I'd be in favor of hiring Mangino.

Posted 610 day(s) ago by boomermagic3591 Views 88 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by madillsoonerfan5353 View Post
    Heupel and any other offensive coach are the problems. Why doesn't Millard touch the ball more? Who our we offensively? We do not do anything great on offense. We do some good things, but when it comes down to the nut cutting we 52 all over the field! I will be willing to bet that Heupel and company do not implement any zone read or read option game with Bell. This would be to his strength and Heupel doesn't play to his teams strengths. See Millard.
    Kevin Wilson didn't do as well with Landry Jones as the QB either. With that said, yes, OU should give the ball to Millard more and Heupel should quit changing tempos in the same series and OU needs to pick an offensive philosophy that doesn't fall into the category of "a little bit of everything", because that philosophy doesn't work in the big games.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    I have heard he has lost a lot of weight. I think he's still considered obese, but not near as big as he was. FYI...
    If he's lost weight, it's been VERY recently. The link is a pic of him in our local BBQ pit last August (his son was our OC @ the time, he's since taken a GA position at Arkansas).

http://talksec.com/818810/coach-mangino

Re: I'd be in favor of hiring Mangino.

He was at the TCU game and he was still large and in charge.

No to Mangino. Yes to the ucla O-line coach.

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    ND kicked OU's ass, so I'm trying to remember that you are a smart guy. Why would they make a coaching change before NSD? Then deal with decommits? That makes no sense and neither does Mark Rodgers.
    He said that the news would be out before NSD, possibly by tomorrow. I was't commenting as to it's accuracy.

As for ND kicking OU's ass, I actually predicted OU would beat ND. I was adimant OU wouldn't blow ND out (especially before the season had even started), which made people on here very mad. Obviously I was pleasantly suprised.

Originally Posted by jvrat View Post
    We don't need an altar boy to tell us anything. Get lost Rudy jr.
    I don't remember asking you if you needed anything. Why don't you get lost?

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    He said that the news would be out before NSD, possibly by tomorrow. I was't commenting as to it's accuracy.

As for ND kicking OU's ass, I actually predicted OU would beat ND. I was adimant OU wouldn't blow ND out (especially before the season had even started), which made people on here very mad. Obviously I was pleasantly suprised.
    Thanks for the info Irish.

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    Yes, thanks for having an avatar of Lying **** crushing Happy Feet.

I know many of you don't like the Animal but Mark Rodgers said there is a coaching change that much of the public will enjoy and be in favor of that will occur before NSD. Just letting you guys know.
    The fact that no OU fan started a post on this board about what could be significant coaching news
    just shows us how far WWLS has fallen in the eyes of most OU fans.

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    No problem. I might add that it sounded like it was a positive thing, not like Stoops is leaving or something like that. He acted as though it would be a positve addition to the staff. Just thought some of you guys might want to know.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The fact that no OU fan started a post on this board about what could be significant coaching news
    just shows us how far WWLS has fallen in the eyes of most OU fans.
    I only listen to Rodgers most of the time. I listen while I'm at work. Sometimes I just as soon listen to the junk on the animal as I do the junk on the music channels.

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    He is so big as to be in poor health. I think he needs to lose at least 200lbs to regain some health and be effective as a coach. He also needs therapy for his temper. Part of the reason for being fired at Kansas was because of his out of control temper on the field. Did not bode well for the school's image. I am not in favor of hiring him.
    You hit the nail on the head, he has got to get healthy. The sad thing is he has had a lot of down time to do so.

what's this about OU making some coaching changes? Mark Rodgers said they are bringing in some big-time names after NSD is over

Re: I'd be in favor of hiring Mangino.

I only listen to Rodgers most of the time. I listen while I'm at work. Sometimes I just as soon listen to the junk on the animal as I do the junk on the music channels.
    To be fair I listened to it as well and unless he gave more info as the show went on. He said. I am hearing OU is going to make changes the masses are going to happy about. I dont know when its going to happen, but if I had to guess it would be after national signing day. Criag tried to dig and Mark wasnt giving up much more info than that.

We get it IrishFan, Notre Dame won

You may move on

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    We get it IrishFan, Notre Dame won

You may move on
    I'm not the one who brought it up. And I never onced rubbed it in after it happend in October. I could, for you, if you like, however.

