** Oklahoma Sooners vs Kansas Jayhawks **

Posted 601 day(s) ago by tydude3810 Views 97 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Re: ** Oklahoma Sooners vs Kansas Jayhawks **

Gayhawks D is GOOD. Sooners gonna have to hit some threes to have a chance.

Not too bad. We are playing tough and definitely outmatched but we are only 8 behind.
    If we can get Withey in foul trouble we might cut into that, but we gotta make the most out of each possession.

Honestly our defense has been pretty good so far. Seems like most of their points have been on fast breaks or just loose balls we can't quite seem to come up with. Hields defense w outstanding that half. Grooms..... Not so much.

Originally Posted by Mahler View Post
    I haven't been overly impressed with Cousins. That's not to say he won't be good. Just don't see what he brings to the table yet.
    I agree. But I don't think that it is that I'm not impressed by him, it's just that I am so impressed with Hornbeak and Hield that it seems like Cousins is just a slight step behind the other two freshman

Originally Posted by COLLISON ANGRY View Post
    I agree. But I don't think that it is that I'm not impressed by him, it's just that I am so impressed with Hornbeak and Hield that it seems like Cousins is just a slight step behind the other two freshman
    Agreed.

Cousins seems to have lost a lot of confidence, especially in his shot. Hes bricking open shots and now starting to pass on em. He plays decent defense, but he seems really nervous with the ball in his hands the last 8 or 9 games

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Cousins seems to have lost a lot of confidence, especially in his shot. Hes bricking open shots and now starting to pass on em. He plays decent defense, but he seems really nervous with the ball in his hands the last 8 or 9 games
    Just a freshman thrust into the spotlight of Big 12 conference play. I think he'll look better in the back-half of the conference schedule, and all his playing time this year will be huge for next year.

Alright lets go

Withy is so mobile for his size... What a player. We need to get him in foul trouble

that a baby M'Baye

Another stupid pass leads to a turnover and easy basket for KU. We've got to stop helping them.

Originally Posted by COLLISON ANGRY View Post
    Withy is so mobile for his size... What a player. We need to get him in foul trouble
    Good player but gets away with a lot of contact on defensive end

Turnovers killing us
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

Gah

If Kansas is one of the best teams in college basketball, then college basketball is in really bad shape. This is terrible.

Looks like we've given up on offense. Defensively, we're fine.

Well, that's ballgame.

We're pretty lucky it took them this long to open up a 14 pt lead. KU has played good defense but we have really played poorly.
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

We don't have the total team talent to win against them but the turnovers didn't help a bit

Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    If Kansas is one of the best teams in college basketball, then college basketball is in really bad shape. This is terrible.
    I agree there is no dominant great teams.

Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    They are a top ten team, probably around 5 I think if you ranked them all on equal ground. They have enough talent everywhere, but this is one of those KU years I think where they just play to their competition a little bit. And the big XII is down overall. I don't think they're a title winner this year, but I don't see them getting more than one or maybe two losses the rest of the year, and that means a #1 seed for them.

I really like the top of the big ten. Ohio State is solid everywhere, Michigan and Indiana are really good, MSU is solid like OSU. I could see all of them in the elite 8 with the right seeding. Wisconsin doesn't have it this year, I don't think.

I'm not sold on the big east. Louisville just lost their 3rd in a row, and Syracuse plays close with everyone it seems like. Georgetown looks like they could sneak up there toward the top the way they are playing.

But overall, yeah. Its a down year for college bball as far as really good teams go.

But really... if you look at all the top teams, KU has really good guards, plays really good defense, has a solid 7 footer in Withey, has talent off the bench... so yeah they might not be blowing teams out every night but they are one of the best teams in cbb.

Great execution right there. Cut it down to 10 with 3 minutes left. LET'S GO!!!

Proud of the fight in this team
    2 users like Sooner 4 Life's post: COLLISON ANGRY, markbradleyfanboy

hield is the future

Originally Posted by markbradleyfanboy View Post
    hield is the future
    Hield is going to fun to watch in the next few seasons

They certainly don't have any quit in them. I think we can expect a good game vs KU in Norman.

SoonerBounce Guest

Mclemore us good man.

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    Proud of the fight in this team
    I like their resolve.

Dang those two 3's by Kansas put the daggar in us. But I do agree, we put up a lot of fight in this game and that is what I am most proud of. After seeing this game, we definitely have a good chance to beat them in Norman

kansas made 6 3's out of their last 8. killed us every time we tried to build some momentum

CBB needs a 24 second shot clock
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay

This in my opinion was a very respectable loss. We hung in there all game. Gotta take care of business at home vs KSU and @ ISU I think. I think Baylor will do work on us inside and I don't expect a win in Waco.

Tough loss but not a bad loss. Let's beat these fools in Norman!!

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    This in my opinion was a very respectable loss. We hung in there all game. Gotta take care of business at home vs KSU and @ ISU I think. I think Baylor will do work on us inside and I don't expect a win in Waco.
    Not sure we get a win at Iowa State. It's possible but VERY difficult. KSU at home is more likely.

I don't mind watching this team lose to Kansas the way they did. It's light years ahead of the abomination we put out there a few years ago. Kruger is going to have us in a really nice spot in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    I don't mind watching this team lose to Kansas the way they did. It's light years ahead of the abomination we put out there a few years ago. Kruger is going to have us in a really nice spot in a couple of years.
    I agree. OU can at least compete with Kansas now.

we had to play a perfect game to have a chance.......
    no shame in this one.....in our last final 4 year.....we lost up there by 7....
    i still believe we can get them in norman....
    osby/mbaye won't miss that many shots at home...

No such thing as a good loss BUT the team seemed to have a lot of fight in them, didn't back down and was playing hard at the end. I really thought KU would pull away in the last few minutes and it might be near a 20 point loss but that didn't happen. Put this game behind us and go forward. Like what I see on the court. Just need better shooting to have any chance and if somehow OU could ever recruit a really good 7 footer(even a Jabari type) they can win a lot of games in the future.

Withey = the next Kansas stiff in the NBA

I hope that Presti doesn't fall into that trap again. He just washed his hands of the most recent Kansas stiff in the NBA.

Originally Posted by Mahler View Post
    Not sure we get a win at Iowa State. It's possible but VERY difficult. KSU at home is more likely.
    I agree, but I think we need to get both to keep us in a good spot for the NCAA tournament. If we lose both, and do go 0-5 in this stretch, we're outside looking in and have a lot of work to get back in. If we get one or the other, which I think we do, we are okay but slipping and we will have to get a road win somewhere else that is a good one, like @OSU or something and that will be tough. Or we'll have to win a couple in the big XII tourney. I'm with you though, I think we can beat KSU but ISU will get us, but I think we can beat them and if we do that would be awesome. I don't think we're beating Baylor in Waco, especially after the game today and how KU's bigs handled us. I think Baylor's bigs can do some of that, too... and we're just too young still on the perimeter.
    The following users like this post: Mahler

after looking at the stats....
    disappointing......pledger 2-4 from 3 with 10 total....
    osby only 12 on 4 of 16 shooting
    mbaye shot 4 of 11
    hornbeak only took one shot and missed....none from 3
    we also got out rebounded by 10.....

withey played very well but osby/mbaye missed alot of shots that had nothing to do with withey......
    hornbeak really needs to step up and take/hit some 3s....

i was actually surprised to see turnovers only amounted to 11.....seemed like twice that....

i think our defense was pretty damn good....

remember....last year ku coasted to an easy 22 pt win in lawrence.....prolly could have named their margin of victory.....
    we are light years better and more competitive this year....
    we played hard till the end....
    this team has pride in themselves....

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    we had to play a perfect game to have a chance.......
    no shame in this one.....in our last final 4 year.....we lost up there by 7....
    i still believe we can get them in norman....
    osby/mbaye won't miss that many shots at home...
    Osby has to get his body into Withey at Norman. Hopefully the refs will call the body contact.

