Jason Newsted is Back!

Posted 694 day(s) ago 1310 Views 46 Replies

Music Jason Newsted is Back!

and he's pretty bad ass.

You can tell he's not quite used to being the front man in a video, but I love this. So good to see Jason back in the saddle.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

I thought he was deaf now

Whaaa.??

No, not deaf that I know of. If so, he sings really well for a deaf dude.

In many ways, Jason Newsted never left. He's always offered the same high-quality meals at competitive prices.
    5 users like mgsooner's post: AcousticSoup, drumhead23us, HeroOfTheDay, SiggyPoke, SirPrize

Re: Jason Newsted is Back!

Paul is dead.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    In many ways, Jason Newsted never left. He's always offered the same high-quality meals at competitive prices.
    OH MY GOD! I'm sorry but I literally laughed out ****ing loud here

Oh, in b4 Jason's new stuff > Metallica's new stuff

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    Oh, in b4 Jason's new stuff > Metallica's new stuff
    No shit, right?

Seriously, though, this will push Metallica to try harder on the album they're working on. Lars especially is scared to death of Jason overshadowing him. Only good can come from Jason Newsted being in a good metal band...especially one with his name on it.

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    No shit, right?

Seriously, though, this will push Metallica to try harder on the album they're working on. Lars especially is scared to death of Jason overshadowing him. Only good can come from Jason Newsted being in a good metal band...especially one with his name on it.
    Jason Newsted > Dave Mustaine

There I said it

In terms of maybe being able to overshadow Metallica, their former band

There I said it

But who's buying?
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay

For the first time in I can't remember, I actually bought a CD tonight. I went to his site and paid $13 for the EP that comes out in a couple weeks. bonus: it's signed by Jason.

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    But who's buying?
    This thread has made me laugh twice now.

Keep going
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

For the first time in I can't remember, I actually bought a CD tonight. I went to his site and paid $13 for the EP that comes out in a couple weeks. bonus: it's signed by Jason.
    You shoulda spent your money on the new Hatebreed.

Why in that video does the look on his face look like he's having a tough time taking a shit?

There I said it

The sound of my nuts being drug over a cheese grater > Dave Mustaine

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    You shoulda spent your money on the new Hatebreed.

Why in that video does the look on his face look like he's having a tough time taking a shit?
    funny you should say that. i heard a new Hatebreed song today (thank you, XM) so i might be doing just that.

Jason Newsted is Back!

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    That's his stock face. Always been that way.

I respect the hell out of Newsted. Good for him.
    The following users like this post: SirPrize

Highlights from an awesome night

No shit, right?

Fronting a band overshadows a drummer. Lars can go to hell.

This isn't big news, if Cliff Burton came back that would be big news.
    2 users like smot poker's post: drumhead23us, RockFlagandEagle

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    This isn't big news, if Cliff Burton came back that would be big news.
    Burton was badass.

Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    Fronting a band overshadows a drummer. Lars can go to hell.
    Well, I meant Metallica. In the movie, Lars frets quite a bit over Jason's new band (Echobrain, at the time) being successful, and his being "over". I'd like to have been a fly in the wall when they heard his new stuff.

Well, I meant Metallica. In the movie, Lars frets quite a bit over Jason's new band (Echobrain, at the time) being successful, and his being "over". I'd like to have been a fly in the wall when they heard his new stuff.
    After watching "Some Kind of Monster," I lost respect for Lars and James.
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

and Kirk and Dave

Yeah, I may be Earth's biggest Metallica fanboy (sorry, Hero) but that movie was an eye-opener. Lars is so totally unlikable in it, and James came off like a big, spoiled puss. Can't imagine what they were thinking letting that out into the public. At least they didn't let the hollywood people turn it into a reality show like they wanted to at first.

