What's The difference ?

Posted 695 day(s) ago 3316 Views 87 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 88
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1

    What's The difference ?

    What's the difference In OU and Alabama ? Don't give me that ole sec bullshit excuse. Bama has Saban and we have Bob.

  2. #2
    AcousticSoup's Avatar
    Posts
    13,529
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Falls

    What's The difference ?

    The SEC.

    It really is that simple.
    2 users like AcousticSoup's post: IndySooner, oorah_okie


  3. #3
    madbrad's Avatar
    Posts
    6,783
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas

    A lot is perception. While we have some exceptionally talented guys, Alabama is on a different level.

  4. #4

    What's The difference ?

    Saban's a better coach. OU's not getting him so wish for something else.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Saban's a better coach. OU's not getting him so wish for something else.
    No Shit ? I would call him and offer him 10 million and see if bama tops that offer.

  6. #6

    What's The difference ?

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    No Shit ? I would call him and offer him 10 million and see if bama tops that offer.
    You wouldn't have that singular power. A lot of people have to agree to it and purely from a dollars and cents decision it wouldn't be worth it. On the field tho it probably would.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    You wouldn't have that singular power. A lot of people have to agree to it and purely from a dollars and cents decision it wouldn't be worth it. On the field tho it probably would.
    I disagree, First place someone has that power and yes financially it would be worth it.

  8. #8

    What's The difference ?

    You're saying he would be able to produce an additional 5 million of profits for the athletic dept? I would disagree with that.

    And maybe I'm wrong but I thought all salary offers had to be approved by board?

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    You're saying he would be able to produce an additional 5 million of profits for the athletic dept? I would disagree with that.

    And maybe I'm wrong but I thought all salary offers had to be approved by board?
    Hey, I don't know but for the purpose of discussion I like the idea. Ok, So I would offer him 9 million and get board approval..

  10. #10

    What's The difference ?

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Hey, I don't know but for the purpose of discussion I like the idea. Ok, So I would offer him 9 million and get board approval..
    There's really no discussion unless you throw in ethical issues of the two. Saban's better and if money was no option and you could overlook all else, hire him. Pretty easy decision.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic


  11. #11
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    24,348
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westeros

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Hey, I don't know but for the purpose of discussion I like the idea. Ok, So I would offer him 9 million and get board approval..
    Sounds like you're all over this.

  12. #12
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,116
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    Don't know Saban's history with the NCAA. Has he ever been caught cheating or any of his teams put on probation?
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353


  13. #13
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    No Shit ? I would call him and offer him 10 million and see if bama tops that offer.
    really? I love OU football, but is it really THAT big of a deal? that important? 10 million dollars to one guy so you can enjoy 3 more wins a year?
    I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact that those kids (and coaches) are busting their asses for our enjoyment and entertainment. that's it.
    4 users like Wailer's post: Oldnslo, OrangeBlossom, oupunk, surus


  14. #14

    What's The difference ?

    Fn idiot.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    really? I love OU football, but is it really THAT big of a deal? that important? 10 million dollars to one guy so you can enjoy 3 more wins a year?
    I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact that those kids (and coaches) are busting their asses for our enjoyment and entertainment. that's it.
    Obviously it's not important to you.. So NO, It's not a big deal at all if someone feels the same as you.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Sounds like you're all over this.
    I am on it..
    2 users like boomermagic's post: Sooner 4 Life, Stein7495


  17. #17
    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Don't know Saban's history with the NCAA. Has he ever been caught cheating or any of his teams put on probation?
    Don't think so.

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    Fn idiot.
    Ain't it the truth ? lol

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    There's really no discussion unless you throw in ethical issues of the two. Saban's better and if money was no option and you could overlook all else, hire him. Pretty easy decision.
    Oh I agree !

  20. #20

    What's The difference ?

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Ain't it the truth ? lol
    That was directed your way.
    6 users like Sooner209's post: barlowd, DHF, McRib, MoJoOkie, oorah_okie, sovasooner


  21. #21
    Jason's Avatar
    Posts
    9,511
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    Fn idiot.
    There is no bigger f'n idiot on this board than boomermagic. What amazes me is he proves it daily.
    2 users like Jason's post: Sooner209, Soonerlife


  22. #22
    Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    That was directed your way.
    Ha, I knew that..

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    There is no bigger f'n idiot on this board than boomermagic. What amazes me is he proves it daily.
    It's funny how the weirdo's like you can get on here and say things but then it's not like you are saying it to someones face so I understand sweetheart..

  24. #24
    How about we talk about football ?

