scouts going gay...

Posted 599 day(s) ago by 87sooner3228 Views 181 Replies
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    So, a gay kid is incapable of sexually assaulting another scout? Not saying they all are, but by putting a young boy in a setting like this where their sexual preference is known/almost encouraged, you don't think it's a sticky situation (no pun intended). In other words, why don't they let boys and girls shower together and share living quarters at camp???

I don't really have a problem with it, but like I've said before you guys fail to see the issue with putting people that are sexually attracted to one another in these types of situations. I don't know the answer, but it's not quite as simple as many make it out to be.

Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    So, a gay kid is incapable of sexually assaulting another scout? Not saying they all are, but by putting a young boy in a setting like this where their sexual preference is known/almost encouraged, you don't think it's a sticky situation (no pun intended). In other words, why don't they let boys and girls shower together and share living quarters at camp???

I don't really have a problem with it, but like I've said before you guys fail to see the issue with putting people that are sexually attracted to one another in these types of situations. I don't know the answer, but it's not quite as simple as many make it out to be.
    Kinda like guns, eh?

What types of situations? Like... social situations? Where like.. people have to talk to each other? I think we should probably do a little more of that.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    What types of situations? Like... social situations? Where like.. people have to talk to each other? I think we should probably do a little more of that.
    No, sharing sleeping quarters and community showers. If it's not a problem for a gay boy to shower with other boys and it be somehow acceptable...why wouldn't it be acceptable for straight boy to shower with girls?

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Why is a camp out any different than an away game?

Would you be uncomfortable letting your 15 year old daughter attend he state tournament if her coach was a man?
    if it was an overnight camp/away game .....yes.....i would be uncomfortable....especially if the coach was sleeping in the room with my daughter....

Think there are any counselors of the opposite sex at Falls Creek?

Does that make you "uncomfortable?"
    of course there are male and female counselors at falls creek....
    they are not sharing sleeping/bathroom areas with the kids of the opposite sex....

Why do you bring pedophilia up in every homosexual thread?

Why not any other issue that you believe is a mental affliction?
    i did not bring up pedophilia......i mentioned sandusky.......then cub brought up pedophiles when he started his game of symantics....

I guess what I'm saying is. Right now, it's easy to generally accept that girls room/shower in the same quarters with girls and boys with boys. If you're telling me we're going to encourage a kid to think their homosexuality is acceptable, then I can only believe it would be a matter of time before they were comfortable enough to assault another kid. If there IS no risk of that, then why would we have had separate accommodations for boys/girls over the years?

I guess what I'm saying is. Right now, it's easy to generally accept that girls room/shower in the same quarters with girls and boys with boys. If you're telling me we're going to encourage a kid to think their homosexuality is acceptable, then I can only believe it would be a matter of time before they were comfortable enough to assault another kid. If there IS no risk of that, then why would we have had separate accommodations for boys/girls over the years?
    What does understanding your sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of have to do with assaulting someone else?
    2 users like Troker's post: McRib, party1234

scouts going gay...

Because the original intent to separate men and women's facilities is not because men are just going to assault women if they are together..

Our private parts and functions are engrained into our worlds as just that.. Private.

Women don't just have their own rooms and bathroom because men are ****s..

Originally Posted by Troker View Post
    What does understanding your sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of have to do with assaulting someone else?
    The rate we're going kids are becoming more and more comfortable discussing their homosexuality. We're talking about teenage boys here. I'm only making the tiny leap that there's a reason we've kept those same boys away from their desires over the years. I just don't see why this is different. As long as it carries a bit of taboo, not many would act out on these feelings.

The rate we're going kids are becoming more and more comfortable discussing their homosexuality. We're talking about teenage boys here. I'm only making the tiny leap that there's a reason we've kept those same boys away from their desires over the years. I just don't see why this is different. As long as it carries a bit of taboo, not many would act out on these feelings.
    What does acting out on these feelings have to do with assaulting someone?
    The following users like this post: party1234

Because the original intent to separate men and women's facilities is not because men are just going to assault women if they are together..

Our private parts and functions are engrained into our worlds as just that.. Private.

Women don't just have their own rooms and bathroom because men are ****s..
    I'd assume that's the MAIN reason for keeping teenagers' facilities separate. I find it hard to believe it's because one needs a tampon and one doesn't.

You make a good point about "private parts". I guess that pretty much flies out the window now. Why would it be different for a homosexual kid?

What does acting out on these feelings have to do with assaulting someone?
    Why don't we let a girl shower/sleep with a bunch of boys at camp???

For the record, my point really isn't as much about a gay kid assaulting another kid, but rather our ability to distinguish what MIGHT be "safe".

Is it because if we didn't separate them boys would be going around sexually assaulting girls with reckless abandon alla Clockwork Orange? And if that's the case, do you think that's what happens when a kid is taught to not be ashamed of who he is attracted to? Do you think that the next thought in his head is "Well, since I'm not an abomination, it's okay for me to do whatever I want regardless of other people's feelings."
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

scouts going gay...

