The Americans on FX

Posted 1614 day(s) ago by Reclaimer37710 Views 369 Replies
Page 7 of 8 5 6 7 8
    My favorite show on tv right now. Good to know it's coming back soon. I guess "Better Call Saul" would be my #2, FWIW.

bump for season premiere.

It didn't start on time, and didn't repeat like it was scheduled to do...so, I saw probably 3/4 of the show.(I missed the first part) I won't divulge what I saw, in order to not spoil. Comments from others are now invited.

Here's a couple of reviews of the first episode from this new season (#5):

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2017/03/th...w-amber-waves/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/a...ecap.html?_r=0
    Last edited by SoonerNow; March 8th, 2017 at 03:00 AM.

with all this renewed talk about Russia, surely they can renew this show for a few more seasons?

Originally Posted by Sooner JK View Post
    with all this renewed talk about Russia, surely they can renew this show for a few more seasons?
    That would be great but I believe Joe and Joel have stated they will wrap up the story they wanted to tell in this and the next season.

it was a joke....

I personally liked the
      Spoiler:
    ten straight minutes of digging / no dialogue.
    2 users like BoomerSooner2578's post: land burglar73507, VUGear

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner2578 View Post
    I personally liked the
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
    Especially not being totally surprised at what they found

Glad the show is back. First scene in, they make you say, "wtf?"
    The following users like this post: BoomerSooner2578

I personally liked the
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
    I liked the episode just fine except that I thought the dig did go on too long.
    Oh well, it's done. I AM looking forward to whatever they have planned for Martha in the USSR, or wherever they have her.

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
      Spoiler:
    Especially not being totally surprised at what they found
    It's scenes like that that make me think this show might drag it's legs a little bit on the way to the conclusion that's already been written. The Sopranos drug it's legs during season 6. Anyone remember watching that entire episode when Tony, Bobby, Carmella, and Janice are all at that lake house, and Tony and Bobby go out on that little boat? Yeah... let's not do that. I turned to my assorted, yet distinguished (kidding), Sopranos company during that episode and said "I ****ing swear to god, if someone's head doesn't explode in the next thirty seconds, were giving up on the series." We stuck it out but, still, that last season of The Sopranos was a ****ing errand to watch weekly on HBO in real time until the last four episodes.
    christ, I'm drunk.

Well, it isn't like nobody knows how things work out for the Soviet Union. Honestly, they can easily work the characters into continuing roles as spies for the new Russia if they really wanted to. It's difficult to not root for Philip and family, but most likely, it will not end good for them. Oleg will do something to expose them with Beeman involved. Maybe the kids can get away. Maybe Paige does something to get them caught.

Seems to me Paige has a lot of indecision about her affinity for Mother Russia. Even Phillip has quite a bit, but he's in so deep and he's proud of his ability as a primo spy/assassin. Elizabeth is a fully programmed KGB.

Well, it isn't like nobody knows how things work out for the Soviet Union. Honestly, they can easily work the characters into continuing roles as spies for the new Russia if they really wanted to. It's difficult to not root for Philip and family, but most likely, it will not end good for them. Oleg will do something to expose them with Beeman involved. Maybe the kids can get away. Maybe Paige does something to get them caught.
    I think they'll end it before Glastnost / Perestroika, lest it get boring. Did you guys notice that Konstantin Chernenko is the General Secretary in the paintings in the embassy now? They never covered the transition of of power in the USSR, how Andropov being the former head of the КГБ would have changed things for Direcortate S operatives like Phillip and Elizabeth, Andropov's death, what it meant for the КГБ, etc... wasted opportunity for a story line regarding The Centre. That was real-life drama in the eighties.
    They also never addressed how the 1983 Soviet Missile Scare affected Phillip and Elizabeth. Wasted opportunity. If you're going to throw in Reagan's
    Star Wars farce, at least address the 1983 Soviet Missile Scare and what Andropov's appointment meant to the КГБ.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    Seems to me Paige has a lot of indecision about her affinity for Mother Russia. Even Phillip has quite a bit, but he's in so deep and he's proud of his ability as a primo spy/assassin. Elizabeth is a fully programmed KGB.
    Paige has literally zero allegiance to "The Motherland" or it's globalist ideals. She's too young to understand the principles her parents have dedicated their lives to. Even kids her age that lived in the Soviet Union or Eastern Bloc countries in 1983-1984 were too young to understand the complexities of Dialectical Materialism / Economic Determinism that made the Marxist ideology of the early eighties so appealing to the utopia crowd of the time. She's starting to learn "Systema" (the Krav Maga of the КГБ) from Elizabeth, but we've never seen a philosophy lesson RE: Kapital, or the like, taught to her by either parent.
    Her only allegiance is sympathizing with her parents' life choices and obeying mommy / daddy.
    Last edited by BoomerSooner2578; March 11th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