ND kicked OU's ass, so I'm trying to remember that you are a smart guy. Why would they make a coaching change before NSD? Then deal with decommits? That makes no sense and neither does Mark Rodgers.
    Can't decommit once you sign, thats the point I think hes trying to make

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    This one, maybe..
    Okay...I LOL'd when I saw this...thanks!

Mangino would run off half of the linemen, but the ones who stayed would be pretty good.

Think of how many opposing coaches would remind players of who Mangino is while recruiting against us. No thank you.

Originally Posted by EastSideSooners View Post
    Can't decommit once you sign, thats the point I think hes trying to make
    No, that's the point I'm trying to make. He said "before" NSD. I'm saying wait until after.

No, that's the point I'm trying to make. He said "before" NSD. I'm saying wait until after.
    If it was an beneficial addition to the staff, which is how I intereprted what Mark was saying (but could be wrong), how would that hurt NSD?

If it was an beneficial addition to the staff, which is how I intereprted what Mark was saying (but could be wrong), how would that hurt NSD?
    Well as a know-nothing fan I wouldn't really know. I'm not aware of what coaches are telling players. If players are aware and they have been recruiting as such then there wouldn't be any problems. But as mentioned earlier, the change of Venables and Martinez did have an impact on players last year. So, you can see that a surprise change can have a negative impact on recruiting, but a positive change that recruits are aware of would have a minimal to no impact. Agree?

Lots of revisionist history here. Sorry, I am not enough of a Pollyanna to forget that by far the worst OL during Stoops' tenure and the least amount of commitment to the running game were on Mangino's watch. Not to mention he would be AIDS on the recruiting trail.
    2 users like eddyjizza's post: OU812, srburkhart

I'm not the one who brought it up. And I never onced rubbed it in after it happend in October. I could, for you, if you like, however.
    Will you please? I'm bored

Originally Posted by eddyjizza View Post
    Lots of revisionist history here. Sorry, I am not enough of a Pollyanna to forget that by far the worst OL during Stoops' tenure and the least amount of commitment to the running game were on Mangino's watch. Not to mention he would be AIDS on the recruiting trail.
    Did you forget the only NC OU has won with Bob as head coach also had Mangino as OC ? I think the good would outweigh{Pun intended} the bad.

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Did you forget the only NC OU has won with Bob as head coach also had Mangino as OC ? I think the good would outweigh{Pun intended} the bad.
    No, but that is about as flawed of logic as it gets.

Originally Posted by eddyjizza View Post
    No, but that is about as flawed of logic as it gets.
    Maybe, Maybe not.

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Purely coincidence. Any of our OC's would have been fine on the 2000 team. Do you know why?

It's because we actually played DEFENSE!! Our offense and running game had plenty of struggles with Mangino. Our D and ST were really good back then. Mangino is NOT the answer. I have a novel idea. Why don't we search for the best candidate, not Bobs friends.
    The following users like this post: SECsooner

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Purely coincidence. Any of our OC's would have been fine on the 2000 team. Do you know why?

It's because we actually played DEFENSE!! Our offense and running game had plenty of struggles with Mangino. Our D and ST were really good back then. Mangino is NOT the answer. I have a novel idea. Why don't we search for the best candidate, not Bobs friends.
    Or another out of work fired coach ala Mike Stoops and Kim Tush. Best coach is a novel idea to Bob.

I'd be in favor of hiring Mangino.

Of course boomermagic would want to hire Mangino back. He isn't very smart.
    2 users like fdubzou's post: oorah_okie, Soonerlife

I wouldn't be against what you suggest but I still wouldn't be against Mangino either.. He is a proven coach.

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    Of course boomermagic would want to hire Mangino back. He isn't very smart.
    Wow, Talk about not being smart.. heh..

I'm in favor of hiring ANYONE that can help this team! If that someone turns out to be Big Mark then so be it! Just get rid of the weak links and get some new blood in here! ...
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

FWIW. I thought heard someone on the Animal say that Carey Murdoch was reporting that Patton was gone. Not sure who said it, and I can't link the radio show?? I haven't seen this reported on here.

Is Mangino working anywhere now?

Crickets.

Why would OU need somebody that nobody else wants?

Why would OU need somebody that nobody else wants?
    I'll bite....

To keep company with the other 2 or 3 coaches we already have that no one else wants?
    The following users like this post: OUrage

Originally Posted by tcrb View Post
    I'll bite....

To keep company with the other 2 or 3 coaches we already have that no one else wants?
    ZING!!!