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Like a retreat or a tent in the woods style camp out?
    I think they stayed in tents and cabins in different years, but I'd have to double check - it's been about 10 years & might even be different now. It's on some private land donated for the express purpose of Girl Scout Camps. When I went to GS Camp as a little girl (not sure where it was), we had those small tent cabins with wood frames & canvas walls that fit about 4 people each.

Is it because if we didn't separate them boys would be going around sexually assaulting girls with reckless abandon alla Clockwork Orange? And if that's the case, do you think that's what happens when a kid is taught to not be ashamed of who he is attracted to? Do you think that the next thought in his head is "Well, since I'm not an abomination, it's okay for me to do whatever I want regardless of other people's feelings."
    No, I don't. You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, but just want to argue.

If there's no issue, why don't we just let boys and girls shower together from the time they are kids? I say, the taboo behind homosexuality has allowed for this issue to not become so apparent.

No, I don't. You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, but just want to argue.

If there's no issue, why don't we just let boys and girls shower together from the time they are kids? I say, the taboo behind homosexuality has allowed for this issue to not become so apparent.
    You do understand that what goes in a bathroom/locker room is separated by gender for reasons beyond sexual attraction, right? And you also understand that just because you see someone you're attracted to in a private (bathroom, shower etc.) situation doesn't mean you automatically become sexually ravenous, right?

I say the taboo behind homosexuality has allowed people to hide behind the fact that they are afraid of what they don't understand and has cost us thousands of lives.

scouts going gay...

Eh, it's alright if they're enacting this policy on their own, might even be a good thing. But I was not OK with people filing lawsuits in an attempt to force them to change. I believe the Supreme Court agreed with me.

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    Eh, it's alright if they're enacting this policy on their own, might even be a good thing. But I was not OK with people filing lawsuits in an attempt to force them to change. I believe the Supreme Court agreed with me.

just like the churches splitting......i expect there will be a split in the boy scouts of america if this policy change happens.....

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    just like the churches splitting......i expect there will be a split in the boy scouts of america if this policy change happens.....
    Really?

Did you even read the article?

Also, to 31's points, it is rare that individuals would share he same stall or shower. Just like in 99% of situations I would have no problem taking my young daughter into a men's room, we probably should have no real problem with genders sharing facilities (the issue being we utilize different hardware in said facilities)

scouts going gay...

Really?

Did you even read the article?

Also, to 31's points, it is rare that individuals would share he same stall or shower. Just like in 99% of situations I would have no problem taking my young daughter into a men's room, we probably should have no real problem with genders sharing facilities (the issue being we utilize different hardware in said facilities)
    I only take my daughters into a men's room as a last resort. They're typically filthy.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    I only take my daughters into a men's room as a last resort. They're typically filthy.
    Lol. Me too.

The fact that she might be ogled on her way into the stall does not even weigh into the decision.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

I can promise you separate facilities have little to do with different needs. You're just being naive. Why have separate sleeping quarters? I mean if there's no concern, then why separate them?

If your daughter goes off to camp, do you want her sleeping in the same cabin with 10 boys - let's say they are all 12-15 years old. If not, why not?

BTW, Troker, I'm not really contending there will all of a sudden be tons of sexual assaults, but I don't think you're recognizing how the teenage boy's mind works...sex is pretty much all they think about at some point..

Lol. Me too.

The fact that she might be ogled on her way into the stall does not even weigh into the decision.
    So, you'd take her into the men's shower (community shower) at say, the "Y"? Let her shower with you?

scouts going gay...

So, you'd take her into the men's shower (community shower) at say, the "Y"? Let her shower with you?
    No. I don't want athlete's foot, and I don't want her to get it either.

Wtf is wrong with you?

Are you ok with gays in the scouts as long as there isn't a community shower?

Wtf is wrong with you?

There's NOTHING wrong with me. I have kids and don't want to have to deal with that issue...like we don't have to really deal with boy/girl issues now.

I'd say, yes, we will have to do away with the "community shower".

BTW, I noticed you didn't answer the question.

I will avoid this whole debate and just take my kids camping myself.
    2 users like smot poker's post: Bk2X, Section31

There's NOTHING wrong with me. I have kids and don't want to have to deal with that issue...like we don't have to really deal with boy/girl issues now.

I'd say, yes, we will have to do away with the "community shower".

BTW, I noticed you didn't answer the question.
    I would not be comfortable, it has nothing to do with possible sexual advances from others in the shower, though.

You didn't answer my question either, btw...unless your affirmative at the opening of your second sentence was directed at being ok with gays as long as community showers (no campground I attended as a child had these...they had separate stalls and curtains) are eliminated.

I would not be comfortable, it has nothing to do with possible sexual advances from others in the shower, though.

You didn't answer my question either, btw...unless your affirmative at the opening of your second sentence was directed at being ok with gays as long as community showers (no campground I attended as a child had these...they had separate stalls and curtains) are eliminated.
    I DID answer your question. I think. Which question?

Why uncomfortable? I wasn't implying there would be sexual advances.

The following users like this post: Section31

This question.

Why uncomfortable? I wasn't implying there would be sexual advances.
    Because it drastically changes the timetable for which to explain certain aspects of human existence.