Paige has literally zero allegiance to "The Motherland" or it's globalist ideals. She's too young to understand the principles her parents have dedicated their lives to. Even kids her age that lived in the Soviet Union or Eastern Bloc countries in 1983-1984 were too young to understand the complexities of Dialectical Materialism / Economic Determinism that made the Marxist ideology of the early eighties so appealing to the utopia crowd of the time. She's starting to learn "Systema" (the Krav Maga of the КГБ) from Elizabeth, but we've never seen a philosophy lesson RE: Kapital, or the like, taught to her by either parent.
    Her only allegiance is sympathizing with her parents' life choices and obeying mommy / daddy.
    I didn't intend to convey that Paige understood or espoused the principles of USSR, just her love and respect for her parents and their dedication to a cause of some kind has certainly gotten her attention. She's just not sure what to make of it yet.

I didn't intend to convey that Paige understood or espoused the principles of USSR
    oh, yeah. I picked up on that. I was just clarifying. I need a breathalyzer for logging on to LT.

Would be cool, and not sure if ever done in a series...but as they wrap up this timeline they could jump forward to modern time and start over yet still use references/people from 80's to current timelime. Paige would be close to 48 or so too...

and we're officially dragging our feet now...
    *sigh*
    What does everybody think about Renee (Beeman's new GF) possibly being КГБ?
    Seriously, we are light years away from things happening like Elizabeth beating the shit out of Claudia.

*sigh*
    Seriously, we are light years away from things happening like Elizabeth beating the shit out of Claudia.
    The preview for episode #8(next tuesday) made it look like Elizabeth might be homing in on the Ruskie woman who Stan and Adderholt convinced to help out the FBI. What will Elizabeth do to her?...
      Spoiler:
    yeah, we're already 7 episodes in, and only 2 killings so far.

*sigh*
    that was my first thought - that Stan's gf was an "american"

knowing that this show is going to end, i sorta think the center is going to finally tire of Phillip's usefulness and he'll catch wind of it and go on the lam with family - or get killed

that was my first thought - that Stan's gf was an "american"

knowing that this show is going to end, i sorta think the center is going to finally tire of Phillip's usefulness and he'll catch wind of it and go on the lam with family - or get killed
    The recent previews indicate the Jennings have considerable apprehension about the MO of mother Russia, regarding the use of hazardous materials. The seeds of doubt are growing.

The recent previews indicate the Jennings have considerable apprehension about the MO of mother Russia, regarding the use of hazardous materials. The seeds of doubt are growing.
    Phillip has made several comments that would indicate that he's having doubts

The whole deal with Henry going off to school makes me wonder what they have planned for that

Still a good show, but calmer this season than it used to be. I'm looking forward to the shitsplosion that will occur when Stan finds out the Jennings are Ruskies.

I think the Henry going off to school stuff was introduced to show that Phillip would fight against it. Phillip's heart isn't in what he does and hasn't been for some time. His marriage is largely a sham, leaving his relationship with his kids as his only meaningful relationship with another human being. Henry's leaving and more and more Paige is gravitating toward becoming another Elizabeth.

If/when Phillip somehow finds out his other son traveled to see him but was turned away by "the centre," the shit will truly hit the fan.
    The following users like this post: the-rover

4 more episodes this season. It will be interesting to see what the writers have in store for the conclusion of all the principal players.

So,
    1)does the Russian Orthodox or whatever that religious wedding that was performed mean that the Jennings are going to become more loyal to each other as a family, and less to mother Russia?
    2)Does Paige actually believe the version of reality her mother presents, or does she still have much skepticism?

So,
    1)does the Russian Orthodox or whatever that religious wedding that was performed mean that the Jennings are going to become more loyal to each other as a family, and less to mother Russia?
    2)Does Paige actually believe the version of reality her mother presents, or does she still have much skepticism?
    I haven't watched last night's episode. I'll watch it Sunday.

I haven't watched last night's episode. I'll watch it Sunday.
    There are surprises, as usual. This whole season has been setting things up for the final resolutions, I suppose, as there is less violence than there used to be.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    I think the Henry going off to school stuff was introduced to show that Phillip would fight against it. Phillip's heart isn't in what he does and hasn't been for some time. His marriage is largely a sham, leaving his relationship with his kids as his only meaningful relationship with another human being. Henry's leaving and more and more Paige is gravitating toward becoming another Elizabeth.

If/when Phillip somehow finds out his other son traveled to see him but was turned away by "the centre," the shit will truly hit the fan.
    See, i disagree completely with the whole "marriage is a sham"...they have grown considerably closer, and you can see the dislike both of them show when they know they have to use sex to work a target....the first few seasons, marriage was definitely shamville - but they have grown together in their personal relationship

Just my opinion
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

It would seem to me that after hearing accounts of Russia using chemicals or biological agents as weapons, remembering the poverty from one's own youth , seeing current starvation in Russia, finding out it's likely the American wheat research is to make a weather and pest resistant improved strain of wheat, seeing the prosperity in America, desire of Americans to improve their personal lives and deal with problems(the EST seminars) etc., one would think Phillip and Elizabeth would at least begin to reevaluate their situation.

Methinks Pastor Tim and his wife could be headed for an Agent Gaad esque end

Methinks Pastor Tim and his wife could be headed for an Agent Gaad esque end
    Yeah - "new job in South America" may take on a whole new meaning
    2 users like Sooner JK's post: mgsooner, SoonerNow

Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
    of course it looks like now Phillip and Elizabeth care for each other more than they did before, but it's less clear they believe in Russia as much. They are now over the top with Pastor Tim.

Pure revenge, the Jennings' need a proper lesson in human behavior, especially survival behavior.

Pure revenge, the Jennings' need a proper lesson in human behavior, especially survival behavior.
    Yeah, their last 2 hits were unnecessary. They'll get caught.

Beeman will out Oleg, Oleg gives info that will expose the Jennings.

Yeah, their last 2 hits were unnecessary. They'll get caught.

Beeman will out Oleg, Oleg gives info that will expose the Jennings.
    i don't think the residentura has info on the aliens/americans

i did laugh at the conversation between Beeman and Henry "you could be a spy"

lol

i don't think the residentura has info on the aliens/americans

lol
    Didn't Philip meet with Oleg or Arky on camera in a previous season?

no

Originally Posted by SoonerNow
    no
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAmerican...aware_of_phil/

From the url I linked:

"They are definitely aware. I forget which episode but Philip confronts Arkady in a store and tells him to tell the center that if they try to contact Paige, Philip and Elizabeth would no longer be spies. I think they're aware of the missions that they carry out."

We certainly don't know whether the Rezidentura now knows about the KGB agents, since Arkady is gone.

i think Arkady knew there were illegals - i think that was common knowledge, and he likely knew what they were working on (with little detail)

but i don't think he knew who they were specifically - and Oleg definitely never had any contact with Phillip or Elizabeth

i could be wrong - i'm sure the internet will show me as such - but that's my memory

i think Arkady knew there were illegals - i think that was common knowledge, and he likely knew what they were working on (with little detail)

but i don't think he knew who they were specifically - and Oleg definitely never had any contact with Phillip or Elizabeth

i could be wrong - i'm sure the internet will show me as such - but that's my memory
    I hazily remember the scene where Philip had a clandestine conversation with Arkady, but don't remember what was said. The new head(Tatiana) of the Rezidentura might not know about Philip and Elizabeth, though.

The Americans on FX

More and more it feels to me that the most interesting end to this show would be Philip & Elizabeth never get caught and the USSR dies. Then they're essentially stuck in the US with the rest of their lives ahead of them. Bills to pay, no more financial backing, the soul crushing nature of regular ordinary life. Imagine Elizabeth with nothing to do but go to work and book cruises everyday.

Them getting caught or killed feels like a paint by numbers ending to me.

"the soul crushing nature of regular ordinary life"?!?!?... Trotsky forbid!

From the url I linked:

"They are definitely aware. I forget which episode but Philip confronts Arkady in a store and tells him to tell the center that if they try to contact Paige, Philip and Elizabeth would no longer be spies. .

That is exactly what happened. Oleg can't identify the Jennings, but I'd bet he can give up enough to get them caught.

More and more it feels to me that the most interesting end to this show would be Philip & Elizabeth never get caught and the USSR dies. Then they're essentially stuck in the US with the rest of their lives ahead of them. Bills to pay, no more financial backing, the soul crushing nature of regular ordinary life. Imagine Elizabeth with nothing to do but go to work and book cruises everyday.

Them getting caught or killed feels like a paint by numbers ending to me.
    You could be just as right about the ending scenario. But as brutal as they have been sometimes, I feel like something else happens. Why else is Oleg and Martha even being shown in any current episodes?
    The following users like this post: mgsooner

Martha is definitely a wild card. With her being in the USSR it's hard to see how her story comes full circle...she and Philip end up together somehow?

Martha is definitely a wild card. With her being in the USSR it's hard to see how her story comes full circle...she and Philip end up together somehow?
    Ha! Wouldn't that be something? At this point I think Martha wound rather have Phillip strung up
    2 users like the-rover's post: mgsooner, SoonerNow

Sooooooooo many possibilities. I bet there will be a lot of fun things happen in the last 15 episodes.
    The following users like this post: mgsooner