Kindle with ads

Posted 553 day(s) ago 949 Views 35 Replies
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,159
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Kindle with ads

    I'm talking just the plain ol' Kindle that's subsidized by ads. Anyone have this? Are the ads that annoying to deal with? Is it worth the $20 extra to get one without ads?

  2. #2
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,842
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    pony up the $20

  3. #3

    Kindle with ads

    Don't be poor?

  4. #4
    The ads aren't bad. We have several Kindles in the library system here for testing and supporting our customers. The ads only appear when the device is not being used. It shows up as the screensaver and I believe a small ad on the bottom of the home screen. There are no ads visible at all while reading ebooks.

  5. #5
    Bob Swilkinson's Avatar
    Posts
    310
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    I've actually purchased a few books suggested by the ads, so I'm glad it's there. Like SoonerDude said, it's not as though they're popping up when you're turning the pages of a book, just when the device is "off".

  6. #6
    macdaddybuff's Avatar
    Posts
    4,612
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1727

    Get a Nexus 7 instead. Its better and does more things.
    2 users like macdaddybuff's post: soonerbornsoonerbret, soonerdm


  7. #7
    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Don't be poor?

    we should prolly have a dedicated thread for poor people to ask questions......
    or maybe even a separate forum....maybe call it the "sanford and son forum"....
    2 users like 87sooner's post: FriarDan, oucub23


  8. #8
    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Get a Nexus 7 instead. Its better and does more things.
    I agree if you want a device that has multiple functions. As a dedicated reader though e-ink is tough to beat. I much prefer reading on my kindle vs my ipad.

  9. #9
    SirPrize's Avatar
    Posts
    6,582
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Moore, OK

    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Get a Nexus 7 instead. Its better and does more things.
    Is the Asus Transformer any good? Been looking at the 10".

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    we should prolly have a dedicated thread for poor people to ask questions......
    or maybe even a separate forum....maybe call it the "sanford and son forum"....
    Bounce might mistake that for a tv show forum... should probably call it "Free Shit"
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner


  11. #11
    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Get a Nexus 7 instead. Its better and does more things.

    Love reading on my Nexus 7... just started my second book... the google interface is pretty awesome.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    Is the Asus Transformer any good? Been looking at the 10".
    out of envy or lust?

  13. #13
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,159
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by SoonerDude View Post
    The ads aren't bad. We have several Kindles in the library system here for testing and supporting our customers. The ads only appear when the device is not being used. It shows up as the screensaver and I believe a small ad on the bottom of the home screen. There are no ads visible at all while reading ebooks.
    Thanks. You and Bob gave exactly the info I was looking for.

    BTW Bob, who is that in your avatar?



    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Get a Nexus 7 instead. Its better and does more things.
    I don't want anything with a back light. I like the idea of e-ink for longer periods of reading as it will be easier on my eyes.

  14. #14
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,842
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Don't be poor?
    I wondered how long it was going to take before this was said

  15. #15
    macdaddybuff's Avatar
    Posts
    4,612
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1727

    Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    Is the Asus Transformer any good? Been looking at the 10".
    Yes I like it but if money is not a issue go with Galaxy 10.1 or Nexus 10. But the Transformer is nice my MIL got one on my advice and I like it.

  16. #16
    SirPrize's Avatar
    Posts
    6,582
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Moore, OK

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    out of envy or lust?
    Options for your mom while I'm on a business trip.

  17. #17
    SirPrize's Avatar
    Posts
    6,582
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Moore, OK

    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Yes I like it but if money is not a issue go with Galaxy 10.1 or Nexus 10. But the Transformer is nice my MIL got one on my advice and I like it.
    I'll look into that.

  18. #18
    macdaddybuff's Avatar
    Posts
    4,612
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1727

    Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    I'll look into that.
    Should of said its the Galaxy note 10.1 there is a samsung galaxy tab 10 that is not the one I am talking about. If in doubt its the one with the stylus.
    The following users like this post: SirPrize


  19. #19
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,842
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Should of said its the Galaxy note 10.1 there is a samsung galaxy tab 10 that is not the one I am talking about. If in doubt its the one with the stylus.
    I have the Tab 2 10.1 an love it

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Should of said its the Galaxy note 10.1 there is a samsung galaxy tab 10 that is not the one I am talking about. If in doubt its the one with the stylus.
    We got the Note 10.1 and it's a hoss... quad-core processor, and it moves silky smooth... I've been playing with the stylus on some photos and it is really cool. Comes with a watered down version of PhotoShop, probably the best "stock" photo editor I've seen on a tablet and the stylus really let's you get detailed. It's about $100 more than the regular Galaxy Tab, but worth it IMO.