  25. #25
    Jason's Avatar
    Posts
    9,511
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    It's funny how the weirdo's like you can get on here and say things but then it's not like you are saying it to someones face so I understand sweetheart..
    Just like you, when talking about Stoops? Keep talking, fool.

  26. #26
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    14,495
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    The Alabama staff is able to independently evaluate talent at a much higher level.
    Once they have identified the talent they want they are able to sign many of them.


    Stoops needs to improve his staff’s ability to independently evaluate and sign quality players.

  27. #27
    Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Just like you, when talking about Stoops? Keep talking, fool.
    Is that all you can do FOOL ? How about talking some football FOOL.

  28. #28
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The Alabama staff is able to independently evaluate talent at a much higher level.
    Once they have identified the talent they want they are able to sign many of them.


    Stoops needs to improve his staff’s ability to independently evaluate and sign quality players.
    That may be true but it seems to me everyone knows about the 4 and 5 star guys so what's to evaluate ? AND, If you oversign you weed out the ones you evaluated wrongly right ?

  29. #29
    If texas gets rid of Mack they will offer ole Nick a hand full of money I guarantee.. We should do it before that happens.

  30. #30
    Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    A lot is perception. While we have some exceptionally talented guys, Alabama is on a different level.
    I agree but WHY ?

  31. #31
    jimmyd's Avatar
    Posts
    74
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    So let me get this right..

    Alabama wins back to back BCS Titles. Sooners lose in the cotton bowl to aTm. Half the team is bouncing out so your looking at a 7 or 8 win season.

    Offer Saban 10 million to come coach your team.

    And he would leave Alabama for money? That was a question..

    You honestly think that Saban would leave a championship calibur team that pays him very well, to come coach this losing team for an extra few mil. Wow you really are pompus and you really have your head up your asses. Guys you are gonna have to face the facts, Sooners are probably gonna suck for the next 2 years anyway. The real question is "Do you have faith in Stoops to recruit enough freshman talent to make you a BCS champ contender in 3 years"? If you think he can then why in the hell should the school over spend rediculusly to get Saban?

  32. #32
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    5,480
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Saban> Bob. Ok, that is out of the way.
    Oversigning. Ok, that is out of the way.
    Paying players, OK, that is out of the way.

    However, an interesting thing about the SEC. Whoever the best team is seems to be able to poach the entire southeast for the best players.

    Alabama is a darn good recruiting base considering that it's not a huge state but just about all the states around it have lots of players. Alabama is getting top players from other southeastern states besides Alabama.

    Finally, I think Saban realized that smashmouth football would work again as all the defenses have been designed to stop the spread. What we will see is that defenses will get bigger and stronger and less athletic to stop the smashmouth stuff.

    And let's not discount plain old luck.

    Colt McCoy doesn't go down? Bama is in for a dogfight and perhaps doesn't get NC #1

    OSU doesn't have another plane crash incident and Quinn Sharp kicks a field goal six inches back to the left. Bama isn't in a position for NC #2.

    Les Miles doesn't crap his pants in the final seconds of the Bama game?
    Mark Richt has the QB spike the ball the end of the CCG?
    Bama doesn't play for it this season.
    2 users like Yuck Fu's post: Oldnslo, tennsooner


  33. #33
    Jason's Avatar
    Posts
    9,511
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    If texas gets rid of Mack they will offer ole Nick a hand full of money I guarantee.. We should do it before that happens.
    Further evidence you have no idea what you're talking about. A coach like Saban will never go to Texas. Texas won't relinquish complete control over the program to him, and he has no interest in all the schmoozing required to keep the old boys' network happy. Add the Longhorn Network obligations to te mix, and voila...no elite coach wants all that, when they can win elsewhere and be happy.

  34. #34
    LOL at you thinking Saban doesn't care about money. Dude is a freak of a coach. He could build his own championship team. Alabama is one because he built them.

  35. #35
    Jason's Avatar
    Posts
    9,511
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    So let me get this right..

    Alabama wins back to back BCS Titles. Sooners lose in the cotton bowl to aTm. Half the team is bouncing out so your looking at a 7 or 8 win season.

    Offer Saban 10 million to come coach your team.

    And he would leave Alabama for money? That was a question..

    You honestly think that Saban would leave a championship calibur team that pays him very well, to come coach this losing team for an extra few mil. Wow you really are pompus and you really have your head up your asses. Guys you are gonna have to face the facts, Sooners are probably gonna suck for the next 2 years anyway. The real question is "Do you have faith in Stoops to recruit enough freshman talent to make you a BCS champ contender in 3 years"? If you think he can then why in the hell should the school over spend rediculusly to get Saban?
    Guys? Plural? One f'n idiot is saying it, and you think that's the consensus opinion? It appears the one with his head up his ass is you.

