round of artist additions. Plus it's been ever so much more convenient the past few years now that it's not in Kansas anymore. Should be fun!

Waiting to see the Electric Forest lineup. It's a haul up to Rothbury, but always worth it.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Again, it they cut the fat, and ran that from 9am Saturday to midnight, I would be there in a heartbeat.

I am just waiting for Bonarroo and Kansasrocksas to piss me off now.
    I used to feel that way about festivals, but I've actually found that some of the lesser known shows can be more fun. Often times, with the headliners at big festivals, you have to go save a spot well in advance just to get a decent enough view of the stage. Otherwise, you're stuck watching from a mile away or watching the big screen, and that just sucks. I've discovered some cool bands by just wandering over to the smaller stages. Not to mention, the crowd at the smaller stages can be a lot more fun as well.

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    I used to feel that way about festivals, but I've actually found that some of the lesser known shows can be more fun. Often times, with the headliners at big festivals, you have to go save a spot well in advance just to get a decent enough view of the stage. Otherwise, you're stuck watching from a mile away or watching the big screen, and that just sucks. I've discovered some cool bands by just wandering over to the smaller stages. Not to mention, the crowd at the smaller stages can be a lot more fun as well.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the smaller acts...and prefer Cain's/HOB type of venues to any arena show...However, those festivals tend to have a TON of local/voted (Waka gets acts "voted" in every year)...Those are the ones I could care less about. When I go to a show, and there are 3 bands..the headliner, the support they picked, and the support the venue picked...I generally skip the first one. Plus they are probably not going to wow me, or get their big break from the 20 minutes they get,

Don't get me wrong, I love the smaller acts...and prefer Cain's/HOB type of venues to any arena show...However, those festivals tend to have a TON of local/voted (Waka gets acts "voted" in every year)...Those are the ones I could care less about. When I go to a show, and there are 3 bands..the headliner, the support they picked, and the support the venue picked...I generally skip the first one. Plus they are probably not going to wow me, or get their big break from the 20 minutes they get,
    This is pretty much always correct. The only exception I can think of was when I went to see Sugar Ray/311 at the LNC in the late 90s. They had this little band open up for them, Skinny ass lead singer with dreads down to his ass, playing a digideroo. Little band called Incubus. Me and about 14 other people stood there watching these weirdos going "wow. they're good. they could really make it, ya know?"
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

Music festivals

You're missing an incredibly important element to the festies: camping out and partying your face off. It's a place to let it out and get weird as ****. Signed: three-time Bonnaroo vet, Waka vet, and dozens of others along the way ...

Solid lineup for Coachella.

Too many repeat offenders @ Coachella this year. Waka's lineup doesn't do much for me either.

I've been to Waka 3 out of last 4 years (last year was on a cruise), prob going this year just to see Dispatch. If you are there all weekend, take the shuttle to the river which is close during the day.

I just can't believe Snoop (Dogg) Lion will be there.

I actually think Waka is INTENSELY better than it was last year with all that Wook Womp Bullshit Bath Salt Techno. I've seen Panic 29 times. While I am not gonna tour Panic, nothing wrong with a Panic show. The Panic Coke Trolls are fun enough to watch all their own. (Worth noting - I'm a Phish diehard ... used to love Panic and Cheese, but am a Phish diehard).

Dispatch = yawn. They're legends and I like their music, but their a yawn-orama.

- Umphrey's
    - Yonder
    - Gogol Bordello (Vagabond Rock! This is weird and fun as ****!)
    - Black Crowes are legends and they are one of the best jam bands that was never labeled a jam band. Chris Robinson is one of my most respected musicians. All of his project work is good and his small venue shows are some of the most intimate and amazing shows you'll see.
    - STS9: Can not go wrong with a late night Sector show. Caught their NYE show in Denver and it was tits. That's coming from a guy that doesn't do Biscuits, Tribe, Particle ... all that electro jam shit anymore. They covered Floyd NYE and it was great! Also, their light guy and light rig is widely considered to be the class of the scene, edging out even Pretty Lights, who has spent millions on his rig.
    - Emancipator - Amazing. Making so of the most organic and beautiful electronic music on the scene.
    - Gramatik - I have to mention him because he is Derrick's (Pretty Lights) protege and he is actually upstaging Derrick at this point ... I don't really follow this scene anymore, but the drama is kind of fun
    - Band of Heathens - this is my sleeper band of the festival season. If they hit homeruns, you might just see the next My Morning Jacket type act. These guys are ****ing insanely talented. If they come to your town and you like rock, country, alt country, texas country, americana, wilco, etc., check the guys out. Very good.
    - Son Volt. If you don't know, then you don't know.
    - Galactic. See above.
    - Savoy. Not wompy. Sort of Old School trancy infused with mod electronic. A three-piece. They're from Boulder, so I'm especially attached. **** EOTO. ****s.
    - Other notables, and acts that I could write a ton on:

RJD2, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (actually, KD and his gang can upstage Galactic in most cases), THE MOTET (if you go to Waka and don't catch the Motet, you're a fool ... funkiest party you'll attend ... expect costumes and Talking Heads covers), New Monsoon, Lyrics Born, Samples, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band (sleeper show for sure if you like New Orleans style funk), Mountain Standard Time (great bluegrass/rootsy from CO) ...

Fun Lineup. I'm glad to see that the Fest of the Ozarks dropped the molly and bath salt party and went back to the roots ...

Going to Bonnaroo for the first time this year (best friends just moved to Leanon, TN...so why not?)
    Also going to The Hangout in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Really looking forward to both.

Originally Posted by ngintunr View Post
    Too many repeat offenders @ Coachella this year. Waka's lineup doesn't do much for me either.
    sweet cruiser, hipster
    The following users like this post: ngintunr

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Going to Bonnaroo for the first time this year (best friends just moved to Leanon, TN...so why not?)
    Also going to The Hangout in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Really looking forward to both.
    Nice to meet you, Chad!

(before you guys get all worked up, i'm just ****ing with you ... this board is full of sensitive types, so trying to nip that in the bud ... lol)

Originally Posted by deadserious View Post
    Nice to meet you, Chad!

(before you guys get all worked up, i'm just ****ing with you ... this board is full of sensitive types, so trying to nip that in the bud ... lol)
    I was at Lemonwheel and did New Years at Big Cypress when you were still riding your big wheel ****.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I was at Lemonwheel and did New Years at Big Cypress when you were still riding your big wheel ****.
    You ARE a Chad ... otherwise you wouldn't have gotten so ****ing worked up! Relax, dude. Since you're such a vet and all, I figured you would have learned by now that the "jam" scene is the most cynical of all? Guess not. Have a good show, CHAD!

best Bonnaroo advice you'll receive, ever:

- establish fast when the cleaning trucks are gonna come by and clean the shitters ... be the first one in the shitter

- baby wipes
    The following users like this post: SpankyNek

Originally Posted by deadserious View Post
    You ARE a Chad ... otherwise you wouldn't have gotten so ****ing worked up! Relax, dude. Since you're such a vet and all, I figured you would have learned by now that the "jam" scene is the most cynical of all? Guess not. Have a good show, CHAD!
    Just gettin' old and cranky...that's all.

Great concept for a song...all the chad's are turning 40
    The following users like this post: deadserious

****ing tell me about it! I'm only 31. I just got engaged and we just bought a house. I worry about way different shit these days. Still try to hold on to the "spirit" of my days of yore, but these ****ed kids these days are a complete wreck! Dropping like flies before the first set is over!

(that's what makes me feel old, the fact that I am saying shit like, "this scene is taking a nose-dive.")

Glad you can laugh. My group and I were called "Chads" night 3 of Phish Dick's this past year and it just hurt my feelings. LOL. I didn't get visibly mad or anything ... just said to myself, "****."

LOL.

Cheers Brother.

Jesus, it is sga.

Why did you change your name hippie?

Jesus, it is sga.

Why did you change your name hippie?
    I knew it!

Music festivals

Who the **** is sga? is that some wu tang illa skrilla type shit?

I dont know how someone can say Dispatch is yawn.
    The Black Crowes sucked a couple of years ago when they headlines. I dont listen to the Crowes to jam I listen for Chris Robinson to ****ing sing. The backing band is not the strong point.

STS9 show is goooooooood...Widespread will be good again.

Music festivals

EOTO is good shit, dick!

Ill be at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival again this year. Those lineups keep getting stronger.

Thinking about festivals makes me wish I was European. Man, those guys can put on some metal festivals.

So, who wants to go to Coachella?

Who remembers the Kansas Waka where the local law had scheduled a law enforcement gadget convention to coincide with it or some shit - my buddy walked up on a guy in the woods in full camo and night vision glasses - asked to look through the goggles - said it was cool