  21. #21
    macdaddybuff's Avatar
    Posts
    4,612
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1727

    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    I have the Tab 2 10.1 an love it
    My son had the tab 2 7.0 its nice as well. It has an Ir remote in it. So he can control all the tvs in our house with his tablet its pretty cool.

  22. #22
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,842
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    My son had the tab 2 7.0 its nice as well. It has an Ir remote in it. So he can control all the tvs in our house with his tablet its pretty cool.
    thats why i wanted one.

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    thats why i wanted one.
    Keep meaning to try that out with ours, but I can't pry it out of the wife's hands long enough

  24. #24
    Bob Swilkinson's Avatar
    Posts
    310
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    BTW Bob, who is that in your avatar?
    Shakira, Shakira!

  25. #25
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,670
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    3380
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie

    Kindle with ads

    Buy the one with ads. If they don't bother you, great. But if they do, you can log into Amazon online, go to the place you manage the device, and pay the $20 to remove them forever.

    I have a Kindle Paperwhite and did it. Takes 20 seconds.

  26. #26
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,159
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Buy the one with ads. If they don't bother you, great. But if they do, you can log into Amazon online, go to the place you manage the device, and pay the $20 to remove them forever.

    I have a Kindle Paperwhite and did it. Takes 20 seconds.
    Kool Moe Dee

    thanks for the advice
    2 users like traxx's post: El Jefe, SirPrize


  27. #27
    I got one for Christmas, the ads don't bother me. Only see them on the front screen or maybe the menu. Haven't noticed them when reading. Save the money and buy some books.

    In addition to books, there are browser plug ins that let you easily clip web articles and send them to the kindle for later reading. Can also email it documents.

  28. #28
    Nazgul's Avatar
    Posts
    2,267
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Minas Morgul

    http://calibre-ebook.com/

    I'm just gonna post this here, in case anybody needs it.
    The following users like this post: SirPrize


  29. #29
    NAMLOOT's Avatar
    Posts
    2,215
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Iowa

    Re: Kindle with ads

    Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    http://calibre-ebook.com/

    I'm just gonna post this here, in case anybody needs it.
    What can I do with this?

  30. #30
    Yatahaze's Avatar
    Posts
    1,840
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dela-where?

    Originally Posted by NAMLOOT View Post
    What can I do with this?
    I use it to convert e-books I steal online to a format Kindle uses. I'm sure it has legit uses too....
    The following users like this post: SirPrize


  31. #31

    Re: Kindle with ads

    Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    http://calibre-ebook.com/

    I'm just gonna post this here, in case anybody needs it.
    Surprised it took this many posts.

  32. #32
    Nazgul's Avatar
    Posts
    2,267
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Minas Morgul

    Originally Posted by Yatahaze View Post
    I use it to convert e-books I steal online to a format Kindle uses. I'm sure it has legit uses too....
    Whaaat? Don't be poor, buy the e-books

    I use it to send documents to my kindle. Not that it would stop me, but using calibre to break drm is getting harder and harder.

  33. #33

    Re: Kindle with ads

    Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Whaaat? Don't be poor, buy the e-books

    I use it to send documents to my kindle. Not that it would stop me, but using calibre to break drm is getting harder and harder.
    The drm is already broken when he "steals" them.

  34. #34
    Yatahaze's Avatar
    Posts
    1,840
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dela-where?

    Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    The drm is already broken when he "steals" them.
    Like a hymen on a trampoline

  35. #35
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,842
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Kindle with ads

    You can steal e books?

  36. #36

    Re: Kindle with ads

    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    You can steal e books?
    Yes..or so I'm told.

Similar Threads

  1. Kindle Fire HD
    By cosmoxl in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: September 7th, 2012, 02:21 PM
  2. Fried the Kindle
    By mexican/ninja in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM