The Americans on FX

Posted 1554 day(s) ago by Reclaimer32126 Views 320 Replies
Page 7 of 7 5 6 7
    My favorite show on tv right now. Good to know it's coming back soon. I guess "Better Call Saul" would be my #2, FWIW.

bump for season premiere.

It didn't start on time, and didn't repeat like it was scheduled to do...so, I saw probably 3/4 of the show.(I missed the first part) I won't divulge what I saw, in order to not spoil. Comments from others are now invited.

Here's a couple of reviews of the first episode from this new season (#5):

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2017/03/th...w-amber-waves/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/a...ecap.html?_r=0
    Last edited by SoonerNow; March 8th, 2017 at 03:00 AM.

with all this renewed talk about Russia, surely they can renew this show for a few more seasons?

Originally Posted by Sooner JK View Post
    with all this renewed talk about Russia, surely they can renew this show for a few more seasons?
    That would be great but I believe Joe and Joel have stated they will wrap up the story they wanted to tell in this and the next season.

it was a joke....

I personally liked the
      Spoiler:
    ten straight minutes of digging / no dialogue.
    2 users like BoomerSooner2578's post: land burglar73507, VUGear

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner2578 View Post
    I personally liked the
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
    Especially not being totally surprised at what they found

Glad the show is back. First scene in, they make you say, "wtf?"
    The following users like this post: BoomerSooner2578

I personally liked the
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
    I liked the episode just fine except that I thought the dig did go on too long.
    Oh well, it's done. I AM looking forward to whatever they have planned for Martha in the USSR, or wherever they have her.

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
      Spoiler:
    Especially not being totally surprised at what they found
    It's scenes like that that make me think this show might drag it's legs a little bit on the way to the conclusion that's already been written. The Sopranos drug it's legs during season 6. Anyone remember watching that entire episode when Tony, Bobby, Carmella, and Janice are all at that lake house, and Tony and Bobby go out on that little boat? Yeah... let's not do that. I turned to my assorted, yet distinguished (kidding), Sopranos company during that episode and said "I ****ing swear to god, if someone's head doesn't explode in the next thirty seconds, were giving up on the series." We stuck it out but, still, that last season of The Sopranos was a ****ing errand to watch weekly on HBO in real time until the last four episodes.
    christ, I'm drunk.

Well, it isn't like nobody knows how things work out for the Soviet Union. Honestly, they can easily work the characters into continuing roles as spies for the new Russia if they really wanted to. It's difficult to not root for Philip and family, but most likely, it will not end good for them. Oleg will do something to expose them with Beeman involved. Maybe the kids can get away. Maybe Paige does something to get them caught.

Seems to me Paige has a lot of indecision about her affinity for Mother Russia. Even Phillip has quite a bit, but he's in so deep and he's proud of his ability as a primo spy/assassin. Elizabeth is a fully programmed KGB.

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    Well, it isn't like nobody knows how things work out for the Soviet Union. Honestly, they can easily work the characters into continuing roles as spies for the new Russia if they really wanted to. It's difficult to not root for Philip and family, but most likely, it will not end good for them. Oleg will do something to expose them with Beeman involved. Maybe the kids can get away. Maybe Paige does something to get them caught.
    I think they'll end it before Glastnost / Perestroika, lest it get boring. Did you guys notice that Konstantin Chernenko is the General Secretary in the paintings in the embassy now? They never covered the transition of of power in the USSR, how Andropov being the former head of the КГБ would have changed things for Direcortate S operatives like Phillip and Elizabeth, Andropov's death, what it meant for the КГБ, etc... wasted opportunity for a story line regarding The Centre. That was real-life drama in the eighties.
    They also never addressed how the 1983 Soviet Missile Scare affected Phillip and Elizabeth. Wasted opportunity. If you're going to throw in Reagan's
    Star Wars farce, at least address the 1983 Soviet Missile Scare and what Andropov's appointment meant to the КГБ.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    Seems to me Paige has a lot of indecision about her affinity for Mother Russia. Even Phillip has quite a bit, but he's in so deep and he's proud of his ability as a primo spy/assassin. Elizabeth is a fully programmed KGB.
    Paige has literally zero allegiance to "The Motherland" or it's globalist ideals. She's too young to understand the principles her parents have dedicated their lives to. Even kids her age that lived in the Soviet Union or Eastern Bloc countries in 1983-1984 were too young to understand the complexities of Dialectical Materialism / Economic Determinism that made the Marxist ideology of the early eighties so appealing to the utopia crowd of the time. She's starting to learn "Systema" (the Krav Maga of the КГБ) from Elizabeth, but we've never seen a philosophy lesson RE: Kapital, or the like, taught to her by either parent.
    Her only allegiance is sympathizing with her parents' life choices and obeying mommy / daddy.
    Last edited by BoomerSooner2578; March 11th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

Paige has literally zero allegiance to "The Motherland" or it's globalist ideals. She's too young to understand the principles her parents have dedicated their lives to. Even kids her age that lived in the Soviet Union or Eastern Bloc countries in 1983-1984 were too young to understand the complexities of Dialectical Materialism / Economic Determinism that made the Marxist ideology of the early eighties so appealing to the utopia crowd of the time. She's starting to learn "Systema" (the Krav Maga of the КГБ) from Elizabeth, but we've never seen a philosophy lesson RE: Kapital, or the like, taught to her by either parent.
    Her only allegiance is sympathizing with her parents' life choices and obeying mommy / daddy.
    I didn't intend to convey that Paige understood or espoused the principles of USSR, just her love and respect for her parents and their dedication to a cause of some kind has certainly gotten her attention. She's just not sure what to make of it yet.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    I didn't intend to convey that Paige understood or espoused the principles of USSR
    oh, yeah. I picked up on that. I was just clarifying. I need a breathalyzer for logging on to LT.

Would be cool, and not sure if ever done in a series...but as they wrap up this timeline they could jump forward to modern time and start over yet still use references/people from 80's to current timelime. Paige would be close to 48 or so too...

and we're officially dragging our feet now...
    *sigh*
    What does everybody think about Renee (Beeman's new GF) possibly being КГБ?
    Seriously, we are light years away from things happening like Elizabeth beating the shit out of Claudia.

*sigh*
    Seriously, we are light years away from things happening like Elizabeth beating the shit out of Claudia.
    The preview for episode #8(next tuesday) made it look like Elizabeth might be homing in on the Ruskie woman who Stan and Adderholt convinced to help out the FBI. What will Elizabeth do to her?...
      Spoiler:
    yeah, we're already 7 episodes in, and only 2 killings so far.

*sigh*
    that was my first thought - that Stan's gf was an "american"

knowing that this show is going to end, i sorta think the center is going to finally tire of Phillip's usefulness and he'll catch wind of it and go on the lam with family - or get killed