Things being taught from creationist textbooks

Posted 603 day(s) ago by usaosooner1702 Views 90 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Re: Things being taught from creationist textbooks

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Galileo says hi.

Even catholics don't disagree that what they did was wrong. They have changed.

Mainline fundamentalist Christians are regressing to the point that they are no longer happy teaching "intelligent design" in private schools. Their insanity has leaked into public schools and is going to have disastrous effects on the generations of kids that are taught intelligent design is as valid as evolution.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post

Mainline fundamentalist Christians are regressing to the point that they are no longer happy teaching "intelligent design" in private schools. Their insanity has leaked into public schools and is going to have disastrous effects on the generations of kids that are taught intelligent design is as valid as evolution.

please detail the "disastrous effects" you foresee........

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    please detail the "disastrous effects" you foresee........
    They will turnout like you.

/thread.
    3 users like URNotserious's post: brokebacksooner, Gary Manilow, greensooner

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    My kids have used A Beka texts in their schools. At no point have they been taught the KKK is swell or that the Trail was a good thing.
    Same here. We used both...and they were actually VERY good text books for both science and history. NOTHING AT ALL about any of these things. This is nothing more than a ploy to bring more hatred against Christianity(or religion). Seems to be all the rage now a days.

No wondr i am so messed up...I went to Catholic skhools threw 8th grade....

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    Same here. We used both...and they were actually VERY good text books for both science and history. NOTHING AT ALL about any of these things. This is nothing more than a ploy to bring more hatred against Christianity(or religion). Seems to be all the rage now a days.
    you don't think it was all the rage up until this point in history that Christianity ruled supreme? that Christianity did it's fair share of hatred towards anything not deemed Christian or religious? We don't live in a world anymore where a majority believe in God, you should open your eyes and realize that people have different beliefs and everyone should be allowed to worship or don't worship in any manner they believe as long as it doesn't infringe on others

I won't shit on your religion, don't shit on my beliefs either is my mantra

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    you don't think it was all the rage up until this point in history that Christianity ruled supreme? that Christianity did it's fair share of hatred towards anything not deemed Christian or religious? We don't live in a world anymore where a majority believe in God, you should open your eyes and realize that people have different beliefs and everyone should be allowed to worship or don't worship in any manner they believe as long as it doesn't infringe on others

Ipsos Global @dvisory: Supreme Being(s), the Afterlife and Evolution

Belief in Supreme Being(s) and Afterlife Accepted By Half (51%) of Citizens in 23 Country Survey, But Only 28% Are ‘Creationists’

Monday, April 25, 2011
    New York, NY — A poll conducted by global research company Ipsos for Reuters News finds that one half (51%) of global citizens definitely believe in a ‘divine entity’ compared to 18% who don’t and 17% who just aren’t sure.
    Similarly, half (51%) believe in some kind of afterlife while the remaining half believe they will either just ‘cease to exist’ (23%) or simply ‘don’t know’ (26%) about a hereafter. Lastly, the survey revealed that four in 10 (41%) believe in human evolution compared to 28% who believe in creationism and 31%of the global population who is unsure what to believe.
    The findings are from a survey conducted in 23 countries among 18,829 adults (see list and methodology below).
    http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/p...e.aspx?id=5217

How is anything he said or a text used in a Christian school an assault on you or your beliefs?

How is anything he said or a text used in a Christian school an assault on you or your beliefs?
    I never said he did, that last sentence is just how I live my life...never pointed to him as doing anything of the sort

reread for context, I never pointed a finger at him...if that's how it comes across then mea culpa...that's just my beliefs

I think most people actually do believe in a deity of some kind.

The Roman Catholic Church did terrible things during the crusades that were NOT in line with biblical New Testament apostolic Christianity that was taught from Christ.

I'm not crapping on your beliefs either.

I think most people actually do believe in a deity of some kind.

The Roman Catholic Church did terrible things during the crusades that were NOT in line with biblical New Testament apostolic Christianity that was taught from Christ.

I'm not crapping on your beliefs either.
    just to be clear nole I didn't mean it in the context that you were doing anything of the sort, just stating my belief on the situation

For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. R'Amen.
    2 users like Gary Manilow's post: Aurora, The Baconator®

just to be clear nole I didn't mean it in the context that you were doing anything of the sort, just stating my belief on the situation
    Understood. Just understand that biblical Christianity of often very different than what was portrayed in the crusades or often even today.

