My church hates the gays

Posted 642 day(s) ago 8196 Views 385 Replies
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3

My church hates the gays

At First Presbyterian Church in Edmond to vote whether or not we leave the Indian Nations Presbytery bc they are soft on gays and actually ordain them in some churches or could anyway. So the fear mongering radicals in the church are driving us out of the Indian Nations - despite it being pretty clear that we would never have a gay pastor (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Gotta love Oklahoma where not even a church is hardcore enough for some folks.
    2 users like SoonerSean03's post: Aldebaran, McRib

I thought all churches hated the gays.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

My church hates the gays

Ban churches?
    6 users like McRib's post: Aurora, cscsooner, OUMallen, Sooner 4 Life, URNotserious, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    Some less than others. Mine hates 'em. This will be our last day of attendance. Kind of hard to teach our kids to be tolerant and understanding when the church we've taken them to for years has decided that's not the message they want to send.

And sorry mods - move this to the dome when ready.
    The following users like this post: McRib

How did the vote turn out?

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    Some less than others. Mine hates 'em. This will be our last day of attendance. Kind of hard to teach our kids to be tolerant and understanding when the church we've taken them to for years has decided that's not the message they want to send.

And sorry mods - move this to the dome when ready.
    I thought churches were of the "hate the sin but love the sinner" mindset. You can't blame a church for taking a stand.

Why would you go to church? God is dead.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    How did the vote turn out?
    Will know later. They only need 680-something and the place was packed. So I'm sure it will pass easily. I doubt it would have gotten this far wo knowledge they would hit the number. The folks next to us voted no. So there's at least four.

How do you hate the sin but love the sinner if you make it clear the sinner isn't welcome?
    4 users like SoonerSean03's post: brokebacksooner, lycao, McRib, OUMallen

My church hates the gays

I'd say there are three types of churches as far as homosexuality is concerned. 1) actually hate gays and would not allow a known gay to worship at their service 2) hate the act of homosexuality but condemn the action. Would accept gays into the fold but teach the act of homosexual relationships and sex is against gods will 3) completely accept gays, their relationships and the act of gay sex.

Did I miss a philosophy? Where does your church fall?

You can love the sinner and not put them in a leadership position. Churches have to take a stand when no one else still will

Chic fila is not the place to take a stand, church leadership is

My church hates the gays

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    I thought churches were of the "hate the sin but love the sinner" mindset. You can't blame a church for taking a stand.
    You can when Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of the butt ****ing that happened there.

That was my grandparents reasoning why gays were bad.

I didn't quote them verbatim, but the song remains the same.

In before Dome

How much of the vote centered on laity being gay and that of ordaining gay clergy? I can see many not wanting to ordain but would be ok with homosexuals to be a regular part of church

The main issue is the ordination of gays (though much has been said about homosexuality in general). My point is that making that an issue worth leaving the presbytery and paying the money necessary (since the presbytery owns the bldgs) puts up a pretty clear sign that the church would prefer not to have gays in attendance. Especially since our church has a say in the pastoral staff - so the chances of the church ever having a gay pastor is pretty close to zero.

I don't mind gays so much as I hate First Presbyterian Church Edmond. Got married there once.

You are welcome to find a different church that holds your view.
    2 users like FriarDan's post: 87sooner, Clark W. Griswold

The main issue is the ordination of gays (though much has been said about homosexuality in general). My point is that making that an issue worth leaving the presbytery and paying the money necessary (since the presbytery owns the bldgs) puts up a pretty clear sign that the church would prefer not to have gays in attendance. Especially since our church has a say in the pastoral staff - so the chances of the church ever having a gay pastor is pretty close to zero.
    your post makes it pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about....
    the church leadership doesn't support the ordination of homos.....
    do your tithes go to the regional or national organization? maybe they don't want their $$ supporting ordination of homos...

if your minister preaches against adultry....does that mean your church doesn't want adulterers in attendance?

if the gays want their lifestyle sanctioned by the church.....they're barking up the wrong tree....

I'm pretty sure the gays would still welcome the people from your backwards ass church to their meetings

Will know later. They only need 680-something and the place was packed. So I'm sure it will pass easily. I doubt it would have gotten this far wo knowledge they would hit the number. The folks next to us voted no. So there's at least four.

How do you hate the sin but love the sinner if you make it clear the sinner isn't welcome?

would you want a preacher in your pulpit who admits that he's cheating on his wife and tells you it's ok?

Does Candy Loving hate gays?
    The following users like this post: SoonerSean03

My church hates the gays

Leave it to 87 to show us how to be hateful & exclusionary, just like a good Christian.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Leave it to 87 to show us how to be hateful & exclusionary, just like a good Christian.
    let's see...you are catholic.....are openly gay homos welcomed/ordained into the priesthood?
    you are a member of a church that hates the gays...
    why do you support them.? why do you hate gays?

leave it to you to not have a clue

87 is excluding gays from the pulpit, not exactly hateful

Looks like you'll never preach

My church hates the gays

Y'all're great sarcasm recognizers. And not just from this thread, but from all threads in which he posts, 87 epitomizes the judgey, holier-than-thou Christian who turns non believers off from Christianity.

I think Sean is doing a great thing by teaching his children tolerance and understanding.

Originally Posted by FriarDan View Post
    You are welcome to find a different church that holds your view.
    That's why I said we went for the last time.

Y'all're great sarcasm recognizers. And not just from this thread, but from all threads in which he posts, 87 epitomizes the judgey, holier-than-thou Christian who turns non believers off from Christianity.

I think Sean is doing a great thing by teaching his children tolerance ad understanding.

your church bans gays and women from the pulpit.....so why do you hate gays and women? you are quite the pretender....

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    I don't mind gays so much as I hate First Presbyterian Church Edmond. Got married there once.
    LOL. We've sadly had two father's funerals there. More happily two baptisms. So we really are sad to leave.

come on man....don't mess up riblet's label making party....

My church hates the gays

@ The OP: Why does not wanting gay pastors equate to hate? Do Catholics and Baptists hate women?
    The following users like this post: fdubzou

Moved to Dome

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Why does not wanting gay pastors equate to hate? Do Catholics and Baptists hate women?
    Well the policies/politicians that some support can be viewed in that light but thats a entirely different discussion

My church hates the gays

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Moved to Dome

Now I can't participate.

My church hates the gays

Well the policies/politicians that some support can be viewed in that light but thats a entirely different discussion
    Sure. I was directing my comment to the op. Edited for clarity.

Re: My church hates the gays

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post

Now I can't participate.
    Me either. I'm just gonna eat some M&Ms and spank my monkey.

so you're good with those who do not support gay clergy? they're not hateful?
    but if you support a politician who is anti gay marriage.....you are hateful?

My church hates the gays

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    All churches (people) interpret the bible different. That is why their are so many denominations of the Christian faith. They all trace their roots back to Catholicism though. That's where it started. For what that's worth that is how I understand it. I also understand that the most traditional/fundamentalist Christian view is that homosexual/gay is a sin/wrong.
    I'm sure their are Christian churches that accept & welcome the gay community too.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    @ The OP: Why does not wanting gay pastors equate to hate? Do Catholics and Baptists hate women?
    Well - perhaps. But if not they certainly view them as incapable which is silly.

The motion passed. No idea on the tally. But the homophobes are pictured on newsok celebrating the break.

Catholics don't hate gays; they just don't want them to gay off...at least very often anyway.

Well - perhaps. But if not they certainly view them as incapable which is silly.

The motion passed. No idea on the tally. But the homophobes are pictured on newsok celebrating the break.
    incapable of what?
    incapable of preaching the truth? yes
    what is a gay minister going to tell his/her congregation about homosexuality?

Kudos to you for setting the right example for your kids. Bet that they will respect you for your decision later in life (if they don't already).
    The following users like this post: McRib

At First Presbyterian Church in Edmond to vote whether or not we leave the Indian Nations Presbytery bc they are soft on gays and actually ordain them in some churches or could anyway. So the fear mongering radicals in the church are driving us out of the Indian Nations - despite it being pretty clear that we would never have a gay pastor (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Gotta love Oklahoma where not even a church is hardcore enough for some folks.
    Candy loving hates gays.

A number of churches left the Episcopalean church (or split) over the ordination of homo bishops. It's fine for the church to follow its beliefs...hopefully we haven't gotten to the point where the government or PC dictates that.
    The following users like this post: Yasiel Puig

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Catholics don't hate gays; they just don't want them to gay off...at least very often anyway.
    Every sperm is sacred,
    Every sperm is great
    The following users like this post: fdubzou

87 played 'Monster Rain' a lot as a kid

My church hates the gays

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    87 played 'Monster Rain' a lot as a kid
    Has he played Chocolate Rain as an adult?
    The following users like this post: SpankyNek

So it's homophobic for a church to not condone homosexual behavior? Better find the church of PC...it seems to be your calling.

Sean, if you want a tolerant church and live in the metro area, my wife and I go to Mayflower United Church of Christ and would be happy to sit with you.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Sean, if you want a tolerant church and live in the metro area, my wife and I go to Mayflower United Church of Christ and would be happy to sit with you.
    so you're no longer attending a doc church?

come on riblet......why did you run away and hide?
    i want to hear all about your hateful and exclusionary church.....and why you support it?