This question.
    I answered that...more or less. Like I said, I don't have as much of an issue with gays in the organization, but realize there are issues like this that arise. Fix the issues and I don't really have a problem with it.

Because it drastically changes the timetable for which to explain certain aspects of human existence.
    OK. I think you're being a LITTLE dishonest, but not that far off. This topic DOES bring to question...why are we so concerned with sexual orientation as a topic with prepubescent children? There's got to be a fine line there some where between discussing questions like this that a child might have as opposed to ENCOURAGING it. It's definitely an interesting process. I can tell you as a parent of an 18 year old girl and a 16 year old boy, we didn't really talk about sex feelings as a general topic a lot. We DID discuss any questions they might have and talked in generalities, but it seems more and more parents want to encourage kids to explore this more and more at a younger age. My kids didn't date until they were 16. MANY kids were dating as early as 6th grade and it was encouraged by some parents.

OK. I think you're being a LITTLE dishonest, but not that far off. This topic DOES bring to question...why are we so concerned with sexual orientation as a topic with prepubescent children? There's got to be a fine line there some where between discussing questions like this that a child might have as opposed to ENCOURAGING it. It's definitely an interesting process. I can tell you as a parent of an 18 year old girl and a 16 year old boy, we didn't really talk about sex feelings as a general topic a lot. We DID discuss any questions they might have and talked in generalities, but it seems more and more parents want to encourage kids to explore this more and more at a younger age. My kids didn't date until they were 16. MANY kids were dating as early as 6th grade and it was encouraged by some parents.
    I don't think BSA is encouraging it...just not prohibiting it (and if he article is true, it is necessary if the BSA wants to continue on, as funding has taken a big hit due to their prohibition)

if it was an overnight camp/away game .....yes.....i would be uncomfortable....especially if the coach was sleeping in the room with my daughter....

of course there are male and female counselors at falls creek....
    they are not sharing sleeping/bathroom areas with the kids of the opposite sex....
    Falls Creek is where everyone goes to get laid now, truth

been that way for quite some time now

I like the new Eagle Scout Medal

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post

don't believe everything you read on landthieves....

I don't think BSA is encouraging it...just not prohibiting it (and if he article is true, it is necessary if the BSA wants to continue on, as funding has taken a big hit due to their prohibition)
    I agree. I think it's the PARENTS (and gay/lesbian orgs) that are encouraging it...as far as I can tell, I'm not sure the BSA would even care/know about a gay "kid" and their desires unless a parent told them. Not sure the kids we're talking about really talk about sexuality at a BS meeting nor should they.

don't believe everything you read on landthieves....
    but what if you are the one writing it?

I was in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, never made it to Eagle Scout and didn't really care to. Got kicked out for lighting fires everywhere I went and one kinda burned part of the campsite down.

Having said that, found out later that one of the people in my group was gay and never knew it growing up. Didn't affect me then, doesn't affect me now.

For the record, my point really isn't as much about a gay kid assaulting another kid, but rather our ability to distinguish what MIGHT be "safe".
    These are the same questions and arguments we've been having in the military for a while now.

My personal opinion is the same for both. I don't care if gay people serve or not. I don't feel like they NEED to tell people they are gay if they do not want to. They should be fully aware that people have reservations about it and that they might open themselves up for ridicule.. I don't think that is fair.. but that is the way of the world.. and probably will be for a while.

My frustration lies in the fact that my wife and I are both military, but if I'm in her room while deployed.. I am losing a stripe... but if I was gay with another gay male in my room.. everything is just fine.

I assume the real reason other than assault is baby making isn't conducive to war.

I was in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, never made it to Eagle Scout and didn't really care to. Got kicked out for lighting fires everywhere I went and one kinda burned part of the campsite down.

Having said that, found out later that one of the people in my group was gay and never knew it growing up. Didn't affect me then, doesn't affect me now.
    I imagine a lot of Eagle Scouts are gay, that's why they stayed in scouting and didn't pursue athletic glory or girls.

are you sure it didn't effect you? maybe the fire lighting problem was a result of your subconscious no longer being able to contain the thoughts of the gay sex you had with your group "butty"....

87....is your boy in scouts?

Chuck Norris weighs in:

The Boy Scouts of America are reconsidering their long-standing ban on gay scout leaders. It is a topic expected to be discussed at next week’s convention in Texas. In an email to Reuters, a BSA spokesperson said:

“The policy change under discussion would allow the religious, civic or educational organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting to determine how to address this issue.”

The Supreme Court upheld the Boy Scouts ban on gay leaders in 2000; but recently at least two board members are working to change the policy from within.

Churches, right wing organizations and individuals are weighing in with their disapproval, with some Southern Baptists ministers suggesting they will start to sponsor other boys organizations. And yesterday Chuck Norris penned a letter railing against BSA board member James Turley, Chairman and CEO of Ernst and Yonge—and friend of Obama—who is pushing to open up the organization. Norris states the White House has likely “prodded [Turley] with perks and favors.”

The spokesman said that the organization is not reconsidering its ban on atheists.

Perhaps ol' Chuck should just use his own coin to replace the millions of dollars that the organization no longer gets from the United Way because of their stance.

Money talks.