Here is something that a Christian did, said, or believes in that is ****ing stupid..............

All Christians are ****ing stupid.

Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    Here is something that a Christian did, said, or believes in that is ****ing stupid..............

All Christians are ****ing stupid.
    Ironic post

Ironic post
    No, its redundant.

I'm pretty sure he needed to put that into a meme for full effect..

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

The Christian school I went to opened in 1977. The first graduating class was in 1987, which was my older sisters class. Since 1987, 96% of all the graduates went on to college, 72% of those finished with a degree. We've had three graduates (that we know of) that have been convicted of a crime.
    The Christian school my kids attend opened in 1979 and they have had a 98% rate of graduates go in to college and 83% finishing with a degree.

Unlike public schools, my kids get hugged by their teachers when they come in to class, when they've had a rough day and when they leave for the day. At the same time they aren't coddled regarding discipline, accountability and integrity.

Christian schools teach that regardless of what the government or society teaches, there are consequences to bad decisions. There is wrong and there is right. There really aren't gray areas. "Black is black, white is white, hell is hot and sin ain't right" was what our Bible teacher used to say. You can't move along and move ahead without putting in effort and at all times you represent God, your family, your church and your school and you should hold yourself to higher standards.

What's the worst that happens to a Christian school graduate? They respect authority, love their parents, probably don't lie, cheat, steal, won't have had any kids while in school, and are a lock to get into and finish college.

I can't think of anybody from my high school who is unemployed or unemployable and everybody I can think of has promoted or excelled in their line of work. I guess we're all bad for society because we think the earth is 10,000 years old, God flooded the earth and that mankind is inherently flawed.
    2 users like SoCaliSooner's post: oucub23, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    The Christian school I went to opened in 1977. The first graduating class was in 1987, which was my older sisters class. Since 1987, 96% of all the graduates went on to college, 72% of those finished with a degree. We've had three graduates (that we know of) that have been convicted of a crime.
    The Christian school my kids attend opened in 1979 and they have had a 98% rate of graduates go in to college and 83% finishing with a degree.

Unlike public schools, my kids get hugged by their teachers when they come in to class, when they've had a rough day and when they leave for the day. At the same time they aren't coddled regarding discipline, accountability and integrity.

Christian schools teach that regardless of what the government or society teaches, there are consequences to bad decisions. There is wrong and there is right. There really aren't gray areas. "Black is black, white is white, hell is hot and sin ain't right" was what our Bible teacher used to say. You can't move along and move ahead without putting in effort and at all times you represent God, your family, your church and your school and you should hold yourself to higher standards.

What's the worst that happens to a Christian school graduate? They respect authority, love their parents, probably don't lie, cheat, steal, won't have had any kids while in school, and are a lock to get into and finish college.

I can't think of anybody from my high school who is unemployed or unemployable and everybody I can think of has promoted or excelled in their line of work. I guess we're all bad for society because we think the earth is 10,000 years old, God flooded the earth and that mankind is inherently flawed.

That's a whole lot of blanket statements, generalizations, and assumptions, mainly the bolded part. Maybe you had an outstanding class, maybe you are just exaggerating to the extreme, but I went to Catholic school and trust me, we don't all come out perfect. I know a couple guys in jail, and more than a few of us are now atheists while still "excelling in our line of work."

I don't think you are bad for society for thinking the earth is 10,00 (6,000?) years old. Go ahead and teach whatever you want in private schools. But in public schools, lets stick to teaching science in science class, instead of fairy tales.

Originally Posted by Gary Manilow View Post
    That's a whole lot of blanket statements, generalizations, and assumptions, mainly the bolded part. Maybe you had an outstanding class, maybe you are just exaggerating to the extreme, but I went to Catholic school and trust me, we don't all come out perfect. I know a couple guys in jail, and more than a few of us are now atheists while still "excelling in our line of work."

I don't think you are bad for society for thinking the earth is 10,00 (6,000?) years old. Go ahead and teach whatever you want in private schools. But in public schools, lets stick to teaching science in science class, instead of fairy tales.
    I would say, in general, there was a huge difference in the students that graduated from the elite local catholic school and our schools. We kicked any bad apples out while at the catholic school they would have them meet with the priest and confess, and often keep them in school along with their destructive ways. It was also where most of the wealthy people put their kids.

