Skiing at Breckenridge

Posted 633 day(s) ago 1117 Views 14 Replies

Skiing at Breckenridge

Thinking about doing a "boys only" trip with our six-year old son who has skied only once. I hear that Breck is pretty easy, so if that's the case, he should have a great time on the slopes. Haven't ever been there, so any recommendations re: where to stay, good restaurants, etc? Thanks.

Skiing at Breckenridge

Empire Burger. Curry ketchup. You're welcome.

Breck is so large that there are enough runs of every level to keep you busy.

You have to go eat at Downstair's at Eric's. Pizza, burgers, beer, sports and most importantly a large arcade to keep you busy while you wait.

Yes, Breckenridge is a very easy mountain to ski.

Hotels: Mountain Thunder Lodge, One Ski Hill Place (this one is ski in/ski out), Valdoro Mountain Lodge, or Hyatt Main Street Station
    Restaurants: Le Petit Paris, Soupz On, Moe's Orginal Bar B Que, Crepes a la Carte, Giampetro Pizzeria, and the Lost Cajun

On a side note, the only bar I remember is the Breckenridge Brewery, but there a plenty of good options.
    2 users like Jason's post: McRib, Morningwood

Thanks to all.

Questions for Jason: You mentioned One Ski Hill Place (and glad you did, given that it's a ski in/ski out). Do you recall if it's really close to the children's ski school? Also, are the restaurants in the hotel decent?

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Thanks to all.

Questions for Jason: You mentioned One Ski Hill Place (and glad you did, given that it's a ski in/ski out). Do you recall if it's really close to the children's ski school? Also, are the restaurants in the hotel decent?
    I think so, but don't quote me. I know it's right by the Colorado Superchair. So, if the ski school is by there, then you're good. I never ate at any hotel restaurant. Too many options on Main Street. Breck has a lot of great eateries.

We've been there twice. There are affordable ski-in ski-out condo rentals in Breckenridge, just a thought. The last one we rented had underground parking, a really nice hot tub and sauna and was a short walk to a lift. Breck has two or three very good beginners' slopes/areas that you'll probably be on most of the time with your son. Getting to the top of the mountain and skiing back down can be done in about 30 minutes round-trip (it's not a huge mountain). Highly recommend Giampietro's pizza (try their gelato, the best Ive ever had), and Columbine Cafe for breakfast was very seriously good. Rasta Pasta was surprisingly good. I believe there is no 'bad' food in Breckenridge. Breckenridge has kindof a European vibe, most restaurants included.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Almost forgot, Breckenridge Brewery is a good place to go too. Good food and lots of great beer to try. Get the Oatmeal Stout or Vanilla Porter.

Agree on Rasta Pasta.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

Skiing at Breckenridge

Glad someone else said it first so I wouldn't come across as a dick here, but Breck is a tourist nightmare. I absolutely refuse to go to Breck unless it's in the summer. I ski Loveland, Copper, Winter Park, Steamboat because I actually like to ski instead of stand lines and pay Vail Resorts my hard earned money. My advice? Rent a place in Frisco and ski Copper. Drive the 15 mins into Breck at night if you would like ...
    The following users like this post: soonerintn

Possible lodging options at link........just something to check out.

the site is easy to use, just wait for the map to load, then click on the state and go from there

www.vrbo.com

Breckenridge is my favorite place to ski. It is huge so there are a ton of runs for all levels of ages. Another great place to eat that nobody mentioned is Bubba Gump. Pretty cool place. It's based off of the movie Forrest Gump

The thing I like about Breckenridge is you can start on one side and it takes all day to get to the other side, and you're all wore out and ready for the hot tub, assuming they've had decent snowfall and all runs are open. Its been a while since I was there. Last time they had 3 peaks (8, 9, and 10, I think). Stayed at a condo that you could ski up to. Outdoor hot tub with "cold plunge" right beside. That is an experience.

Mary Jane / Winterpark is similar. Maybe not quite as big, but still lots of runs to keep you busy if they've had good snow.

count me another non-fan of breck. i would do winter park or if you don't mind getting outside of colorado, snowbird. winterpark is huge and has plenty of beginner runs and a decent town to for additional food and lodging options. on the other hand, snowbird is smaller but more laid back. it's pretty much all resort, but they still have pretty good food options. as a bonus, they have a beginner slope that they keep open fairly late at the bottom of the hill right outside the main resort and an awesome roof top pool and hottub with an incredible view of the slopes. plus some of the best powder i've ever skied.