Kevin Martin's future

Posted 614 day(s) ago 1058 Views 19 Replies

OKC Thunder Kevin Martin's future

Says he loves OKC and would like to re-sign... What say you??

Thunder's Kevin Martin OK to put roots in OKC

"This summer, hopefully everything works out here," Martin said on Wednesday. "I haven't said that too often. But I will put it out there; hopefully I have found a home in the NBA. I love playing with this group of guys. The organization is great to me. The community has been great to me. It's the happiest I have been during my NBA career."
    Read the rest here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--th...233809753.html
    5 users like VRO405's post: COLLISON ANGRY, HeroOfTheDay, HudBannon, Julz, Keef

Well what would be your alternative? I've just seen six or so games but between that, box scores, etc., he seems to be solid. He looks like a good player and seems to be a positive on the team. Why wouldn't you want him? Surely you don't give up Harden and then not keep him.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: HudBannon, VRO405

Yeah I think he definitely stays unless he demands a bunch of money or something, but it doesn't sound like he wants to be a problem with this team.

Watching the game last night I felt sorry for Maynor a bit. He has to know his clock is ticking in OKC, and he knows this is a really special team that has a real shot at getting back to the finals. He gets traded, and he may never be on a team like this again.

Re: Kevin Martin's future

I think he'll stay unless he pulls a Harden.

I definitely want him back. He fits this team so well. The question is, does OKC want him back? We haven't heard them say anything about the matter.

I think an offer around 8-9 Mill for 2-3 years would be fair.

Anyone else?

Hopefully the fact that he is claiming that he's found happiness in OKC might mean he wouldn't mind taking a bit of a pay-cut.

But I would LOVE to have him back for the next few years and allow PJ3, Liggins, and others to develop into a solid bench.

Dude is an ASSASSIN

Originally Posted by Cowboy1964adam View Post
    I think an offer around 8-9 Mill for 2-3 years would be fair.

Anyone else?
    I would play for that.

Maybe other teams don't want to offer 4 years and the Thunder could get him a little cheaper per year by giving him a 4th year.

My thoughts on KMart:

1. He's expendable. He is an interchangeable part in that he doesn't establish a particular strategy on either end of the floor. So we need to get the best value you we can at his position.

2. I think the Thunder wait to see him in the playoffs unless a trade option falls on the table before February that you can't refuse (I think there's a <2.5% chance something like that happens since he's in a contract year). After we see if he can be effective in the playoffs, then we figure out what his value is.

3. The absolute max I think we could afford to pay him is $11M/year. He would have to play lights out throughout the entire playoffs and we would have to win the Championship. If he just contributes, I think he's worth $8M - $9M. If he struggles in the playoffs, I'd give him no more than $7.5M.

4. If KMart truly wants to stay in OKC, he will absolutely have to take under his market value.

Also, Lamb has just had an explosion in the D League like Reggie did just before he bumped Maynor out of the rotation. I think that Lamb will get meaningful minutes in an upcoming game that will either be an ego check and let him realize he still has more work to do...

Or he plays well which will create (good) problems because there still is not enough minutes.

The better Lamb plays the rest of the season, the less that Presti is willing to offer K Mart IMO.

Regardless of what happens, I trust Sam Presti in whatever decision he makes
    The following users like this post: Teo9969

Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    Also, Lamb has just had an explosion in the D League like Reggie did just before he bumped Maynor out of the rotation. I think that Lamb will get meaningful minutes in an upcoming game that will either be an ego check and let him realize he still has more work to do...

Or he plays well which will create (good) problems because there still is not enough minutes.

The better Lamb plays the rest of the season, the less that Presti is willing to offer K Mart IMO.
    KMart is almost guaranteed an offer. It's the amount that will subject to review. If the dude lights it up in the playoffs...he'll play his way into some money. While I think the max we could pay him is $11M, I honestly don't think we offer him $10M+. I think ~$8M for 2 years or ~$7.25M for 3 years is ideal (provided he stays consistent to his production throughout the playoffs)

It would be nice if K-Mart could stay another 2 or 3 years until Jeremy Lamb is ready. With Rajon Rondo going down for the season I wonder if Maynor could be traded to Boston.

Maynor for Jeff Green, straight up?

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    lolwut

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    Nah, Jeff Green does nothing for OKC at this point IMO

Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    Nah, Jeff Green does nothing for OKC at this point IMO
    I mean...if we could get Jeff Green for good money, he's actually a really good backup for Durant.

And did you see him guard Lebron the other night? Pretty salty...

Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I mean...if we could get Jeff Green for good money, he's actually a really good backup for Durant.

And did you see him guard Lebron the other night? Pretty salty...
    For $9mil a year, that is pretty steep for any back-up, unless its James Harden... Don't you think?

Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    For $9mil a year, that is pretty steep for any back-up, unless its James Harden... Don't you think?
    I'd pay Jeff Green $7M/year, and I think he'd fit beautifully as a bench player.