If paying tuition is a financial hardship, I guarantee you that parents stay invested in their kids education. As far as the science goes, much of the evolutionary stuff my dad learned changed by the time I was in school and its changed even more that my kids are in school. Things that were supposed facts then are less so now. Most of the counter points to intelligent design are that a lot of stuff just was floating around and a series of improbable events just happened to come together and produce life and that life evolved into humans. To get around the total impossibility they just throw a shitload of time at it and say it happened over millions or billions of years.

Since nobody was around during that time, it's all theory anyway.

Show me where all private schools are better than all public schools. That is a bizarre assertion for you to make without any proof.

I just watched the PBS show, Independent Lens from last night, Texas is all kinds of ****ed up on science and history thanks to religious people. Stay out of public education and keep your young earth intelligent design bullshit in your madrassas.

No sane state resident should fund this kind of nonsense: http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marb...na-tax-dollarsAURORA AND MCRIB, READ THIS ****ING LINK
    Anyone who asserts the Trail of Tears was god's way to bring the indians to christ (this is in an a beka book), can go right ahead and **** themselves.

Holy crap, the people who believe the shit in that link are ****ing idiots and should not be educating anyone.

I would say, in general, there was a huge difference in the students that graduated from the elite local catholic school and our schools. We kicked any bad apples out while at the catholic school they would have them meet with the priest and confess, and often keep them in school along with their destructive ways. It was also where most of the wealthy people put their kids.

If paying tuition is a financial hardship, I guarantee you that parents stay invested in their kids education. As far as the science goes, much of the evolutionary stuff my dad learned changed by the time I was in school and its changed even more that my kids are in school. Things that were supposed facts then are less so now. Most of the counter points to intelligent design are that a lot of stuff just was floating around and a series of improbable events just happened to come together and produce life and that life evolved into humans. To get around the total impossibility they just throw a shitload of time at it and say it happened over millions or billions of years.

Since nobody was around during that time, it's all theory anyway.
    Yeah, you're right. Since our understanding of the world around us changes over time we should just disregard it altogether, or lump it in with the ideas with zero factual basis. And since a series of improbable events is an "impossibility" as you put it, putting a few zeros on the end of it what, settles it? That's pretty much carbon dating in a nutshell, right? Say it was a really long time ago and call it a day? I guess it's all theory, so lets accept that there is just as much of a possibility of the big bang as the flying spaghetti monster, regardless of any evidence whatsoever.

Yeah, you're right. Since our understanding of the world around us changes over time we should just disregard it altogether, or lump it in with the ideas with zero factual basis. And since a series of improbable events is an "impossibility" as you put it, putting a few zeros on the end of it what, settles it? That's pretty much carbon dating in a nutshell, right? Say it was a really long time ago and call it a day? I guess it's all theory, so lets accept that there is just as much of a possibility of the big bang as the flying spaghetti monster, regardless of any evidence whatsoever.
    TLDR version: I know I'm wrong but at least I can act like a pretentious jerk while being wrong.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

[QUOTE=SoCaliSooner;1066444]I would say, in general, there was a huge difference in the students that graduated from the elite local catholic school and our schools. We kicked any bad apples out while at the catholic school they would have them meet with the priest and confess, and often keep them in school along with their destructive ways. It was also where most of the wealthy people put their kids.

Since nobody was around during that time, it's all theory anyway.[/QUOTE]

lets say there was a house fire and nobody was home to see how it started. the fire department puts out the fire and the home owners arrive and they want to know what caused the fire. i doubt the firemen will shrug their shoulders and say" we don't know, maybe it was caused by a supernatural force" no, they would probably do an investigation, during the investigation they will look for evidence of what caused the fire and after the investigation they will write a report on their investigation based on the evidence they found and come to a logical conclusion.
    that's what scientist do, too. events in the past leave traces that last into the present, and scientist can and do look at that evidence.

[QUOTE=surus;1067152]

Since nobody was around during that time, it's all theory anyway.[/QUOTE]

lets say there was a house fire and nobody was home to see how it started. the fire department puts out the fire and the home owners arrive and they want to know what caused the fire. i doubt the firemen will shrug their shoulders and say" we don't know, maybe it was caused by a supernatural force" no, they would probably do an investigation, during the investigation they will look for evidence of what caused the fire and after the investigation they will write a report on their investigation based on the evidence they found and come to a logical conclusion.
    that's what scientist do, too. events in the past leave traces that last into the present, and scientist can and do look at that evidence.

The problem with your scenarios is that firefighters see hundred of these fires from start to finish and can recreate and diplicate the settings to know what is fact. I am still waiting for some scientist to make a new life form out of some primordial soup.

[QUOTE=SoCaliSooner;1067209]
    Originally Posted by surus View Post

The problem with your scenarios is that firefighters see hundred of these fires from start to finish and can recreate and diplicate the settings to know what is fact. I am still waiting for some scientist to make a new life form out of some primordial soup.
    hehe the process is the same, scientist do thousands of test and re-create settings, too.

i think you would agree that re-creating a house fire is much easier than re-creating life. give science some time

do you think that because we haven't discovered a way to make life from "primordial soup" that it somehow disproves evolution?

[QUOTE=surus;1067258]

hehe the process is the same, scientist do thousands of test and re-create settings, too.

i think you would agree that re-creating a house fire is much easier than re-creating life. give science some time

do you think that because we haven't discovered a way to make life from "primordial soup" that it somehow disproves evolution?
    Evolution and God do not have to be exclusive, despite many people's efforts on both sides of the argument to make them so.
    2 users like oucub23's post: Jenn and tonic, pphilfran

i can see your point, oucub23

how life came to exist is not relevant to evolution.

Went to the Creation Evidence Museum in Glen Rose, Tx yesterday. Was told that the clay in the riverbed was 4000 years old and the limestone underneath was 5000. Unless of course you are an "evolutionist" (pejorative) who thinks it is 65 million years older. They said they found an iron cup in the carbon layer where oil, gas and coal come from. And I was told that rock strata only exist in textbooks.

The guy claimed to have found a sandal fossil with a trilobyte imprint in the pre-flood layer.

I gave him $20 for letting us come in after hours and walked off in disbelief. These are the people that want to teach your children intelligent design at the very least, and abolish evolution from the classroom. "Moderate" Christians on this board who offer no evidence that text books don't say what the quotes say, please fix this sect of your religion before they destroy us.

Are you being serious? This doesn't seem like a place you'd visit. If you did what was the motivation?

Hike into the Grand Canyon. Or take mules to the bottom or raft it. Look up.

Mind. Blowing.

SouthPark said it best. Do you think maybe evolution is the answer to how and not why?

On difficult subjects I always refer to what Stan and Kyle have to say.

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Are you being serious? This doesn't seem like a place you'd visit. If you did what was the motivation?
    As a heart attack. We had nothing to do after seeing the dinosaur tracks at the State Park next door so thought we would see some real science at the Museum.

Are those **** and balls on the bottom right?

Oh...and they misspelled Cook(e)ville Tennessee
    The following users like this post: Section31

Originally Posted by surus View Post
    i can see your point, oucub23

how life came to exist is not relevant to evolution.
    People forget that the problem with religion and spirituality isn't God--it's people.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

TLDR version: I know I'm wrong but at least I can act like a pretentious jerk while being wrong.
    Thank you for contributing. You bring so much sensibility so the table. Any other substantial thoughts?

Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    Are those **** and balls on the bottom right?

Oh...and they misspelled Cook(e)ville Tennessee
    That is a fossil that proves that evolution isn't real. It spans more than one strata.

The funniest thing was how proud the poor volunteer was of that wall. He was the nicest man in the world for showing us around after hours, but I wanted to punch him out of his fever dream when he said "this wall doesn't exist in nature, only in textbooks "

They literally said that they found a sandal footprint fossil from the pre flood era. I didn't bother asking how they recovered it from beneath the coal and hydrocarbon layers.

These people read a beka and Bob Jones university press textbooks.

Thank you for contributing. You bring so much sensibility so the table. Any other substantial thoughts?
    Sure. This board has several of them in numerous threads. I even offered some in this thread. And I was accurate in my assessment of your post.

People forget that the problem with religion and spirituality isn't God--it's people.
    It's the people following god I agree. That is why so many people are killed over religious bs.

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    It's the people following god I agree. That is why so many people are killed over religious bs.
    They aren't following God if they are doing those things. What you're describing is what Oldman's character wanted to do in Eli--that's not people following God, it's people using the name of God to get people to follow them.