HBO greenlights another WW2 miniseries.

Posted 635 day(s) ago 2025 Views 33 Replies

Television HBO greenlights another WW2 miniseries.

Link

This time, it's about the Air War in the European Theater.

Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are developing a third World War II miniseries for HBO, this time focusing on the air war.

While "Band of Brothers" covered the war on land and "The Pacific" the sea, the untitled new project will look at the officers and enlisted men who served in the Eighth Air Force against Germany. Based in England, the men of the "Mighty Eighth" faced harsh physical, psychological and moral challenges.

The story will be based in part on Donald L. Miller's "Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against **** Germany," though other books may provide source material as well, HBO said.

Hanks and Spielberg will executive produce, along with Gary Goetzman. The production companies are Playtone and Amblin Television.

"Band of Brothers" won six Emmys, including Outstanding Miniseries, in 2002. "The Pacific" win eight Emmys, including, again, Outstanding Miniseries, in 2010.
    ****. Yes.
    2 users like oorah_okie's post: El Jefe, lauderdaleOU

This is the stuff my grandfather did! Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What kind of aircraft, fdub?

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post

My late grandfather was in the Pacific series. He was a marine and was present in the real life "peaches" scene.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

I hope it's more BoB and less Pacific. The flow of the Pacific seemed off due to hopping around a bit too much.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    What kind of aircraft, fdub?
    I'm not sure, he passed away when I was 18 months old and my grandmother just passed in December. I'll have to ask my dad.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post

Same here....B-26's.

My grandpa was in Africa and came across the Mediterranean to Sicily and Italy and up into Europe that way.

I didn't see BoB. Did they cover Africa?

Re: HBO greenlights another WW2 miniseries.

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    My grandpa was in Africa and came across the Mediterranean to Sicily and Italy and up into Europe that way.

No. Easy's first jump was d day. They talked about garnier's brother who served in Africa and died in Italy but that was it.

Re: HBO greenlights another WW2 miniseries.

Nope. It was just the European campaign post-D Day.

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post

Same here....B-26's.
    Same with mine. He was a tail gunner. I'm not sure what all he went through but he didn't really like talking about his experiences.

I didn't see BoB.
    Who are you?

I'm excited about this. My grandfather didn't ly, but was an instructor in the air corp for the machine guns in the bombers. Mother relative flew the bombers as well. He had his beanie with a mark for every mission flown. This should be cool.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Same with mine. He was a tail gunner. I'm not sure what all he went through but he didn't really like talking about his experiences.
    Same here. What we knew about most of his service was through his brothers. He was a tail gunner and they were shot down 9 times. I guess he flew 40 something missions and every guy in that picture with him died as well as four other crew pictures he had, he was the only surviving crew member.

He came home and got married, had kids and drank and drank until he lost his family. He had gone from never seeing a plane to the middle of shit in just a few months.

Sweet. I'm a big WW2 buff and I loved BOB and The Pacific (my grandfather was on an LST). This sounds like it'll be pretty awesome too.

It's misleading for that description to say that The Pacific was the WW2 miniseries about the sea. With the exception of the amphibious landings they made, it wasn't really about the naval battles. It's not as though they talked about The Battle of the Atlantic or something.

Can Indiana Jones be in this one? =(
    The following users like this post: the_Mont

Who are you?
    It says 2001 was the initial release date... So I was in college, playing music in lots of bars, getting drunk and having lots of sex.

So... I'm normal?

It says 2001 was the initial release date... So I was in college, playing music in lots of bars, getting drunk and having lots of sex.

So... I'm normal?
    Yeah, I didn't see it when it came out either, smartass. But you've had 12 years since.
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

Pretty sure I purchased BoB on DVD when I was a freshman in college in '03 and have watched at least 2-3 times a year since, especially the Memorial Day marathon on Spike/History Channel.

Yeah, I didn't see it when it came out either, smartass. But you've had 12 years since.
    I watched The Pacific.

5 * book

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Air-Am...t+****+Germany

Should I read the book? Coincidentally I've been reading for 3 months

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Fortres...lying+Fortress

Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg
    In
    The following users like this post: lauderdaleOU

I watched The Pacific.
    You seriously need to make the time to watch BoB this year.
    The following users like this post: freeeewilly66

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Sweet. I'm a big WW2 buff and I loved BOB and The Pacific (my grandfather was on an LST). This sounds like it'll be pretty awesome too.

It's misleading for that description to say that The Pacific was the WW2 miniseries about the sea. With the exception of the amphibious landings they made, it wasn't really about the naval battles. It's not as though they talked about The Battle of the Atlantic or something.
    Yeah, I noticed that too and think it's also inaccurate. If this series does well, and I expect it will with Hanks & Speilberg, hopefully they'll come full circle and make a fourth series about the sea war in the Pacific. I would love to see a miniseries made about the North Africa/Sicily/Italy theater, with emphasis on Kasserine Pass, El Alamein, Operation Husky and Anzio.

The Eastern front in the European theater would make a great miniseries, but seeing how many atrocities the Germans and Soviets committed and how there was zero American involvement I doubt that story is ever told.