Yeah, I may be Earth's biggest Metallica fanboy (sorry, Hero) but that movie was an eye-opener. Lars is so totally unlikable in it, and James came off like a big, spoiled puss. Can't imagine what they were thinking letting that out into the public. At least they didn't let the hollywood people turn it into a reality show like they wanted to at first.
    My favorite part of that entire film is when Lars' dad listens to St. Anger and basically tells him it sucks. lol
    2 users like mgsooner's post: AcousticSoup, HeroOfTheDay

Originally Posted by Cleavon Little View Post
    and Kirk and Dave
    Kirk is riding the gravy train. Dave, however, crying cause he misses his Danish friend. ****, you're supposed to be metal, Dave. Grow some ****ing bawlz.
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

I used to be a HUGE Metallica fan. I have Creeping Death on vinyl. They lost me after their Load album. I remember vividly from that movie, the band and their therapist was in the studio and when James was leaving the studio, he stoppped in the doorway, looked over his shoulder at Lars, paused, and slammed the door. What a ****ing poo c.

I didn't realize Newsted had a stroke.

They (including Dave) did not adapt well to fortune and fame. Instead of realizing that their edge is why they were popular, both bands made a conscious decision to abandon that edge in the late 90s and search for hit radio singles. As if no one remembered the anti-establishment anger of Peace Sells or Metallica's breaking their boycott of music videos to release One because it was so damn good it needed a video.

This conflict between who they were and who they wanted to be made them all go nutty in time, and dissolve into ****dom. Eventually they both woke the **** up and started heading back to what people wanted out of them, raw yet technical heaviness. They are still trying to rebuild their music to pre-90s intensity.

And when I say "both bands," we all know it was really James and Dave, tyrants of their little sell out kingdoms. They are getting better though, and their new shit, while not amazing, is good enough to build on.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    I didn't realize Newsted had a stroke.
    I didn't know that either.

They (including Dave) did not adapt well to fortune and fame. Instead of realizing that their edge is why they were popular, both bands made a conscious decision to abandon that edge in the late 90s and search for hit radio singles. As if no one remembered the anti-establishment anger of Peace Sells or Metallica's breaking their boycott of music videos to release One because it was so damn good it needed a video.

This conflict between who they were and who they wanted to be made them all go nutty in time, and dissolve into ****dom. Eventually they both woke the **** up and started heading back to what people wanted out of them, raw yet technical heaviness. They are still trying to rebuild their music to pre-90s intensity.

And when I say "both bands," we all know it was really James and Dave, tyrants of their little sell out kingdoms. They are getting better though, and their new shit, while not amazing, is good enough to build on.
    I guess now is the perfect time to post this obligatory meme

The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

A captioned pictures worth a thousand words - getting married probably increased the softness - I can relate

Jason Newsted is Back!

Probably would have been a better song if it were an instrumental.

My favorite part of that entire film is when Lars' dad listens to St. Anger and basically tells him it sucks. lol
    LOL. Yes, that was hard to watch. Lars' dad is cool, though.

I used to be a HUGE Metallica fan. I have Creeping Death on vinyl. They lost me after their Load album. I remember vividly from that movie, the band and their therapist was in the studio and when James was leaving the studio, he stoppped in the doorway, looked over his shoulder at Lars, paused, and slammed the door. What a ****ing poo c.
    That's exactly the scene I was thinking of. It made me think "geez, what a passive-aggressive **** move"

Nobody achieves that level of success and stays hungry. I don't think it's possible. They were literally hungry and pissed off back in the early 80s (and in their late teens/early 20s still). It's hard to keep that edge when you can buy anything you've ever wanted and everything you've ever dreamed about is happening in front of you. It's happened to other heavy bands too, off the top of my head Korn. Say what you will about Nu-Metal and the like, but they were extremely successful, and lost the intensity of their first couple albums too.

I really don't think Metallica made music in the 90s to make "hit radio singles". Listen to the stuff that was successful on the radio from 1990-1993 - Load doesn't sound like that. And really, there wouldn't have been much time for them to be influenced by the flavors of the week because they essentially spent about 2 years on the road touring the Black Album. I think they simply got bored, tried a different direction, a.k.a. "i've always wanted to make a song that sounds like X, I guess now is the time to try it" and it kind of backfired on them.