    And, speaking hypothetically, if the money were offered, sooner59 is correct. But, $10m/yr will never happen, so the issue is moot.

  36. #36
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,913
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    what's the difference between Bama and OU?

    About 37 national championships.
    The following users like this post: Yuck Fu


  37. #37
    Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Guys? Plural? One f'n idiot is saying it, and you think that's the consensus opinion? It appears the one with his head up his ass is you.

    And, speaking hypothetically, if the money were offered, sooner59 is correct.
    Give meni/jimmy a break it gets confusing popping from one name to the other
    The following users like this post: IndySooner


  38. #38
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    what's the difference between Bama and OU?

    About 37 national championships.
    and half of those were issued by readers digest and womans weekly
    The following users like this post: Yuck Fu


  39. #39

    What's The difference ?

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    What's the difference In OU and Alabama ? Don't give me that ole sec bullshit excuse. Bama has Saban and we have Bob.
    The biggest difference I see is that over the last 6-7 years Alabama has been able to recruit at an extremely high level. Over signing is a part of it, but they are getting more 4 and 5 stars than anyone other than USC. IMHO, coaching is not our problem but recruiting is a big problem. Either because they don't work at it or maybe don't believe in it.. I don't know.. But they are NOT getting that handful of elite difference makers we use to get.

  40. #40
    OU is in a similar, if not better, position now than bama was when saban took over. He could come build a similar championship program at OU. However, he's an **** and I don't want him at ou. There are many great coaches that could win a national title at OU. I think bob could again, IF he takes a long hard honest look at the program and fixes what is wrong. I just don't think Bob will admit what's wrong and fix it.
    The following users like this post: Jason


  41. #41
    Saban and Urban are cut from the same clothe. Both live and die football 24/7
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life


  42. #42
    Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    OU is in a similar, if not better, position now than bama was when saban took over. He could come build a similar championship program at OU. However, he's an **** and I don't want him at ou. There are many great coaches that could win a national title at OU. I think bob could again, IF he takes a long hard honest look at the program and fixes what is wrong. I just don't think Bob will admit what's wrong and fix it.
    OU is in a 10x better position than Bama was when Saban took over. It's not even close. Bama wouldn't have been looking for a new head coach if they were in our position.

  43. #43
    Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    Give meni/jimmy a break it gets confusing popping from one name to the other
    Meni is Meni Troupakis, Jimmy is James Dalton we are friends in real life, are you jealous? Do you have friends in real life? or do you just post on message board, and chat online.

  44. #44
    jimmyd's Avatar
    Posts
    74
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Nick Saban is not walking through the door. He is never coming to OU. Its a pointless discussion.

    The real discussion is Stoops. Can he or can he not bring OU back to glory? I for one doubt it. I think maybe the program needs to think about the future and look at a new coach. Ou is not Bama, Stoops is not Saban, the players are not equal, the recruiting is not as good, hell the differences are endless, the only common thing between Bama and OU is they both have a sports department.

  45. #45
    JimmyD is correct a lot of differences, how about what do Bama and OU have in common?
    great history
    great fan base
    The following users like this post: boomermagic


  46. #46
    It has very little to do with the coaches and everything to do with SEC athletes. Last season's Bama team coached by Stoops would hammer last year's OU team coached by Saban. Great athletes make coaches look like geniuses. It's really that simple. I know you probably don't want to hear that, but truth hurts sometimes.

  47. #47
    jimmyd's Avatar
    Posts
    74
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Don't know Saban's history with the NCAA. Has he ever been caught cheating or any of his teams put on probation?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

    Rett Bomar is all i have to say to this question..

  48. #48
    to paraphrase Papa Johns
    Better coaching
    Better players
    Alabama football

  49. #49
    Jason's Avatar
    Posts
    9,511
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

    Rett Bomar is all i have to say to this question..


    Know the facts before you elude to blaming Stoops for Bomar.

  50. #50
    Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Further evidence you have no idea what you're talking about. A coach like Saban will never go to Texas. Texas won't relinquish complete control over the program to him, and he has no interest in all the schmoozing required to keep the old boys' network happy. Add the Longhorn Network obligations to te mix, and voila...no elite coach wants all that, when they can win elsewhere and be happy.
    You are showing your lack of smarts. Saban has proven he will leave for money and not just once. Come on, You can't be that dumb ?

Similar Threads

  1. What was the difference?
    By andymancan20 in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 8th, 2013, 12:30 AM
  2. Can you tell the difference?
    By OUrage in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
  3. What's the difference between a cop and a criminal?
    By Muscletang in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM

Tags for this Thread