"The Eastern front in the European theater would make a great miniseries, but seeing how many atrocities the Germans and Soviets committed and how there was zero American involvement I doubt that story is ever told."
    +1
    Have you read this book?
    http://www.amazon.com/Armageddon-Ger...rds=Armageddon

fantastic read on the unbelievable inhumanity during the Russian invasion of Germany in 1945.

No, I haven't. There was a thread on S haggy about WW2 movies and the movie "Come & See" was talked about. It's a 1985 Russian made flick and from the reviews I've read online, this quite possibly could be the most graphic war movie ever made. It's definitely something I want to check out.

So out of sheer boredom, I decided to find this thread, in an effort to Google the series for any recent updates. None to be found, but here's the Amazon review for the book the show will be based on.
    Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against **** Germany.

Masters of the Air is the deeply personal story of the American bomber boys in World War II who brought the war to Hitler's doorstep. With the narrative power of fiction, Donald Miller takes readers on a harrowing ride through the fire-filled skies over Berlin, Hanover, and Dresden and describes the terrible cost of bombing for the German people.
    Fighting at 25,000 feet in thin, freezing air that no warriors had ever encountered before, bomber crews battled new kinds of assaults on body and mind. Air combat was deadly but intermittent: periods of inactivity and anxiety were followed by short bursts of fire and fear. Unlike infantrymen, bomber boys slept on clean sheets, drank beer in local pubs, and danced to the swing music of Glenn Miller's Air Force band, which toured U.S. air bases in England. But they had a much greater chance of dying than ground soldiers. In 1943, an American bomber crewman stood only a one-in-five chance of surviving his tour of duty, twenty-five missions. The Eighth Air Force lost more men in the war than the U.S. Marine Corps.

The bomber crews were an elite group of warriors who were a microcosm of America -- white America, anyway. (African-Americans could not serve in the Eighth Air Force except in a support capacity.) The actor Jimmy Stewart was a bomber boy, and so was the "King of Hollywood," Clark Gable. And the air war was filmed by Oscar-winning director William Wyler and covered by reporters like Andy Rooney and Walter Cronkite, all of whom flew combat missions with the men. The Anglo-American bombing campaign against **** Germany was the longest military campaign of World War II, a war within a war. Until Allied soldiers crossed into Germany in the final months of the war, it was the only battle fought inside the German homeland.

Strategic bombing did not win the war, but the war could not have been won without it. American airpower destroyed the rail facilities and oil refineries that supplied the German war machine. The bombing campaign was a shared enterprise: the British flew under the cover of night while American bombers attacked by day, a technique that British commanders thought was suicidal.

Masters of the Air is a story, as well, of life in wartime England and in the German prison camps, where tens of thousands of airmen spent part of the war. It ends with a vivid description of the grisly hunger marches captured airmen were forced to make near the end of the war through the country their bombs destroyed.

Drawn from recent interviews, oral histories, and American, British, German, and other archives, Masters of the Air is an authoritative, deeply moving account of the world's first and only bomber war.

"Waddy Young was Oklahoma's first consensus football All-American and led the Sooners to their first bowl game, the 1939 Orange Bowl."
    http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...052812aaa.html

Shot down attempting to guide a crippled B-29 back to safety during a mission against the Nakajima aircraft factory in Musashino, Japan on January 9, 1945.
    3 users like Nuked's post: Aurora, HeroOfTheDay, oorah_okie

It's a conspiracy! HBO knows this is the only way I will subscribe!!!!!!!

So out of sheer boredom, I decided to find this thread, in an effort to Google the series for any recent updates. None to be found, but here's the Amazon review for the book the show will be based on.
    Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against **** Germany.
    I just finished the book a couple of months ago. Fantastic read and probably one of the more comprehensive books on the 8th Air Force that you'll find. An interesting mix of the stories of the individual pilots and crew members and then how the strategy of the air attacks evolved throughout the war. The author certainly doesn't think too highly of some of the generals running the 8th Air Force.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

Hadn't seen anything about this since it was announced. Filming interviews last month at an Eighth Air Force reunion.

http://www.wsav.com/story/23729160/h...-mighty-eighth

Author and script writer, Donald Miller, said this group of veterans is helping shape the story.

"We are interviewing veterans to get experience we can use in the script and also maybe feature them in opening episodes," said Miller.

Veteran Bob Wolff said he's been asked to share his experience and he hopes it will be eye opening.

"We think we are one of the premier groups, of course every group does, but we are known as the Bloody Hundredth because occasionally when we had losses they were pretty excessive. Most of that was either because we were assigned to fly at a lower altitude or the fighters didn't show up to help protect us," said Wolff.

Lochra said he couldn't be happier his group is in the spotlight.

"It's just super. When I first heard about it I said, well it couldn't happen to be a better group," said Lochra.

The miniseries is still in the script phase, and will be released in 10 parts. There isn't a release date yet, but we'll keep you posted.

11 months and they're still in script phase? It's HBO, so I trust they know what they're doing. I'd guess this airs in fall 2015 or winter 2016.

I loved the first two so bring it on.