Osby has to get his body into Withey at Norman. Hopefully the refs will call the body contact.
    I thought Osby was doing a good job early of using pump fakes to get those trees in the air, and then going up and getting some contact. But they just had too much size and too many guys to rebound when we missed. Even after those fakes if Osby got a look it still wasn't a clean one. Our guards were totally outmatched mostly based on the fact that KU has great depth and recruiting so they have great Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, and freshmen and we have some pretty good freshmen who wouldn't sniff the court at KU.
    I think the margin of victory says a lot about how hard our guys worked and also a little about how KU plays down to their competition. I think they could go toe to toe with a lot of the big boys like Duke or Syracuse or Michigan or whoever but they can also let a team like us hang around and be within ten when you watch the game and think they are up 25. That could hurt them if they play a team like Butler or Creighton in the tourney.
    Regardless, I think the game in Norman goes much the same. We are just outmatched everywhere against KU.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

I hoenstly think its a very bad idea to try and pound the ball inside to Osby and try to get Whithey in foul trouble. Ro is 6'8, doesnt have a great back to the basket post game, and going against a guy over 7 feet tall who very rarely leaves his feet on defense and hardly ever fouls. He hasnt had more than 3 fouls in a game this entire season and averages 1.4 fouls per game. You just aren't going to get the guy in foul trouble.

Yesterday, Osby had a ton of open looks from 15 feet. He is very capable of hitting that shot and Whithey gave it to him all game. He seriously had 5 or 6 completely open jumpers where Whithey wasnt even close to Osby. Unfortunately for us, he missed (almost) all of em. That said, if he can hit a couple early on, Whithey will be forced to close out quicker, which should allow Osby to drive past him. I have no trouble with Osby taking jumpers because we know he can hit those consistently. If he hits a couple, it should loosen up the interior and THEN, you try to go inside.

We dont have a good shot to beat Kansas, but I think trying to challenge Whithey on the low block is playing right into their hands. They dont have to double down there so no shooters are open on kick-outs. and we arent going to score 1 on 1 down there anyways because Whitehy doesnt have to venture more than 5 feet from the bucket.

I hoenstly think its a very bad idea to try and pound the ball inside to Osby and try to get Whithey in foul trouble. Ro is 6'8, doesnt have a great back to the basket post game, and going against a guy over 7 feet tall who very rarely leaves his feet on defense and hardly ever fouls. He hasnt had more than 3 fouls in a game this entire season and averages 1.4 fouls per game. You just aren't going to get the guy in foul trouble.

Yesterday, Osby had a ton of open looks from 15 feet. He is very capable of hitting that shot and Whithey gave it to him all game. He seriously had 5 or 6 completely open jumpers where Whithey wasnt even close to Osby. Unfortunately for us, he missed (almost) all of em. That said, if he can hit a couple early on, Whithey will be forced to close out quicker, which should allow Osby to drive past him. I have no trouble with Osby taking jumpers because we know he can hit those consistently. If he hits a couple, it should loosen up the interior and THEN, you try to go inside.

We dont have a good shot to beat Kansas, but I think trying to challenge Whithey on the low block is playing right into their hands. They dont have to double down there so no shooters are open on kick-outs. and we arent going to score 1 on 1 down there anyways because Whitehy doesnt have to venture more than 5 feet from the bucket.
    I don't think its the greatest way, either, but its all this OU team can do. Every player on the court was overmatched by KU yesterday. Hield played his ass off and got some hustle plays like turnovers when KU got lazy. I know Osby can hit those jumpers, but not at a high enough percentage to beat KU. Even if he gets hot and hits 3 in a row, Withey or whoever can go out to him and still outsize us down low with their 4. Plus, doing that we have no rebounding inside at all to battle those guys. When Fitz came in he made a couple of those shots but unless we shot at a clip of like 60% we were not a threat, really.

Pretty much, we were just completely outmatched by the benchmark of our league, and we played really tough just to keep it within ten or so. The ways we could have got on them were to hope they overlooked us, and hope they were lazy and let us get some fast breaks like we did against UT, or to just shoot lights out and play out of our minds while they shot terribly. None of that happened. KU was ready, were really good getting back on defense, limited our breaks, and locked us down on defense. Meanwhile, they played well offensively and they seem to have multiple guys that can score and don't mind spreading the wealth. They are just really really good and we are not close to that yet.

1.4 fouls per game is laughable for a guy that tries to block every single shot.

1.4 fouls per game is laughable for a guy that tries to block every single shot.
    Maybe but I didn't think he fouled us much yesterday. I thought he fouled mbaye on that dunk attempt (mbaye got called for a charge) and I think he had one foul called on him. Othe than that, I didn't see anything that really looked like a foul. He's very good about playing disciplined defense. Hedges swing at the ball wildly. O course being 7 feet helps but still, here ally doesn't foul much.