Is that Troy Polamalu with his hair pulled back?

I guess now is the perfect time to post this obligatory meme

Who would of thought a band that's been going strong for 30 years might change their musical direction/style or overall attitude.

Well Slayer hasn't...but they bore me. Maybe that's why?

I've come to appreciate each of their albums in their own way. Even load and reload. St Anger blew though and was the only one I meet bought. I enjoyed death magnetic.

Btw...people are people. Everyone has time where they become big complaining pussies at some point. Regardless of profession or who they are.

On Some Kind of Monster,

Yes, James, Lars, Kirk, and everyone else involved looked like spoiled children, big ****'s etc. I saw the movie a different way. It's the main reason James Hetfield is my biggest influence as a person, not just because he is a musician, but because he had a very serious problem that was not only effecting his musical career but his family as well. Whereas many other famous celebs/musicians choose to not be serious about seeking help and sadly die as a result of their addictions, James was serious about fixing himself, and he did. That is such a great quality to have. Because he decided to fix himself, we as fans are lucky enough to get to hear new music and see them tour, as opposed to bands where key members died due to their addictions.

Now Lars, he has always been the marketing/business side of Metallica. To become a successful band, I'm sure Lars seriously has to be a dick to people in order to keep the train rolling in the direction they desire. Most people are put off by that, and I completely understand it, but without his dick attitude, I wouldn't of had the pleasure of listening to Metallica at all after I was born.

I might have been too harsh but I think we can agree that Load, Reload, and Risk were going in a direction that was more accessible to the non-metal listener. I doubt it was totally unintentional.

And yes I agree very few in heavy music maintain their intensity very well over the years. Aging will do that to ya. Old Neil Young is more metal than most of the metal guys nowadays, attitude wise.

I'm a different kind of Metallica fan, Load is my favorite album. The lyrics mean so much more to me (Probably because I'm not constantly pissed off about stuff around me) But I love all albums, 90's Metallica is just my generation

The Black album has always been my favorite.

The Rasmussen stuff was almost a totally different band. There's nothing wrong with enjoying their late 90s music. I'm not the guy that says that post-Black album stuff all sucked - it was just way more mainstream that I had been accustomed to hearing from them. They are still a pioneering hard music band and have managed to stay around and make a living for a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed the 30th anniversary stuff - it hearkened back to the old days and showed they still loved that part of themselves.

Anyone has the right to evolve and change, and some will like it and some won't. I was even proud of them for releasing Lulu - it took guts, even if it did kinda suck (and I'm a huge Lou fan).

When you listen to them on shuffle, it's jarring how different the albums sound. Hearing the piss and vinegar of Seek and Destroy or Hit the Lights back to back with Mama Said or The House that Jack Built really shows you how much they changed.

James himself said, "I'm rich now. What do I have to be pissed about."

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    James himself said, "I'm rich now. What do I have to be pissed about."
    Sad But True

Jason Newsted is Back!

Post-Justice, I'll give props to Load and Magnetic.

The Black Album is what it is. An overplayed bunch of stadium anthems. The only songs of that album I'm not sick to death of are "Nothing Else Matters" and "My Friend Misery".

For some reason, Load always stuck out for me for reasons I can't pin a finger on. The opening track "Ain't My ****" is ridiculously sophomoric. But the groove and presentation is undeniable. "Bleeding Me" is my favorite off the album. The slow build throughout the song is very well done. "Hero" is just whimsical enough to make it work.

Honestly, as far as the writing process goes, Load and the Black Album are almost identical. But Load is taken less seriously and more juvenile, which is why it's probably stuck with me the longest of those two commercial albums.

Reload is where they lost me... St Anger sucked a fat diseased dick.

Magnetic was not a commercial album at all. That's what drew me back in. It seems like they wrote the entire album without the mindset of being on the radio. Kinda like they used to do. They're heading back in the right direction.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner